MUSLIMS FIRED DUE TO DRESS CODE......

amirah80

*Fear Allah*
Muslims Claim Discrimination In Company Dress Code

Last Edited: Wednesday, 28 May 2008, 7:24 AM EDT
Created: Wednesday, 28 May 2008, 7:24 AM EDT

MyFox Faith By The Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS -- A group of Muslim workers claim they were fired by a New Brighton tortilla factory for refusing to wear uniforms rather than their traditional loose-fitting skirts and scarves, according to a civil liberties group.

Six Somali women claim they were ordered by a manager to wear pants and shirts they considered immodest by Islamic standards, the Council on American-Islamic Relations said Tuesday. The women have filed a religious discrimination complaint with the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

"For these women, wearing tight-fitting pants is like being naked," said Valerie Shirley, a spokeswoman for the Minnesota chapter of CAIR. "It's simply not an option."

Gruma Corporation, the Irving, Texas-based parent company of Mission Foods, released a written statement Tuesday denying that any employees were terminated or disciplined at the New Brighton plant. However, the company made clear the six women have been relieved of their responsibilities for the time being, and may ultimately lose their jobs if they don't wear uniforms.

"Should these employees choose to adhere to the current Mission Foods uniform policy, they may return to their positions with the company," the company statement said. "However, these positions will need to be filled as soon as possible and cannot be held indefinitely."

CAIR called on Mission Foods to reinstate the women, though the group declined to disclose the names of the women or make them available for interviews Tuesday.

Last year, some Muslim cashiers at Target Corp. stores in Minnesota were shifted to other positions after refusing to scan pork products because doing so would violate their religious beliefs. And in 2005, a group of 26 workers were either fired or suspended by an Arden Hills electronics manufacturer for violating the company's prayer rules, which set limits on the times they could break for prayers.

The federal Civil Rights Act of 1964 says employers must accommodate workers' religious beliefs, so long as the requests are "reasonable" and do not create "undue hardship" for the company.

At the Mission Foods plant, the Muslim workers had already made some accommodations, Shirley said. They had agreed to wear coats that were more loose-fitting than their scarves, but the company took them away before imposing a new dress code that involved trousers and shirts, she said.

------

Information from: Star Tribune, http://www.startribune.com

kayleigh

:salam2:

I find it hard to sympathize. They weren't really fired for being Muslim, they were fired because they wouldn't wear the uniform. That's not religious discrimination. That rule applies to everyone. If they were Jewish, Christian, atheist, whatever, and still refused to wear it for whatever reason they would be fired in the same way.

I think it would be best if the company compromised and met them half way. Like, letting them wear longer shirts or looser pants or skirts and a tighter scarf tucked into the shirt. Or let them go back to wearing the loose coats, since there doesn't appear to be a good reason to have gotten rid of them in the first place.

But what are their jobs, exactly? In a factory, depending on your job, it can be a big hazard to have loose clothing or things that could easily get caught in the machinery, and I certainly wouldn't expect the company to allow them to wear something that could put them and/or others at risk.

I also think the ones from Target should have been fired. The company loses money and gets annoyed customers if their employees can't scan their groceries. If Muslims find it impossible to preform their job duties, within reason, then they need to find another job. If anyone, regardless of religion, refuses to perform important, necessary duties their job demands then OF COURSE they should be fired.

amirah80

*Fear Allah*

I find it hard to sympathize. They weren't really fired for being Muslim, they were fired because they wouldn't wear the uniform. That's not religious discrimination. That rule applies to everyone. If they were Jewish, Christian, atheist, whatever, and still refused to wear it for whatever reason they would be fired in the same way.

I think it would be best if the company compromised and met them half way. Like, letting them wear longer shirts or looser pants or skirts and a tighter scarf tucked into the shirt. Or let them go back to wearing the loose coats, since there doesn't appear to be a good reason to have gotten rid of them in the first place.

But what are their jobs, exactly? In a factory, depending on your job, it can be a big hazard to have loose clothing or things that could easily get caught in the machinery, and I certainly wouldn't expect the company to allow them to wear something that could put them and/or others at risk.

I also think the ones from Target should have been fired. The company loses money and gets annoyed customers if their employees can't scan their groceries. If Muslims find it impossible to preform their job duties, within reason, then they need to find another job. If anyone, regardless of religion, refuses to perform important, necessary duties their job demands then OF COURSE they should be fired.

Good point but I am sure they had a interview prior to receiving the job and wore their islamic attire. So it seems the job would have noticed their attire and questioned if the uniforms would be a problem from the beginning. Also, for the target workers they werent fired the just got relocated to a different position in the company. My husbands aunt works for a walmart and they asked her to be a cashier and she refused she said she could not sell people alcohol so they transfered her to work in clothing. So companies can accomdate you if they feel your valuable or doesnt put a strain on them.

palestine

Servant of Allah
i'm an hour away from this city, so maybe i can find out the exact details. be back later. asalamu alaykum.

q8penpals

Good point but I am sure they had a interview prior to receiving the job and wore their islamic attire. So it seems the job would have noticed their attire and questioned if the uniforms would be a problem from the beginning. Also, for the target workers they werent fired the just got relocated to a different position in the company. My husbands aunt works for a walmart and they asked her to be a cashier and she refused she said she could not sell people alcohol so they transfered her to work in clothing. So companies can accomdate you if they feel your valuable or doesnt put a strain on them.

