Kinds of Hijaab & a question on beards

Kayote

:salam2:

Although I was born muslim in a religious family but I hardly ever took keen interest in Islam. Alhumdulillah, now Im getting more & more curious...

& so I have two questions please:

1- There is the hijaab where a female totally covers her face & head & only the eyes are visible & then there is the hijaab where the head is covered but not the face. Can anyone direct me to documentation on these please. From my understanding, it is the head that must be covered, not the face.

2- Would it be fair to say that the 'hijaab' for men is beard? My brother is Masha'Allah a strong muslim & has never shaved his beard while I myself shave every other day... I would very much like some documentation on beard in the light of Quran & Sunnah.

Last but far from least, thankyou all for helping me & everyone here become stronger, Insha'Allah.

HIGH FIVE!!! :p

:wasalam:

dna1987

Muslim Guy
I visited a lecture by Sheikh Yusuf Estes a while ago and he said that it's compulsory to cover the head but not the face, although it is good to cover the face.

He always starts of his question/answer sessions with the hijab/beard question. Lol.

west

I am a revert so please bear with me:

Hiijaab is for a women to be covered - except for the face and hands. It is sunnah to cover the face. I know that it also depends on the school of thought which you follow

I also know that it is sunnah for a man to wear a beard.
I know a sheikh who has a beard but not a long one - his is well trimmed and taken care of. Remember, the prophet (SWA) frowned upon untidy beards

Can anyone provide some links....I have books which I study from

Kayote

Thankyou dna1987 & west for the info.

Bear with me as my brain is not helping me here but I recall a discussion where someone said that there is no order in Islam that a female should cover her face.

Yes some kind of documentation would be most helpful...

Thanks again. Salam

samiha

---------
Staff member
Thankyou dna1987 & west for the info.

Bear with me as my brain is not helping me here but I recall a discussion where someone said that there is no order in Islam that a female should cover her face.

Yes some kind of documentation would be most helpful...

Thanks again. Salam

:salam2:

Here are some hadith regarding hijab in Islam:

It was narrated that ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: May Allaah have mercy on the women of the early muhaajireen. When Allaah revealed the words “and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms)”, they tore their aprons and covered their faces with them. Narrated by al-Bukhaari in a mu’allaq report and by Abu Dawood (4102); classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

It is obligatory for a woman to cover her hair, face and all of her body, and it is not permissible for her to show any part of that in front of non-mahram men. Whoever does that is exposing herself to the threat and is lacking in faith to the extent that she is failing to respond to the command of Allaah.

And Also I got this from Islam-qa.com
Kinda long.....

Question:
I would like to know those verses in quran which talk about the covering of face by women as i need to show it few persons who want to know whether covering of face by women is compulsory or optional.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

You should note that women’s observing hijab in front of non-mahram men and covering their faces is something that is obligatory as is indicated by the Book of your Lord and the Sunnah of your Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and by rational examination and analogy.

1 – Evidence from the Qur’aan

(i)

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (like both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer palms of hands or one eye or dress like veil, gloves, headcover, apron), and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms) and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands, or their fathers, or their husband’s fathers, or their sons, or their husband’s sons, or their brothers or their brother’s sons, or their sister’s sons, or their (Muslim) women (i.e. their sisters in Islam), or the (female) slaves whom their right hands possess, or old male servants who lack vigour, or small children who have no sense of feminine sex. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And all of you beg Allaah to forgive you all, O believers, that you may be successful”

[al-Noor 24:31]

The evidence from this verse that hijab is obligatory for women is as follows:

(a) Allaah commands the believing women to guard their chastity, and the command to guard their chastity also a command to follow all the means of doing that. No rational person would doubt that one of the means of doing so is covering the face, because uncovering it causes people to look at it and enjoy its beauty, and thence to initiate contact. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The eyes commit zina and their zina is by looking…” then he said, “… and the private part confirms that or denies it.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 6612; Muslim, 2657.

If covering the face is one of the means of guarding one’s chastity, then it is enjoined, because the means come under the same ruling as the ends.

(b) Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “…and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms) …”. The jayb (pl. juyoob) is the neck opening of a garment and the khimaar (veil) is that with which a woman covers her head. If a woman is commanded to draw her veil over the neck opening of her garment then she is commanded to cover her face, either because that is implied or by analogy. If it is obligatory to cover the throat and chest, then it is more appropriate to cover the face because it is the site of beauty and attraction.

(c) Allaah has forbidden showing all adornment except that which is apparent, which is that which one cannot help showing, such as the outside of one's garment. Hence Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “…except only that which is apparent …” and He did not say, except that which they show of it. Some of the salaf, such as Ibn Mas’ood, al-Hasan, Ibn Sireen and others interpreted the phrase “except only that which is apparent” as meaning the outer garment and clothes, and what shows from beneath the outer garment (i.e., the hem of one’s dress etc.). Then He again forbids showing one’s adornment except to those for whom He makes an exception. This indicates that the second adornment mentioned is something other than the first adornment. The first adornment is the external adornment which appears to everyone and cannot be hidden. The second adornment is the inward adornment (including the face). If it were permissible for this adornment to be seen by everyone, there would be no point to the general wording in the first instance and this exception made in the second.

(d) Allaah grants a concession allowing a woman to show her inward adornments to “old male servants who lack vigour”, i.e. servants who are men who have no desire, and to small children who have not reached the age of desire and have not seen the ‘awrahs of women. This indicates two things:

1 – That showing inward adornments to non-mahrams is not permissible except to these two types of people.

2 – That the reason for this ruling is the fear that men may be tempted by the woman and fall in love with her. Undoubtedly the face is the site of beauty and attraction, so concealing it is obligatory lest men who do feel desire be attracted and tempted by her.

(e) The words (interpretation of the meaning): “And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment” mean that a woman should not stamp her feet so as to make known hidden adornments such as anklets and the like. If a woman is forbidden to stamp her feet lest men be tempted by what they hear of the sound of her anklets etc., then what about uncovering the face?

Which is the greater source of temptation – a man hearing the anklets of a woman whom he does not know who she is or whether she is beautiful, or whether she is young or old, or ugly or pretty? Or his looking at a beautiful youthful face that attracts him and invites him to look at it?

Every man who has any desire for women will know which of the two temptations is greater and which deserves to be hidden and concealed.

(ii)

“And as for women past childbearing who do not expect wedlock, it is no sin on them if they discard their (outer) clothing in such a way as not to show their adornment. But to refrain (i.e. not to discard their outer clothing) is better for them. And Allaah is All‑Hearer, All‑Knower”

[al-Noor 24:60]

The evidence from this verse is that Allaah states that there is no sin on old women who have no hope of marriage because men have no desire for them, due to their old age (if they discard their outer clothing), subject to the condition that their intention in doing so is not to make a wanton display of themselves. The fact that this ruling applies only to old women indicates that the ruling is different for young women who still hope to get married. If the ruling on discarding the outer clothing applied to all, there would be no point in singling out old women here.

The phrase “in such a way as not to show their adornment” offers further proof that hijab is obligatory for young women who hope to marry, because usually when they uncover their faces the intention is to make a wanton display (tabarruj) and to show off their beauty and make men look at them and admire them etc. Those who do otherwise are rare, and the ruling does not apply to rare cases.

(iii)

“O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allaah is Ever Oft‑Forgiving, Most Merciful”
[al-Ahzaab 33:59]

Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “Allaah commanded the believing women, if they go out of their houses for some need, to cover their faces from the top of their heads with their jilbaabs, and to leave one eye showing.”

The tafseer of the Sahaabah is evidence, indeed some of the scholars said that it comes under the same ruling as marfoo’ reports that go back to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

The comment “and leave one eye showing” is a concession because of the need to see the way; if there is no need for that then the eye should not be uncovered.

The jilbaab is the upper garment that comes above the khimaar; it is like the abaya.

(iv) Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“It is no sin on them (the Prophet’s wives, if they appear unveiled) before their fathers, or their sons, or their brothers, or their brother’s sons, or the sons of their sisters, or their own (believing) women, or their (female) slaves. And (O ladies), fear (keep your duty to) Allaah. Verily, Allaah is Ever All‑Witness over everything”

[al-Ahzaab 33:55]

Ibn Katheer (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: When Allaah commanded the women to observe hijab in front of non-mahram men, he explained that they did not have to observe hijab in front of these relatives, as He explained that they are exempted in Soorat al-Noor where He said (interpretation of the meaning): “and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands…”

2 – Evidence from the Sunnah that it is obligatory to cover the face

(i)

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When any one of you proposes marriage to a woman, there is no sin on him if he looks at her, rather he should look at her for the purpose of proposing marriage even if she is unaware.” Narrated by Ahmad. The author of Majma’ al-Zawaa’id said: its men are the men of saheeh.

The evidence here is the fact that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said there is no sin on the man who is proposing marriage, subject to the condition that his looking be for the purpose of proposing marriage. This indicates that the one who is not proposing marriage is sinning if he looks at a non-mahram woman in ordinary circumstances, as is the one who is proposing marriage if he looks for any purpose other than proposing marriage, such as for the purpose of enjoyment etc.

If it is said that the hadeeth does not clearly state what is being looked at, and it may mean looking at the chest etc, the response is that the man who is proposing marriage looks at the face because it is the focus for the one who is seeking beauty, without a doubt.

(ii)

When the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded that women should be brought out to the Eid prayer place, they said, “O Messenger of Allaah, some of us do not have jilbaabs.” The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “Let her sister give her one of her jilbaabs to wear.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari and Muslim.

This hadeeth indicates that the usual practice among the women of the Sahaabah was that a woman would not go out without a jilbaab, and that if she did not have a jilbaab she would not go out. The command to wear a jilbaab indicates that it is essential to cover. And Allaah knows best.

(iii)

It was narrated in al-Saheehayn that ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to pray Fajr and the believing women would attend the prayer with him, wrapped in their veils, then they would go back to their homes and no one would recognize them because of the darkness. She said: If the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) saw from the women what we have seen, he would have prevented them from coming to the mosques as the Children of Israel prevented their women.

A similar report was also narrated by ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him).

