how to answer the origin of god to an atheist?

nori suja'i

God (Allah) Already Described Himself in Soorah Al-Ikhlas in The Qur'an. Its already clear and up to any individual to accept it or not but God Did Promised of punishment to the one who rejected His Existance. after giving all the proof to none muslim, its up to them to chose and no need argument, their re-action is enough already.

samiha

---------
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum brothers and sisters....

For the sun and the moon issue brother BigAk answered very well.

You have to realize that all translations of the Qur'aan are just translations, it is not something set in stone. Some meanings of the Qur'aan are different in context, some different by just one slight change in form etc. It's not something you can class next to english because it's a completely different category! I mean I dont know Arabic very well yet and even attempting to learn it, you have to take in differences in both languages. I mean like in Arabic most words have tri-consonantal roots. These roots then can form different root words you could say, and each of these words, though from the same root may have different meanings, then from each of these separate root words just changes in structure could change the function of the word and its meaning as well. I'm not going to try to go into those things anyways, as my Arab brothers can explain better.... I hope you re-read the post below:

Al Salam alaikum brother Ivan.

I am not sure what sites you're visiting or referring to... But, being an arab myself, when I read the revse in Sura 10:5, I find the arabic language reflecting accurately. Here goes:

"Huwa' lathee ja'ala' shamsa DIA'A"
"It is He who made the sun to be a SHINING GLORY"
(Yusuf Ali translation)

The word Dia'a does not mean a lamp in the arabic language, and if your site translates it as so, they are wrong. I grew up in Damascus knowing the word Dia'a, and the word Lamp never crossed my mind. Because it's not what it means. A lamp in arabic is "Siraj." The word used here is "Dia'a" which may have a few meanings in arabic. The general meaning is "A light of its own self." When in context of the sun, it means "An Object that shines light of its own." In arabic "Ta'dee'u min tilqa'i thatiha".

The other meaning of Dia'a that comes to my mind; I had a friend in my childhood whose name was Dia'a. In this context, it means this guy was a knlowedgable person who leads humanity via the light of his own wisdom and knowledge (not acquired knowledge but it is that of his own wisdom). If his name was thought of as a "lamp", this poor child would have never escaped the everlasting harrasment of the other kids in school.. :lol:

As far as the rest of the verse.. It goes on:

"Wal Qamara NOORAN"
"And the moon to be a LIGHT"

The word NOORAN here is the same as NOOR. The AN is added at the end due to correct arabic grammer which I will surely not confuse you with here. lol

But, Noor in arabic means "light" or stream of light. When you contrast it with what has already been said in the prior sentence just before it (shamsa DIA'A), it is clear that the moon is merely reflecting what the sun is producing. It is common sense that when you strike a match in a dark room; the "Dia'a" emmitted from the tip of the match will travel around hitting the walls and objects in the room; hence relecting light from these objects that are borrowing the original dia'a from the match.

Those are from the actual text, which reads:

هُوَ الَّذِي جَعَلَ الشَّمْسَ ضِيَاء وَالْقَمَرَ نُورًا

Therefore in light of the actual text, translations are pretty pointless, as they are liable to mistakes and arent actually the Qur'aan - just attempts at "translating". The reason the Qur'aan was sent in the Arabic language is because it is so eloquent with so very many expressions and ways of explaining things in just one word.

Furthermore, like the brother said, Diyaa'a has meanings of radiant, bright, white light, that which is original and not a reflection, but rather belongs to the object itself, while here Noor is in reference to a reflection and not an original source of light.

Again translations do not suffice, in the one I have they say, "He is the one Who gave the sun its brightness and the moon its light..."

In another: "It is He who made the sun a shining light and the moon a derived light and determined for it phases"

What gives priority to the translations you use over these? In fact, the ones being used by you at present are not claimed to be good ones at all. If the best can be said it is the Mohsin Khan one or Sahih International I think: http://www.islambasics.com/view.php?bkID=120

Anyway, I am thrilled that you speak/write Arabic! I am hoping that you can help me. (I find it VERY odd that the GOD of the Universe is limited to one language & one that has so many language difficulties.)

