Gay couples in California get marriage licenses

Salem9022

Gay couples in California get marriage licenses

080616-gay-marriage-hmed605p.h2.jpg

Lesbian activist Phyllis Lyon, 84, right, kisses her partner Del Martin, 87, after being married in a special ceremony at City Hall in San Francisco on Monday. Lyon and Martin were the first same-sex couple to wed after California's Supreme Court declared gay marriage legal.

SAN FRANCISCO - Dozens of gay couples were married Monday after a historic ruling making California the second state to allow same-sex nuptials went into effect.

At least five county clerks around the state extended their hours to issue marriage licenses, and many same-sex couples got married on the spot.

"These are not folks who just met each other last week and said, 'Let's get married.' These are folks who have been together in some cases for decades," said Kate Kendell, executive director of the National Center for Lesbian Rights. "They are married in their hearts and minds, but they have never been able to have that experience of community and common humanity."

The really big rush to the altar in the nation's most populous state is not expected to take place until Tuesday, which is when most counties plan to start issuing marriage licenses to gay couples. Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of couples from around the country are expected to seize the opportunity to make their unions official in the eyes of the law.

Special licenses
Local officials are now required to issue licenses that have the words "Party A" and "Party B" where "bride" and "groom" used to be.

In San Francisco, Mayor Gavin Newsom, who helped launch the series of lawsuits that led the court to strike down California's one-man-one-woman marriage laws, presided at the wedding of lesbian rights activists Del Martin, 87, and Phyllis Lyon, 84.

Well-wishers cheered when they emerged outside Newsom's office after the ceremony.

Dozens of couples gathered outside the clerks offices in Alameda, Sonoma and Yolo counties, where hours were extended to accommodate gay couples who wanted to be among the first to marry.

Derek Norman, 23 and Robert Blaudow, 39, from Memphis, were in the Bay Area for a conference and decided to get married at the Alameda County clerk's office.

"We might wait a long time in Tennessee, so this is our chance," Blaudow said.

First in line to pick up a marriage license in Sonoma was Melanie Phoenix, 47, and Terry Robinson, 48, of Santa Rosa. They have been together for almost 26 years and plan to be wed in August.

"It's an historic occasion," Phoenix said. "I never believed it was really possible until Gavin Newsom took the first step in 2004."

A throng of well-wishers and news media surrounded a lesbian couple as they were married in a Jewish ceremony in front of the Beverly Hills courthouse.

The ceremony was broadcast live on three newscasts in Los Angeles.

The couple wept and pressed their foreheads together, and onlookers whooped as the marriage became valid.

Unlike Massachusetts, which legalized gay marriage in 2004, California has no residency requirement for marriage licenses, and that is expected to draw a great number of out-of-state couples. The turnout could also be boosted by New York state's recent announcement that it will recognize gay marriages performed in other jurisdictions.

A UCLA study issued last week estimated that half of California's more than 100,000 same-sex couples will get married over the next three years, and an additional 68,000 out-of-state couples will travel here to exchange vows. The study estimated that over that period, gay weddings will generate some 2,200 jobs and $64 million in badly needed tax revenue for the state, which is ailing financially.

Stage set for court battles
Some of those out-of-state couples are likely to demand legal recognition in their home states, setting the stage for numerous court battles.

However, some couples may wait to tie the knot because of a proposed constitutional amendment on the California ballot in November that would undo the Supreme Court ruling and ban gay marriage.

Amid the preparations, some religious leaders and conservative activists objected to the social change unfolding around them. The seven bishops of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles issued a statement Monday reiterating the Roman Catholic Church's position on same-sex marriage.

"The church cannot approve of redefining marriage, which has a unique place in God's creation, joining a man and a woman in a committed relationship," the bishops said.

Although government officials cannot legally withhold marriage licenses from same-sex couples, the clerks in comparatively conservative Kern, Calaveras and Butte counties last week stopped performing weddings altogether.

Among the reasons they cited were concerns that the increased demand would overwhelm their staffs and endanger the security of the election equipment they also oversee as part of their jobs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

:rolleyes:this is a speacial day for the Gays in America:hearts:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25188169/

amirah80

*Fear Allah*
:salam2:

I saw this today on cnn (situation room) and I just can not believe this!

Salam
Amirah80

TruthSeeker17

gay marriage

i think its not that bad...just because religion sais its bad doesnt mean i have to think so as well....let them do what they want...

blackivy393

i dont know way the state keeps giving gay couples false hope. because the state of CA did this a few years ago and later was voted out and these marriages was considered not valid. a lot of these couples just want the right to death benefits of spouses, but federal law doesnt recognize and that is who gives out social security, so CA is misleading people

muharram23

Staff member
i think its not that bad...just because religion sais its bad doesnt mean i have to think so as well....let them do what they want...

it is discusting!!!!!!! not bad ur right, but discusting!!!!

Do you know the story with prophet Lut or LAT (in bible)? The man approached man for sex and women approached to women. Do you know how ALlah destroyed them? He sent Jibreel a.s (gabriel) who has 600 wings. When you read the history of prophet muhammad :saw:, you will see the discription of the angel gabriel (jibreel). Muhammad :saw: saw him one time and he cowered the whole horizon and had 600 wings.

Well, now that you see the size of Jibreel a.s (gabriel) the way they were punished is Allah sent Jibreel a.s and he took the whole city with the edge of one of his wings, lifted to the first heavens until the dogs could be heard in the heavens and then with one hit, they were smashed upside down against earth. For what? For homosexuality.

So, this punishment tells us of the severity of the sin of homosexuality. Therefore, muslims stay away from all the things that Allah mentions evil in the quran. People do not behave anymore like humans but are discusting and worse than animals.

Discusting! discusting! that someone can approach the opposite sex. Yaaaaqh phhhhhhhh blaaaaaah.

Nasty people, sick people, stinky, dirty.

sha587

Shahid abdullah
Originally Posted by TruthSeeker17 View Post
i think its not that bad...just because religion sais its bad doesnt mean i have to think so as well

yes you are right we should not judge everything on religios grounds. Ok
Than on what grounds we should judge? Any other logical ground? I am interested to know.

.let them do what they want.
Than we should not stop a thief from thefting and killer from killing.

And i did not talk about religion. right

abdulboji

no it is so bad , because they are get away from the instinct of humanity ..... and human beigns made this is a normal thing but this is against the nature that Allah has created every thing , if you are a muslim you must not accept thing like that , and if we let thing happen then how will bring babies .

halah

Wallahi I feel so sickness,feel disgusted by such news:astag:
May Allah protect the muslim ummah from that evil:tti_sister:

Achmat_Samsodien

:astag::astag::astag::astag::astag::astag:

Ma'athallah! We seek refuge in Allah from this disease! It goes against the laws of Allah and any LOGICAL being with all their faculties can see that it's not natural.

May Allah protect us from this atrocity and may he keep us on the straight path insha allah!

u shouldnt have posted the pic....IT MADE ME PUKE!.....ewwwwwww....jz look at their ages and their desires......queers ......