The evidence from this hadeeth covers two issues:

1 – Hijaab and covering were the practice of the women of the Sahaabah who were the best of generations and the most honourable before Allaah.

2 – ‘Aa’ishah the Mother of the Believers and ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with them both), who were both known as scholars with deep insight, said that if the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had seen from women what they had seen, he would have prevented them from coming to the mosques. This was during the best generations, so what about nowadays?!

(iv)

It was narrated that Ibn ‘Umar said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever lets his garment drag out of pride, Allaah will not look at him on the Day of Resurrection.” Umm Salamah said, “What should women do with their hems?” He said, “Let it hang down a handspan.” She said, “What if that shows her feet?” He said, “Let it hang down a cubit, but no more than that.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.

This hadeeth indicates that it is obligatory for women to cover their feet, and that this was something that was well known among the women of the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them). The feet are undoubtedly a lesser source of temptation than the face and hands, so a warning concerning something that is less serious is a warning about something that is more serious and to which the ruling applies more. The wisdom of sharee’ah means that it would not enjoin covering something that is a lesser source of temptation and allow uncovering something that is a greater source of temptation. This is an impossible contradiction that cannot be attributed to the wisdom and laws of Allaah.

(v)

It was narrated that ‘Aa’ishah said: The riders used to pass by us when we were with the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in ihraam. When they came near us we would lower our jilbaabs from our heads over our faces, and when they had passed by we would uncover our faces. Narrated by Abu Dawood, 1562.

The words “When they came near us we would lower our jilbaabs from our heads over our faces” indicate that it is obligatory to cover the face, because what is prescribed in ihraam is to uncover it. If there was no strong reason to prevent uncovering it, it would be obligatory to leave it uncovered even when the riders were passing by. In other words, women are obliged to uncover their faces during ihraam according to the majority of scholars, and nothing can override something that is obligatory except something else that is also obligatory. If it were not obligatory to observe hijab and cover the face in the presence of non-mahram men, there would be no reason not to uncover it in ihraam. It was proven in al-Saheehayn and elsewhere that a woman in ihraam is forbidden to wear the niqaab (face veil) and gloves.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah said: This is one of the things which indicate that the niqaab and gloves were known among women who were not in ihraam, which implies that they covered their faces and hands.

These are nine points of evidence from the Qur’aan and Sunnah.

The tenth is:

Rational examination and analogy which form the basis of this perfect sharee’ah, which aims to help people achieve what is in their best interests and encourages the means that lead to that, and to denounce evil and block the means that lead to it.

If we think about unveiling and women showing their faces to non-mahram men, we will see that it involves many bad consequences. Even if we assume that there are some benefits in it, they are very few in comparison with its negative consequences. Those negative consequences include:

1 – Fitnah (temptation). By unveiling her face, a woman may be tempted to do things to make her face look more beautiful. This is one of the greatest causes of evil and corruption.

2 – Taking away haya’ (modesty, shyness) from women, which is part of faith and of a woman’s nature (fitrah). Women are examples of modesty, as it was said, “more shy than a virgin in her seclusion.” Taking away a woman’s modesty detracts from her faith and the natural inclination with which she was created.

3 – Men may be tempted by her, especially if she is beautiful and she flirts, laughs and jokes, as happens in the case of many of those who are unveiled. The Shaytaan flows through the son of Adam like blood.

4 – Mixing of men and women. If a woman thinks that she is equal with men in uncovering her face and going around unveiled, she will not be modest and will not feel too shy to mix with men. This leads to a great deal of fitnah (temptation) and widespread corruption. Al-Tirmidhi narrated (5272) from Hamzah ibn Abi Usayd from his father that he heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say, when he was coming out of the mosque and he saw men mingling with women in the street; the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to the women, “Draw back, and do not walk in the middle of the road; keep to the sides of the road.” Then the women used to keep so close to the walls that their garments would catch on the walls because they kept so close to them.

Classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 929

Adapted from the words of Shaykh Muhammad ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) in Risaalat al-Hijaab.

And Allaah knows best.

This is what it seems most large scholors say who have detailed knowledge of the Quran. I myself have recently been wondering about the same topic and so I have begun doing research. Looks as if i should be wearing a niqaab but i'm looking for help from Allah cuz' it's not gonna be easy.

:wasalam:

newusman

Muslim
beard

:bismillah:
Salam:) . I got the following question/answer from www.islamqa.com... i think this answers your question regarding shaving ones beard...

Question:
What is the ruling on shaving the beard or removing part of it?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Shaving the beard is haraam because of the saheeh ahaadeeth that clearly state this, and because of the general application of texts that forbid resembling the kuffaar. One of these reports is the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Umar who said that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Be different from the mushrikeen: let your beards grow and trim your moustaches.” According to another report: “Trim your moustaches and let your beards grow.” There are other hadeeth which convey the same meaning, which is to leave the beard as it is and let it grow long, without shaving, plucking or cutting any part of it. Ibn Hazm reported that there was scholarly consensus that it is an obligation (fard) to trim the moustache and let the beard grow. He quoted a number of ahaadeeth as evidence, including the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) quoted above, and the hadeeth of Zayd ibn Arqam in which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever does not remove any of his moustache is not one of us.” (Classed as saheeh by al-Tirmidhi). Ibn Hazm said in al-Furoo’: “This is the way of our colleagues [i.e., the Hanbalis].”

Is it haraam (to shave it)? Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “The Qur’aan, Sunnah and ijmaa’ (scholarly consensus) all indicate that we must differ from the kuffaar in all aspects and not imitate them, because imitating them on the outside will make us imitate them in their bad deeds and habits, and even in beliefs, which will result in befriending them in our hearts, just as loving them in our hearts will lead to imitating them on the outside. Al-Tirmidhi reported that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “He is not one of us who imitates people other than us. Do not imitate the Jews and Christians.” According to another version: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.” (Reported by Imaam Ahmad) ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab rejected the testimony of the person who plucked his beard. Imaam Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr said in al-Tamheed: “It is forbidden to shave the beard, and no one does this except men who are effeminate” i.e., those who imitate women. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had a thick beard (reported by Muslim from Jaabir). It is not permitted to remove any part of the beard because of the general meaning of the texts which forbid doing so.

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Assalamu alai'kum

According to some religious scholars that I have met covering of the face could be wajib for us depending on the place or situation that requires it. Like when I was back in Saudi Arabia, I wore the face cover when I was on my way to the masjid to perform taraweeh because there were men around who needed to focus and concentrate. Allaah knows best.

anna

assalamualaikum everyone!
now im confused....i once was quite clear on this one.
taking above posts into consideration , are you also implying that women must keep away from all sorts of professional education and simply not be career-oriented. as far as i understand its allowed for a woman to work..?
for instance how on earth is a woman supposed to practise medicine while covering her face which for one is a highly dignified and rewarding profession ..done with the right intention.
i once was contemplating doing niqaab but decided against it since i thought i wouldnt be able to do it in front of my patients and i want to be consistent in everything that i do.
so wats the way out ?
assalamualaikum

ibnAbdullah87

Women should be educated and are allowed to work the problem is the mixing with men and women in the work place where it is known that it is the place where most affair happen (cheating on spouse). But if you can found a job without mixing then no one is holding you back.

Abu Muslim

niqaab (covering of the face)

"The Niqaab in light of the Holy Qur'ân and Sahih Hadeeth and in the Opinions of the great scholars....

From the Qur'ân.....(This tafseer is Agreed upon by Ibn Kathir, Al-Qurtubi and At-Tabari)

The Noble Qur'an ........

Surah Al-Ahzaab, Verse #59
‘O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks ("Jalabib") veils all over their bodies (screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way Tafseer Al-Qurtabi) that is most convenient that they should be known (as such) and not molested: and Allah is Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful."

Surah An-Nur, Verses #30 and #31
‘And Say to the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (like both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer palms of hands or one eye or dress like veil, gloves, head cover, apron), and to draw their veils all over Juyubihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms) [Top]

From the Hadith.....

Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume 6, Book 60, Hadith # 282
Narrated Safiya bint Shaiba (Radhiallaahu Ánha) "Aa'ishah (Radhiallaahu Ánha) used to say: "When (the Verse): "They should draw their veils over their necks and bosoms," was revealed, (the ladies) cut their waist sheets at the edges and covered their faces with the cut pieces.

Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume 1, Book 8, Hadith # 368
Narrated 'Aa'ishah (Radhiallaahu Ánha) Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) used to offer the Fajr prayer and some believing women covered with their veiling sheets used to attend the Fajr prayer with him and then they would return to their homes unrecognized . Shaikh Ibn Uthaimin in tafseer of this hadeeth explains "This hadeeth makes it clear that the Islamic dress is concealing of the entire body as explained in this hadeeth. Only with the complete cover including the face and hands can a woman not be recognized. This was the understanding and practice of the SAHÂBAH and they were the best of group, the noblest in the sight of Allaah (swt) with the most complete Eemaan and noblest of characters. so if the practice of the women of the sahabah was to wear the complete veil then how can we deviate from their path? (Ibn Uthaymeen in the book "Hijaab" page # 12 and 13)

Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume 1, Book 4, Hadith # 148
Narrated 'Aa'ishah (Radhiallaahu Ánha): The wives of Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) used to go to Al-Manasi, a vast open place (near Baqia at Medina) to answer the call of nature at night. 'Umar used to say to the Prophet "Let your wives be veiled," but Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) did not do so. One night Sauda bint Zam'a the wife of the Prophet went out at 'Isha' time and she was a tall lady. 'Umar addressed her and said, "I have recognized you, O Sauda." He said so, as he desired eagerly that the verses of Al-Hijab (the observing of veils by the Muslim women) may be revealed. So Allaah revealed the verses of "Al-Hijab" (A complete body cover excluding the eyes).

Tirmidhi with a SAHIH chain reports...
"Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said “All of a woman is ‘awrah.” (Shaikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid quotes this hadeeth narrated by Tirmidhi with a sahih isnaad and says this is a direct hadeeth from Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam ) and has made it clear that a woman must cover everything including the face and hands!)

