Quit for Allah's sake?

sal12

Assalmu alaykum,
Has anyone had to quit their job for the sake of Allah because they've found that it was a haraam job? If so, then how did you deal with the fact that you might not be able to find another job or earn money any time soon? Did you just put you faith in Allah? Please share your experiences.

Jazakallahu khayran

palestine

Servant of Allah
well i never had a job, but i could've been hired by many jobs but i never applied them because i knew they were haram. although i needed the money to support my relatives back home. anyhow i'm waiting to find a halal job and if i can't then i will let them all go. asalamu alaykum wrwb.

Zaynab123

Subhana Allah!
well i never had a job, but i could've been hired by many jobs but i never applied them because i knew they were haram. although i needed the money to support my relatives back home. anyhow i'm waiting to find a halal job and if i can't then i will let them all go. asalamu alaykum wrwb.

Asalamu alaykuma salam

oh me too, i'm having the same problem. but i had a job over the summer but i quited after i found out it wasn't too halal for me. i didn't bother to look for more because they aren't hala. so maybe insha Allah we'll find what we are looking for. insha Allah someday Allah subhana wata'ala will reward us for our patience

huda2

:salam2:

Yes, I did quit a job for the sake of allah, It was a few yrs back I started working a bank. I was about to go to college, so it was a big deal for making a decent money in that age.Then my mom was going to hajj in that year and I wanted to give her some money but my sister said hey that is haraam money you can't give to mom, so I called my local sheikh and he told me its haraam money and working a bank is haraam also then the next day I told my boss that I quit. Honestly It didnt bother me for losing the job, but it did bother me that I worked haraam place. It wasn't easy to find a job and I was months away for going to college and I really needed the money but I put my trust in allah and alhamdulilaah every thing went well. Actually when you quit some thing for the sake of allah, allah always give to you some thing better than what you had.

Yusuf1990

al-Inglezi
Wa'laikum salaam,

Yeah I quit my job, girlfriend and college course for Allah. And guess what?... The life I lead now is amazing, I wouldnt change it for anything! :D:D:D alhamdulillah!

palestine

Servant of Allah
Wa'laikum salaam,

Yeah I quit my job, girlfriend and college course for Allah. And guess what?... The life I lead now is amazing, I wouldnt change it for anything! :D:D:D alhamdulillah!

what u did really is amazing! besides you have a really beautiful name yusuf abdul aziz

ohhockleng

Wa'laikum salaam,

Assalamualaikum, awesome!!!! I wish I could have done that but I just can't but I'll never stop praying to Allah :)

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman

it's definitely a very tough decision. i really wish that muslims didn't have to be faced with such difficult situations. i pray that ALLAH SWT makes it easy for all muslims that are having a hard time with issues such as these.

i do have a suggestion, i'm not sure if it will make your situation become halal per se, but maybe you should mention this to your trusted islamic scholar. perhaps, you can tell your employer that you have no problem with the pumping of gas and the sale of non haram merchandise, but if they can have someone else that has no no objections to ringing up the haram items such as liquor and lottery tickets. it may work.

a few years ago a muslim brother that i worked with was a pharmacist and he felt reservations about selling birth control pills and other contraceptives and what he would do was have someone else ring them up for him. he would do it and the company let him do it. which was good because when it comes to medicine and pharmacy it's a very controversial subject, because the patients feel that they shouldnt be made to suffer because of the pharmacist's or doctor's religious beliefs. the muslims and very often devout catholic doctors and pharmacists feel that it is unfair to force them to take part in things that are objectionable to their religious beliefs and shouldn't be forced to enter another profession.
:wasalam:

palestine

Servant of Allah

it's definitely a very tough decision. i really wish that muslims didn't have to be faced with such difficult situations. i pray that ALLAH SWT makes it easy for all muslims that are having a hard time with issues such as these.

i do have a suggestion, i'm not sure if it will make your situation become halal per se, but maybe you should mention this to your trusted islamic scholar. perhaps, you can tell your employer that you have no problem with the pumping of gas and the sale of non haram merchandise, but if they can have someone else that has no no objections to ringing up the haram items such as liquor and lottery tickets. it may work.

a few years ago a muslim brother that i worked with was a pharmacist and he felt reservations about selling birth control pills and other contraceptives and what he would do was have someone else ring them up for him. he would do it and the company let him do it. which was good because when it comes to medicine and pharmacy it's a very controversial subject, because the patients feel that they shouldnt be made to suffer because of the pharmacist's or doctor's religious beliefs. the muslims and very often devout catholic doctors and pharmacists feel that it is unfair to force them to take part in things that are objectionable to their religious beliefs and shouldn't be forced to enter another profession.

