faeries...

Believer1985

:salam2:

I wanted to know your thoughts on these mystical creatures known as faeries. many people claim to have seen them. you hear about them in children's tales and they sound a wonder!

But I wanted to know Islam's take on it. My sister-in-law once told me that they were true, but I dont know if i believe her. Are they part of Jinn? Can someone please confirm?
thank you
:wasalam:

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

There is no mention of faeries in the Quran or Hadith and they are simply children's tales. What I am more concerned about is your home situation. Last you stated that your father was taking your internet and phone away as a desire to control you and force you participate in your marriage. Please let us now how things are going.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

Believer1985

salaam sis,
As of yet, I still have my phone and internet, alhumdulilah.
When something new happens, I'll update you. Just to let you know, I dont think into it that much because then i'll go into depression, i do other things, read, write, research on my areas of interest to keep unhappy matters at bay.

jaffarabduraheem

Not afraid of you.
This thread reminds me that Pan's Labyrinth was an awesome movie.

I used to hang out with a lot of witches and the like and they just love to talk about things like this. If fairies do exist, I would have to imagine they are tricks of the jinni because there really doesn't seem to be any reason for them than to enthrall (there is no obvious place in any ecosystem I mean). If they don't exist then fanciful imaginings are fun and I would suppose that to be true even if they do exist. We have to take care not to wrap any superstitions up with them however and certainly not to ascribe any real magical power to them.

And Allah knows best.

Muhammad_A

Penguin fancier
Why do they have to be "tricks" of the Jinni? They could just as easily be what non Arabs knew the Jinn as.

Surprising as it may seem the word Jinn (or djinn) is not native to most languages.

jaffarabduraheem

Not afraid of you.
Here we go again...

Why do they have to be "tricks" of the Jinni? They could just as easily be what non Arabs knew the Jinn as.

Surprising as it may seem the word Jinn (or djinn) is not native to most languages.

They would be tricks because tricks serve no real purpose but to dazzle. When I say Jinn (which itself is an Arabic word that as far as I know doesn't have a d in it following standard rules of transliteration), I refer to the Islamic definition of Jinn which is not necessarily restricted to Arabs as evidenced by the fact that I am African American.

I am not at all surprised that Jinn isn't native to most languages, as I have said it's an Arabic word. To expand the concept however you may transpose the word Jinn (with no d) for; demon (English); daemon (Greek and various Mediterranean languages); devil (English and Japanese); Coyote (various Native American). The syntax of the word is irrelevant, the point remains the same.

Abel213

:salam2:

Jinn can take forms to trick people into believing nonsense stuff like faeries, elves, your dead grandparents, etc. I honestly think that this is a way that the Jinn are tested, to see if they will be mischevious and harass humans or fear Allah and resist the temptation.