sending your child to a church or guadwara

saima11

:salam2:

my daughter is of primary school age, her class was take to the guadwara today,as part of religous education. as some of the parents found out that my daughter didnt go, they started a debate that we shouldn't do this, we shud let children learn about other religions.
after i found out 2 other muslim boys didnt go also.

i want to know what is your opinion about children being taken to church or guadwara. also what about taking part in activities such as partys, assemblys and plays for christmas n diwali.

ssister

waalaykum,sister
well islam teaches you to gain knowledge also about other religions and there belief so ithink its a good opportunity

samiha

---------
Staff member
wa 'alaykum salaam

I dont think it's a good idea. Little kids dont really need to know about other religions much more than they need their own. At this age I believe a strong base should be grown, and in there there is not need to learn any other religion. Some kids become confused later with the religions, some kids begin to believe that because they went there and what not it's ok to participate in their holidays or imitate them when in the hadith is says:

It was narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar said: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.” Narrated by Abu Dawood, 3512; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Irwa’ al-Ghaleel, 2691.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

This at the very least indicates that it is haraam to imitate them, although the apparent meaning is that the one who imitates them is a kaafir.

Iqtida’ al-Siraat al-Mustaqeem, 237.

So imitating them and thier misguidances or their wrong way is not allowed.
wasalam

hellbraker

I remember when one of my Friends told me that her son was taken into the church and was given the Holy host.But later the teachers told her sorry and said it was a mistake.I dont think she felt bad or something( but I never asked her).

hellbraker

As for me,when I was a kid,I have gone to many churches,Hindu temple and mosques.But they did not influence me anyhow.But kids have the tendancy to watch and learn from people around them.

Amtullah

Servant of Allah

my daughter is of primary school age, her class was take to the guadwara today,as part of religous education. as some of the parents found out that my daughter didnt go, they started a debate that we shouldn't do this, we shud let children learn about other religions.
after i found out 2 other muslim boys didnt go also.

i want to know what is your opinion about children being taken to church or guadwara. also what about taking part in activities such as partys, assemblys and plays for christmas n diwali.

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu,

In my personal opinion I would not allow my children to take part in these activities, (including plays for Christmas, etc.). And I'm a little surprised it's primary school aged children we're talking about! I remember learning about different religions in highschool, ...but no-one needs to go to an actual church to learn the religion, as with a gurdwara, temple, etc.

And I wouldn't care if the whole country debated it, as long as I know I can face Allah, and tell Him I tried my best in raising my children, to the best of my knowledge/understanding.

As for taking part in Christmas plays, etc... I'm sure people could argue that it is just little children involved.. but if 'you' are going accept it, don't be surprised if down the road 'your' children have no problem celebrating Christmas with their friends, etc.

Children do have the tendency to watch and learn from people around them, but they have to be taught what is and is not part of Islam. And if we as parents accept something that isn't part of the religion we are misguiding them.

I totally agree with what Samiha mentioned.

Sorry for my ramble.. just my opinion.

AlhumduliLlah, I'm glad your daughter didn't go. :)

As-salaamu'alaykum

cmelbouzaidi

my kids have never been into a church and they are very young (6 and 3) so I probably would avoid it until at least they are a lot older and not so impressionable. However, I do agree that for us to practise dawa, we must be informed about other religions. A good friend of mine attended different churches, wearing hijab, for many Sundays listening to the sermon. Finally, she was asked to be part of the bible study group and she knows more about the bible than I do. The born-again Christian preacher was telling some young man from Mexico that his grandma was going to hell as she was not "born again" but Catholic..... My friend told the pastor that that was not for us to judge and that this little old lady that spent all her time praying in her bedroom might have a better chance of entering Paradise than the pastor himself. Needless to say, the pastor didn't like that and she was not invited back but the kid wanted to hear more about Islam :)

Also, what is a guadwara? I am sorry, I am not familiar with this term (I am a revert to Islam from a non-practising Catholic family).

:wasalam:

amirah80

*Fear Allah*

Personally I will not let my children go to things like this because it can cause confusion because the have different teachings from muslims. Plus by letting them participate in holidays (christmas programs) is not permitted in Islam. Also I would not care want the parents said because first of all they are not responsible for your child and if the situation was turned they would not let there children go to a mosque and participate in Eid if they have strong beliefs in their religion. You have to protect your children and their faith because you know the truth. People can say letting them participate if harmless but little do they know. You did the right thing sis.

Amtullah

Servant of Allah

Also, what is a guadwara? I am sorry, I am not familiar with this term (I am a revert to Islam from a non-practising Catholic family).

