what does islam say about concubines?

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

A concubine was a woman (usually a slave) kept for the soul purpose of providing sexual pleasure. While the Qu'ran states that a man may have intercourse with his wive(s) and "what his right hand posesses" there is no practice of slavery in the world anymore. (legally, anyways) Any fatwa will tell you a man can only have intercourse with his wive(s) and no one else or it is considered zinah.

So with that said, concubines are haram.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

muslimlady

shukran, but if there was a muslim state and slavery was legal would a concubine then be permissable?

Sarah has answered your question. There is no muslim state and slavery has been made illegal. what is the point of your question? Until such a time such a situation actually exists, the Ulamas will help us deal with the situation.

ShyHijabi

Sarah has answered your question. There is no muslim state and slavery has been made illegal. what is the point of your question? Until such a time such a situation actually exists, the Ulamas will help us deal with the situation.

As the sister said, there is no Muslim state where salvery is still permissible. There is no reason to wonder such questions when the reality of the situation is there are no Muslim states with slaves anymore. The only thing I can see from thinking about thoretical situations is the potential for fitnah.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

I believe Sister Sara has answered your question very well. Hypothetically, this question should be answered by a scholar. We can address your question to a degree of knowledge but, a scholar has the expertice.
In as much as you wish to understand the legality of having a concubine it may do you good to understand the difference between a concubine and a "right hand possession".
Islam does not treat women as objects of sex. It makes no sense to limit the role of a believing woman to being an object of sexual fulfillment. The word concubine is not in the Quran, May Allah subhana talla forgive me for my ignorance if I am wrong.
We are only slaves to Allah subhana talla by choice. The Prophet delivered the Message and slavery was discouraged. An act of atonement was to free a slave.

boymuh

Hajj please..

Can you see the future? Can you guarantee that slavery will not be a positive law (being legal) in any country of this world in the future? Of course, I can say that I can't see the future of our world & I do not want any slavery exist either. But if it does (again) in the future, I'm sure we know what verses of the Qur'an & the hadits we should look at, to seek the laws of slavery. It's all there since 14 centuries ago.

Wallahu'alam.

Wassalaamu'alaikum.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Brother, Muslimlady was being a lady. None of us can see the future. The point of her response was a little deeper than you credit her. There are many kinds of oppressions in the world and there will be oppression. That is the state of the dunya. The question was specific. The questioner asked about salvery and concubines.
This is the month of Ramadan. We must practice patience. Forgive me, but often we are told not to question if at all possible. In my response I suggested that a scholar be asked.
It is up to our Muslim brothers to uphold your sisters. And please be so kind as to use at least a salaam. Thank you for reading my post.

Salaam,

A concubine was a woman (usually a slave) kept for the soul purpose of providing sexual pleasure. While the Qu'ran states that a man may have intercourse with his wive(s) and "what his right hand posesses" there is no practice of slavery in the world anymore. (legally, anyways) Any fatwa will tell you a man can only have intercourse with his wive(s) and no one else or it is considered zinah.

So with that said, concubines are haram.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

*what his right hand posseses*.....does that mean in the old times they had the right to rape the slaves ????

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

That seems to be an incorrect reading. If I am not mistaken the female could not be a virgin. She would have been a married woman. Now, the female has had her life spared. Prior to this she was married to a nonbeliever. She is introduced to Islam. The Muslim who now protects her may marry her. This would be an honor.This is what has been told to us from Allah subhana talla.

Often we get confused by denotations of words.

A woman whose life was spared and is introduced to the right and noble path..who is shown kindness and piety..has her needs, too. Afterall, the Prophet, may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, had a right hand possession. She bore the Prophet, may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, a son. And the Prophet, may the peace and blessings of Allah be
upon him, loved his son.

this is a very edgy topic.... i wonder what ill answer to any1 of my friends if they ask me regarding this part.......

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

I am very tired..why do you have to justify anything to your friends. I am confused. This is the truth. One does not have to justify the truth. One has to hold it in ones heart. There is nothing edgy about it.

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer
:salam2:

Slow down guys,

I'm seeing a lot of people jumping to conclusions based on their understanding of 'slavery' without taking into consideration the specific requirement of such practices to occur.

First of All, in Islam 'freedom' is the natural state of affairs, thus the conditions of having slaves are reduced in various ways.
Just to name a few.

Limiting the circumstances and the number of people who could be taken as slaves
Not allowing mistreatment of slaves
Giving the slaves right to purchase their freedom. This is one of the thing that I do not see in many fatwas that are being posted. More often than not, slaves and the master enter into a contract that sets the conditions for the slave to be freed. The incident of The Prophet Sal lella elahi wasalam, giving Rihana the option of becoming his wife and thus be a free women or not to become his wife and thus remain a slave women, clearly demonstrates this principle.

Making the freeing of slaves a virtuous acts (you can find tons of examples of it, if you go through the hadeeth literature).
Also, banning Muslims from enslaving other Muslims.

Slavery for the Muslims came strictly through wars which many people overlook. These are kuffars who are fighting the Muslims and when they are captured what are the Muslims supposed to do with these people? Massacre all of them?

A group of prisoners could say "we became Muslims", can we just free them only to have them fight against us later? Only Allah knows best if their faith is sincere. In my opinion, it was a necessity for the Muslims during wartime.
It was the most compassionate and virtuous way to deal with Prisoners of War.
Many of these former slaves became Muslims, some became scholars, some became kings (the Mamluk dynasty of Egypt was a slave dynasty), and other became powerful military generals (The viziers of the Ottomans).

You guys are also not taking into consideration that when the Muslims were captured, they were also taken as slaves and they did not have all these rights and room toward freedom.

As for the women being taken as slaves. Majority of these women did become Muslim, some of them married the Muslims, and their off springs were also Muslims. I don't see what is so bad about it?
We are simply spending to much time thinking about "hypothetical scenarios". We should look at real scenarios, I've never come across a single incident during the time of Rasullah Sal lella elahi Wasalam or the Khalifas, that would make one raise their eyebrows.

This reminds me of an story about a man who came to Umar RA to ask a hypothetical question. I forgot the entire question but, the man created a hypothetical situation where he would 'fly by collecting the wind that passes from him in a bag'.
Umar RA's reply was, "come back to me when such incident does take place".
In Islam we know that we should seek knowledge that benefit us and keep away from knowledge that do not.

IMO, dwelling on this hypothetical situation (if slavery came into existance in the future) is not beneficial because we are just going to argue with each other without going anywhere.

P.S. Not sure why a brother should be so concerned about justifying to a friend. If Islam says it is okay to have sexual relation with 'what your rigth hand posses', then just be honest about it. Explain the background history and the circumstances that are required for such practice to take place, and if your friend is not pleased, then there is no reason for you to "justify" it.

Forgive me if I was harsh in my response.

:wasalam:

warda A

Sister
:salam2:
brother xSharingan01x has given a very straightforward answer, jazakallahu kheiran
we do not need more speculations, it will only lead to fitna.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Agreed. There are more pressing concerns to discuss. And as I responded there have been at least two posts on this subject on TTI that were very informative.