Abu Dawood Book 14, Hadith # 2482
Narrated Thabit ibn Qays (Radhiallaahu Ánhu): A woman called Umm Khallad came to the Prophet (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) while she was veiled. She was searching for her son who had been killed (in the battle) Some of the Companions of the Prophet (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said to her: You have come here asking for your son while veiling your face? She said: If I am afflicted with the loss of my son, I shall not suffer the loss of my modesty. Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said: You will get the reward of two martyrs for your son. She asked: Why is that so, oh Prophet of Allaah? He replied: Because the people of the Book have killed him.

Abu Dawood Book 32, Hadith # 4090
Narrated Umm Salamah, Ummul Mu'minin (Radhiallaahu Ánha): When the verse "That they should cast their outer garments over their persons" was revealed, the women of Ansar came out as if they had crows over their heads by wearing outer garments.

Abu Dawood Book 32, Hadith # 4091
Narrated Aa'ishah, Ummul Mu'minin (Radhiallaahu Ánha) "May Allah have mercy on the early immigrant women. When the verse "That they should draw their veils over their bosoms" was revealed, they tore their thick outer garments and made veils from them. Ibn Hajar Al-Asqalanee, who is known as Ameer Al-Mu'mineen in the field of Hadeeth, said that the phrase, "covered themselves", in the above Hadeeth means that they "covered their faces". [Fath Al-Bari].

Imaam Malik's MUWATTA Book 20 Hadith # 20.5.16
Yahya related to me from Malik from Hisham ibn Urwa that Fatima bint al-Mundhir (Radhiallaahu Ánha) said, "We used to veil our faces when we were in Ihram in the company of Asma bint Abi Bakr As-Siddiq (Radhiallaahu Ánha). "This again proves that not only the wives of Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) wore the Niqaab and that even though in Ihram women are not supposed to wear Niqaab but if men are there they still have to cover the face.

Abu Dawood Book 10, Hadith # 1829
Narrated Aa'ishah, Ummul Mu'minin: (Radhiallaahu Ánha) who said, "The riders would pass us while we were with the Messenger of Allaah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam). When they got close to us, we would draw our outer cloak from our heads over our faces. When they passed by, we would uncover our faces. Recorded by Ahmad, Abu Dawood and Ibn Majah, Narrated 'Aa'ishah. [In his work Jilbab al-Marah al-Muslimah, al-Albani states (p. 108) that it is hasan due to corroborating evidence. Also, in a narration from Asma {who was not the wife of Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam)}, Asma also covered her face at all times in front of men.] Shaikh Ibn Uthaymeen in his tafseer of this hadeeth explains "This hadeeth indicates the compulsion of the concealing of the faces as an order of Sharee'ah, because during the Ihram it is "wajib" (compulsory) NOT to wear the Niqaab. So if it was only mustahab (recommended) to cover the face then Aa'ishah and Asma (Radhiallaahu Ánha) would have taken the wajib over the mustahab. It is well known by the Ulama that a wajib can only be left because of something that is also wajib or fardh. So Aa'ishah and Asma (Radhiallaahu Ánha) covering the face even in Ihram in the presence of strange (ghair Mahraam) men shows that they understood this to be an act that was wajib or fardh or they would not have covered the face in Ihraam."

Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume 7, Book 72, Hadith # 715
Narrated 'Ikrima (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) narrates "Rifa'a divorced his wife whereupon 'Abdur Rahman bin Az-Zubair Al-Qurazi married her. 'Aa'ishah said that the lady (came), wearing a green veil." It is a very long hadeeth but the point is the women of Sahaba wore the full veil.

Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume 1, Book 8, Hadith # 347
Narrated Um 'Atiya (Radhiallaahu Ánha) We were ordered (by Rasulullaah '(Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) to bring out our menstruating women and veiled women in the religious gatherings and invocation of Muslims on the two 'Eid festivals. These menstruating women were to keep away from their Musalla. A woman asked, "O Allaah's Apostle ' What about one who does not have a veil (the veil is the complete cover with only one eye or two eyes showing)?" He said, "Let her share the veil of her companion." Shaikh Ibn Uthaymeen in tafseer of this hadeeth explained "This hadeeth proves that the general norm amongst the women of the Sahaba (Radhiallaahu Ánhuma) was that no woman would go out of her home without a cloak, fully concealed and if she did not posses a veil, then it was not possible for her to go out. it was for this reason that when Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) ordered them to go to the Place for Eid Salah, they mentioned this hindrance. As a result Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said that someone should lend her a veil, but did not say they could go out without it. If Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) did not allow women to go to a place like the Eid Salah, which has been ordered by Sharee'ah for women and men alike, then how can people let women to out to market places and shopping centers without where there is open intermingling of the sexes, without a veil. (by Shaikh Ibn Uthaymeen in the book "Hijaab" page # 11)

Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume 8, Book 76, Hadith # 572
In the end of this very long hadeeth it quotes Anas (Radhiallaahu Ánho) relates from Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) "and if one of the women of Paradise looked at the earth, she would fill the whole space between them (the earth and the heaven) with light, and would fill whatever is in between them, with perfume, and the veil of her face is better than the whole world and whatever is in it." This show that even the women of Jannah have veils and the word veil is what covers the face (niqaab).

Abu Dawood Book 33, Hadith # 4154, Agreed upon by Nasai: Aa'ishah (Radhiallaahu Ánha) narrates that on one occasion a female Muslim wanted to give a letter to the Holy Prophet (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam), the letter was delivered to the Holy Prophet (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) from behind a curtain.

Note: Quoted in the famous book Mishkaat. Here the Mufasereen of hadeeth have explained that the hadeeth where women came up to Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) face to face were before the ayah "And when you ask (his wives) for anything you want, ask them from behind a screen, that is purer for your hearts and for their hearts." (Surah Al*Ahzâb ayah # 53) And this hadith proves this order is for the whole Ummah not just for the wives of Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam)!

Abu Dawood Book 2, Hadith # 0641
Narrated Aa'ishah, Ummul Mu'minin (Radhiallaahu Ánha) "Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said "Allah does not accept the prayer of a woman who has reached puberty unless she wears a veil."

Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume 9, Book 89, Hadith # 293
Narrated 'Aa'ishah (Radhiallaahu Ánha) Utba bin Abi Waqqas said to his brother Sa'd bin Abi Waqqas, "The son of the slave girl of Zam'a is from me, so take him into your custody." So in the year of Conquest of Mecca, Sa'd took him and said. (This is) my brother's son whom my brother has asked me to take into my custody." 'Abd bin Zam'a got up before him and said, (He is) my brother and the son of the slave girl of my father, and was born on my father's bed." So they both submitted their case before Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam). Sa'd said, "O Allaah's Apostle! This boy is the son of my brother and he entrusted him to me." 'Abd bin Zam'a said, "This boy is my brother and the son of the slave girl of my father, and was born on the bed of my father." Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said, "The boy is for you, O 'Abd bin Zam'a!" Then Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) further said, "The child is for the owner of the bed, and the stone is for the adulterer," Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) then said to Sauda bint Zam'a, "Veil (screen) yourself before him," when he saw the child's resemblance to 'Utba. The boy did not see her again till he met Allaah.

Note: This hadith proves Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) did infact order the veil to be observed.

Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume 7, Book 65, Hadith # 375
Narrated Anas (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) I know (about) the Hijab (the order of veiling of women) more than anybody else. Ubai bin Ka'b used to ask me about it. Allaah's Apostle became the bridegroom of Zainab bint Jahsh whom he married at Medina. After the sun had risen high in the sky, the Prophet invited the people to a meal. Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) remained sitting and some people remained sitting with him after the other guests had left. Then Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) got up and went away, and I too, followed him till he reached the door of 'Aa'ishah's room. Then he thought that the people must have left the place by then, so he returned and I also returned with him. Behold, the people were still sitting at their places. So he went back again for the second time, and I went along with him too. When we reached the door of 'Aa'ishah's room, he returned and I also returned with him to see that the people had left. Thereupon Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) hung a curtain between me and him and the Verse regarding the order for (veiling of women) Hijab was revealed.

Abu Dawood Book 32, hadith # 4100
Narrated Umm Salamah, Ummul Mu'minin (Radhiallaahu Ánha): I was with Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) while Maymunah was with him. Then Ibn Umm Maktum came. This happened when we were ordered to observe veil. Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said: Observe veil from him. We asked: oh Rasulullaah! is he not blind? He can neither see us nor recognize us. Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said: Are both of you blind? Do you not see him? [Top]

From the Sahaba (Radhiallaahu Ánhuma) .......

Ibn Ábbaas (Radhiallaahu Ánhu), who was one of the most knowledgeable companions of Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam), Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) even made duwaa for him saying "O Allaah, make him acquire a deep understanding of the religion of Islaam and instruct him in the meaning and interpretation of things."