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu,

It is a Sikh temple as far as I know.

As-salaamu'alaykum

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Living here in the States and in a very small Muslim community we can not but be in surroundings that are un-Islamic. I make sure that my sons are given every opportunity to be amongst Muslims.
On a lighter side we had to attend a church service out of obligation. After the two hours and some more than thirty minutes in attendance my sons came out and were very grateful to be Muslims. This is the truth.They have even taken friends to the masjid to show how simple and quick Muslim prayers are. That experience showed them the value of time in prayer.

JD19

I would let my kids go... and then teach them the differences between our religion and others. The world is full of different people and religions and they should know one another so there isnt so much ignorance as there is now. Before coming to Islam, I been to churches, temples, synogogues, etc. It helps you understand one another and quite honestly, after learning about various different religions, Islam made even more sense to me.

Ignorance is whats causing alot of the problems in the world. People need to learn more about one another...

nobbyv

Abu Maryam
Assalamualaikum,

MashaAllah...a very interesting exchange of ideas and views..

Personally, I would not allow my children to go to a different place of worship.. Gaining knowledge about different religions is definitely a good point...but it can be done through the internet.

I really wouldn't let them go these places of worship because they have corrupted and changed the true message of our beloved prophets and have insulted ALLAH but associating partners with HIM...and ALLAH has declared a war against them.

So, its better to avoid these places.

walaikum assalam

Tru3m0sl3m

Brother in ISLAM
I am with nobbyv.. Learning about other religion is ok but the child has to get true knowledge about islam first otherwise it'll be a cocktail of everything which is dangerous.
Visiting their worshipping place can be avoided by giving them books or DVD's on those religion and then getting ISLAM into the picture..

Tru3m0sl3m

Brother in ISLAM
I'll give a small picture if someone is confused about religion..
I was brought up in a christian school, were we used to pray to GOD. We used to celebrate christmas, i used to be in that singing group..(Note. i am a born muslim) though i used to pray and do stuff that normal muslims do.. I was slowly going out of religion.. Astagfirullah.. It took me 20 years to realize and come to the straight path Alhamdulillah.. The biggest problem that confused me is the "cocktail" condition i was in.. I was in that school for 7 yrs(for better education)
Anyways the most important POINT IS TO GIVE YOUR CHILDREN PROPER ISLAMIC EDUCATION.. and after that if they are visiting churches or other temples, it won't effect them..

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
Assalamualaikum

:bismillah1:

I agree with most of the Brothers and Sisters who have said that building the child's foundation first based on Islam is more important. It is true. These are the years that they learn the truth, and it is embedded in their minds forever, thus having a lasting value.

My little nephew has only attented a non muslim school for one year. And this was due to the distance to school from home. Now Alhamdulillah he attends an Islamic school and he is learning a lot, Masha Allah. But during that one year he had learnt a lot that contradicted with Islam. He used to discuss various topics that they were taught, such as the big bang for example. And we had to clear many of his misunderstandings.

I also agree that visiting these places afterwards might not matter as much. Distorting their beliefs from a young age is not a very good idea. One is studying and doing it for the sake of knowin and comparison, but the other is believing. And at a young age, this might happen.

I would not know where many of you are coming from, as I have studied in an Australian Islamic school since Pre Primary. So Alhamdulillah, my parents and I didn't have any sort of falsehood to deal with. May Allah make it easy for all the youth of today's generation and make them better torch bearers of this ever growing religion Insha Allah. Aameen.

Assalamualaikum

i think by going 1 time with class in church or in temple ok. cause a muslim boy doesnt get knowledge about islam by attanding only once in his life time in mosque. so how could it effect a muslim child by visiting only 1time in a church!

al-muslimah

I remember when I was in primary school in year 4 we had a trip to a church. My family didn't let me go by myself. so my mother went with me.

nobbyv

Abu Maryam
i think by going 1 time with class in church or in temple ok. cause a muslim boy doesnt get knowledge about islam by attanding only once in his life time in mosque. so how could it effect a muslim child by visiting only 1time in a church!

Its not about the knowledge or effect of ONE visit.

Why do you want to enter a place which insults ALLAH?

Almeftah

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

Children are highly effected by surrounding environments, and having to experience retuals of many religions other than the retuals of Islam may lead to confusion.

If one must learn about other religions, He/she must first learn about thier own religion. And Have the basics and Values of that religion carved in thier hearts, before seeking knowledge about any other religion, so it won't cause any confusion or change of heart.