I just wanted to say to this that... if you actually study real Arabic, you'll come to see it's not language difficulties, but rather it's the most perfect language. When you or I write, if we were to write in chat speak and say lyk evrythin we wanted 2 dis way, den it wudnt luk gud at all. People wouldnt take us seriously would they? If you turned in a paper like that, let me say now you might want to keep your hopes low for getting high grades. As we even as Humans in order to express ourselves in the best way must use correct and good language, in the same way, words revealed from Allah are would be even more so in the most concise, beautiful and best language, which cannot be fulfilled in any other language except Arabic. I mean even one word, has so much to it. Say Siraat - translated as path/way

Siraat (صراط) is from saad-ra-ta (ص-ر-ط) and it means path. The root saad-ra-ta, sarata, means to walk quickly. Siraat is that which the act of sarata is done: a path where one walks.

There are many words in the Qur’an that are used for path, such as siraat, sabeel, tareeq…but why is it different?

* Siraat is used for a path that is wide enough for everyone to walk on.

* Siraat is a path that goes straight to the destination.

* Siraat is a path that is smooth, with no ups or downs, bumps or hills, but a path where one can see completely straight.

And each of the other words also have separate meanings.

I do find Sura 5:101-102 disturbing because it indicates that we should not ask questions. "Oh ye who believe! Ask not questions about things which, if made plain to you, may cause you trouble. But if ye ask about things when the Qur'an is being revealed, they will be made plain to you...Some people before you did ask such questions, and on that account lost their faith." But we also know...truth stands out from error!

Again translations do not suffice, there is more to grammar and tafseer (explanation/commentary of the verse) as the Qur'aan came down in parts, and many times were related directly to what was going on at that time. This ayah is in reference to unnecessary questions!

This Hadith was recorded in the Two Sahihs from Sa`id. Al-Bukhari recorded that Ibn `Abbas said, "Some people used to question the Messenger of Allah to mock him. One of them would ask, `Who is my father,' while another would ask, `Where is my camel,' when he lost his camel. Allah sent down this Ayah about them,

[يأَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءَامَنُواْ لاَ تَسْأَلُواْ عَنْ أَشْيَآءَ إِن تُبْدَ لَكُمْ تَسُؤْكُمْ]

(O you who believe! Ask not about things which, if made plain to you, may cause you trouble...).'' Imam Ahmad recorded that `Ali said, "When this Ayah was revealed,

[وَللَّهِ عَلَى النَّاسِ حِجُّ الْبَيْتِ مَنِ اسْتَطَـعَ إِلَيْهِ سَبِيلاً]

(And Hajj to the House is a duty that mankind owes to Allah, those who can bear the journey.)[3:97], they asked, `O Allah's Messenger! Is it required every year' He did not answer them, and they asked again, `Is it every year' He still did not answer them, so they asked, `Is it every year' He said,

«لَا، وَلَوْ قُلْتُ: نَعَمْ لَوَجَبَتْ وَلَوْ وَجَبَتْ لَمَا اسْتَطَعْتُم»

(No, and had I said `yes', it would have become obligated, and had it become obligated, you would not be able to bear it.) Allah sent down,

[يأَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءَامَنُواْ لاَ تَسْأَلُواْ عَنْ أَشْيَآءَ إِن تُبْدَ لَكُمْ تَسُؤْكُمْ]

(O you who believe! Ask not about things which, if made plain to you, may cause you trouble.).'' At-Tirmidhi and Ibn Majah also recorded this Hadith. The apparent wording of this Ayah indicates that we are forbidden to ask about things that if one has knowledge of, he would be sorry he had asked. Consequently, it is better to avoid such questions. rAllah's statement,

[وَإِن تَسْأَلُواْ عَنْهَا حِينَ يُنَزَّلُ الْقُرْءَانُ تُبْدَ لَكُمْ]

