sending your child to a church or guadwara

voiceofkashmir

I dont think muslims should send small kids to churches, gurduwaras, hindu temples etc etc as they are too young to understand the difference between the religion of their parents and the other religion and not expose them to Fitnah when they dont understand.

Also it makes sense that they are taught only about islam in early years and once they are old they can themselve can make a try to understand other religions and the difference between Islam and others.

Let us not expose our kids to Fitnah and disbelief at such an early age.

As far as participation of muslims kids in Christimas and other non muslim religious festivals it is haram. We should tell them politely and with reason as to why we cant join them in their festivals etc etc. Also it makes right opportunity to make Dawah ....\

Phoyage

:salam2:
What is guadwara
But the parties like halloween don't let your kid go to this.
I didn't go.

Its not about the knowledge or effect of ONE visit.

Why do you want to enter a place which insults ALLAH?

nobody wants that. if its a part of religion class, and and they try to give general knowledge about every religion so where is the problem? its according to our sense that they insult. but waht they want to teach is general knowledge about other religion.

Personally, I would not allow my children to go to a different place of worship.. Gaining knowledge about different religions is definitely a good point...but it can be done through the internet.

well it isn´t a great idea to learn about any religion in internet according to my opinion. most people learn islam through media and internet. and somehow they got wrong ideas about islam. once they got the basic idea live , then they can increase their knowledge through internet.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

We need to keep in mind it is one thing to have knowledge. The internet is a good tool. But more importantly it is imperative to act on faith. We keep ourselves connected with Muslims because it is critical to act. By following the sunnath..by praying..we increase our deen. All the knowledge in the world does not add up to one ounce of faith. And faith is the foundation of action.
We have for so long performed a great dis-service to ourselves. We have forgotten our history. We became ashamed of our home. We became second class citizens to accomadate the needs of the dunya. We gave up our values and decided that our education is poor. And we continue to this day.
We forget our duty to our children is to remember who we are. We compete. It is funny. There is no competition in Islam. In Islam we are told to strive for the best. We are to assist each other. That is not the same as winning the comeptition. I see how we are stuck to the duyna.
Think for a minute. In this discussion I could replace church or guadwara with X-box or playstation. Does it matter? We must keep our intention clean. Muslims do not live in isolated worlds. The Companions of the Prophet were sent out to spread Islam. I am not going to keep my children locked up. They are going to see the world and various lifestyles. However, I will make it my duty to let them never forget we are Muslims and our responsibility is always to be under the umbrella of Islam.
As usual forgive my passion.

TheKnowledgeSeeker

A Believer In Heart
Assalamu Alaykum,

Islam does infact encourages you to learn about other religions. But we are talking about children and their brains are not full developement so when you take them to church how you are going to explain to them that Jesuz is not the son of God but a prophet. Despite the developing brain part if your child doesn't know much about islam othe then the five pillars you shouldn't send them to religious schools. My advice is first educated your children about Islam in and out them then teach them about other religion. When they reach an age where you as a mother or father believe they are capable of learning and can disguish the different between the two religion then send them to the church. Keep in mind Allah SWT will not ask you if you educated your children about the religion of their neightbors but you will ask if you educated about Islam.

Zainudin Jaffar

Strive to be Mukmin

Can I suggest everyone read surah Al Kafirun Chapter 109?

I think Allah meant it for every Muslims, young and old.

wallahualm

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Thank you. We are the people of the light. However, we can not question the Wisdom of the Creator. We are His willing slaves. But we are not a cult. We can not cut ourselves from life. We are part of the world. Yes, we need to educate our children and protect our children.
Our faith gives us reason. It is intelligent. It makes us sensible and responsible. Therefore, we can with the guidance of the Quran refute the illogical world of those who are ignorant. Additionally, Judgement belongs to the Creator..but our actions can help others see the Light of Islam. I will show you my world of Peace: Islam..come into it if you wish. I can not leave the Home of Peace for it leads to our Real Home. And I need Muslims as I need the air that I breathe.

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer

I've actually gone to couple of churches, and Gudwara several times with my Christian friend and Sikh friend. When I attened churches and Gudwara , I was already 16 or 17 so I had enough knowledge of Islam to distinguish between the religions and not to be influenced by other teachings.