Salam

I think this all goes to show that as Muslims, we must actually look at and research companies that we want to work for. FOr instance, most restaurants in America sell either pork or alcohol or both - so as a Muslim, one can't expect to apply at a restaurant and then say you will have nothing to do with those items (even as a diswasher you would be washing glasses and plates that had alcohol and pork on them).

And yes, a factory-type job may be quite hazardous if wearing clothing that is too loose and free flowing; a teacher at a special needs school may be told they cannot wear a loose scarf around their neck for safety issues (special needs children don't always understand their actions and may grab at it and hold tight and choke a person - many male special needs teachers are told to wear clip-on ties rather than around-the-neck for the same reason).

So I think the best thing when interviewing is to be honest - this is how I dress; I am clean and professional looking; is there any part of my job that can be directly a safety concern with the way I dress, and how can we work together to resolve the problem, since I am the best person for this job!

One must remember that the US has never claimed to be a Muslim country (Kuwait does, but even at my Kuwaiti-owned school, the secretary who wears an abaya has to stay in a back room to do her work because the owner doesn't want the school to represent "an extreme" Islamic attitude) and that most PEOPLE in America are generally good people, even if they are mis-informed.

I think it is our responsibility to show that we are willing to be part of society, be productive, be cooperative, and yet stil hold true to our beliefs.

Humbly,

Lana

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member
High time to make Hijrah from America...for all of those who have the ability...
But, to where ? Most Muslim countries wont take us :(

warda A

Sister
asalam aleikum
The points made by sisters above are quite right
when you go for an interview you should ask about the uniforms and so forth
and if you think you wouldnt work with their conditions/rules than look for work somewhere else.
jazakallahu kheiran

shari

Brother

well we know this world is test for Muslims so i guess Allah Almighty is testing these sisters so that they are awarded for their hardships is afterlife

Shahzad

no need to to make hijra from america. Stay there. These are jus a few dirty heads, who do such things.

amirah80

*Fear Allah*
Salam

I think this all goes to show that as Muslims, we must actually look at and research companies that we want to work for. FOr instance, most restaurants in America sell either pork or alcohol or both - so as a Muslim, one can't expect to apply at a restaurant and then say you will have nothing to do with those items (even as a diswasher you would be washing glasses and plates that had alcohol and pork on them).

And yes, a factory-type job may be quite hazardous if wearing clothing that is too loose and free flowing; a teacher at a special needs school may be told they cannot wear a loose scarf around their neck for safety issues (special needs children don't always understand their actions and may grab at it and hold tight and choke a person - many male special needs teachers are told to wear clip-on ties rather than around-the-neck for the same reason).

So I think the best thing when interviewing is to be honest - this is how I dress; I am clean and professional looking; is there any part of my job that can be directly a safety concern with the way I dress, and how can we work together to resolve the problem, since I am the best person for this job!

One must remember that the US has never claimed to be a Muslim country (Kuwait does, but even at my Kuwaiti-owned school, the secretary who wears an abaya has to stay in a back room to do her work because the owner doesn't want the school to represent "an extreme" Islamic attitude) and that most PEOPLE in America are generally good people, even if they are mis-informed.

I think it is our responsibility to show that we are willing to be part of society, be productive, be cooperative, and yet stil hold true to our beliefs.

Humbly,

Lana

You are right I do agree, we must research companies here before accepting positions. But alot of foreigns that are muslims come to the country and need to make a living in America and some jobs are limited to them for education reasons or even language barriers. So if you do research a job and they have other positions you can ask to be placed their do to religious beliefs. But even after a job says that your attire would be fine (some not all) they still try to put you right were you asked not to be placed. Some jobs just want to get workers in while under staffed and then make you compromise.

Your right America never claimed to be a Muslim country but it claims to be the land of the free so we as muslims have a right to dress as we like without compromising to please the disblievers and still have a career. The secretary at the Kuwait school should not have to be placed in the back. That is discrimination here we go again compromising because non believers say extreme. In this instance what is the safety hazard, being muslim while working. In that instance to compromise your whole self is extreme to me.

Your also right about some jobs it is better to adhere to the dress code because of safety hazards. But the company obviously new what the woman choose to wear because it states they compromised with them. They chose not to wear the scarves and wear jackets then the company took those and said uniforms. So gradually they are trying to strip them of their beliefs. I guess that why its better for muslim women to stay in the homes if possible to avoid being put in these situations. This is one of the reasons I chose to say home because of being put in all types of compromising situations. Also you stated tell them upfront about this is what you wear and it cant be compromised, does this in anyway affect my job performance. I think that is the best approach. They can chose to hire you or not. But once hired their should not be asking you to change.

Overall I agree with you. You also gave an example about pork and alcohol in reference to washing the dishes that could have had pork or alcohol on it. But to me thats not the same to sell it. Selling pork or alcohol is like enabling it. I am helping you do something I disbelieve in by disbursing it to you. But, washing it once they ate it you did not contribute to them eating or drinking it because now what they done in complete. For instance If you smoked a cigarette and threw it on the ground and I am the janitor and have to clean it up. I am not responsible because I cleaned up a cigarette after you. But its probably best to avoid working in places like this if possible to even put yourself in these situations.

Humbly

Sister Amirah80

shous

I Agree.