Should I change my name

Living Soul

:salam2: brothers n sisters

My name is "Asifa" But I dont know its meaning and origin. Can anybody help.Is it a good name or should i change.Because name has effect on personality. Some people say it means Fast wind. which is not quite good.Can anybody help me.

:wasalam:

Zaynab123

Subhana Allah!

My name is "Asifa" But I dont know its meaning and origin. Can anybody help.Is it a good name or should i change.Because name has effect on personality. Some people say it means Fast wind. which is not quite good.Can anybody help me.

:salam2:

hello dear sister, i don't exactly see whats wrong with ur name. i like how it sounds but if u think u should change it or u feel that u don'y like its meaning u can change it.

if u want to check out islamic girl names here:http://www.islamcan.com/cgi-bin/increaseiman/htmlfiles/static/106238083384522.shtml

good luck Sister......:hearts:

Mumin01

to the best of my islamic knowledge , your not required to change your name in islam unless it carries some connotation or denotation, for instance if ur name is the name of some false deity, like Athena or Mercury or something its required,

I forgot who the prophet Sal Allahu alayhi was salam changed a companions (ra) name because it was formely Abdul Kabaa ( The Servant of the Kabaa)

but i learned that many new muslims especially bak in the days of the Prophet SAl Allahu alayhi wa salam didnt change their names when they converted because it didnt imply and servitude to any diety or object

ex. Khalid, ect

Insha Allah that helped, any good is from Allah subhanahu wa tala'a, any mistakes are mine

peace

najbc

did your mother give you that name, than why are you changing it, i think that would be slap ast face to your mother. i think the first name people are given are part of their identity. if i was you, i would not change regardless of its meaning because i would have had the name for as long as i can remember. again it is just me.

AfricanStar

changing it legally?

I think its a big decision that should be discussed with your family. I know some friends who have done it and their family wasn't too happy about it and some that were understanding. I'm not sure if you're a revert to Islam or not but just keep in mind that it's not a requirement to do so however if you feel strongly about it (being that one's name represents/defines them) then go for it. I would recommend you have a talk with your family about it though. Let them know your intentions, the reasons and that your not ashamed of the name that your gave you (just cautious...).

MariamK

Your not required to change ur name at all in islam unless it means something haram (forbidden,) fast wind doesnt mean anything haram inshAllah keep it as it is. you may email the sheikh on www.islamqa.com web site and ask him for his advice.
Dont worry and dont change ur name unless the sheikh says so. Let us not hurt our family by chaning our names if they mean good things. u can keep ur name from ur parents.. jst as i have done (mariam is my islamic name..and the k in my id stands for my english name.)
hiyyak Allah

Your not required to change ur name at all in islam unless it means something haram (forbidden,) fast wind doesnt mean anything haram inshAllah keep it as it is. you may email the sheikh on www.islamqa.com web site and ask him for his advice.
Dont worry and dont change ur name unless the sheikh says so. Let us not hurt our family by chaning our names if they mean good things. u can keep ur name from ur parents.. jst as i have done (mariam is my islamic name..and the k in my id stands for my english name.)
hiyyak Allah

Sister ur a mistaking by saying u not required 2 change ur namem att all in islam okay then sis give me a hadith tht says tht or in the Quran or where ever u got the idea frm

ShyHijabi

Is it mandatory for one who newly embraces Islaam to change his or her name?

al-hamdu lillaah.

He or she is not required to change his or her name unless it embodies the worship of someone or something other then God, Allaah. However, its amelioration by choosing a new Islamic name is legitimate and encouraged. The fact that he or she would change his or her name from a pagan or non-Islamic name to an Islamic one would be considered commendable--however, it is not mandatory.

Thus, if one's name is Abdul-Messiah, for example, or similar such names, then he is obligated to change it, as the Prophet (peace upon him) had people with the names Abdul-Ka'bah and Abdul-Uzzah change their names upon accepting Islaam.