Personally, I wouldn't send my Kids (If I ever have any), to Churches or Gudwara if their intellectual capacity is not developed enough to understand and distinguish between different faiths. They might be subject to peer pressure and say the "lords prayer" or bow with Sikh friends (which is clearly sirkh).
Then again, if the children are properly educated in Islam, then I see no harm in going for a school trip for educational purposes.

:wasalam:

Shoaib

dianek

I don't see a problem in it as it, to me, teaches tolerance.....and our world needs a lot more tolerance in it.

Islaam4life

Our children are our responsibillity, and it is incumbent upon us that we should nourish our children with sound islamic knowledge so that they may In Sha' Allah gain an in depth understanding and appreciation of the truth.

Allah Subhana Wa Ta'Ala says in the glorious Qur'an (interpretation of the meaning):

"And I have not created the jinn and mankind except that they should worship Me (Alone)." {Surah adh-dhaariyat: 56}

Our main purpose is thus to completely submit ourselves to the will of Allah and worship Him and exalt his mention. Our priority should be to educate our children and pray for them so that Allah almighty may ingrain Islam in their soul and mind.

When we are taught to live among people and to conduct business and to spend time with our families this should never be taken out of context. This is a mistake many people unfortunately make. The context is to live among fellow muslims when possible, to practise Islam in an islamic community when possible, to eat together, pray together, to be a vibrant community for as much as Allah aza wajal allows.

In no way or form does not visiting a church mean that we as muslims are not fulfilling our islamic duties. Not visiting a church does not make us muslims closeminded, it does not incapacitate us in any way. Not sending your children on a school trip to a church does not mean the child is losing our on anything vital for his future as a muslim in this world. Surely if this was such a big deal as some people would like us to believe than Allah aza wajal and His beloved prophet SallAllahu Alaihi Wassalam would have mentioned it somewhere.

In fact there is a vast body of evidence that it is very much disliked, and in some cases even forbidden to enter churches, synagogues and the likes. When this is makrooh for even the adults, than what are we to make of the children? If a person wants their children to know something about our adversaries they can teach them from the sound knowledge they have gained concerning such topics. You don't send them to a place of temptation, where they can be influenced in the wrong way.

It is important that we educate our children on for instance alcohol consumption, as this poison is forbidden for use in Islam. We can teach our children from the vast sources of knowledge abound in books and on the internet about the negative consequences of consuming alcohol and we can teach them why other people choose to disregard such vital reasons. Does this mean we should send our children on fieldtrips to factories where beer, wine and other such liquor is made? Ofcourse not.

We can give our children the right information concerning other religions and their innovated practises and places of worship where the devil does reside. To do this it is not required that we send our children to such places of inequity and expose them to such haram things.

As for some other side comments I read on this thread about christmas or any other holiday it is haram and nothing short of haram to participate in any way or form in any holiday of the mushriqeen. We have only two Eids (festivals) and a muslim requires no other innovated pagan practises to rejoice over.

I will quote the conlusion at the end of the fatwa issued by the standing commity which states:

" It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (2/115):

If your going to the church is just to show tolerance and lenience, then it is not permissible, but if it is done to call them to Islam and create opportunities for you to do so, and you will not be taking part in their worship and you are not afraid that you may be influenced by their beliefs or customs, then it is permissible. End quote.

See also the answer to question no. 11232.

And Allaah knows best."

It was narrated that Aslam the freed slave of ‘Umar said: When ‘Umar went to Syria, one of the leaders of the Christians made food for him and called him. ‘Umar said: We will not enter your churches because of the images that are in them – meaning the statues. Narrated by ‘Abd al-Razzaaq in al-Musannaf (1/411 and 10/398).

amirah80

*Fear Allah*

Fatwa 111832 IQA

What is the ruling on a Muslim entering a church to listen to a lecture that is being given there?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Entering churches for meetings and to listen to lectures is not free of a number of haraam things, some of which have been discussed in the answer to question no. 82836.

The scholars differed concerning the ruling on a Muslim entering a church in the first place. There are a number of opinions:

1-

That it is haraam. This is the view of the Hanafis and Shaafa’is, but the Shaafa’is limit the prohibition to churches in which there are images, as it says in Tuhfat al-Muhtaaj (2/424), Nihaayat al-Muhtaaj (2/63) and Haashiyata Qalyoobi wa ‘Umayrah ‘ala Sharh al-Muhalla (4/236).

The Hanafis regard it as haraam in all cases, and they gave as their reason the fact that they are abodes of the devils, as the Hanafi Ibn Nujaym said in al-Bahr al-Raa’iq (7/364) and in Haashiyat Ibn ‘Aabideen (2/43).

