Hijab is not a pre-requisite for Muslim women.

ertugruld

Hello,
I want to touch the delicate issue of women wearing hijab in Islam. In Nur (24/31) ALLAH says: "....that they (women) should draw their veils over their bosoms..." The Arabic word for 'veil' is here 'hımar' and it is not said 'scarfe' or 'hımarürres". And it is said that they should 'feylüdribne', which means 'draw' and not 'feylüdnine', namely 'let hang down', which lets understand, that here we do not have scarfe hanging down to bossoms ....If one considers, that at the time of the descending of the Quran, Arab women used to worship half-naked, even at the Kaaba, it is logical that the LORD calls upon them to dress decently. So we can conclude, that if ALLAH had wished explicitly, that women should cover their heads/bodies completely, he would have stated it unambiguously.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Hi i have to disagree, it is quite clear that the hijab is fardh for women. Hijab being a covering of the hair, shoulders and chest.

THere is ample evidence from the Hadith of the Prophet Muhammad :saw:

"Ayesha (R) reported that Asmaa the daughter of Abu Bakr (R) came to the Messenger of Allah (S) while wearing thin clothing. He approached her and said: 'O Asmaa! When a girl reaches the menstrual age, it is not proper that anything should remain exposed except this and this. He pointed to the face and hands." (Abu Dawood)

It is unanimously agreed upon by all the major scholars of Islam that the covering of the hair is obligatory for women. One should be weary of the modernists and their interpretations which contradict the true teachings of Islam.

The hijab is an act of obedience to Allah and to his prophet (pbuh), Allah says in the Qur'an: `It is not for a believer, man or woman, when Allah and His messenger have decreed a matter that they should have an option in their decision. And whoever disobeys Allah and His Messenger, has indeed strayed in a plain error.' (S33:36).

smikoq

ertugruld said:
Hello,
I want to touch the delicate issue of women wearing hijab in Islam. In Nur (24/31) ALLAH says: "....that they (women) should draw their veils over their bosoms..." The Arabic word for 'veil' is here 'hımar' and it is not said 'scarfe' or 'hımarürres". And it is said that they should 'feylüdribne', which means 'draw' and not 'feylüdnine', namely 'let hang down', which lets understand, that here we do not have scarfe hanging down to bossoms ....If one considers, that at the time of the descending of the Quran, Arab women used to worship half-naked, even at the Kaaba, it is logical that the LORD calls upon them to dress decently. So we can conclude, that if ALLAH had wished explicitly, that women should cover their heads/bodies completely, he would have stated it unambiguously.
:bismillah: :salam: :subhanallah: i am disagree with ertugruld Quote about Hijab. Thanks for Admin nice response...... i would only like to give you a link if anyone has question about Hijab, he/she can visit to the fallowing link http://www.jamiat.org.za/women/concept_of_hijab.htm

Leena

Salam alaikum,

I tend to agree with ertugruld's conclusion here. Even Muhammad Asad concedes in his commentary of verse 24:31:

Although the traditional exponents of Islamic Law have for centuries been inclined to restrict the definition of "what may [decently] be apparent" to a woman’s face, hands and feet - and sometimes even less than that - we may safely assume that the meaning off illa ma zahara minha is much wider, and that the deliberate vagueness of this phrase is meant to allow for all the time-bound changes that are necessary for man’s moral and social growth.

The injunction to cover the bosom by means of a khimar, (a term so familiar to the contemporaries of the Prophet) does not necessarily relate to the use of a khimar as such but is, rather, meant to make it clear that a woman’s breasts are not included in the concept of "what may decently be apparent" of her body and should not, therefore, be displayed.

I also want to say that I really appreciate this forum for not deleting ertugruld's post, even though he only posted this message and may have not had anything else to offer and even this one post could be deemed "inciteful," you kept it here, so thank you (moderators) for doing that!

Hajar

Staff member
ertugruld said:
Hello,

Hello,

Hijab is fardh (obligatory), and there is no difference of opinion amongst the scholars on this issue. Both Muslim men and women must cover themselves in a modest fashion.

Revelation of Al-Hijab

Hadith - Bukhari 1:148
The wives of the Prophet used to go to Al-Manasi, a vast open place (near Baqia at Medina) to answer the call of nature at night. 'Umar used to say to the Prophet "Let your wives be veiled," but Allah's Apostle did not do so. One night Sauda bint Zam'a the wife of the Prophet went out at 'Isha' time and she was a tall lady. 'Umar addressed her and said, "I have recognized you, O Sauda." He said so, as he desired eagerly that the verses of Al-Hijab (the observing of veils by the Muslim women) may be revealed. So Allah revealed the verses of "Al-Hijab" (A complete body cover excluding the eyes).