If the original name does not comprise or imply anything forbidden in Islaam, then he or she is permitted to retain it (such as the name George, for example). As noted, though, it is preferable to change it to an Islaamic name, as this also distinguishes him or her from the kuffaar.

Note that if changing one's name in official documents and records poses a great inconvenience, it would suffice to change it among the people. In this case, he or she is called by his or her new name by friends, acquaintances, and the general public, while offical documents would retain the original given name.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Daleel should always be used when posting whether something is halaal or haraam

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/372/changing%20name

massi

By Arabic language it's mean storm
but I don't know if it's an Arabic language

khurram khan

notice sis

salam alaikum dear sister.

Asifa is a beautiful name sister and i think u shouldn't change that ,why because the first thing is that u might believe in supersititious things like beliveing in foretell or astrology something .REMEMBER that in ISLAM it is not pemitted to belive in presage thing because ALLAH only knows that what is in ur future and only prayers(dua) can change if something bad is there.

one more thing we cann't do anything, everything happens or forced to do from ALLAH anly .If u do gud things it is from ALLAH if u do any bad things no doubt that satan will insist u but its a kind of test from ALLAH.

so my reply may be verbose or seems not so important but i thought to tell u what i felt or understand from ur question.

let it be what it is (asifa ) but try to change urself if u could do interms of
sprituality,morality,physically.
CHANGE YOURSELF INTERNALLY NOT EXTERNALLY.
IF my writing influences u then u can reply me otherwise ignore it for a stupid brother who spent 12 minutes for it ,bye tk care.

aelshamy

how do you pronounce the first letter in your name. Is at as the first letter in AHMED or it is as the first letter in AISHA. if it is as AISHA it means fast wind and if it is as AHMED it dosnt mean fast wind

aelshamy

how do you pronounce the first letter in your name. Is at as the first letter in AHMED or it is as the first letter in AISHA. if it is as AISHA it means fast wind and if it is as AHMED it dosnt mean fast wind

I have to add that I am talking about arabic meaning

Ghareebah

Bint Abdulkadir
did your mother give you that name, than why are you changing it, i think that would be slap ast face to your mother. i think the first name people are given are part of their identity. if i was you, i would not change regardless of its meaning because i would have had the name for as long as i can remember. again it is just me.

salam the prophet sallalahu alayhi wasalam used to change the sahabas name which had bad meaning or were attributed to false diety, i.e he changed the name of abu huraira, which his real name was Abdul shams (slave of the son) to Abdul Rahman and he changed a female sahabas name which meant ugly to jameela- beautiful. if the prophet chnged these names..should we not follow his example?

Does changing one's name change the divine decree?
Does changing one's name change the divine decree?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Changing one’s name does not change the divine decree, but it may have an effect on the person and his life.

Al-Bukhaari (6190) narrated from Ibn al-Musayyab that his father came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and he said, “What is your name?” He said, “Hazn (meaning rough).” He said, “You are Sahl (meaning easy).” He said, “I will not change the name that my father gave to me.” Ibn al-Musayyab said, “And we have had roughness (in character) ever since.”

With regard to the phrase “And we have had roughness (in character) ever since” –

Al-Haafiz said in al-Fath:

Al-Dawoodi said: it means that they were harsh, except that in the case of Sa’eed this harshness showed itself only in anger for the sake of Allaah. Someone else said: it refers to the toughness that remained in their character. The genealogists said that his son had some bad characteristics that were well known among them, which you could find in all of them.

Ibn al-Qayyim said:

Because names have meanings, it is wise that there should be a proper connection between the meaning of the names and the object that is carrying the name. It should not be the case that the meaning is not suited to the object and there is no connection between the meaning and the object, because this is what is decreed by the Most Wise, and reality testifies to that. Indeed names have a great impact on the objects to which they are applied, and the objects that carry these names will definitely be influenced by these names, whether these names are good or ugly, whether they refer to meanings of lightness or heaviness, kindness or cruelty.”

Zaad al-Ma’aad, 2/336

And Allaah knows best.