akhi i wish to correct you for a moment. even if someone else without objecting sells the liquor instead of our brother it is still haram. you may wonder why. reason being: the pay check will be from all the things selled, which includes the liquor and so on. for example: i can't work in walmart in my area because they sell cigarettes and liquor. the profits are all put together in the end and they hand you your check from that bundle of mixed halal and haram. if you wish to have a fatwa posted i will do so inshaAllah in a few moments. if the place sells anything haram whether small or little it's better to leave that place for good. asalamu alaykum wrwb.

palestine

Servant of Allah
Should he work in a grocery store that sells lottery tickets or in a place that sells alcohol and pork?!
I live in America. I have been looking for a halal work for two months. But the Arabs who live in the same city are selling either wine or pork. I cannot move to another city as my wife is a university student here. Is working in a restaurant that sells pork haram in my case? I found a job in another city about 20 miles far in a shop that sells lottery tickets. But thus I will have to return to my home after midnight, leaving my wife and daughter alone. Also in the winter here the temperature can be under zero and it becomes foggy and it snows everywhere, which makes it dangerous to drive. So is working in a shop that sells lottery tickets haram? What is better to do in my case? To work in the city where I live in a grocery that sells pork, or to work in the other city in a shop that sells lottery tickets?.

Praise be to Allaah.

I do not think that you want us to decide for you between two serious major sins, the sin of gambling in the lottery which Allaah has forbidden in verses that will be recited until the Day of Judgement, in which He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Intoxicants (all kinds of alcoholic drinks), and gambling, and Al‑Ansaab (stone altars for sacrifices to idols etc) and Al‑Azlaam (arrows for seeking luck or decision) are an abomination of Shaytaan’s (Satan’s) handiwork. So avoid (strictly all) that (abomination) in order that you may be successful

Shaytaan (Satan) wants only to excite enmity and hatred between you with intoxicants (alcoholic drinks) and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allaah and from As‑Salaah (the prayer). So, will you not then abstain?”

[al-Maa’idah 5:90-91],

and the sin of selling pork and alcohol which Allaah has also forbidden.

Is this what the Muslim accepts, to be given the choice between major sins? Is this the life that he is striving to attain and enjoy?

I do not think, as you are a Muslim who is proud of his Islam and strong in faith, that you will be happy to sell something so evil that has corrupted the world and filled it with oppression, evil and corruption. Alcohol is the mother of all evils, and gambling is consuming people’s wealth unlawfully, and pork has been definitively forbidden by Allaah. In fact the prohibition of these things is one of the most prominent symbols of Islam, so the Muslim should not stoop to such a level that he sells things that will anger the Lord, may He be glorified and exalted.

Yes, it is not permissible under any circumstances whatsoever for a Muslim to sell evil things to people, even to non-Muslims, because by doing that he is participating in the spread of sin and cooperating in disobedience to Allaah and going against His commands.

On our website there are many fatwas which discuss this issue and affirm that it is haraam for a Muslim to participate in selling haraam things, even to non-Muslims. See the answers to questions no. 1830 and 40651.

You can make an agreement – if you have no choice but to remain in that country – with the owner of the grocery store that you will not sell lottery tickets, and you will only sell permissible things in the store.

What is this situation in which you have ended up, that you are thinking of doing haraam jobs? The situation of many Muslims in that land is no more than the natural result of settling among the kuffaar and in a kaafir land, far from the Muslim world, because the kaafir society is not regulated by guidelines and no attention is paid to the commands and prohibitions of Allaah, whereas Muslim societies adhere to a large extent – praise be to Allaah – to the limits set by Allaah. Hence we advise you to study the fatwas published on our website about the rulings on settling in kaafir countries. Please see the answer to questions no. 13363 and 27211.

Remember that fearing Allaah is the best thing that a man can do in this world and the Hereafter. In this world it will bring provision to a person as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And if the people of the towns had believed and had the Taqwa (piety), certainly, We should have opened for them blessings from the heaven and the earth, but they belied (the Messengers). So We took them (with punishment) for what they used to earn (polytheism and crimes)”

[al-A’raaf 7:96]

“And whosoever fears Allaah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a way for him to get out (from every difficulty).

3. And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine. And whosoever puts his trust in Allaah, then He will suffice him. Verily, Allaah will accomplish his purpose. Indeed Allaah has set a measure for all things”

[al-Talaaq 65:2-3]

And in the Hereafter it will be expiation for sin, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“and whosoever fears Allaah and keeps his duty to Him, He will expiate from him his sins, and will enlarge his reward”

[al-Talaaq 65:5].

The days of this world are limited and this life will soon end. No man knows whether the angels will take his soul today or tomorrow, so how about the one whose soul is taken whilst he is working to sell haraam things, and he does not listen to advice or pay attention to any reminder?

