Did I fast incorrectly?

Waseem203

Young Muslim
Salam

I've been hearing that Ramadan actually begins tomorrow, and not today. I myself had stayed up to look for the crescent but I couldn't find anything, many say that it will be emerging this night, and Ramadan actually begins tomorrow. Can anyone clarify on this because I heard it is haram to fast the days before Ramadan.

Thanks all.

Salam.

palestine

Servant of Allah
ramadan started sept. 1st. qatar, saudi arabia, yemen and most of the muslim countries fasted this day.

JD19

Also check out www.crescentwatch.org

Here in NYC, the moon was visible last night so today the 2nd of September is our first day of Ramadan. Some others here started fasting yesterday based on calculations and what other countries declared.

amirah80

*Fear Allah*
:salam2:

This is a late response but the moon was not sighted anywhere in the USA and alot of councils stated it would be on Sept 2 as the 1st day of Ramandan. I called several masjids and some started Sept 1 but that was not based off a siting in the USA. But a citing elsewhere I assume Saudia. Also alot said Sept 2nd. But different scholars differ in opinion whether you can fast based of another countries citings or by the citing of your country. I fasted with my Jammat and they started Sept 2nd. After reading fatwas and hadiths I went with the council of the our country. I just hate to see the USA so divided on the issue half on the 1st and have on the 2nd. Now what do you do in turns of the Eid? Also the day you are referring to that is haram to fast before the Ramandan is called the day of doubt. If the whether is akward and the moon is not visible or you are unsure you fast 30 day shaban and then start Ramandan.

The Prophet (SAWS) said, “Fast when you see the new moon and break your fast when you see the new moon, and if you are not sure, then complete the number of Shaban as thirty days.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1909).

Salam Amirah80

There are several threads that will provide info from the councils here in one I posted like 3 or 4 different links.