islam and judaism

ahmad al magtani

Kulo Nuwun
:salam2:

By Abd Moqsith Ghazali*

The connections made between Islam and Judaism are invariably negative. Many Muslims here popularly accept racist stereotypes of Jews – that they are dishonest, rude and even wicked. These ideas are based on a story that has the Jews in Medina breaking an accord signed with early Muslims known as the Medina Charter. Most people believe the conflict between Muslims and Jews started from that moment.

It is true that a Jewish group, the Bani Mushthaliq under the command of al-Harits bin Abi Dlirar had even planned to kill Prophet Muhammad. The Prophet smelled the conspiracy, which led to a war. It is certainly true that this plot remains in the background of the sectarian conflict that rages on even now in Palestine.

Because of this story, Muslims have come to the conclusion that all Jews are dishonest. Koranic versus used to back up this intolerant opinion include this one: “Jews and Christians would never agree with you until you follow their beliefs (al-Baqarah 2:120).”

Another says: “many of them (Christians and Jews) are willing to bring you away from God after you are faithful, because they are envious of you after they realize the truth (al-Baqarah 2:109).”

However, these verses have been taken out of context. They were actually a specific response to the ideas of strongly anti-Muslim Jews, such as Ka’ab bin al-Asyraf, Hayy bin Akhthab, Abu Yasir bin Akhthab and Syas bin Qais al-Yahudi, who wanted to force Muslims into a form of Judaism. Unfortunately, while these verses were once seen correctly; as reflecting the social-political context of their time; they are now being used to generalize about Jews.

Most well-educated people understand that generalization is a form of oversimplification. History has proven many times that not all Jews hold such antipathy for Muslims.

Prophet Muhammad was 12 years old in 582, when he accompanied his uncle, Abu Thalib, on a trading caravan to Syam. After reaching Boshra city, they met Buhaira (also known as Jirjis or Sirjin), a rabbi.

The rabbi told them that there were three people who were going to change the world at that time, namely himself, Rubab al-Syana and one other person they were still waiting for. The most important, according to him, was the young man behind him, Muhammad.

On the second trip, Muhammad took to Syam, along with his companion Maysarah to do business for Khadijah (before she became his wife), Nestor, a rabbi, spoke about the prophecy of Muhammad. It was two Jews, therefore, who first recognized that Muhammad was the next prophet -- Buhaira and Nestor.

Some Jews even died for the Prophet. Mukhayriq, a Jew from Bani Tsa’labah, a clever and rich farm owner in Medina, was an early defender of Muhammad. When Mukhayriq heard about planned war against Muslims in Mecca, Mukhayriq called his followers to commit to the Medina Charter.

The charter stated that defending Muslims from outsiders’ attacks was right. When he was criticized for fighting on the Sabath (Holy Saturday), Mukhayrîq answered that helping Muhammad did not bring disgrace to the Sabath. He also insisted that Muhammad would be his inheritor.

“If I die in war, then all my belongings must be handed over to Muhammad so God can guide him,” Mukhayriq said.

He prepared a sword then headed to Uhud Hill for a battle in which he died. Mukhayrîq is a prototype of Jew who was devoted and strongly committed to upholding the agreement.

The Jews also once helped Muslims to conquer Andalusia. In the era of Daulah Abbasiyah, Jews – along with Christians and Shabi’ah – also helped in governing the province. At that time many Jews translated valuable Greek literature and books into Arabic.

It is hoped that these examples will help Muslims here to understand that there have always been people in the Jewish community who think objectively and act fairly in organizing their relationships with Muslims. Without an understanding of this, interfaith dialogue is not possible.

As in all groups, there are good guys and bad guys – and this is no different with the Jews. They are nowhere near as bad as some of us may imagine.

*The writer is a researcher at the Wahid Institute .