The Noble Qur'an - Al-Ahzab 33:59

O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils)* all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allah is Ever Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

*the arabic word here is Jalabeeb (plural of Jalbaab), which is the loose outer garment that covers all a woman's body. It says here to use the Jalabeeb to cover all, and scholars say this means to use it to cover her head (agree upon by all scholars) and her face (agreed by many scholars, not all) and one or both eyes, in order for it to be known that she is a free woman and so not to be exposed to any harm.

Hadith - Bukhari 6:282
'Aisha used to say: "When (the Verse): 'They should draw their veils over their necks and bosoms,' was revealed, (the ladies) cut their waist sheets at the edges and covered their faces with the cut pieces."

Hadith - Abu Dawud, Narrated Umm Salamah, Ummul Mu'minin
When the verse "That they should cast their outer garments over their persons" was revealed, the women of Ansar came out as if they had crows over their heads by wearing outer garments.

The lower half of the hijab is a garment that does not show the woman's figure. Jeans and certain obvious garments do not meet this requirement.

Hadith - Abu Dawud, Narrated Dihyah ibn Khalifah al-Kalbi
The Apostle of Allah was brought some pieces of fine Egyptian linen and he gave me one and said: Divide it into two; cut one of the pieces into a shirt and give the other to your wife for veil. Then when he turned away, he said: And order your wife to wear a garment below it and not show her figure.

Tafseer - Ibn Katheer
"Allah commanded the muslim women to cover this sheet on top of them to cover their bodies except one eye, when it is necessary for them to come out of their homes."

Tafseer - Commentary by Ibn Jarir and Ahkam-ul-Quran, Vol.III, p.457
Imam Muhammad bin Sirin said: "When I asked Ubaida bin Sufyan bin al-Harith (ra) the meaning of this verse and how the jalbaab was to worn, he demonstrated it to me by pulling a sheet of cloth over his head to cover his entire body, leaving the left eye uncovered. This was also the explanation of the word 'Alaihinna in this verse"

Tafseer - Alu'si, Rul-ul-Ma'ani, Vol. 22, p. 89
"Ibn Jarir Tabari and Ibn Al-Mundhir described the method of wearing the jalbaab according to Ibn Abbas (ra) and Qatadah (ra). The sheet should be wrapped around from the top, covering the forehead, then bringing one side of the sheet to cover the face below the eyes so that most of the face and the upper body is covered. This will leave both eyes uncovered (which is allowed in necessity).

http://muttaqun.com/niqab.html

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
:salam2:

Welcome to the Forum Leena, and thank you for your kind reply. As long as someone is sincere, polite and open to learning the truth, their threads will remain.

This is going to be a big long, Its important we understand a few issues here. Concerning methedology (manhaj), or the way we go about doing things in Islam.

Firstly Islam is based on the Quran, Sunnah with the understanding of the early Muslims. Because the latter were closer to the Prophet :saw: Im sure every Muslim will agree to the following Quranic verse and Hadith of the Prophet :saw: :

"And if you differ in anything amongst yourselves, refer it back to Allaah and His Messenger, if you believe in Allaah and in the Last Day. That is more suitable for final determination." Surat-un-Nisaa' [4:59]

"I am leaving you two things and you will never go astray as long as you cling to them -- they are the Book of Allah and my Sunnah." [Reported by Al- Haakim - Sahih].

"The best of people is my generation, then those who come after them, then those who come after them (i.e. the first three generations of Muslims)." [Reported by Bukhari and Muslim- Mutawaatir. Muslim, Narrated 'Aisha - Shaykh Al Albaanee declares it Hasan in Saheeh Al Jaami' no.3288].

So, every single act of worship, Islamic legislation and understanding of Islam comes from the Quran, the authentic Hadith and the explanation/understanding from the early Muslims. The latter had a clearer understanding of Islam than any of us would have now. Anything contrary to these sources should not be followed.

The Importance of sticking to the above sources of Islam ensures that Muslims do not change the Religion, do not start relaxing various rulings and things which are not allowed and do not start going to extremes.

For example, extremism, like AlQaeda and other groups is not something rooted in the original source teachings of Islam or something taught by the early Muslims. Often the media calls it fundamentalism and tries to make out that these extremists are some how rooted to "medieaval times".

But, the fundamentals of Islam are very distant to what the extremists teach. And Islam during the European Mediaval period was in its Golder Period.... full of scientific, mathematical, medicinal exploration and discovery.

Rather, a lot of today's extremist thinking is a "modern ideology" which came about from the teachings of 20th Century thinkers/philosophers such as Syed Qutb, Maududi and others... who commentated on the Quran without clear understanding.

Similarly, modernists like Muhammad Asad do not refer back to the authentic teachings of Islam. Rather they use their own philosophy and thinking. Which contradicts what we have been taught by the Prophet :saw:

Sure, Islam is a rational, scientific and sound religion, but our rationalisation and knowledge of the world is limited. Islam must always be followed as God intended for us.