We think that you are one of those who fear the wrath and punishment of Allaah, and you are not happy with your situation. Patience is the key to relief, so strive to look for good, halaal work, and review the matter of your staying in that country. We ask Allaah to guide you to what is true and good.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

palestine

Servant of Allah
Selling haraam and doubtful things
Assalamu alikum. I understand that selling haram things are probihibited. If I have a grocery store and I sell soaps, toothpastes etc that contain haram or doubtful ingredients, shall I commit sin?
Thanks.

Praise be to Allaah.

It is not permissible to sell them because when Allaah forbids a thing He also forbids its price. Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with them both) said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘Allaah has cursed the Jews because fat was forbidden to them, but they sold it and took its price. When Allaah forbids something he also forbids its price.’” (Reported by Imaam Ahmad, 2546).

With regard to doubtful things, it is better not to sell them, so as to be free of any blame, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said. Al-Nu’maan ibn Basheer said: “I heard him saying, ‘I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “What is permitted is clear and what is prohibited is clear, and between them are doubtful things which many people do not know about. Whoever avoids doubtful things will be on the safe side with regard to his religion and his honour, but whoever falls into doubtful things will fall into haraam things.”’” (Reported by Muslim, 2996). And Allaah is the Source of Strength

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
Wa'laikum salaam,

what you did definitely deserves respect. sometimes we are put in situations that we will have to give up certain things and people in order to get ahead. i mean, you can be a muslim that has been working in a liquor store, you attended jummah and heard a powerful khutbah about the prohibition against alcohol. that khutbah touched you and realized that you realized that you need to leave that job. you may have a hard time finding another job, but your heart feels at peace with ALLAH SWT, which is what matters most.

you could've been a non-muslim that recently embraced islam, but you have a girlfriend and have been committing zinaa with her for some time. but you realize that she isn't going to embrace islam and she also isn't going to embrace guarding her chastity or get married. you know that you need to please ALLAH SWT and make the decision to let her go. because you can't let someone steal your jannah.

my point is that, there is a saying within islam, that whosoever leaves something for the sake of ALLAH SWT, ALLAH SWT will replace that thing or things with something better, insha'ALLAH.

p.s. when i used " you " i don't mean you. i mean any person facing that situation.

palestine

Servant of Allah
He is afraid that he will not find a job; can he work in a riba-based bank?
I work as a teacher at different places but my position is not permanent.So when the semesters are off then neither I get any salary nor I am sure about my place to teach in the next semester.Even now I will be jobless once my semester is off.Technically I consider myself jobless.I am getting an offer from a bank.Can I join them untill I get a proper job to take care of myself and family.

Praise be to Allaah.

Working in banks that deal with riba is haraam, because of the hadeeth of Jaabir (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the one who consumes riba and the one who pays it, the one who writes it down and the two who witness it, and he said: they are all the same. Narrated by Muslim (2995).

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

This clearly shows that it is haraam to write down the contract between two who are engaging in riba, and to bear witness to it, and that it is haraam to assist in falsehood. End quote.

The one who works in a riba-based bank will inevitably be involved in one of these scenarios that were mentioned by al-Nawawi; he will either write down or record riba, or witness it, or help those who are dealing in riba in their falsehood.

You have to fear Allaah and look for permissible work; Allaah will never forsake you if you fear Him and put your trust in Him. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And whosoever fears Allaah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a way for him to get out (from every difficulty).

3. And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine”

[al-Talaaq 65:2-3]

If you are faced with hardship, then be patient, and be certain that relief will come, for hardship is followed by relief, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, along with every hardship is relief,

6. Verily, along with every hardship is relief”

[al-Sharh 94:5-6]

But if you reach a state of necessity and you fear that you may die if you do not consume something haraam, in this case Allaah has permitted you to consume enough haraam to ward off harm from yourself. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“He has explained to you in detail what is forbidden to you, except under compulsion of necessity”

[al-A’naam 6:119].

This situation is in fact unlikely to arise, because you will never be without permissible work from which you can earn enough to cover the necessities. We ask Allaah to grant you sufficient by means of that which He has permitted so that you will have no need of that which He has forbidden.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

nori suja'i

There are lots of miracles in all the soorah in AlQur'an including Soorah Al-Waqi'ah, as a muslim we must not forget to recite Al Qur'an every now and then for Allah sake with humble heart - insyaAllah our rezki will not be blocked.
i used to wrk for yrs last time and let the maid looked after our children yet i envy to the fulltime hsewife as they have more time to spent at home, while i'm wrking but my financial always tight. i thought if i resign i've no income at all for sure - in teory yes but in reality no as Allah Is The Greatest Suplier, provided we do things that Allah & His Rasool liked. insyaAllah everything runs smoothly.

Wiseguy74

Assalam O Alaikum,

Since when Muslims start believing our employer as our provider?

It is Allah(swt) who is Ar Raziq(the provider). Having faith is a condition. If we have faith on Allah(swt) He will provide us from sources that we cant even imagine.

Wassalam