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

Thank you so much for posting this. Sometimes I am incrediably dishertened to read stereotypes and hate words against all Jews in general. (I've even had to correct some people here about doing this) I have to remind them that prophets have been Jewish and that they should use their intellect and also the actions of Rasool (peace be upon him) to circumscribe their thoughts and behavior towards Jews.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

cmelbouzaidi

Assalamu alaikom

You are right, Sister Sarah. We should never lump a huge group of millions of people under one stereotype. It is an easy thing to do and is mostly done out of ignorance. Look at the stereotyping we Muslims face more than ever today?! Just because I have a problem with the way the Israeli authorities treat Palestinians and occupy their land, it does not mean I should be against all Jews. I wonder how many people know that there are many Jews that are absolutely opposed to the occupation of Palestine and all that goes with it. Yet, you do not hear much about that on mainstream media at all. They may be a minority within the state of Israel but they are still a sizeable group trying to make noise.

The best example, as you say, is our beloved Prophet Mohammed, peace be upon him, who dealt fairly and respectfully with people of different faiths he encountered, Jews and Christians alike :) If only we could follow closely his behaviour, how wonderful this would be for our service to Allah and our representation of Islam. Let us all aspire to this and, Insha Allah, each one of us can make a positive difference, Ameen.

Wassalam

island muslim

Salaam,

Thank you so much for posting this. Sometimes I am incrediably dishertened to read stereotypes and hate words against all Jews in general. (I've even had to correct some people here about doing this) I have to remind them that prophets have been Jewish and that they should use their intellect and also the actions of Rasool (peace be upon him) to circumscribe their thoughts and behavior towards Jews.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

Wa alaiykum salaam sister,

I agree with sister hijabi for there are many good jews who do not support the zionist israeli oppression of our brothers and sisters in palestine. For example the orthodox jews of nutrei karta http://nkusa.org you can see them demonstrating against the Israeli occupation and oppression of palestine.

Sister I would like to ask you permission to send you some questions I need to clear up with regard to certain jewish beleifs I heard If you dont mind. If you do mind I would understand and not have a heavy heart either so just let me know. I like to learn more about judaism so I know where they are coming from.

Barakallah feeki ya ukhti.

massi

Salaam,

Wasalaam

~Sarah

excuse me my sister but any profete was a Jew ...no one ...:astag:

*Saniyah*

ukhtikum fillaah

And who is Abd Moqsith Ghazali?
After googling his name, I get that he's The coordinator for the Liberal Muslim Network.
What means liberal here?
2005-06-30-moqsith-bp.jpg
Is this his picture?

A sidenote:
Position of the Scholars
All the ‘ulama’ (scholars) of as-Salaf us-Salih (the Righteous early Muslims),
including the Four Imams, agree that shaving the beard is haram
(prohibited). They consider shaving it an impermissible mutilation, as has
been reported from Umar Bin Abdul Aziz- [At-Tarikh by Ibn Asakir]. They
considered the man who shaved his beard effeminate. Many of them would
not accept his testimony or allow him to lead the prayers.

*Saniyah*

ukhtikum fillaah
excuse me my sister but any profete was a Jew ...no one ...:astag:

:wasalam:

Exactly, they were all muslims and they were sent to the jews, who in most cases tried to kill them, that is also one reason why they earned Allaah's wrath.

ahmad al magtani

Kulo Nuwun

And who is Abd Moqsith Ghazali?
After googling his name, I get that he's The coordinator for the Liberal Muslim Network.
What means liberal here?
2005-06-30-moqsith-bp.jpg
Is this his picture?

A sidenote:
Position of the Scholars
All the ‘ulama’ (scholars) of as-Salaf us-Salih (the Righteous early Muslims),
including the Four Imams, agree that shaving the beard is haram
(prohibited). They consider shaving it an impermissible mutilation, as has
been reported from Umar Bin Abdul Aziz- [At-Tarikh by Ibn Asakir]. They
considered the man who shaved his beard effeminate. Many of them would
not accept his testimony or allow him to lead the prayers.

yes he is,what i want to share, is about his objective thougth,not subjective,
about beard?he is indonesian and believe me many man in my country or shouth east asia really have no beard or little beard,should we have use fake beard on??