Ibn Jarir (Rahimahullah) with an authentic chain of narrators has quoted Ibn Abbaas' (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) opinion was "that the Muslim women are ordered to cover their head and faces with outer garments except for one eye." (This is quoted in the Ma'riful Qur'an in the tafseer of Surah Ahzaab ayah # 33, with reference of Ibn Jarir with a sahih chain of narrators). The Tabiee Ali Bin Abu Talha explained that this was the last opinion of Ibn Abbaas and the other opinions quoted from him were from before Surah Al-Ahzaab, Verse #59 and the order of the "Jalabib". Shaikh Ibn Uthaymeen commented on this saying of Ibn Abbaas (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) by saying "This statement is "Marfoo" and in Sharee'ah that is the same category as a hadeeth which is narrated directly from Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam). The quote of Ibn Abbaas is quoted by many tabi'een like Ali Ibn Abu Talha and Ibn Jarir in Ma'riful Qur'ân by Mufti Muhammad Shafi vol.7 pg.217 and also in Tafseer Ibn Jarir, Vol. 22, pg.29 and also by Imaam Qurtubi all with SAHIH Chains and explained in the book "Hijaab" by Ibn Uthaymeen, Page # 9 and authenticated in the book "Hijaab wa Safur"by Shaikh-ul-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah (Rahimahullaah) on page #11 and by Shaikh Abdul Aziz bin Baaz (Rahimahullaah) on page # 55 and 60 )

Abdullah Ibn Mas'ud (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) Who was known as the most knowledgeable Sahaabi in matters of Sharee'ah. He became Muslim when he was a young kid and ever since that he stayed with Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) and gained the understanding of Qur'ân from him. Umar Ibn Khattab (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) said about him "By Allaah, I don't know of any person who is more qualified in the matters dealing with the Qur'ân than Abdullah Ibn Mas'ud" Explained, the word Jilbaab (as mentioned in the Qur'ân Surah Ahzaab ayah # 59 ) means a cloak which covering the entire body including the head, face and hands. (Quoted from Ibn Taymiyyah (Rahimahullaah) in his book on fatwaas Page# 110 Vol # 2 and By Shaikh Ibn Uthaymeen in the book Hijaab Page # 15)

Ayeshah (Radhiallaahu Ánha) Stated that in verse 30 and 31 of Surah An Noor "What has been allowed to be shown is the hands, bangles and rings but the face must be covered. (Quoted in the book Purdah P# 195 and in his Tafseer of Qur'ân under the tafseer of Surah An Noor)

Abu Ubaidah Salmani (Radhiallaahu Ánhu), an other well known Sahabi is quoted saying "Jilbaab should fully cover the women's body, so that nothing appears but one eye with which she can see." (Tafseer Al-Qurtubi) And In the time of Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) "The women used to don their cloaks (Jilbaabs) over their heads in such a manner that only the eyes were revealed in order to see the road." (The Book "Hijaab" page # 9)

Ubaida bin Abu Sufyan bin al-Harith ('Radhiallaahu Ánhu' An' Other well known and knowledgeable Companion of Rasulullaah) Imaam Muhammad bin Sirin (Rahimahullah) One of the most knowledgeable tabi'een) said "When I asked Ubaida bin Sufyan bin al-Harith ('Radhiallaahu An'hu) how the jalbaab was to be worn, he demonstrated it to me by pulling a sheet of cloth over his head to cover his entire body, leaving the left eye uncovered. This was also the explanation of the word 'Alaihinna in this verse" (Commentary by Ibn Jarir and Ahkam-ul-Quran, Vol.3, p.457 also in "hijaab wa Safur" quoted by Shaikh Abdul Aziz Bin Baaz under the chapter of his fatwaa on hijab on page #54) [Top]

From the Tabi 'een....

Hassan Al-Basri (Rahimahullah)

States in his tafseer of the Surah An-Nur, "What a woman is allowed to show in this Ayah implies to those outer garments (not the face or hands) which the woman puts on to cover her internal decoration (her beauty). (Quoted in the book "Purdah" P#194 )

Ibn Jarir (Rahimahullah) Quotes the opinion of Ibn Ábbaas (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) "Allaah has enjoined upon all Muslim Women that when they go out of their homes under necessity, they should cover their faces by drawing a part of their outer garments over their heads." (Tafseer Ibn Jarir, VOL 22, pg.29)

The Tabi'ee, Qatadah (Rahimahullah) Stated that the Jilbab should be wrapped and fixed from above the forehead and made to cover the nose, (although the eyes are to show) and the chest and most of the face are to be covered.

The Tabi'ee Ali bin Abu Talha (Rahimahullah) Quotes from Ibn Abbaas (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) that he used to say it was allowed to show the hands and face when Surah Noor ayah #31 was revealed but after Surah Al-Ahzaab, Verse #59 with the word "Jalabib" was revealed then after this Ibn Abbaas (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) said that That the Muslim women are ordered to cover their head and faces with outer garments except for one eye." And this was also the opinion of Ibn Mas'ud (Radhiallaahu Ánhu). (This is quoted by Ibn Taymiyyah (Rahimahullaah) in his book of fatwaa and by Shaikh Abdul Aziz Bin Baaz (Rahimahullaah) in the book "Hijaab wa Safur" Page # 60)

Imam Muhammad bin Sirin (Rahimahullah) One of the most knowledgeable tabi'een) "When I asked Ubaida bin Sufyan bin al-Harith ('Radhiallaahu Ánhu' Other well known and knowledgeable Companion of Rasulullaah) the meaning of this verse about "Alaihinna" and how the jalbaab was to be worn, he demonstrated it to me by pulling a sheet of cloth over his head to cover his entire body, leaving the left eye uncovered. This was also the explanation of the word 'Alaihinna in this verse"(Commentary by Ibn Jarir and Ahkam-ul-Quran, Vol # 3, p.457 also in "hijaab wa Sufor" quoted by Shaikh AbdulAziz Bin Bazz under the chapter of his fatwaa on hijab on page #54) [Top]

From the Mufasireen of Quraan...

The Mufassir, Imaam Al-Qurtubi (Rahimahullah),
Cites in his Tafseer of the Ayah on Jilbaab (Al-Ahzab 33:59), that the Jilbaab is: "a cloth which covers the entire body... Ibn 'Abbaas (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) and 'Ubaidah As-Salmaani (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) said that it is to be fully wrapped around the women's body, so that nothing appears but one eye with which she can see." (Tafseer Al-Qurtubi Surah Al-Ahzab ayah # 59. This was also agreed upon by Imaam Wahidi, Imaam Neishapuri in the book of tafseer of Qur'ân "Gharaib-ul-Quran" and "Ahkam-ul-Quran", Imaam Razi, in his tafseer of Surah Azhab in the book "Tafsir-i-Kabir" Imaam Baidavi in his tafseer of Qur'ân "Tafsir-i-Baidavi" and by Abu Hayyan in "Al-Bahr-ul-Muhit" and by Ibn Sa'd Muhammad bin Ka'b Kuradhi and they have all described the use of jalbaab more or less in the SAME way as the two described by Ibn Abbas (Radhiallaahu Ánhu).)

Also from Imaam Qurtubi (Rahimahullah)
in his Al-Jamia li Ahkaamul Qur'ân states: "All women are in effect covered by the terms of the verse which embraces the Sharée principle that the whole of a woman is ‘Áwrah’ (to be concealed) – her face, body and voice, as mentioned previously. It is not permissible to expose those parts except in the case of need, such as the giving of evidence…" ("Al-Jamia li Ahkaamul Qur'ân")

At-Tabari and Ibn Al-Mundhir
described the method of wearing the Jilbaab according to Ibn Abbaas (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) and Qataadah (Radhiallaahu Ánhu). The sheet should be wrapped around from the top, covering the forehead, then bringing one side of the sheet to cover the face below the eyes so that most of the face and the upper body is covered. This will leave both eyes uncovered (which is allowed in necessity) (Rul-ul-Ma'ani, Vol 22, p.89)

Ibn Kathir (Rahimahullah) said...
"Women must not display any part of their beauty and charms to strangers except what cannot possibly be concealed." (Quoted by Mufti Ibrahim Desi in his article on hijaab) [Top]

From the 4 Madhabib (4 madhabs).......

Mufti Anwar Ali Adam Al Mazahiri (Mufti A'azam (Head Mufti) of Madrasa Madinatil Uloom Trinidad & Tobago.)
"Imaam Shaafi, Maalik and Hanbal hold the view that niqaab (covering the face and the hands completely with only a small area for the eyes to see) as being compulsory (fard). Imaam Abu Hanifa says that niqaab is Wajib and the face and hands can be exposed provided that there is not fear of desire if one looks at the female face, otherwise if there is the slightest chance of desire developing in the looker (the meaning of desire is that the looker would see the female face and think that she is beautiful, sexual thought is not what is meant) then exposing the face and hands is Haraam. (This is from the fatwaa issued by Mufti Anwar Ali Adam Al Mazahiri on 13/9/99. He derived the opinions of the 4 Imaams from these sources Tafseer Ibn Katheer, Tafseer Ma'rifatul Qur'aan, Durre Muhtaar, Fatawa Shami, Al Mabsoot, Fathul Qadeer. And the opinion of Imaam Abu hanifah is a directly derived from his statements in the Famous book of hanafi Fiqh Fatwaa Shami)

Shaikh Abdul Aziz Bin Baaz (Rahimahullah) said "It is compulsory for a woman to cover her face in front of non mahram men" (This has been quoted in Shaikh Bin Baaz's pamphlet on Hijab and in the book 'Islamic Fatwas regarding Women' and in the Arabic version of the book "hijaab Wa Safur" page #51)

Shaikh-ul-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah (Rahimahullah)
Relates that the correct opinion for the Hanbali and Malki madhaib is that is is wajib to cover everything except one or two eyes to see the way. (from the Arabic book "Hijaab wa Safur" under the fatwaa of Ibn Taymiyyah on hijaab, page # 10)

Shaikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid
Quotes All of the woman is awrah based on the hadeeth of "Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said “All of a woman is ‘awrah.” (Narrated by Tirmidhi with a sahih isnaad). This is the correct view according to the madhhab of the Hanbalis, one of the two views of the Maalikis and one of the two views of the Shaafa’is. (Quoted in his book of fatwaa and on his web site)

Jamiatul Ulama Junbi Africa sated that the proper opinion for the Hanafi madhab is that "A woman must be properly and thoroughly covered in a loose outer cloak which totally conceals her entire body including her face!"
(This from the book Islamic Hijab by Jamiatul Ulama P.12)

Mufti-e-Azam Rasheed Ahmad Ludhyanvi (This opinion is taken to be the correct opinion of the hanafi madhab today)
Explained in his tafseer of Surah Al-Ahzaab, Verse #59. "Allaah Ta'ala is telling them that whenever out of necessity they have to go out, they should cover themselves with a large cloak and draw a corner of it over their faces so that they may not be recognised. (From his article "A Detailed, analytical review on the Shar'ee hijab") [Top]

From the known and respect authentic Ulama.......

