Islam and Art

Saifadin_Qutuz

Nemesis of Decadence
Salam fellows.

Its sad indeed. In every European capital you see a big well respected art gallery and museum.
I am studying Art History in university, and most of the art is western and not very much islamic. Basiccaly, the art of islam and architecture fell when islam started to fall as well. So you can see, during the Abbasids, and muslims in Spain and Morrocco, as well as the early Ottomans and the mameluks, art was flourshing.. but as time progressed.. only the western art became more better and improved..

cedric098

Assalamu alaykum

whats that mean? We are meant to stop people innovating in Islam. It is perfect, no need to add any new way of worship or any new ideas into Islam.

Introduction to what is (Bidah) Innovation

wasalam.

Ooopppss! wrong expression, sorry about that, I meant prohibition which is not in the deen, there's a grammatical mistake, which completely distorts the meaning i wanted to convey, in my previous post! :SMILY27:

I mean adding new prohibitions or preventing people from doing something that's not actually forbidden in deen... Isn't this also bidah? ...

For instance using my computer to follow qur'an verses is my method of reciting qur'an... is this bidat? well, if someone says "don't do it it's not ok!" he would prohibit something which is not prohibited actually by prophet or Allah and this prohibition would be bidah, not reading qur'an using computer! And I think some people, probably unintentionally, add such new prohibitions to deen! That's what I am worried about!

cedric098

Salam fellows.

Its sad indeed. In every European capital you see a big well respected art gallery and museum.
I am studying Art History in university, and most of the art is western and not very much islamic. Basiccaly, the art of islam and architecture fell when islam started to fall as well. So you can see, during the Abbasids, and muslims in Spain and Morrocco, as well as the early Ottomans and the mameluks, art was flourshing.. but as time progressed.. only the western art became more better and improved..

Assalamu Aleykum

Thank you brother! Finally some comment about art! I opened the topic expecting such responses but it turned into a "bidah" discussion, mostly because of me to be honest, anyway, since you are a muslim art history student do you have anything more to share with us regarding islamic teachings about art and their interpretations or anything from history of islamic art!

Saifadin_Qutuz

Nemesis of Decadence
Assalamu Aleykum

Thank you brother! Finally some comment about art! I opened the topic expecting such responses but it turned into a "bidah" discussion, mostly because of me to be honest, anyway, since you are a muslim art history student do you have anything more to share with us regarding islamic teachings about art and their interpretations or anything from history of islamic art!

Salam :)

Okaay, its my first year in university and the class is basically about "western art", so not very much islamic, but I have a small idea hopefully :)

Well you see, "art" to some tribes, might not have meant art as we interpret it today.. it might have meant something more, divine, something they gave high praise and had a great meaning in their lives.
I'll give you an example. The prehistoric people who lived in caves. We view their "art" and animal drawings on the walls as art right? But was it really just a hobby and wasting time? not quite. Their drawings on caves had a more "higher" meaning to them. They tried to reach the depth of the earth, and to the most difficult places just to change the outside invironment and be closer to the "divinity" or higher "force" that drove them. They drew animals, feasts, hunts and people hunting why?? was it because its just the "art" we view it today? no. They believed that drawing those animals, feasts and hunting, their life would become more prosperous and easy. That the goods and living necessities would come to them easiyer, and they wanted to be in favour of those "forces" they believed atracted these life necessities and food. This might have a relation to the older Islamic works? I know not exactly.
Ok I think I am sailing aliitle bit off topic? :rolleyes:

Anyway. I believe, "art", if not opposing any of Islams teachings, is fine. The Prophet pbuh, said take your zinah whenever you got to the mosque. What is zinah? it is a form of art and fashion. Then look at the magnificent mosque minarets in ancient Iraq, art? yes art! but for the sake of religion and pleasing ones self in feeling closer to the divine. See the old islamic handwrittings and manuscripts. Didnt the writers show how "artistic" they were? they did..
See the Quran, and its cover. Wouldnt you concider that a form of art? I would.

Thing is, as time progressed, the ideology of art became more "naturalistic". Meaning that artists tried to show things in their works exactly as how it showed in real life, good example would be the Mona Lisa. Islamic art though, didnt not have that view, but exceled in their art in other ways such as architecture.

