Imsaak (stopping eating) a few minutes before Fajr is bid’ah

a_brother

Make dua for us all

In some countries there is a time approximately ten minutes before Fajr which they say is the time of imsaak (stopping eating and drinking), when the people usually start fasting and stop eating and drinking. Is what they do correct?.

Praise be to Allaah.

What they do is not correct.

Because Allaah has permitted the fasting person to eat and drink until dawn comes. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“and eat and drink until the white thread (light) of dawn appears to you distinct from the black thread (darkness of night)”

[al-Baqarah 2:187]

al-Bukhaari (1919) and Muslim (1092) narrated from Ibn ‘Umar and ‘Aa’ishah that Bilaal used to give the adhaan at night. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Eat and drink until Ibn Umm Maktoom gives the adhaan, for he does not give the adhaan until dawn comes.”

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

This shows that it is permissible to eat, drink, have intercourse etc until dawn comes.

Al-Haafiz ibn Hajar said in Fath al-Baari (4/199):

One of the reprehensible innovations that have appeared in our times is giving the second adhaan approximately twenty minutes before Fajr in Ramadaan, and extinguishing the lamps which indicate that it is haraam to eat and drink for those who want to fast. Those who introduced this innovation claim that they are erring on the side of caution with regard to an act of worship.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen was asked about some timetables which give the time of imsaak as being approximately one-quarter of an hour before Fajr. He said:

This is a kind of bid’ah (innovation) which has no basis in the Sunnah. Rather the Sunnah is to do the opposite, because Allaah says in His Holy Book (interpretation of the meaning):

“and eat and drink until the white thread (light) of dawn appears to you distinct from the black thread (darkness of night)”

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Bilaal gives the adhaan at night, so eat and drink until you hear the adhaan of Ibn Umm Maktoom, for he does not give the adhaan until dawn comes.” This imsaak which some of the people do is an addition to that which Allaah has enjoined, so it is false. It is a kind of extremism in religion, and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Those who go to extremes are doomed, those who go to extremes are doomed, those who go to extremes are doomed.”

Narrated by Muslim, 2670

And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/12602

naim87

yes

i'm from Malaysia. Yes, we have to stop eating and drinking before imsak, but it still not haraam until dawn.

Happy Fasting!!! ~_~

a_brother

Make dua for us all
Waalaykom Asalam warahmatu Allah

waeyakom my brothers and sisters :)

May Allah accept our fasting...

Wasalamo Alaikom

ohhockleng

Mualaikumsalam, awesome, thank you very much it is indeed bidaah, I still wonder why malaysia still print their fasting schedule with imsaak in it. If I'm not a mistaken, during prophet muhammad's time, after adhaan and before his associate wanted to qamat he stop him and say let our brother here finishes his food first.

boymuh

Hajj please..
If I'm not a mistaken, during prophet muhammad's time, after adhaan and before his associate wanted to qamat he stop him and say let our brother here finishes his food first.

Can I have the authentic verses/hadits/dalil on this?

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
Mualaikumsalam, awesome, thank you very much it is indeed bidaah, I still wonder why malaysia still print their fasting schedule with imsaak in it. If I'm not a mistaken, during prophet muhammad's time, after adhaan and before his associate wanted to qamat he stop him and say let our brother here finishes his food first.

Can I have the authentic verses/hadits/dalil on this?

As-salaamu `alaykum. Not sure if it's directly what you're asking for, but Shaykh Al-Albaanee rahimahullaah said,

So when Allaah's Messenger, sallallaahu alaihi wa sallam, has made it clear to us that there is in the matter of a persons taking suhoor, latitude and a margin of ease, to the extent that he said,

"If one of you hears the call to Prayer whilst the vessel is in his hand, then let him not put it down until he has completed his need from it."

So it is opposition to Allaah and to the Messenger that a person says that one who hears the adhaan whilst he has food in his mouth must spit it out upon the ground. This is not from the Sunnah. Rather this is contrary to the Sunnah, and is contrary to the clear command of the Messenger, sallallaahu alaihi wa sallam,.

And I have been asked many times, so I will not leave the need for such a question, but rather I will precede you in it, by stating that this hadeeth is to be found in some of the most famous books of the Sunnah. From them being the Sunan of Aboo Daawood, and it is the third book from the well-known six books. The first of which is Saheehul-Bukhaaree, the second being Saheeh Muslim, and the third being the Sunan of Aboo Daawood.

This hadeeth is to be found in it, and it is likewise reported by Aboo Abdullaah al-Haakim in his Mustadrak, and it is likewise reported by the Imaam, the Imaam of the Sunnah Ahmad ibn Hanbal, rahimahullaah, in his tremendous book known as the Musnad of Imaam Ahmad.