(But if you ask about them while the Qur'an is being revealed, they will be made plain to you.) means, if you ask about things that you are prohibited from asking about, then when the revelation about them comes to the Messenger , they will be made plain for you,

[وَذَلِكَ عَلَى اللَّهِ يَسِيرٌ]

(Verily! That is easy for Allah.) Allah said next,

[عَفَا اللَّهُ عَنْهَا]

(Allah has forgiven that,) what you did before this,

[وَاللَّهُ غَفُورٌ حَلِيمٌ]

(and Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Forbearing.) Do not ask about things that do not have a ruling yet, for because of your questions, a difficult ruling may be ordained. A Hadith states,

«أَعْظَمُ الْمُسْلِمِينَ جُرْمًا مَنْ سَأَلَ عَنْ شَيْءٍ لَمْ يُحَرَّمْ، فَحُرِّمَ مِنْ أَجْلِ مَسْأَلَتِه»

(The worst criminal among the Muslims is he who asks if a matter is unlawful (or not), and it becomes unlawful because of his asking about it.) It is recorded in the Sahih that the Messenger of Allah said,

«ذَرُونِي مَا تَرَكْتُكُمْ، فَإِنَّمَا أَهْلَكَ مَنْ كَانَ قَبْلَكُمْ كَثْرَةُ سُؤَالِهِمْ وَاخْتِلَافُهُمْ عَلَى أَنْبِيَائِهِم»

(Leave me as I have left you, those before you were destroyed because of many questions and disputing with their Prophets.) An authentic Hadith also states,

«أَنَّ اللهَ تَعَالَى فَرَضَ فَرَائِضَ فَلَا تُضَيِّعُوهَا، وَحَدَّ حُدُودًا فَلَا تَعْتَدُوهَا، وَحَرَّمَ أَشْيَاءَ فَلَا تَنْتَهِكُوهَا، وَسَكَتَ عَنْ أَشْيَاءَ رَحْمَةً بِكُمْ غَيْرَ نِسْيَانٍ فَلَا تَسْأَلُوا عَنْهَا»

(Allah, the Most Honored, has ordained some obligations, so do not ignore them; has set some limits, so do not trespass them; has prohibited some things, so do not commit them; and has left some things without rulings, out of mercy for you, not that He forgot them, so do not ask about them.) Allah said next,

[قَدْ سَأَلَهَا قَوْمٌ مِّن قَبْلِكُمْ ثُمَّ أَصْبَحُواْ بِهَا كَـفِرِينَ ]

(Before you, a community asked such questions, then on that account they became disbelievers.) meaning, some people before your time asked such questions and they were given answers. They did not believe the answers, so they became disbelievers because of that. This occurred because these rulings were made plain to them, yet they did not benefit at all from that, for they asked about these things not to gain guidance, but only to mock and defy.

The tenses are goofed up (first person...2nd...3rd?) like they are in Sura 6:99.

You cant relate this to English, these changes in tenses are not goofed up, but they're known in Arabic Grammar for the Quran and is called Iltifat, and are also part of the eloquence of the Qur'aan.

To begin with: Iltifât means to 'turn/turn one's face to'. It is an important part of balâgha (Arabic rhetoric) where there is a sudden shift in the pronoun of the speaker or the person spoken about. Muslim literary critics over the centuries have greatly admired this technique. Iltifât has been called by rhetoricians shajâ'at al-'arabiyya as it shows, in their opinion, the daring nature of the Arabic language. If any 'daring' is to be attached to it, it should above all be the daring of the language of the Qur'ân since it employs this feature far more extensively and in more variations than does Arabic poetry. Most of the authors who talk about iltifât use the examples from the Qur'ân. No one seems to quote references in prose other than from the Qur'ân: and indeed a sampling of hadith material found not a single instance.

Much cheer yes, but although I see you do like asking questions, and replying back with even more, not even assuring me you are trying to really look at the religion more than simply criticize it and put it to test...