Ibn Al-Hazam (Rahimahullah)
"In arabic language, the language of the Prophet (saw), the word jilbaab (as mentioned in the Qur'ân Surah Ahzaab ayah # 59) means the outer sheet which covers the entire body. A sheet smaller than that which would cover the entire body, cannot be categorized as jilbaab.(Al-Muhallah, Vol 3. Pg 217)

Ibn Al-Mandhur (Rahimahullah)
"Jalabib is plural for Jilbaab. Jalbaab is actually the outer sheet/coverlet which a woman wraps around, on top of her garments to cover herself from head to toe. This covers the body entirely." (Lisan ul-Arab, VOL 1. Pg.273)

Ibn Hajar Al-Asqalanee (Rahimahullah)
A tradition reported on the authority of Aa'ishah (Radhiallaahu Ánha) says: "A woman in a state of Ihram (during Hajj and Umrah) should stretch her head cloth over to her face to hide it." (In Fathul Bari, chapter on Hajj)

Shaikh-ul-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah (Rahimahullah) relates:
"Women used to room about without Cloaks (Jilbaabs) and men used to see their faces and hands, but when the verse stating 'O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks over themselves.' (Surah Al-Ahzaab,Verse #59) was reveled, then this was prohibited and women were ordered to wear the Jilbaab. Then Ibn Tayimiyyah goes on to say "The word Jilbaab means a sheet which Ibn Mas'ud (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) explained as a cloak covering the entire body including the head, face and hands. Therefore, it is not permissible for the women to reveal the face and hands in public. (Ibn Taymiyyah's book on fatwaas Page# 110 Vol # 2 also in the book Hijaab Page # 15)

Shaikh Abdul Aziz Bin Baaz (Rahimahullah)
"According to the understanding of the best generations (the "Salaf") after the ayah of hijaab was revealed than Muslims women must cover everything including the face and hands. they can show one eye or two eyes to see the way. this was the opinion held by many of the Sahaabah like Ibn Abbaas, Ibn Masud, Aa'ishah (Radhiallaahu Ánhuma) and others and this opinion was upheld by the Tab'ieen who followed than as Ali bin Abi Talha and Muhammad bin Sirin (Rahimahullaah) and by the righteous ulama who followed them as Ibn Taymiyyah and Imaam Ahmed bin Hanbal (Rahimahullaah)" (Quoted from the book "hijaab wa Sufor")

Shaikh Abubakar Jassas (Rahimahullah)
states "This verse of Surah Ahzab shows that the young women when going out of their homes are ordered to cover their faces from strangers (non-mahram men), and cover herself up in such a manner that may express modesty and chastity, so that people with evil intentions might not cherish hopes from her". (Ahkum Al-Quran, VOL. III, p.48)

Qazi Al-Baidavi (Rahimahullah)
"to let down over them a part of their outer garments" means that they should draw a part of their outer garment in front of their face and cover themselves" (Tafsir-I-Baidavi, Vol 4, p.168)

Jamia Binoria Pakistan (This is a Question and Answer from a Mufti at one of the hanafi Universities of Pakistan)
Question: Under which conditions are women allowed to leave the home?
Ans: The principle command for women is that they should remain in their home and should not go out without any extreme need because mischief is feared in their going out. However if they have to go out in extreme necessity then they should go with a Mahram and duly covered in Burqa' (a "Burqa" covers the whole body including the hands and face) or large overlay so that their body including their cloths should not be visible and after buying the required article they should come back at once. In this condition there is no Haraam.

It is also stated in the Famous books of Fiqh Durrul Mukhtar...
"Young women are prohibited from revealing their faces in the presence of men."

Shaikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid click here for the full Fatwaa on niqaab
"The most correct opinion, which is supported by evidence, is that it is obligatory to cover the face, therefore young women are forbidden to uncover their faces in front of non-mahram men in order to avoid any mischief"
An other fatwaa when he was asked about is it preferred for sisters to wear the niqab, he said....
"The fact is that it is obligatory for women to cover their faces" as to how to wear the niqaab the Shaikh said "A woman may uncover her left eye in order to see where she is going, and if necessary she may uncover both eyes. The opening should only be wide enough for the eyes."
Yet in an other Fatwaa he explained what was the Awrah of a woman with..."Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said “All of a woman is ‘awrah.” (Narrated by al-Tirmidhi with a saheeh isnaad). [Top]

Shaikh ibn Uthaymeen

Question: What is the Islamic hijab?
Response: The Islamic hijab is for the women to cover everything that is forbidden for her to expose. That is, she covers everything that she must cover. The first of those bodily parts that she must cover is her face. It is the source of temptation and the source of people desiring her. Therefore, the woman must cover her face in front of those men that are not mahram. As for those of who claim that the Islamic hijab is to cover the head, shoulders, back, feet, shin and forearms while allowing her to uncover her face and hands, This is a very amazing claim. This is because it is well known that the source of temptation and looking is the face. How can one say that the Sharee'ah does not allow the exposure of the foot of the woman while it allows her to uncover her face? It is not possible that there could be in the Esteemed, Wise and Noble Shariah a contradiction.
('Islamic Fatwas regarding Women' Page # 289)

Jamaal Zarabozo In Surah Al-Ahzab, verse 59, Allaah has ordered the believing women to wear a jilbaab. A jilbaab as defined in all the books of tafseer is a cloak that covers the woman's body from the top of her head to her feet. It is also described in those books, form the scholars of the earliest generation that after that verse was revealed, the women would completely cover themselves, leaving, for example, just one eye exposed so they can see the road. Hence, this is the outer garment of the woman that she must wear when she is in front of men she is not related to.

Shaikh Ibn Jibreen
Question: I am married to a woman who wears hijab, praise to Allaah, However, as is the custom in my country, she does not wear hijab in front of her sister's husband and her sister does not wear hijab in my presence. This is the custom. Furthermore, my wife does not wear hijab in the presence of my brother or her cousins. Does this go against the Sharee'ah and religion? What can I do while it has become the custom in my country not to wear hijab in the presence of those people that I mentioned. If I tell my wife to wear hijab in front of those people, she will accuse me of not trusting her and being suspicious about her and so forth.
Response: All of those groups of men that you mentioned in the question are not mahram for her. It is not allowed for her to uncover her face and beauty in front of them. Allaah has only allowed her to uncover in front of the mahram men mentioned in the verse in surah al-Noor, "[Tell the believing women] not to reveal their adornments except to their husbands, their fathers ......" (al-Noor 31).
First, you should convince your wife that it is forbidden to uncover her face in front of non-mahram men. Make her abide by that even if it goes against the customs of your people and even if she makes accusations against you. You should also make this point clear to your close relatives that you mentioned, that is, the brethren of the husband, the husband of the sister, the cousins and so forth. All of them are non-mahram and they all may marry her if she gets divorced. ("Islamic Fatwas regarding Women")

“A person who considers carefully the wordings of the Qur'anic verses, their well-known and generally accepted meaning and the practice during the time of the Holy Prophet (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) cannot dare deny the fact that the islamic Sharee'ah enjoins on the woman to hide her face from the other people and this has been the practice of the Muslim women ever since the time of the Holy Prophet (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) himself” (In the book "Purda" P# 199 ) [Top]

Arabic words explained by Sahaba and Ulama....

Shaikh Ibn Al Hazm (Rahimahullah) writes: "In the Arabic language of the Prophet, Jalbab is the outer sheet which covers the entire body. A piece of cloth which is too small to cover the entire body could not be called Jalbab." (Al Muhalla, vol. 3, p.217.)

The Tabi'ee, Qatadah (Rahimahullah), stated that the Jilbab should be wrapped and fixed from above the forehead and made to cover the nose, (although the eyes are to show) and the chest and most of the face are to be covered.

Jalabib, which is used in the verse is the plural of Jalbab. "Jalbab, is actually the outer sheet or coverlet which a woman wraps around on top of her garments to cover herself from head to toe. It hides her body completely." Lisan ul Arab vol 1 p. 273. (The best explanation is that it is what we would today call a burqa or an abaya.)

Ibn Masood (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) explained Jilbab to be a cloak covering the entire body including the face and hands. (fatwaa Ibn Taymiyyah Page #110 Vol. #2) [Top]

What is Hijab really mean?

"The root word of hijab is hajaba and that means: (hajb) to veil, cover, screen, shelter, seclude (from), to hide, obscure (from sight), to make imperceptible, invisible, to conceal, to make or form a separation (a woman), to disguise, masked, to conceal, hide, to flee from sight, veil, to veil, conceal, to cover up, become hidden, to be obscured, to vanish, to become invisible, disappear from sight, to veil, to conceal, to withdraw, to elude perception.

Hajb: seclusion, screening off, keeping away, keeping off,

Hijab plural: hujub: cover, wrap, drape, a curtain, a woman's veil, screen, partition, folding screen, barrier,

Ihtijab: Concealment, hiddenness, seclusion, veildness, veiling, purdah.

Hijab: Concealing, screening, protecting,

Mahjub: concealed hidden, veiled!

These definitions of the hijab were taken from the: Arabic-English Dictionary, The Hans Wehr dictionary of modern written arabic, edited by JM Cowan. [Top]

Why I Wear Hijab And Not Niqaab

Indeed, all praises are due to Allah, we praise Him, seek His Aid and beg for His Forgiveness. We seek refuge in Allah from the evil in our souls and from the bad consequences of our deeds. Whomever Allah guides, no one can lead that person astray and whomever Allah leads astray no one can guide that person. I bear witness that there is nothing worthy of worship except Allah Who is alone and without any partners and I bear witness that Muhammad (saws) is His slave and final Prophet and Messenger sent to mankind. And certainly the most perfect speech is the Speech of Allah and the finest guidance is the guidance of Muhammad (saws). The worst of affairs are those that are innovated into this religion as every innovation is misguidance and every misguidance is astray and every going astray leads to the Hell Fire.

This article is not meant to serve as a fatwa (legal opinion) as I am not qualified to issue fatwas. I also need to make it clear that I don't follow a madhab (Islamic school of thought) and I respect the four imams just as much as I respect the scholars of today. I don't blindly follow the scholars, I follow the Quran and Sunnah that they follow. Whatever I have written that is true is from Allah alone while anything that is false is from myself and shaytan. May Allah forgive me and have mercy on me, ameen.

I support niqaab. I just don't view it as obligatory. I know a lot of niqaabis who are very dear sisters to me so please don't think I am against niqaabis. I also know a lot of non-hijabis (muslim women who don't wear any head covering) who I am close to. They are striving to cover and may Allah (swt) increase their iman and give them strength to overcome their personal struggle ameen.

