sheikh Fahd Al-Kanderi-- Surat Sad (Verses 30-70)(Eng. Sub.)--Ramdan 1427H/2006

truthseeker

:salam2:

From taraweeh prayer (Ramdan 1427H/2006), a recitation by sheikh Fahd Al-Kandari of verses 30-70 of Sûrat Sad (Surah 38 of the Holy Qur'an). There is an English translation of the meaning of the verses.

Note: (Background to understand verse 44) During the ailment of Ayyûb (Job), his wife used to beg for him, and Satan told her a word of disbelief to say and she told her husband [Ayyûb (Job)]; so he became angry with her and took an oath to strike her one hundred lashes. So Allah ordered Ayyûb (Job) to fulfil his oath by striking her with the bundle of thin grass. (Tafsîr Al-Qurtubi,).

[vg]-1573448512352269744[/vg]

SHAH01

i dont understand.... duz this mean the quran ses it is ok to beat ur wives for something they do wrong?? i normally understand nd this is the 1st time ive had 2 ask a question on the internet. i jus ddnt undastand wat it meant

truthseeker

In the Name of Allâh,
the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

I would like to start by saying that I’m not a scholar and so take what you read here as an opinion.

I just want to point few things and maybe other brothers and sisters can shed more light on this matter.

First, the issue of "beating" wife in Islam have been discussed in this site, I guess, several times. One thread is here
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268

Second, the verses you talk about came in the context of the story of Prophet Ayyûb (Job) (PBUH). I really don't have the knowledge to tell whether "beating" wife was allowed or not during prophet Ayyûb time (PBUH). If it was allowed, under what circumstance and how?

Third, the reason must have been very serious to the degree that Prophet Ayyûb made such an oath. However, Allah also give Ayyûb "an escape" to fulfill his oath without hurting his wife by ordering him to use light leaves. According to some scholars, he took 100 light leaves and hit his wife once to fulfill the oath. This is also show us that a husband is not to hurt his wife even if she make a serious mistake.

Fourth, there is disagreement between scholar whether the permission in the above verse apply to Prophet Ayyûb (PBUH) only or is it general (i.e. apply to everyone)

Fifth, the subtitle in the video are translation of MEANING of the verse not the verse itself. The interpretation of this verse in this video is based on Tafsîr Al-Qurtubi
and there could other interpretation by other scholars.

Allah knows best