Speed Reading

BroNfaith

Peace!
:salam2:

Dear brothers & sisters, has anyone ever taken a course in Speed Reading before?

I'm asking this because I've just started a self-paced course at home using a textbook, which promises - at least - to triple my reading speed and increase retention at the same time. It would be maginificent if I could aquire such skills, and I'm quite optimistic, because I've heard about many people increasing their speed after taking such courses, but yet to meet any of them.

Experience, anyone? Thanks in advance :)

P.S: If I do well, I'll post my improved rates here in sha' Allah :SMILY346:

Salam,

Bekor4i

Assalamu A'laikum.
I've done some self-paced exercises. I think I've achieved some rsults, though I had some lazyness, and didn't do it persistently.
If you do it everyday during 6 months, you defenitely get 5K/min or more....
now I stuck in 500/min.... needa go higher....
good luck.

btw... which course r u taking?
I did some in Tony Buzan, and some mixed stuff from russian language sourses.

BroNfaith

Peace!
:wasalam:

Glad to know that you achieved good results, ma sha' Allah. 500/min is better than my current speed methinks, though I will test my initial speed tomorrow, in sha' Allah. And I'll see how it goes from there.

Good luck to you too brother :)

btw I have Peter Kump's book.

BroNfaith

Peace!
Day 2: Initial Test

Today I tested the initial speed, and it was approximately 220/min with good retention. I think I focused on the retention more than the speed, because I knew that I would test the retention later on. According to the book: "You are an average reader, and you should benefit a great deal by following this book carefully."

Things look good so far alhamdulilah :D 40 days remaining :SMILY346: (total 6 weeks course)

Salam,

Bekor4i

MashaAllah bro,
Your rsult appeared better than mine. I had 150 at the beginning LOL.
Keep on perfecting your abilities and use them in good and beneficial way for all.

wassalam

BroNfaith

Peace!
MashaAllah bro,
Your rsult appeared better than mine. I had 150 at the beginning LOL.
Keep on perfecting your abilities and use them in good and beneficial way for all.

wassalam
Jazaka Allahu khairan brother. I'll try to blog my daily progress here in-sha'-Allah so that others can take heart in improving themselves. The muslim leader that everyone is waiting for to unite the muslims will need competent people to work with in order to succeed. He can't do ANYTHING with incompetent personnel. We all need to improve ourselves and gain the needed skills to help the ummah. Speed Reading is one of those important skills, because if you can increase your speed 5 times better (which is very possible), you will read the material of an hour in 12 minutes only. Imagine the benefit on the long-term! This is very improtant for us in order to catch up with the other civilizations. Speed is one of the winning cards for Islam.

It seems there are not many brothers or sisters interested, maybe they didnt see the thread. But I believe that, one day, someone will look here and benefit, and then help the ummah. This is why I shall continue in-sha'-Allah.

Thank you brother bekor4i :) may Allah bless you.

Salam,

BroNfaith

Peace!
Day 3: Using the Index Finger

The lesson today was to run the index finger underneath the words which are being read. It increases the reading speed, as it helps eliminate the habit of unconcious regression that we do without knowing, according to the book.

It was an unusual experience in the beginning, but after some training, I took a test, and the result was an astonishing increment of 45%! Alhamdulilah :D This time, I didn't focus alot on retention as I did in the initial test, so that also helped in the rise. But still, a result of 320/min is a very good improvement in a period of 24 hours. It's still feeling awkward to use the finger, but I'll get used to it with practise in-sha'-Allah.

I will travel today for 1 day, so I'm not sure if I can post tomorrow, but I will be posting the next day in-sha'-Allah. (I won't skip the lesson though :SMILY346:)

See you then :SMILY259:

Salam,

Bekor4i

www.turntoislam.com/forum/images/smilies/assalam.gif

Good improvement, though.... do you know that the mind works a little bit different than it seems.
so, what I wanna say's, You've got some result, e.g.: 320/min (words of signs?) is in temporary memory, and if you not keep it in longer terem, your mind forgets new speed and returns to what it was comfortable for it, i.e. back to the slower speed.
Ma assalama