The Modernists think that they need to change Islam to make it compatible with the modern Western oriented World. But, they do not realise that Islam is perfect and in no need of change. There is no so called "moderate or extremist" Islam. Islam is always one way, it is the middle way, the easy way as long as people go back to the true source of ISlam, the Quran and Sunnah with the understanding of the early generation of Muslims. And the sources of Islam shall always remain, unchanged.

The Prophet said: "There will not cease to be a group from my ummah, dominant upon the truth. The ones who abandon them will not be able to harm them, until the decree of Allaah comes."

By going back and sticking to the original teachings Muslims can once again attain the Golden period of Islam, that the Muslims used to have. The Arabs were only successful and united because they followed Islam properly.

“Indeed, never will Allah change the condition of a people until they change themselves.” [Soorah ar-Rad (13):11]

So, when people try and change Islam and think they are going forwards to modernity, in reality they are going backwards!

Infact, Muhammad Assad is known to be a Mutazili. The Mutazilah do not believe in Allah or the Quran properly. They try to rationalize everything and follow greek philosophy. And they say that a person who sins is between being a believer and an unbeliever, "Manzil Bayna Manzilatayn". This is similar to the Takfiri school of thought.

What Muhammad Asad failed to do is utilise the sayings and rulings of the Prophet Muhammad, as well as his wives, the Sahaba (companions), the second and third generation of Muslims, and the great classical Tafsir writers. All of whom make the same case for the hijab. Aisha Umm al-Muminin (rAa), ibn Abbas (rAa), Anas ibn Malik (rAa), and Miswar ibn Makhrama (rAa), among the Sahaba. This is also the opinion of Imam Tabari, and Imam Qurtubi.

Hajar's post above contains a lot of these evidences.

Sorry for the long reply, I ask Allah to forgive me for any mistakes.

Waslaam

Ameer

Leena

Salam, thanks for the reply to my post. Again, I really appreciate that you let a conversation like this take place on your forum. :)

sister06

hey hijaab and jilbaab you HAVE to wear as it does STRICTLY state in islam. these quotes are mashllah wikd!! and to that person who says:
Originally Posted by ertugruld
Hello,

i, a 16 year old girl, woud like to say that before you send a message that many people will read, u should know your pesonal opinion from a fact!!!!!!!!

Abu.Amirah

Hijab

Assalamu aleikum,

Mashallah many have been talked here about the covering of a women.I just want to give an example of the importance of covering yourself.

One day, a brilliantly beautiful and fragrant flower with attractive colors met a pearl that lives far in the bottom of the sea and has none of these characteristics. Both got acquainted with each other.

The flower said: “Our family is large; roses and daisies are members of the family. And there are many other species that are various and countless, each has a distinctive scent, appearance etc.”

Suddenly, a tinge of distress appeared on the flower. “Nothing accounts for sorrow in your talk; so why are depressed?”

The pearl asked. “Human beings deal with us carelessly; they slight us. They don’t grow us for our sake but to get pleasure from our fragrance and beautiful appearance. They throw us on the street or in the garbage can after we are dispossessed of the most valuable properties; brilliance and fragrance”

The flower sighed. And then the flower said to the pearl: “Speak to me about your life! How do you live? How do you feel it? You are buried in the bottom of the sea. ”

The pearl answered: “Although I have none of your distinctive colors and sweet scents, humans think I am precious. They do the impossible to procure me. They go on long journeys, dive deep in the seas searching for me. You might be astounded to know that the further I lay, the more beautiful and brilliant I become.

That’s what upraises my value in their thought. I live in a thick shell isolated in the dark seas. However, I’m happy and proud to be in a safe zone far from wanton and mischievous hands and still the humans consider me highly valuable”.

The flower is the unveiled woman (who shows her charms) and the pearl is the veiled woman (who conceals her beauties) Think about it!

Well sisters if you want to be flower then people will love you and use you till you are of no more beauty nor smell and they will throw you away to look for another one,but if you are pearl your beauty will always be there and people wont stop loving you and instead they will protect you.

Sorry for long words but.....Wadhakir faina dhikra tanfahul muuminin!

:jazaak: :bananabb2in:

38khadj

Good quote

Abu.Amirah said:
Assalamu aleikum,

Mashallah many have been talked here about the covering of a women.I just want to give an example of the importance of covering yourself.

One day, a brilliantly beautiful and fragrant flower with attractive colors met a pearl that lives far in the bottom of the sea and has none of these characteristics. Both got acquainted with each other.

The flower said: “Our family is large; roses and daisies are members of the family. And there are many other species that are various and countless, each has a distinctive scent, appearance etc.”