*Saniyah*

ukhtikum fillaah
yes he is,what i want to share, is about his objective thougth,not subjective,
about beard?he is indonesian and believe me many man in my country or shouth east asia really have no beard or little beard,should we have use fake beard on??

It's actually a "liberal muslim's" thought, or should we say a "moderate muslim's" thought?
http://www.wahidinstitute.org/english/content/view/12/40/
Vision
The WAHID Institute seeks to expand the vision and intellectual principles of H.E. Abdurrahman Wahid or Gus Dur for the development of moderate Islamic thought to promote democratic reform, religious pluralism, multiculturalism and tolerance amongst Muslims both in Indonesia and around the world.

There is no such thing as moderate Islam. Islam is one and the same as in the time of the Prophet sallallahu aleyhi wa sallam, it's perfect and IT DOES NOT NEED any democratic reforms to make it moderate. :astag:

Democracy is not part of our religion, it's in fact kufr. The only valid law is the Divine Law of Allaah subhana wa ta'ala, Shari'ah.

As for the beard, whatever grows he should let it grow even if he thinks it doesn't suit him, because every time he shaves he's committing a sin.

*Saniyah*

ukhtikum fillaah
The misguidance of the Jews with regard to ‘aqeedah
we know where the christians went wrong, where did the jews go wrong ?