Hope I helped, and thanks. Its kind of long :D

salam

Sheba_770

Also an art lover

Assalamu Aleykum my beloved brothers and sisters

It's really sad to see that aesthetic and art has not been practiced in any way in the Islamic world for a very long time... I'm sooo fond of and proud of all the islamic art that's been made in the past (esp. architecture)... For me, art is the most intellectual communication tool of a civilization which, unfortunately, requires prosperity and welfare.....And we all see how western civilization uses art (esp music,film,theater eg... well, any kind of creative activity) to convey it's messages and we all know how effective this is. Just think what we could achieve for da'waa if we had a "weapon" like Hollywood!

What I want to learn is where you place art and aesthatic in Islam ... What's halal and what's haram? I'm especially talking about the visual (any kind you can think of..., performing arts and sculpture,painting eg.) and musical arts... I' would be very glad if you support your arguments with related ayat and hadiths!

Take care, May Allah gather us all by al-kawthar around Rasulullah inshaAllah!!! May His blessings, protection and love be upon you!:arabi1:
Salam aleikum,
It is so refreshing to hear your extremely intelligent point of view. I agree one hundred percent with your ideas, for I am also a lover of art. I believe those closest to God are inspired by him, therefore there creations are magnificent .Hitler even thou he was a dictator and focus mainly in war strategies ,He also new to respect art and ordered to keep the parthenom in one piece.unfortunatly when turkey invaded ,they did not have the same respect for art, they destroyed the pillars and stored ammunition in that great magnificent historical building. As far as Hollywood is concern it would be a great tool if used accordinatly, unfortunatly it has been monopolized by Jewish influence. It certanly does seem shallow to be focusing in eyebrow plucking or beard trims or to wear or not to wear make up. fourtunes are never quite remembered but art is immortalized. I have great respect for you and your ideas may Allah reward you greatly. If I have offended someone, it was not my intention please forgive me. I am just trying to express myself the best i can. Sheba

cedric098

Thank you Saifadin! It is very interesting indeed!!!!

Well, what i think about art is; it's a reflection of the beauty, which Allah created and perception of which he put into our minds. Art is not meant to challenge Allah (Astaghfirullah!). Art is not created by humans, it's indeed created by Allah, but in the hands of humans!.. Why do we love beauty? because it's in our Fitrat (natural instict in us created by Allah) to love it! Our first ancestors,Adam and Eve(pbut), descended from Heaven, which is pure beauty!!! So humans have the perception of beauty and look for it in anything they have....

When I see a beautiful piece of artwork I say: "Woow, subhanallah, what gifts Allah bestows on us!" and it turns into another reason for me to praise Allah

I don't know, it depends on your perceptions and intentions I think! Artistic activity might cause KIBR in some people as well, which is very dangerous!

May Allah protect us from the tricks of Shaytan!!!

Saifadin_Qutuz

Nemesis of Decadence
Thank you Saifadin! It is very interesting indeed!!!!

Well, what i think about art is; it's a reflection of the beauty, which Allah created and perception of which he put into our minds. Art is not meant to challenge Allah (Astaghfirullah!). Art is not created by humans, it's indeed created by Allah, but in the hands of humans!.. Why do we love beauty? because it's in our Fitrat (natural instict in us created by Allah) to love it! Our first ancestors,Adam and Eve(pbut), descended from Heaven, which is pure beauty!!! So humans have the perception of beauty and look for it in anything they have....

When I see a beautiful piece of artwork I say: "Woow, subhanallah, what gifts Allah bestows on us!" and it turns into another reason for me to praise Allah

I don't know, it depends on your perceptions and intentions I think! Artistic activity might cause KIBR in some people as well, which is very dangerous!

May Allah protect us from the tricks of Shaytan!!!

yes, I agree with you :)
Mostly, everything is judged by our "niyah" or intention.
The prophet pbuh said, "Inama al a'amalu bil niyat" (sorry, writting it in English sounds funny :p). Meaning, that the jobs and work we do and want to comit, all depends on our intention.
For example a surgeon for example. His intention is to quickly as possible heal a dying person.. but!! he comitted a stupid fatal mistake. It is bad alright.. but what was his niyah? what was his intention?? it was a good one for sure.. to try to keep the person alive with the help and will of God..

:)

Oh and btw, My avtar is a drawing I made :p

Submitter

:salam2:

For those of you that are interested, there is a 3 part series starting on Channel 5 today called "Glories of Islamic Art". Today's episode is on at 7:15pm. Kind of short notice I know but I only just found out myself, sorry :tongue:

Wasalam