Suddenly, a tinge of distress appeared on the flower. “Nothing accounts for sorrow in your talk; so why are depressed?”

The pearl asked. “Human beings deal with us carelessly; they slight us. They don’t grow us for our sake but to get pleasure from our fragrance and beautiful appearance. They throw us on the street or in the garbage can after we are dispossessed of the most valuable properties; brilliance and fragrance”

The flower sighed. And then the flower said to the pearl: “Speak to me about your life! How do you live? How do you feel it? You are buried in the bottom of the sea. ”

The pearl answered: “Although I have none of your distinctive colors and sweet scents, humans think I am precious. They do the impossible to procure me. They go on long journeys, dive deep in the seas searching for me. You might be astounded to know that the further I lay, the more beautiful and brilliant I become.

That’s what upraises my value in their thought. I live in a thick shell isolated in the dark seas. However, I’m happy and proud to be in a safe zone far from wanton and mischievous hands and still the humans consider me highly valuable”.

The flower is the unveiled woman (who shows her charms) and the pearl is the veiled woman (who conceals her beauties) Think about it!

Well sisters if you want to be flower then people will love you and use you till you are of no more beauty nor smell and they will throw you away to look for another one,but if you are pearl your beauty will always be there and people wont stop loving you and instead they will protect you.

As salaam Mo Alikum sister
What a perfect way of putting it :ma: Marshallah
Wasalaam:)

muna

ابنة الاسلام
aslam
1stoff thanx 4 picking an importantant topic
secondly....i've agreed all de points that viewed by bro hajar jazakallahu kheiran and who eva agreed wid him.......wasalam......

muslim10

Assalamualakum

I wouldlike to make a point. Many sisters believe that wearing a hijab will automaticly take them to jenna. If they are not wearing them for the right reasons then (for the sake of Allah) then they dont get the reward for it. Wering the hijab wont take to jenna but not wearing it will take you to hell fire because its a dignof disobediance to Allah (SWT).

Jazzakulah

Salah eddine

thank you sisters

:salam2:
its amazing to see people so motivated for hijab specially sisters, even if it was always shown as a sign of woman oppression
i just want add a thing is that the hijab isn't a goal its just a step to involve and obey to ALLAH
:ma:
wa sallam

your brother yaseen :bananabb2in:

Asma

As Salaam Alaikum,
I must say I love the example of the flower and the pearl .Very nice. Alhamdullilah. Why is this always a somewhat heated subject.There will always be sisters who will cover for the sake of Allah and love it.There will be sisters who cover for the sake of Allah and don't really want to.There will be some who won't cover and will continue to find ways to justify their reasons for not covering.They say ALLAH knows their intentions and heart,yes HE does and they don't realize that they are showing their intentions and their hearts,which is to be disobedient. Islam is simplicity.ALLAH (subhanah wa ta ala)said we should cover and gave the reason why. Male and Female.Why should it be an issue?Some sisters cover and only show their eyes,some cover and show their face.The main thing is they cover. It is only a few that don't cover at all and inshaAllah they too will grow to understand. If it wasn't for Sisters covering in America,no one would probably know that Muslims here exist. Our men sure don't cover like their suppose too. So let's get on our Men and give my and us Sisters a break.We Sisters talk and walk Islam.The Whole World know who we are. Now it's time for the MEN of Islam.We Sisters look like the Mothers Of Islam. When are the MEN going to look,talk and walk like their best example(Rasulullah and his Companions)??? Ask the Men. Why they don't cover like their suppose to. They should be the ones asked,why your'e dressed like that. Since they are the ones whose suppose to be in the public eyes.More so then the women.Why are we always the one whose approached.The answer is simple,we look like we're suppose to look.Muslim. If the Men dressed like Muslim MEN ,more men would come into Islam.The Brothers would give Dawah on Islam and more families would become Muslims. Brothers How Come You Don't Wear Your Hijab??? When Will You Be Reconize For Who You Are??? The World Should Know You and Not Your Women...When Are You Going To Protect Us..Come Out, Come Out ,Where Ever You Are...Fear ALLAH,Not This World..You Once Were The Bravest Men Of Them ALL.

Aref

Assalamu aleikum,

subhan Allah sis.awesome example if some one does not understeand with it is because does not want to.

Freshta

I am sorry but I would have to disagree with not having to hijab. It is fardh for women to hijab in Islam and like niqaab which the scholars are having difference of opinions there is no scholar that will tell you that hijab is NOT fardh. Alot of women who dont want to hijab make excuses and say its not fardh. :astag:

west

Many people have different opinions. It lies within each individual if they will cover and how much they will cover.

Allah knows what lies in our hearts and that is more important than anything else.
We as individuals, if we want to be good Muslims, will follow Allah's guidance