A Muslimah who wears hijab is not better than one who wears niqaab and vice versa. Nobody is better than the next except in taqwah (piety, fear of Allah) Allah Most High does not care about our wealth, our beauty or lack of it, etc. What He cares about is what is in the heart such as niyyah (intention) and the deeds. In Saheeh Muslim it is reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “Allaah does not look at your outward appearance and your wealth, rather He looks at your hearts and deeds.” (Hadith No. 4651)

Every Muslim woman will be judged on the Yawm Al-Qiyama (Day of Judgement) concerning what they understood about the command of veiling. So let us leave the judgment to Allah Most High, who is the best of judges.

I have spent three years now researching the controversial issue of niqab vs. hijab. Each time I reach a conclusion hijab always wins. I am attempting to explain why I choose to cover everything except my face and hands using authentic daleel (proof, evidence) insha'Allah (God willing.) There are two sides to the veiling issue in reality so it should be expected that two sides will be presented. We can't force women to decide which of these two sides is right, Allah ta'ala (most high) will guide them. Our duty is simply to convey the message and then hand the hidayah (guidance) over to Allah ta'ala. At this point we have no control over that particular person because this Islamic religion has no compulsion.

I encourage you to read an excellent article compiled by Sharifa Carlo Al-Andalusia titled HIJAB uses excerpts from the esteemed muhadith (scholar of ahadith) Sheikh Nasir Ud-Din Al-Albani (may Allah have mercy on him) on hijab and he uses authentic daleel from Quran and Sunnah. Al-Albani did not oppose niqaab he just didn't rule in favor of it being obligatory. Many of you might know him but for those of you who don't you can read his biography at fatwa-online.com

Hafsah, daughter of 'Abdur-Rahman, once came before 'A'isha wearing a thin shawl over her head and shoulders. 'A'isha tore it up and put a thick shawl over her. The Messenger of Allah (saws) also said, "Allah has cursed those women who wear clothes yet still remain naked." The khalif, 'Umar, once said, "Do not clothe your women in clothes that are tight-fitting and reveal the shapeliness of the body." The above-mentioned traditions make it explicitly clear that the dress of Muslim women must cover the whole body, whether in the house or outside, even with her nearest relatives. She must not expose her body to anybody except her husband, and must not wear a dress that shows the curves of her body. Sheikh Muhammad Nasiruddin al-Albani, are of the opinion that, because modern times are particularly full of fitnah (mischief), women should go as far as to cover their faces because even the face may attract sexual glances from men. Shaikh al-Albani says, "We admit that the face is not one of the parts of the body to be covered, but it is not permissible for us to hold to this taking into consideration the corruption of the modern age and the need to stop the means for further corruption." It is respectfully submitted, however, that in the light of the Prophetic traditions it suffices to cover the body, leaving out the face and hands up to the wrist joints, since this is the specified Islamic covering and it may sometimes be essential for a woman to go about her lawful engagements with her face uncovered. However if a woman prefers to put on the veil (burqah), she should not be discouraged as this may be a sign of piety and God-consciousness (taqwah). The rules on dress are slightly relaxed when a woman reaches old age and her sexual attractions have faded. Such elderly women as are past the prospect of marriage, there is no blame on them if they lay aside their (outer) garments, provided they make not a wanton display of their beauty; but it is best for them to be modest and Allah is the One who sees and knows all things. (24:60)

Each Point Lends Me Towards Hijab

1. Can we safely describe the dress of the sahabi women? Where we there to see how they dressed? Because if we can safely answer this then there would be no disagreements about the two ayat on hijab.

Al-Qurtubi, an eminent mufassir (Qur'anic commentator) stated: "Women in those days used to cover their heads with the khimaar, throwing its ends on their backs. This left the neck and the upper part of the chest bare, along with the ears, in the manner of the Christians. Then Allah (swt) commanded them to cover those parts with the khimaar."

Narrated Aisha, Ummul Mu'minin: Safiyyah, daughter of Shaybah, said that Aisha mentioned the women of Ansar, praised them and said good words about them. She then said: When Surat an-Nur came down, they took the curtains, tore them and made head covers of them. Sunan Abu Dawud: Book 32, Number 4089.

Let's look at the same hadith Sahih Bukhari hadith quoted by pro-niqaabis: "Narrated Aiesha(raa) May Allah bestow is mercy on early emigrant women. When Allah revealed And to draw their veils all over juyubihinna (their bodies, face, necks and bossoms, they tore their moruts (a woolen dress, or waist binding cloth or apron) and covered their heads and faces with those torn Moruts. Sahih Bukhari" Doesn't anyone notice the words between brackets? Why are they there? Keep thinking and insha'Allah I will address this point later.

The Quran tells us to cover but it doesn't specifically say the face or the eyes does it? No it does not. It only says pull the veil over the bosom: WALYADRIBNA BIKHUMURIHINNA 'ALAA JUYOOBIHINNA

WAL=AND

YADRIBNA=PUT

BIKUMURIHINNA=THEIR VEILS

ALAA=OVER

JUYUBIHINNA=THEIR BOSOMS

The Arabic sentence above is directly from the Quran in Roman Transliteration. If you know Arabic you can tell that there is no word in it for FACE or EYES. If you don't know Arabic you are out of luck, you would easily assume that JUYUBIHINNA meant the face or eyes. It certainly doesn't contain the Arabic word NIQAAB. The word juyoob (plural of jaib), also found in the ayah of Surah An-Nur, refers not only to the bosom, as is commonly thought, but also to the neck.

Sheikh Al-Albani says regarding this ayah (verse): If the khimaar covered the face then He ta'aala would not say WALYADRIBNA meaning pull/draw together, but he would have said "let fall" [ using the verb 'sadala' ]. This is ignorance regarding the language.

When you see the translation of the above arabic you see pro-niqaabi people inserting the (face, eyes) in brackets. That is not what it means in Arabic, it is misleading, dangerous, downright confusing, and is a misuage of the language. For example the most widely used interpretation for pro-niqaab is "except that which is apparent means an eye just for seeing." If the Quran says cover the face and eyes as they claim then why did Allah (swt) tell men to lower their gazes? Why would they lower their gazes if their is nothing APPARENT to see? Because you have covered "THAT WHICH IS APPARENT" that Allah (swt) has commanded us that we are allowed to show.

I would suggest that it would be very helpful that instead of all of the words between brackets, if one could quote the hadith or ayah and directly underneath it write the commentary or interpretation. Equivalent to a footnote. That would make it much easier to read. If you have ever read The Noble Quran you know what I mean.

2. There is a MAJORITY of scholars who support that hijab is fard as opposed to the MINORITY of scholars that rule the niqaab is fard. The prophet (saws) said never will this ummah be able to reach an agreement on something unless it is on the truth. The scholars are the inheritors of the sunnah because they take their knowledge from Muhammad (saws) and the understanding of the the first three generations known as Al Salaf As-Saliheen that includes the sahaba, tabieen, and tatabieen.

The Two Ayat On Hijab

Surah An-Nur 24 ayah 31

English Translation from Noble Quran by Dr. Muhammad Taqi-ud-Din Al-Hilali, Ph.D. and Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan

"Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty: that will make for greater purity of them: And Allah is well acquainted with all that they do. And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty: they should not display their ornaments except what must ordinarily appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty...."

Roman Transliteration from Yusuf Ali:

"WA QUL LIL MUMINAATI YARDUDNA MIN ABSAARIHINNA WA YAHFADNA FURUUJAHUNNA WALAA YUBDIINA ZIINATAHUNNA ILLAA MAA DAHARA MINHAA WAL YADRIBNA BIKUMURIHINNA ALAA JUYUBIHINN; WALAA YUBDIINA ZIINATAHUNNA ILLAA LIBU'UULATIHINNA...."

ARABIC-ENGLISH

WA=AND

QUL=SAY

LIL=TO

MUMINAATI=BELIEVING WOMEN

YARDUDNA=LOWER THEIR SIGHT

MIN=FROM

ABSAARIHINNA=LOOKING

WA=AND

YAHFADNA=KEEP SAFE

FURUUJAHUNNA= THEIR FIDELITY (AS IN BE MODEST)

WALAA=DON'T

YUBDIINA=SHOW

ZIINATAHUNNA=THEIR BEAUTY

ILLAA=EXCEPT

MAA=WHAT

DAHARA=ALREADY SHOWS

MINHAA=FROM (HAA REFERS BACK TO BEAUTY)

WAL=AND

YADRIBNA=PUT

BIKUMURIHINNA=THEIR VEILS

ALAA=OVER

JUYUBIHINNA=THEIR BOSOM (JUYUB USED IN ANOTHER CONTEXT MEANS POCKET)

WALAA=DON'T

YUBDIINA=SHOW

ZIINATAHUNNA=THEIR BEAUTY

ILLAA=BUT

LIBU'UULATIHINNA=TO THEIR HUSBANDS

It should be noted that the Arabic word khumur (plural of khimaar) which has been translated above in the ayah from Surat an-Noor as veils, means head covers, nor face veils as may mistakenly be supposed. It refers to a cloth which covers all of the hair.

Surah Al-Ahzaab 33 ayah 59

English Translation of The Holy Quran by Yusuf Ali

"O Prophet! Tell your wives and daughters, and the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments over their persons...."

Roman Transliteration from Yusuf Ali:

"YAA AYUHA NABIYU QUL LI AZWAAJIKA WA BANAATIKA WA NISAAA IL MUMINIINA YUDNIINA ALAYHINNA MIN JALAABIIBIHINN...."

ARABIC-ENGLISH:

YAA=OH

AYUHA=YOU

NABIYU=PROPHET

QUL=SAY

LI=TO

AZWAAJIKA=YOUR WIVES

WA=AND

BANAATIKA= YOUR DAUGHTERS

WA=AND

NISAAA=WOMEN

IL MUMINIINA=BELIEVERS (FEMININE PLURAL)

YUDNIINA=PUT/LOWER

ALAYHINNA=OVER THEM

MIN=WITH

JALAABIIBIHINN=THEIR JELABAS/JILBABS

The ayah quoted from Surah Al-Ahzab further directs Muslim women to put some outer garment over their clothes, and to draw it close around them.