Praise be to Allaah.​
Undoubtedly the mistakes that the Jews made are more serious than those which the Christians made, although both of them have erred and are kaafirs. The Qur’aan mentions a number of the ways in which the Jews went astray.
1. Among them there is a group which claims that Allaah has a son, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“And the Jews say: ‘Uzair (Ezra) is the son of Allaah, and the Christians say: Messiah is the son of Allaah. That is their saying with their mouths, resembling the saying of those who disbelieved aforetime. Allaah’s Curse be on them, how they are deluded away from the truth!”
[al-Tawbah 9:30]
2. They described Allaah as having shortcomings, and they killed the Prophets and Messengers of Allaah, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“The Jews say: ‘Allaah’s Hand is tied up (i.e. He does not give and spend of His Bounty).’ Be their hands tied up and be they accursed for what they uttered. Nay, both His Hands are widely outstretched. He spends (of His Bounty) as He wills”
[al-Maa’idah 5:64]
“Indeed, Allaah has heard the statement of those (Jews) who say: ‘Truly, Allaah is poor and we are rich!’ We shall record what they have said and their killing of the Prophets unjustly, and We shall say: ‘Taste you the torment of the burning (Fire).’”
[Aal ‘Imraan 3:181]
3. They distorted the word of Allaah, i.e., the Tawraat (Torah). Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“So, because of their breach of their covenant, We cursed them and made their hearts grow hard. They change the words from their (right) places”
[al-Maa’idah 5:13]
“Then woe to those who write the Book with their own hands and then say, “This is from Allaah,” to purchase with it a little price! Woe to them for what their hands have written and woe to them for that they earn thereby”
[al-Baqarah 2:79]
4. They deserved the curse of Allaah, because of what Allaah has said about them. Allaah says:
“Those among the Children of Israel who disbelieved were cursed by the tongue of Dawood (David) and ‘Eesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary). That was because they disobeyed (Allaah and the Messengers) and were ever transgressing beyond bounds.
They used not to forbid one another from Al-Munkar (wrong, evildoing, sins, polytheism, disbelief) which they committed. Vile indeed was what they used to do”
[al-Maa’idah 5:78-79]
The lies that they have fabricated against their Prophets are many, such as the following:
1. The Jews claimed that the Prophet of Allaah Sulayman (Solomon) was an apostate and that he worshipped idols, as mentioned in I Kings 11:5.
2. The Jews claimed that Loot (Lot) – peace be upon him – drank wine and committed incest with his two daughters, as mentioned in Genesis 19:30ff.
3. The Jews claimed that the Prophet of Allaah Ya’qoob (Jacob) committed theft, as mentioned in Genesis 31:12.
4. The Jews claim that the Prophet of Allaah Dawood (David) committed adultery, as a result of which Sulaymaan (Solomon) was born to him, as mentioned in II Samuel 11:4.
-- and so on, may Allaah curse them and put them to shame.
Allaah and His Messenger cursed them in numerous places in the Qur’aan and Sunnah because of their shameless actions. For example, Allaah says (interpretation of the meanings):
“And they say, ‘Our hearts are wrapped (i.e. do not hear or understand Allaah’s Word).’ Nay, Allaah has cursed them for their disbelief, so little is that which they believe.
And when there came to them (the Jews), a Book (this Qur’aan) from Allaah confirming what is with them [the Tawraat (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel)], although aforetime they had invoked Allaah (for coming of Muhammad) in order to gain victory over those who disbelieved, then when there came to them that which they had recognized, they disbelieved in it. So let the Curse of Allaah be on the disbelievers”
[al-Baqarah 2:88-89]
“Among those who are Jews, there are some who displace words from (their) right places and say: ‘We hear your word (O Muhammad) and disobey,’ and ‘Hear and let you (O Muhammad) hear nothing.’ And Raa‘ina [in Arabic, this means ‘Be careful, listen to us, and we listen to you’, whereas in Hebrew, it means ‘an insult’] with a twist of their tongues and as a mockery of the religion (Islam). And if only they had said: ‘We hear and obey’, and ‘Do make us understand,’ it would have been better for them, and more proper; but Allaah has cursed them for their disbelief, so they believe not except a few.
O you who have been given the Scripture (Jews and Christians)! Believe in what We have revealed (to Muhammad) confirming what is (already) with you, before We efface faces (by making them like the back of necks; without nose, mouth and eyes) and turn them hindwards, or curse them as We cursed the Sabbath-breakers. And the Commandment of Allaah is always executed.”
[al-Nisaa’ 4:46-47]
“So, because of their breach of their covenant, We cursed them and made their hearts grow hard. They change the words from their (right) places and have abandoned a good part of the Message that was sent to them. And you will not cease to discover deceit in them, except a few of them”
[al-Maa’idah 5:13]
“Say (O Muhammad to the people of the Scripture): ‘Shall I inform you of something worse than that, regarding the recompense from Allaah: those (Jews) who incurred the Curse of Allaah and His Wrath, and those of whom (some) He transformed into monkeys and swines, and those who worshipped Taaghoot (false deities); such are worse in rank (on the Day of Resurrection in the Hell-fire), and far more astray from the Right Path (in the life of this world).”
[al-Maa’idah 5:60]
“The Jews say: ‘Allaah’s Hand is tied up (i.e. He does not give and spend of His Bounty).’ Be their hands tied up and be they accursed for what they uttered. Nay, both His Hands are widely outstretched. He spends (of His Bounty) as He wills. Verily, the Revelation that has come to you from your Lord (Allaah) increases in most of them (their) obstinate rebellion and disbelief. We have put enmity and hatred amongst them till the Day of Resurrection. Every time they kindled the fire of war, Allaah extinguished it; and they (ever) strive to make mischief on the earth. And Allaah does not like the Mufsidoon (mischief-makers).
[al-Maa’idah 5:64]
And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:
“May Allaah curse the Jews, for they have taken the graves of their Prophets as places of worship.”
“May Allaah curse the Jews: fat was forbidden for them, but they melted it down and sold it,”
These two hadeeths are both narrated in Saheeh al-Bukhaari.
Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) described them well when he said:
“The nation upon whom is the Divine wrath are the Jews, the people of lies, slander, betrayal, conspiracy and trickery, the killers of Prophets and consumers of ribaa (usury) and bribes. They have the most evil hearts of all nations, and the worst attitude. They are the farthest removed from (divine) Mercy and the closest to (divine) wrath. Their way is enmity and stirring up hatred. They represent the house of witchcraft, lies and trickery. They do not see anything wrong in rejecting and disbelieving in Prophets whom they did not like. With regard to a believer, they respect not the ties, either of kinship or of covenant [cf. Al-Tawbah 9:10]. They do not respect the rights of those who agree with them, or show any compassion towards them, nor do they show any justice or fairness to those who work with them. There is no safety or security for those who mix with them, and there is no sincerity towards those who use their services. The most evil of them is the one who is most intelligent, and the cleverest one among them is the one who cheats the most. The one who is good at heart – which it is unlikely to find among them – is not a Jew in any real sense. They are the most bad-tempered of people, with the gloomiest houses and the filthiest courtyards. They have very bad manners – their greeting is a curse, and meeting them is bad news. Their slogan is wrath and they are filled with hatred.”
(Hidaayat al-Hayaaraa, p. 8)
These are just a few drops from a flood of information. Whoever researches the matter will find out a great deal about their shameful actions and the forms that their kufr and deviation take. We ask Allaah to suppress them, humiliate them, put them to shame and defeat them, and to grant the Muslims victory over them sooner rather than later. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad:saw:.
And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