I will have to ask my brothers and sisters here permission to close this thread, at least temporarily. I dont know for most how much is being gained here, and I fear Ramadaan and it's last few days are quickly approaching and we should put this to rest, at least for now!

wasalam

Obase

Speaks his mind...
Al Salam alaikum brother Ivan.

I am not sure what sites you're visiting or referring to... But, being an arab myself, when I read the revse in Sura 10:5, I find the arabic language reflecting accurately. Regards.

Mashallah BigAk, a very well thought response(I read the original response very keenly). May Allah keep you well and use you to guide those who seek to misguide.

BigAk

I just find their definition of "facts" really, really, really, tenuous. So when the Qur'an shows an error... ie. the moon being a light....the response you gave was that..."You can't take the verses about the moon being the light in a literal sense bro!!" Although I understand what you are saying...I am wondering if you would conclude with the same response if it was the Bhagavad Gita that said the "moon was a light"? Or would it be immediately jumped on as proof that the BG was wrong?.

See... You're NOT comparing apples to apples here.. Somehow we're failing to convey to you that the arabic language means far more than an english man would read as translation. I am not sure what else to tell you short of suggesting that you indulge in learning arabic on your own so you can see what we see using our binoculars. Your choice comes down to; either rely on a native arabic speaking person and accept and move on to the next topic, or learn arabic on your own. I have already expressed interest in helping you and I, along with my other brothers on here have explained the arabic meaning of the verse very clearly. In spite of the clarity, somehow it's not sinking in.

See....I am willing to look at all the evidence for each religion. I am urged to "test all things and cling to that which is true". This is why I will consider all the evidence I can from as many sources as I can. Who wants to believe in something that's a lie? If I/we are wrong on this issue...regardless of my/our sincerity...then my faith is worthless and I am lost so I am never worried about investigating the truth of GOD.

Allah has challenged human kind to find one single discrepancy in His revelation the Quran. We see you trying. If your goal is to find the truth, but you are still UNABLE to move beyond the Sun/Moon verse, then "in your head" maybe you have found your one single discrepancy. So; why keep on going?? However, if your goal is to prove to all of us that Islam is false, you're wasting your time.

So. What is your goal Ivan?

BigAk

I will respond to the rest of your post later as I have more time; God willing. In the mean time, I would love to know about your "honest" intentions here.

BigAk

I do find Sura 5:101-102 disturbing because it indicates that we should not ask questions. "Oh ye who believe! Ask not questions about things which, if made plain to you, may cause you trouble. But if ye ask about things when the Qur'an is being revealed, they will be made plain to you...Some people before you did ask such questions, and on that account lost their faith." But we also know...truth stands out from error!

Ivan.. I have just read sister Samiha's reponse to your inquiry above. I think she has conveyed the point very clearly. From her explanation, you'll find the reason for the verse and why it was sent. It does not mean (Do not ask question and believe blindly); far from it actually. As a matter of fact, Allah has urged you to think and use your head. The Quran is the only holy book on the face of the earth which challenges humanity to disprove it. It carries its own testimony that it is from God. Study it from any angle. Scrutinize it. The author (God) challenges the doubters. Look what Allah told you (Ivan) to do:

"Do they not consider the Quran (with care)? Had it been from other than God, they would surely have found therein much discrepancy"
(Holy Quran 4:82).

But, at the same time, you'll have to be reasonable!!! We can sit here and tell you that milk is white till we all turn blue. At the end, if you still insist that milk is not white, there is no need for all of us to continue.

Thank you sister Samiha for your effort in clarifying the verse for Ivan.

BigAk

Much cheer yes, but although I see you do like asking questions, and replying back with even more, not even assuring me you are trying to really look at the religion more than simply criticize it and put it to test...

I will have to ask my brothers and sisters here permission to close this thread, at least temporarily. I dont know for most how much is being gained here, and I fear Ramadaan and it's last few days are quickly approaching and we should put this to rest, at least for now!

wasalam

:salam2: samiha... Thank you very much for your answers and explanations. I have learned from your post new things I didn't know actually. I appreciate your knowledge and guidance.