It is a GREAT asset to learn Arabic if it is not our first language. If we don't we have to rely on scholars, people of knowledge, and native Arabic speakers to translate for us. When Arabic is translated into another language it loses some of its meaning...that is the unique beauty of the Quran Majid (Glorious Quran.) I am not saying that we shouldn't rely on these people because of the ayah which says "then ask those who possess the Message (Ahl adh-Dhikr) if you do not know." [Soorah 21, Aayah 7 and Soorah 6, Aayah 43] but only so that you will be able to verify for yourself. “O you who believe! If a rebellious evil person comes to you with news verify it…” [al-Hujuraat 49:6].

3. Often times I have asked niqaabi sisters for proof where it says specifically that niqaab is fard or wajib. Nobody ever can answer me. They usually drop the subject or change the subject (usually attacking the person instead of daleel) This does little to back up their position that niqaab is fard. Until this momemt I don't know why it hasn't occurred to me before to ask a scholar who supports niqaab as fard. I will do so in the future and come back to update point number three insha'Allah.

Not all niqaabis believe that this type of veiling is obligatory. Why do they choose to wear it then? The following reasons have been stated: the intention to draw closer to Allah (swt) by pleasing Him; their husbands request it; more hasanat (rewards) for being more modest; living in a muslim land where face veiling is the norm rather than the exception; personal choice because they like it. The latter reason leads me to my fourth point.

4. Distinguishing between what is MUSTAHABB (encourged/recommended) and what is FARD/WAJIB (obligatory/compulsory) in the SUNNAH(path of guidance from Muhammad saws). The Sunnah has two meanings. The first meaning is in the sense of guidance and examples from the life of the Prophet (saws) There are two subcategories. Wajib is obligatory and naafil is supererogatory. The second is mustahabb, meaning encouraged. If you do it, you will be rewarded but won't be punished for it if you don't. If you neglect something wajib it is a sin and there is punishment for it.

The Prophet's (saw) wives were Mothers of the Believers so what applied to them did NOT always apply to other women in certain cirumstances for instance, after the Prophet (saw) died no man could marry them. Did Aisha (raa) narrate that the Prophet (saw) said niqaab is fard? Did Asma? Did Hafsa? Did Fatima? Is there a Hadith Qudsi that explains niqaab as being fard? If there is a hadith show it to me. Certainly the mothers of the believers veiled their faces and if one wants to strive to be like them (noone will ever be able to hold a candle to them) then masha'Allah.

I just can't shake the feeling that somewhere down the line someone took a special thing reserved for the Mothers of the Believers and turned their obligation into an obligation for ALL women. Wallahi alim. (And Allah knows best) Why do I have this feeling? Because of the following ahadith:

Sahih Bukhari Volume 7, Book 62, Number 22 Narrated Anas: The Prophet stayed for three days between Khaibar and Medina, and there he consummated his marriage to Safiyya bint Huyai. I invited the Muslims to the wedding banquet in which neither meat nor bread was offered. He ordered for leather dining-sheets to be spread, and dates, dried yoghurt and butter were laid on it, and that was the Prophet's wedding banquet. The Muslims wondered, "Is she (Saffiyya) considered as his wife or his slave girl?" Then they said, "If he orders her to veil herself, she will be one of the mothers of the Believers; but if he does not order her to veil herself, she will be a slave girl. So when the Prophet proceeded from there, he spared her a space behind him (on his she-camel) and put a screening veil between her and the people.

and

Sahih Bukhari Volume 5, Book 59, Number 523 Narrated Anas bin Malik: The Prophet stayed with Safiya bint Huyai for three days on the way of Khaibar where he consummated his marriage with her. Safiya was amongst those who were ordered to use a veil.

Do we have a distinguishment here? The Prophet (saws) manumitted Safiya (raa) as part of her mahr when he married her. If Safiya (raa) was only going to be an amma (slave/lady captive) for Nabi (saws) then she would not have had to wear the veil. But since Nabi (saws) ordered her to wear the veil then her position took on a higher significance, not only would she be known as his wife but she would also be known as Umm Al Muminoon. (Mother of the Believers) "Safiya was amongst those who were ordered to use a veil." Does this sentence imply that all women wore the veil or is it used in the context to distinguish her from others? This guy Anas who narrated the above two was the most one to know about the order of veiling next to Umar (raa) who wanted so bad that an ayah would be sent down from Allah (swt) for the Prophet's wives to start veiling and of course the greatest alima (female scholar) Aisha (raa). Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume 7, Book 65, Number 375 Narrated Anas: I know (about) the Hijab (the order of veiling of women) more than anybody else. Ubai bin Ka'b used to ask me about it...."

Also, I found one other hadith that shows a woman who was not the Mother of the Believers. Sunan Abu Dawud Book 14, Number 2482: Narrated Thabit ibn Qays: A woman called Umm Khallad came to the Prophet (saws) while she was veiled. She was searching for her son who had been killed (in the battle) Some of the Companions of the Prophet (saws) said to her: You have come here asking for your son while veiling your face? She said: If I am afflicted with the loss of my son, I shall not suffer the loss of my modesty. The Apostle of Allah (saws) said: You will get the reward of two martyrs for your son. She asked: Why is that so, Apostle of Allah? He replied: Because the people of the Book have killed him.

Is that disapproval from the sahabi men when she came to them with her face veiled? And nabi (saws) did not tell them they were wrong for asking her that. If he disapproved of them criticizing her for wearing a face veil he would have immediately corrected them for he does not forget anything. If it was a fard practice then the sahabi men would not have said anything to her? From what I can understand it is not shown that the Prophet (saws) disapproved of her wearing face veil either. It certainly doesn't specifically say that face veiling is fard. Which must mean she have had a choice right?

5. Some pro-niqaabis claim that Asma (raa) wore the face veil but where is the hadith that says she did? I have never seen or even heard of it. Not to say it doesn't exist. There has been a limited amount of ahadith translated from Arabic into other languages. I did however find the following hadith concerning Asma (raa) "Aisha reported that Asmaa, the daughter of Abu Bakr, entered into the presence of the Messenger of Allaah wearing thin transparent clothing, So the Messenger of Allaah turned away from her saying : ‘O’ Asmaa, when a women reaches the age of menstruation, it is not allowed that any of her should be seen except this’ - and he pointed to his face and two hands." (Sahih, reported from Abu Dawud and Al-Bayhaqee.)

The pro-niqaabis claim that this hadith is weak. [1] It would make so much sense to make it weak in order to make the order of face veiling more stronger. Some even claim that this hadith is interpretated as an exception for prayer. Ok let's assume this particular hadith is in fact da'if (weak) but we still have these:

Narrated Anas ibn Malik: The Prophet (saws) brought Fatimah a slave which he donated to her. Fatimah wore a garment which, when she covered her head, did not reach her feet, and when she covered her feet by it, that garment did not reach her head. When the Prophet (saws) saw her struggle, he said: There is no harm to you: Here is only your father and slave. Sunan Abu Dawud: Book 32, Number 4094.

and

Narrated Aisha, Ummul Mu'minin: Safiyyah, daughter of Shaybah, said that Aisha mentioned the women of Ansar, praised them and said good words about them. She then said: When Surat an-Nur came down, they took the curtains, tore them and made head covers of them. Sunan Abu Dawud: Book 32, Number 4089.

and

Narrated Umm Salamah, Ummul Mu'minin: When the verse "That they should cast their outer garments over their persons" was revealed, the women of Ansar came out as if they had crows over their heads. Sunan Abu Dawud: Book 32, Number 4090.

Commentary from Sheik Al-Albani on the preceding ahadith: Here, the Prophet was waiting for his daughter to cover from her head to her feet, the mother of the believers was praising the women for their understanding and implementation of this verse. If they were wrong, it would have been correction, not praise. Did our great Prophet, himself, not understand? Did his beloved daughter not understand? Did Aisha, the mother of the Believers, who is undisputedly one of the greatest scholars of al Islam, not understand? It is inconceivable that the Prophet and these gre at woman who lived with and learned from the Prophet himself, would understand Islam less than these modern self-appointed scholars of Islam. May Allah guide them and protect us from them!"

6. That tafsir of the above hadith is from Sheikh Al-Albani, the most respected muhadith amongst all of the scholars! Skeikh ibn Baaz and Al-Albani (may Allah have mercy on both) met in Minaa and Sheikh ibn Baaz used to pass all hadith questions to Al-Albani. This is not to forget that Sheikh ibn Baaz himself was an unchallenged imam of hadith.

7. Men are commanded to observe hijab as well. Hijab of the eyes. They are commanded to look down when they see a woman and if they happen to look at her the first glance is excused but if they follow it with a second one they will be held accountable. If men upheld up their part of the bargain then fitnah will not be so rampant. I ask again as I did in point #2, if it is true that Allah (swt) commanded women to cover everything except one or two eye(s), then why would He order the believing men to lower their gaze?