ahmad al magtani

Kulo Nuwun
assalamualaikum

It's actually a "liberal muslim's" thought, or should we say a "moderate muslim's" thought?
http://www.wahidinstitute.org/english/content/view/12/40/
Vision
The WAHID Institute seeks to expand the vision and intellectual principles of H.E. Abdurrahman Wahid or Gus Dur for the development of moderate Islamic thought to promote democratic reform, religious pluralism, multiculturalism and tolerance amongst Muslims both in Indonesia and around the world.

There is no such thing as moderate Islam. Islam is one and the same as in the time of the Prophet sallallahu aleyhi wa sallam, it's perfect and IT DOES NOT NEED any democratic reforms to make it moderate. :astag:

Democracy is not part of our religion, it's in fact kufr. The only valid law is the Divine Law of Allaah subhana wa ta'ala, Shari'ah.

As for the beard, whatever grows he should let it grow even if he thinks it doesn't suit him, because every time he shaves he's committing a sin.

Sister,i think you should differ democratic with shari'ah,shariah is law in islam democracy is not,in islam we know about (syuraa) it is like discuss together to make any decision.

example is when the election of caliph after Prophet Muhammad PBUH past away,then the shahaba(prophet companion)gathering ummah to elect the caliph.they discuss who is the candidate and do election.so i think there is democracy in islam

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member
The founder of wahid Institute (Abdur Rahmaan Wahid) seems to be a total sold out.

He in mentioned several times in the infamous RAND report (to combat Islam, Aaoozubillah!).

I quote

Traditionalists and Sufis probably constitute the large majority of Muslims.
They are often, but not always, conservative Muslims who uphold
beliefs and traditions passed down through the centuries—1,400 years
of Islamic traditions and spirituality that are inimical to fundamentalist
ideology, as stated by Abdurrahman Wahid.12

Quote 2

Ibu Nuriyah, wife of former Indonesian president Abdurrahman Wahid, has
published exegetical studies aimed at combating polygamy through the
reinterpretation of Quranic concepts and injunctions.

Quote3:
An extreme and perverse ideology in the minds of fanatics is what
directly threatens us (specifically, Wahhabi/Salafi ideology—a minority
fundamentalist religious cult
fueled by petrodollars). Yet underlying,
enabling and exacerbating this threat of religious extremism is a
global crisis of misunderstanding.

AllahuAa'lam!