Like you, I also have sensed the same feeling about Ivan. After the many tries to explain his questions and various attempts to satisfy his curiosity, it seems to me that he's more interested in the challenge than accepting our guidance. We've answered many question and he's yet to accept any explanation despite our clarity on the matters. I have posted my question to him clearly inquiring about his honest intentions here. He has not answered.

Let's see what he thinks about our inquiry and our latest explanations that you generously provided and then make a decision. If he's truly seeking to learn the truth about Islam with an open mind and heart (So far, I don't feel it's the case), I would hate to turn him down and lose the opportunity for him to embrace Islam.

BigAk

Here is one example...from Qur'an miracles . c o m ....that highlights the miracle of the Qur'an and Blackholes! It gives a BUNCH of information that appears to be very scientifically impressive "Everybody versed in physics knows that one of the most interesting phenomena in the universe is the black hole that comes about in the wake of the death of massive stars whose magnitudes are greater than three times the size of our sun. Having depleted their fuel, these cosmic bodies die, collapsing inward upon themselves. The giant stars that contract possess a great gravitational force. This force is so immense that even light, with its velocity of approximately 300,000 km/sec, cannot escape it; these black holes absorb even the light that passes by. Later on, a great many planets and stars are attracted by this gravitational force. Black holes also constitute “the place where the stars fall.” The existence of black holes is deduced from the fact that they attract as whirlpools the matter of other nearby stars and emit Xrays, swallowing all the lights and stars around. The most interesting studies of Stephen Hawking are on black holes. Stephen Hawking discovered the radiation that came to be called the Hawking Radiation by establishing the fact that a black hole could emit radiation while conforming to the physical laws of energy. then it uses an obscure Quranic reference (Sura 56:75) and deduces another miracle!!

It's nonsense. The Quranic reference..."I swear by the place where the stars fall." That's it. That's all. Yet that proves...PROVES the miracle of the Qur'an. You should see what it says about Respiration and Photosysnthesis! LOL Anyway, that is why I am asking pointed questions..

No... That's not it.. and that's not all.... You have quoted the Quranic reference incorrectly and missed to read the rest of it.... It says:

[I swear] by Heaven and the Tariq! And what will convey to you what the Tariq is? The Star Piercing [the darkness]! (Qur'an, 86:1-3)

The Star piercing the darkness... Do you think the prophet Muhammad (pbu) came up with this from his head??? Even the best imaginitive human mind could not have thought of such a thing 1400 years ago.

Click on the picture below and read the full explanation. I doubt you'll be convinced though (since you couldn't accept the simplest things we explained as of yet)

Attachments

• b_123420.jpg
    b_123420.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 16

BigAk

Ivan.. After reading the extensive explanation about the Tariq above, if it's not the black hole, could you propose a logical explanation for what that verse meant?? What is Allah Almighty referring to in this verse?? Could you enlighten us please?

Salem9022

The Quran was written in Classical Arabic, meanng when the Arabic Language was at its peak.

Yes there are words in the Arabic language which are not orignally arabic, but it doesn't mean they arn't arabic now.

Its like Saying the Word "Alchohol" is not an English word because it came from the Arabic Languege. I can name you atleast 100 Words in English which arn't Originally English but it doesn't mean those words arn't Part of the English Language now.

Languages take words and give words, that is how Languages, all Languages develop over time, to say it doesn't happen is being Dillusional.

And So just because there are words in the Arabic Language which arn't originaly Arabic it doesn't mean those words arn't Arabic now. They are Part of the Arabic Language since this is how Languages Develop over time, and for you to make issue of this tells me how deperate you are,

You still have to Answer my Questions which I've been asking but you have been Avoiding.

Salem9022

Originally Posted by Salem9022
I don't really know why you are so interested in Iraq and War on Terrorism when you as a christian are in involved in paganism in worshipping a Man-God called Jesus.

Maybe you should take the time in order to Understand Tawheed and Monotheism instead of the Pagan Man Worship you are on at this Moment, the creator won't ask you about Iraq or Israel or even WMDs he will ask you who you worshipped, did you worship the creation like a Man-God whom the christians and Hindus and other Non-Muslims worship, or did you worship the creator alone without any partners.