8. To sum all of this up, I would like to list the main errors of those who make the face veil obligatory from Dr. Abu Ameenah Bilal Phillips who translated Ar-Radd al-Mufhim by Sheikh Nasir Ud-Din Al-Albani found in pages 5-20 of the introduction of his book Jilbaab "Al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah", 3rd edition, 1996, al-Maktabah al-Islaamiyyah. Because of its longevity I am only posting the main points so if you would like to view the article in its entirety go to THE FACE VEIL

a. The interpretation of al-idnaa’ in the verse of the Jilbaab to mean “covering the face”. This misinterpretation is contrary to the basic meaning of the word in Arabic which is “to come close”, as is mentioned in authoritative dictionaries like al-Mufradaat by the well-known scholar, ar-Raaghib al-Asbahaanee.

b. The interpretation of jilbaab as “a garment which covers the face.” Like the previous misinterpretation, this interpretation has no basis linguistically. It is contrary to the interpretation of the leading scholars, past and present, who define the jilbaab as a garment which women drape over their head scarves (khimaar). Even Shaykh at-Tuwaijree himself narrated this interpretation from Ibn Mas‘ood and other Salafee scholars.

c. The claim that the khimaar (headscarf) covers the head and the face. In doing so “the face” has been arbitrarily added to its meaning in order to make the verse: “Let them drape their headscarves over their busoms” appear to be in their favor, when, in fact it is not. The word khimaar linguistically means only a head covering. Whenever it is mentioned in general terms, this is what is intended.

d. The claim of a consensus (Ijmaa‘) on the face being considered ‘awrah. Shaykh at-Tuwaijree claimed that scholars unanimously held that the woman's face was ‘awrah and many who have no knowledge, including some Ph.D. holders, have blindly followed him. In fact, it is a false claim, which no one before him has claimed. The books of Hambalite scholars which he learned from, not to mention those of others, contain sufficient proof of its falsehood.

e. The agreement of at-Tuwaijree and the extremists with him to explain away the authentic hadeeths which contradict their opinion. At-Tuwaijree did this with the Khath‘amiyyah hadeeth. They developed a number of comical methods to nullify its implications. I have refuted them all in ar-Radd and one of them in Jilbaab al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah. Some reputable scholars have said that the hadeeth doesn’t contain a clear statement that her face was exposed. This is among the farthest opinions from the truth. For, if her face wasn’t exposed, where did the narrator or the viewer get the idea that she was beautiful?

f. The frequent use of inauthentic hadeeths and unreliable narrations. For example, the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Abbaas about exposing only one eye is commonly used by those who insist that women are obliged to cover their faces in spite of their knowledge of its inauthenticity. In fact, one among them also declared it inauthentic. Perhaps the most important of these unreliable hadeeth commonly used as evidence is the one in which the Prophet is reported to have said, “Are you both blind?” They blindly followed at-Tuwaijree and the others in claiming that this inauthentic narration was strengthened by other supportive narrations and that it was evidence for the prohibition of women from looking at men, even if they are blind.

g. The classification of some authentic hadeeths and confirmed narrations from the Companions as inauthentic. The extremists have declared well-established reliable narrations as unreliable and feigned ignorance of strengthening narrations. They have further declared some narrations extremely inauthentic, like the hadeeth of ‘Aa’ishah concerning the woman who reaches puberty, “Nothing should be seen of her besides her face and hands.” They have persistently declared it inauthentic – the ignorant among them blindly following others devoid of knowledge. In so doing, they contradict those among the leading scholars of hadeeth who strengthen it like al-Bayhaqee and ath-Thahabee.

h. Placing unreasonable conditions. Among the amazing practices of some latter day blind following hanafite scholars and others is that on one hand they agree with us regarding the permissibility of women exposing their faces, because that was the position of their Imaams, but on the other hand they agree with the extremists in opposition to their Imaams. They make ijtihaad (while claiming taqleed) by adding the condition that the society be safe from fitnah to the position of the Imaams. This refers to the fitnah caused by women to men.

These types of errors are astounding!

Conclusion

No matter how we decide to cover we all have one thing in common and that is being a Muslimah in this glorious Din al-Islam (Religion of Islam.) Amongst us Muslim women there is the one who doesn't cover at all because she doesn't think it is obligatory; the one who doesn't cover and is striving to; the hijabi who covers everything except her face and hands; the hijabi who is striving for niqaab; the niqaabi that believes covering everthing is wajib and the niqaabi who believes it is only encouraged. Who is the best? The one that is the most pious. Which one is the most pious? Allahu Alim (Allah Knows Best)!

May Allah guides us all to the straight path, ameen. FiAmanAllah, Tara

Copyright © Tara Gregory 2001

Glossary

Allah=Arabic term for God

swt=subhanAllahu wa ta'ala=Glory to Him Most High

saws=sallalahu alaihi wa salaam=blessings and peace be upon him

raa=radiallahu anha (f) radiallahu anhu (m)

hijab=head covering

niqaab=type of hijab that covers the face

Footnotes:

[1] Sheikh Muhammad Salih Al-Munajjid: "Many scholars have compiled these fabricated and weak ahaadeeth in books devoted solely to these type of reports, so that it is easy to find out about them – then one can beware of them and warn others about them. These books include al-‘Ilal al-Mutanaahiyah by Ibn al-Jawzi, al-Manaar al-Muneef by Ibn al-Qayyim, al-La’aali’ al-Masnoo’ah fi’l-Ahaadeeth al-Mawdoo’ah by al-Suyooti, al-Fawaa’id al-Majmoo’ah by al-Shawkaani, al-Asraar al-Marfoo’ah fi’l-Ahaadeeth al-Mawdoo’ah by Ibn ‘Arraaq, and Da’eef al-Jaami’ al-Sagheer and Silsilat al-Ahaadeeth al-Da’eefah wa’l-Mawdoo’ah, both by Shaykh al-Albaani, may Allaah have mercy on him." Taken from islam-qa.com

Author: I found Al-Albani's compilation of weak and fabricated ahadith at islaam.com under the sunnah section.

References

1. "Muslim Women's Dress" by Sheikh Nasir Ud-Din Al-Albani complied by Sheikh Mahmud Murad

2. "Hijab" by Shariffa Carlo Al-Andalusia with excerpts from Sheikh Nasir Ud-Din Al-Albani

3. "The Face Veil" by Dr. Abu Ameenah Bilal Phillips

4. "The Noble Quran" by Dr. Muhammad Taqi-ud-Din Al-Hilali, Ph.D. and Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan

5. English Translation of The Holy Quran by Yusuf Ali

Recommended Books/Articles To Read

1. "The Face Veil" by Abu Ameenah Bilal Phillips at http://www.bilalphilips.com/abouthim/artic03a.htm

This is an edited translation of a summary of ar-Radd al-Mufhim by Shaykh Naasiruddeen al-Albaanee found in pages 5-20 of the introduction of his book Jilbaab al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, 3rd edition, 1996, al-Maktabah al-Islaamiyyah.

2. Muslim Women's Dress: Hijab or Niqab by Syed Mutawalli ad-Darsh with an introduction by Mazheruddin Siddiqi

The debate on Muslim women's dress is endless. The sisters who opt for face-veil (niqab) may be brave, but we need to dispel the notion that niqab is what is originally required by the Qur'an, and that hijab is a "later modified" version of the original. The sisters who don the ordinary hijab can rest assured that they are following the injuctions of the Qur'an and Sunnah to the letter. The author, Dr Darsh, is an eminent Muslim scholar in Britain. His deep Islamic knowledge combined with years of experience in the west, make him particularly qualified to relate the teachings of Islam to modern societies. He is at present the President of the UK Islamic Shariah Council.

hijabi_sis

Asalaamealykum
i was listening to a lecture by zakir naik (my hero. lolz ) anyway lets get to the point he mentioned that there is a hadith in which women the time of the prophet (saw) covered their faces, so covering the face is allowed in islaam, howver he also stated that those that cover the hair and not the body are still following islaam, because the Quran makes the hijaab fardh- (obligatory) where as the hadith teaches that if women want to cover their face there is no harm in it!
Allah ho Alim- the Creator knows best.

Asiya-sparkles

Salam alaikom wa Rachman t'ullah wa burrahktohu,
May Allah purify us and guide us to the straight path inshAllah.

I am rather interested in this debate and am minded that there are two schools of thought in this issue of niqaab. I'm not a native speaker of Arabic so rely on translations and also on advice from Arabic speaking practising Muslims and educational material and sites.

I am told it was indeed compulsory for the wives of Muhammad(saw) to cover their faces, but that the face and hands may remain uncovered as long as they have not been beautified with make-up and jewellery (which would attract attention). There is the hadith in which Aish'ah(r.a) recollects the reaction of our Prophet Muhammad(saw) when he entered upon her and Asma
(her sister) and he cautioned her for wearing thin or see through clothing stating that a woman can only show (pointing to face and hands) this and these. InshAllah I will locate the hadith (Sahih al Bukhari) and insert. There is also the command for believing men and believing women to lower their gaze, which also would suggest that looking upon the face may happen once for the sake of Allah, but not a second without opening self to zina.

I do agree that all evidence points to the hair being covered and that the garment should be hanging in order to cover the neck and bosom and that the clothing (outer garments!) should cover women so as not to reveal the shape or outline of the body. InshAllah I will find links which further explain, properly the rulings that I have read.

It is a very interesting issue, I know some husbands/sisters who insist upon it- and some husbands/sisters who insist that it is not worn or forms part of the hijaab. Certainly, I know I have the utmost respect for sisters who do wear niqaab. :)

jazak alak ghairun wa barak Allah feekom brothers and sisters.

quraan & sunnah

beard and nikaab general

Assalamualaekum
Good to see some clear and precise replies regards the beard and alhamdulillah we should strive for perfection in our deen in all we do.
The nikaab issue is slightly more here and there
We take from the Q&S that the covering of the body is obligatory upon the woman as is the covering of the mans body too. (with loose fitting garments not showing shape)
The nikaab as we have taken from the ulema of the Quraan and the Sunnah is highly recommended as a brother mentioned earlier. It keeps away unwanted attention whereby helping the woman and the man protect ones self froom falling into sin.
We know that Allaah the most high says (to the closest meaning of the translation) " and get not close to fornication" meaning the things that may lead to fornication. May Allaah preserve and safeguard us all
So even though some of our ulema do not make it obligatory, it is highly recommened. And as i said b4, we should strive to please our lord the most high in ALL our actions and keep away the accursed shaytaan who always brings shubuhaat (doubts) to us in EVERYTHING we do.
Sincerity to Allaah is the key to all our Actions and the following of the way of our beloved Messenger.
May Allah keep us firm on the straight path

saaaamin

there r two types of sunnah , 1.sunnah hokm 2.sunnah daleel , 1.sunnah hokm is a hadith which included a topic without using a command exampe = the famous hadith of the way of how u clean urself after having sex or wet dreams,& according to that if one was put in a situation like those he could easily take a shower but if he cleaned himself as the prophet did he would take more reward , 2.sunnah daleel is a hadith which included a command example = the famous hadith of beard which included a command that one should have a beard . But take care if u were in a state where u r forced nt to have a beard then u can apply the hadith which said that God will forgive our sins if they were only mistakes or forgetfulness or sins we r forced to do.