So the hadeth is not a strange hadeeth, rather it is a well-known hadeeth, and was reported by the Imaams of the sunnah in the early times, and with an authentic chain of narration.

See this thread for the entire article on Ramadaan. Hope it helps,

Was-salaam

a_brother

Make dua for us all
Asalamo Alaikom :)

Jazakom Allah Kair for adding those taughts... Allah made Islam easy for us to practice!

Wasalamo Alaikom

dianne

Mualaikumsalam, Thank you very much for the link and the post :)

Assalamualaikum Brother,
U no need to wondering what government do their job as a muslim govt & Islamic country,i hope you will understand.
The Imsak schedules, time for adhan time table that we have now is just for our informations.please do not admit on it.sometimes when u at work u didnt hear any adhan,so the schedule that you can refer to.Harap Maklum!
wassalamualaikum

boymuh

Hajj please..
Assalamualaikum Brother,
U no need to wondering what government do their job as a muslim govt & Islamic country,i hope you will understand.
The Imsak schedules, time for adhan time table that we have now is just for our informations.please do not admit on it.sometimes when u at work u didnt hear any adhan,so the schedule that you can refer to.Harap Maklum!
wassalamualaikum

Setuju, I think it's just a reminder & to be prepared, not a "must stop eating time".

julie-sarri

Me and my husband were discussing this very subject because his masjid told him he was wrong to carry on eating then he went and showed them the hadiths and now they say he was right

Zainudin Jaffar

Strive to be Mukmin
Assalamualaikum Brother,
wassalamualaikum

A reminder is just that a REMINDER, nothing more to it. Just in case you got carried away not realising fajar is near or you can't hear the azan. Don't have to follow it, suit yourself.

If you woke up late with few minutes to spare, by all means eat and drink until azan is called. Imsaak is not attached to any law of fiqh it's just a REMINDER, that's all to it.

wallahualam

ohhockleng

Setuju, I think it's just a reminder & to be prepared, not a "must stop eating time".

Assalamualaikum Brother,
wassalamualaikum
Assalamualaikum thats the problem with our government(sorry I hate our government) what does the word imsak means in arabic it means stop eating, our prophet muhammad pbuh says you eat till azan and I don't need no useless malaysian government to tell me when to stop eating. Plus some more it's so funny when I see the word masjid "JAMEK" but the mosque is small, "JAMEK" actually means big and the word ustaz and ustaza is merely the meaning Mr and Mrs not somebody who is "alim"(knowledgeful) of the religion.

tanzim7860

In some countries there is a time approximately ten minutes before Fajr which they say is the time of imsaak (stopping eating and drinking), when the people usually start fasting and stop eating and drinking. Is what they do correct?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Because Allaah has permitted the fasting person to eat and drink until dawn comes. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

al-Bukhaari (1919) and Muslim (1092) narrated from Ibn ‘Umar and ‘Aa’ishah that Bilaal used to give the adhaan at night. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Eat and drink until Ibn Umm Maktoom gives the adhaan, for he does not give the adhaan until dawn comes.”

This shows that it is permissible to eat, drink, have intercourse etc until dawn comes.

One of the reprehensible innovations that have appeared in our times is giving the second adhaan approximately twenty minutes before Fajr in Ramadaan, and extinguishing the lamps which indicate that it is haraam to eat and drink for those who want to fast. Those who introduced this innovation claim that they are erring on the side of caution with regard to an act of worship.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen was asked about some timetables which give the time of imsaak as being approximately one-quarter of an hour before Fajr. He said:

This is a kind of bid’ah (innovation) which has no basis in the Sunnah. Rather the Sunnah is to do the opposite, because Allaah says in His Holy Book (interpretation of the meaning):

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Bilaal gives the adhaan at night, so eat and drink until you hear the adhaan of Ibn Umm Maktoom, for he does not give the adhaan until dawn comes.” This imsaak which some of the people do is an addition to that which Allaah has enjoined, so it is false. It is a kind of extremism in religion, and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Those who go to extremes are doomed, those who go to extremes are doomed, those who go to extremes are doomed.”

Narrated by Muslim, 2670

And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A

Astaghfirullah ex

Praise be to Allaah.

Narrated by Muslim, 2670

And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A

Astaghfirullah. Shame on you. Lannat upon your corrupt beliefs. Firstly the last hadith u stated 'those who go to extreme.....' is a completely different hadith to the Adhan of Bilal. Why are u adding the 2 together to make it look like one. Secondly how is closing a fast 10mins before out of caution extreme. I can understand if you close after fajr. In some countries its cloudy and the timings of fajr vary so u can't always be accurate so no issue closing 10mins before. To stop eating before fajr is much better than going over fajr