I hope you understand, discussing with you POLOtics is useless because I know the kind of person you are which will always believe in Attacking Muslim countries whether or not they were of any threat.

So lets for-go POlOtics and get back to a religious discussion which this Forum is meant to be.

I have simple questions for Ivan.

How can Christianity be classified as a Monotheistic religion when they worship a Man-God and basically have the same Paganistic Consept of Worship like other Man-God religions like Hindusim with Krishna and Mithraism with Mithra and the worship of the Greek Gods most Notebaly Zues and Apollo,

Please tell us the difference between you worshipping a Man-God in christianity and other Pagan religions of the past like I mentioned, PLease don't bring me any Verses from the bible since we don't beleive in them. Bring us any difference you have in Methodology between these religions.

Also since you believe your God is a Man, does christianity classify these former Man-God worshipping religions as in the same Stage with Christianity in believe of God? Yes or No? or does Christianity even consider these religions to be Paganistic religions seeing they have the same consept of what God is.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Please Respond

BigAk

Ivan...
I see that the mods have removed your posts. Normally, I would not agree with them, but in your case I frankly see their point...

You've come on here with one attack after another. We have bent backwards trying to convey and explain things to you; that with our efforts a two-year-old would have understood. You have not acknowledged nor have shown any appreciation to our information and data that we have presented you. Instead, you hopped from one topic to another without acknowledging the ones we've just explained. This only proves that you are not interested in learning; but rather attacking. All along, You have been placing your palms on your eyes and screaming "I can't see.. I can't see!!!" Well; how can we move on to showing you that the sky is blue before you acknowledge your acceptance of our proof that milk is white??

Interestingly; Allah Almighty has mention about you in His book:

"Of them there are some who (pretend to) listen to thee; but We have thrown veils on their hearts, So they understand it not, and deafness in their ears; if they saw every one of the signs, not they will believe in them; in so much that when they come to thee, they (but) dispute with thee; the Unbelievers say: "These are nothing but tales of the ancients."
(Holy Quran Al An'am:25)

I find this Holy verse to fit you like a glove.

I wish you the best bro... Take care!! :)

BigAk

Ivan,

I have just talked to the Imam of our mosque before today's Friday prayer. I have shown him the claim about the black holes. He examined it and like you he concluded no connection to the verse. But, when I mentioned that it's coming from an islamic website, he said "this doesn't mean anything." He went further to explain; just because you read something on the web does not make it carved in stone even if it's an islamic web site. It doesn't even have to be a web site. Issues arise in the real life. For instance; there is a group of muslims who attribute many of the hadith to Imam Ali and not to the prophet Muhammad (pbu). Does that mean they're right?? Does this mean that Islam is false?? No..

Point is; (and I'm not even sure if you'll at least agree with this) just because some muslim website claimed something you don't agree with; does not invalidate the entire religion of Islam should this group happen to be wrong in their interpretation. Best thing to do is to rely on "credible" tafseer (explanation) by credible sources. Then use you intellect and you'll find the truth very easily conveyed. Yes; you may find the Black Hole issue hard to see and maybe there's no miracle there. You'll have to realize that this theory is drawn from "men" according to what "they" see; and this does not in any way invalidate the entire Quran or Islam.

My advise is read the Quran for yourself and use your own head and don't quickly discredit it because of a certain group's insight on it. Maybe they're wrong!!! Are you going to allow them to mislead you from uncovering the truth??

naeemt

Everything has a creator, and it's creator has a creator. Therefore, logically, that which is at the top of that chain must be without a creator - an Eternal. It cannot be dependent on anything, nor anyone. Since it is the predecessor for everything to come, it controls everything. What is before it is irrelevant, because physically there is no beginning. The way a number can go on forever, this Eternally has existed forever. Think about the number line.. it has no beginning, it has no end. It can continue going back and continue going front.

That, brother, is Allah.