2-

That it is makrooh. This is the view of the Hanbalis, but some of them limited this to churches in which there are images. Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in al-Fataawa al-Kubra (5/327): The view which most of our companions hold is that it is makrooh to enter churches in which there are images, and this is the correct view concerning which there can be no doubt. End quote.

See: al-Furoo’ (5/308), al-Adaab al-Shar’iyyah (3/415) and al-Insaaf (1/496).

They quoted the following as evidence:

(i)

It was narrated from Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) saw images in the Ka’bah and he did not enter until he had ordered that they be erased. Narrated by al-Bukhaari (3352).

(ii)

It was narrated that Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: Jibreel promised to come to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) but he was late and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) grew concerned. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) went out and saw him, and he told him of his concern and he said to him: “We [angels] do not enter a house in which there is an image or a dog.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari (5960).

(iii)

It was narrated that Aslam the freed slave of ‘Umar said: When ‘Umar went to Syria, one of the leaders of the Christians made food for him and called him. ‘Umar said: We will not enter your churches because of the images that are in them – meaning the statues. Narrated by ‘Abd al-Razzaaq in al-Musannaf (1/411 and 10/398).

3 – The third view is that it is permissible to enter churches in general. This is the view of the Hanbalis, as it says in al-Mughni (8/113) and al-Insaaf (1/496).

It is also the view of Ibn Hazm al-Zaahiri as it says in al-Muhalla (1/400).

They quoted the following as evidence:

(i)

What was narrated about the conditions stipulated by ‘Umar to the people of the Book to expand their churches and monasteries so that the Muslims could enter them to spend the night or pass through them.

Al-Mughni (8/113).

(ii)

Ibn ‘Aa’idh narrated in Futooh al-Shaam that when ‘Umar came to Syria, the Christians made food for him and called him, and he said: Where is it? They said: In the church, and he refused to go. He said to ‘Ali: Take the people to eat lunch. So ‘Ali took the people and entered the church, and he and the people ate lunch, and ‘Ali looked at the images and said: What would be wrong if the Ameer al-Mu’mineen entered this place?

Al-Mughni (8/113).

By studying the evidence quoted above, it does not seem that there is any clear evidence that it is haraam to enter churches. The fact that there are images and statues in them or any other place does not mean that it is haraam to enter it. The sin is on the makers of the images and those who make the statues; the one who enters a place where those statues are should advise and explain, but he does not have to leave that place.

Ibn Qudaamah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

With regard to entering a house in which there is an image, it is not haraam. Rather it is permissible to refuse an invitation because of it as a rebuke to the host and to show that he has lost respect because of his introducing something evil into his house. The one who sees it in the host’s house does not have to leave, according to the apparent meaning of Ahmad’s words. He said, according to the report of al-Fadl: If he sees an image on the curtain that he did not see when he entered, that is less serious than if it was on the wall. It was said: If he did not see it until the food was placed before them, should he leave? He said: Do not make things too difficult for us; but if he sees it he should rebuke them and tell them not to do that. End quote.

Al-Mughni (8/113)

But at least it is makrooh to enter churches unnecessarily, because the fact that the angels and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not enter the house in which there were images indicates that it is makrooh.

Moreover this being makrooh may reach the level of being haraam if entering the church will lead to any bad consequences such as if it means approving of the Christians’ shirk and their claim that Allaah has a wife and son, exalted be Allaah far above that. Or if entering the church is a sign of taking the Christians as friends and loving them, and so on.

It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (2/115):

If your going to the church is just to show tolerance and lenience, then it is not permissible, but if it is done to call them to Islam and create opportunities for you to do so, and you will not be taking part in their worship and you are not afraid that you may be influenced by their beliefs or customs, then it is permissible. End quote.

See also the answer to question no. 11232.

And Allaah knows best

Salam Sister Amirah80:hearts:

Phoyage

nobody wants that. if its a part of religion class, and and they try to give general knowledge about every religion so where is the problem? its according to our sense that they insult. but waht they want to teach is general knowledge about other religion.
I disagree with that.
As a kid your mind can't difference between right and wrong.
Over 6 they do.
And some may take later.
Why are they teaching them when they are soo young.
They should teach them when they can difference between this religion is wack and stupid, and this religion is right.
I think they take them at such a young age so they can ruin their minds when they are young