*Saniyah*

ukhtikum fillaah
Sister,i think you should differ democratic with shari'ah,shariah is law in islam democracy is not,in islam we know about (syuraa) it is like discuss together to make any decision.

example is when the election of caliph after Prophet Muhammad PBUH past away,then the shahaba(prophet companion)gathering ummah to elect the caliph.they discuss who is the candidate and do election.so i think there is democracy in islam

Democracy is a man-made system, meaning rule by the people for the people. Thus it is contrary to Islam, because rule is for Allaah, the Most High, the Almighty, and it is not permissible to give legislative rights to any human being, no matter who he is.
It says in Mawsoo’at al-Adyaan wa’l-Madhaahib al-Mu’aasirah (2/1066, 1067):​
Undoubtedly the democratic system is one of the modern forms of shirk, in terms of obedience and following, or legislation, as it denies the sovereignty of the Creator and His absolute right to issue laws, and ascribes that right to human beings. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):​
“You do not worship besides Him but only names which you have named (forged) — you and your fathers — for which Allaah has sent down no authority. The command (or the judgement) is for none but Allaah. He has commanded that you worship none but Him (i.e. His Monotheism); that is the (true) straight religion, but most men know not”​
[Yoosuf 12:40]​
“The decision is only for Allaah”​
[al-An’aam 6:57]

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/107166

ahmad al magtani

Kulo Nuwun
Assalamualaikum

sister saniyah i agree they did a lot of bad things,thats why we try to give them enlightment not kill them All.....if they fight us then we must fight back and never retreat at palestine for example,Rasullullah is Rahmatan Lil alamin......

*Saniyah*

ukhtikum fillaah
The founder of wahid Institute (Abdur Rahmaan Wahid) seems to be a total sold out.

He in mentioned several times in the infmaous RAND report (to combat Islam, Aaoozubillah!).

I quote

Traditionalists and Sufis probably constitute the large majority of Muslims.
They are often, but not always, conservative Muslims who uphold
beliefs and traditions passed down through the centuries—1,400 years
of Islamic traditions and spirituality that are inimical to fundamentalist
ideology, as stated by Abdurrahman Wahid.12

Quote 2

Ibu Nuriyah, wife of former Indonesian president Abdurrahman Wahid, has
published exegetical studies aimed at combating polygamy through the
reinterpretation of Quranic concepts and injunctions.

Quote3:
An extreme and perverse ideology in the minds of fanatics is what
directly threatens us (specifically, Wahhabi/Salafi ideology—a minority
fundamentalist religious cult fueled by petrodollars). Yet underlying,
enabling and exacerbating this threat of religious extremism is a
global crisis of misunderstanding.

AllahuAa'lam!

Masha'Allaah brother.
I'm not surprised at all! A "RAND-muslim" according to their definition is not a muslim at all!

ahmad al magtani, I recommend to you this lecture:
http://www.al-mizaan.org.uk/Audio/Lectures/Anwar%20Al-Awlaki/The%20Battle%20of%20the%20Hearts%20and%20Minds.mp3

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member

Masha'Allaah brother.
I'm not surprised at all! A "RAND-muslim" according to their definition is not a muslim at all!

ahmad al magtani, I recommend to you this lecture:
http://www.al-mizaan.org.uk/Audio/Lectures/Anwar%20Al-Awlaki/The%20Battle%20of%20the%20Hearts%20and%20Minds.mp3

Wa Alaykum As Salaam Alaykum Sister,

This should surprise you...

All Muslims irrespective to their sects consider Ahmadiyyah to be out of fold of Islaam. But this this Gazali guy seems to be their spokesperson....

By Imam Ghazali Said*
Just over an hour after the Inter-religious Forum appointed me to be a spokesperson for the Ahmadiyah on April 24;

from their website

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

Please feel free to ask any questions, if I am able to answer them I will, inshallah. A while back I began a thread "Ask a former Jew a question"....maybe I should start another.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

Zafran

Muslim Brother
Salaam

I totally agree with the original poster - the sterotype of jewish people should stop and has no place in Islam.

Also the Prophets of Islam like David,Isa,Solomon and Musa (peace be on them all) were from Jewish ethnicity even though what they preached was Islam and therefore being Muslim too.

To deny there ethnicity isnt right just like Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) was an arab.