Hold Your Bottle High!

Abu Abdillah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Assalamu'Alaykum

I'm going to tackle a delicate issue today, but one that needs to be addressed. For Muslims, this post is a message of solidarity, and of coming out and being proud.

For others, it is a Public Information Service. Or possibly the solving of a mystery. It is about the empty bottle that stands in the cloakroom at work, or which your Muslim co-worker inexplicably takes with her to the cloakroom. He/She goes in with it, He/She comes out with it. Or may just dump the cup in the bin.

Or you might be like someone, with a plastic glass, hidden furtively and filled up quickly in the sink and then whisked into the cubicle.

Or somebody with their handful of water-soaked toilet paper, a make-shift wet-wipe for desperate times.

"What will they think if they see me filling up the container with water in the cloakrooms,"

I wonder with dread. I usually wait till there is no-one else about before I fill up.

I often psyche myself up in the cubicle with my glass of water trying to overcome my self-inflicted neurosis by asking, What's the point of all the signs in cloakrooms that tell you to wash your hands, if your bits are unwashed.

I tell myself?

Does it get smelly?

I try to psycho-analyse my own embarrassment. It's not me that should be embarrassed with my glass of water, it's all of those who don't have water and don't wash themselves that should be feeling shifty. (then why am I the one hiding my bottle?) Eugh!

If you are a Muslim working in an office, sharing the same issues, then it's time to come out and be proud.

In a Hadith reported by Imam Muslim (also reported by Abu Dawood, Al-Tirmizi, Al-Nasai and Ibn Majah) at the time of the Prophet :saw:, one of the polytheists mockingly said to his companion Salman al-Farsi :saw:, “Your prophet has taught you everything, even the manners of going to the toilet.” Salman Radiallaho Anho answered, “Yes, the Prophet :saw: forbade us from facing the Qibla when urinating or relieving oneself”. Salman :saw: continued, “The Prophet :saw: asked us not to use the right hand when cleaning ourselves and to use at least three stones for cleaning”.

The point being this companion was not ashamed of being asked this question, even though the mushrikeen wanted to embarrass him and make the companion feel low. But he replied with great enthusiasm and confidence.

Yes! the Messenger of Allah has taught us how to go to the bathroom. Maybe this is a great dawah opener and invite someone to islam. A icebreaker wow Muslims wash, Wow they Clean themselves x5 aday before they pray they have to be clean...

So remember:

Yes, we use the water to wash!

We like to be clean!

The bottle and the glass are our symbols of progress and hygiene.

Whether they remain in the cloakroom or you take them in with you.

Hold them high!

Hold them with Pride!

WE ARE THE PEOPLE WHO WASH!!

Attachments

• Water Wash Bottle.jpg
    Water Wash Bottle.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 85
  • washNgo.jpg
    washNgo.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 72

al-muslimah

Mashallah!! Jazaka-Allahu-khayran for puting up this issue!! May Allah make us more prouder muslims. ameen

Rosheen

Sister in Islam
LOL!!!!

I do get funny looks for taking my cup from the vending machine in to the loo....i bet they think i drink on the toilet! In Ramadhan i worry that people will think i am having a sly drink.....:shymuslima1:

You know whats funnier....getting caught with your foot under the tap when making wudu.....its sooo embarrasing. I worry that people will think i am dirty...not likely...my feet get washed 6 times, 5 for prayer and 1 in my daily wash!

amirah80

*Fear Allah*
:salam2:

Jazak Allah khair Akhi.

Rosheen funny you should mention putting your feet in the sink for wudoo. My husband was telling me a story were someone was on the airplane and they left the bathroom door open while performing wudoo. (due to the limited space)The stewardess walked pass and said sir you cannot put your feet in the sink it is not sanitary. So, he asked the woman how many times have you wash your face in this sink and she said twice a day. Then he told her I wash my feet 5 times a day so my feet are cleaner then your face. lol :biggrin:I thought that was very funny.

hassana elkoussi

AlHamdulillah we don't face this problem in our countries. As for u, i think it's part of your jihad in these non moslem countries.Anyway, never feel embarrassed about this. You're the cleaner and the closer to Allah ( And don't feel weak and don't feel sad, since you are higher - if you are believers ) , Ali 'Emran

And thanks, sisters Amira & Rosheen, for your funny posts.:lol:

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
assalamu alaykum,

No, Muslims are the cleanest of people ( or at least Islam tells Muslims to be!) . It is a sin to be unhygenic and many of our actions such as prayer and ablution can be invalid if we are not in clean state.

there is no shame in asking Islamic Questions and obtaining knowledge.

MashaAllah, in that hadith, the Sahaba, Salman al Farsi (radhiyallahu anhu), gave best reply mashaAllah, and was not ashamed at all. The Mushrikeen had thought they would embarrass him, instead, the Sahaba spoke direct and truthfully without a hint of embarassment. For we Muslims are the cleanest and it is these people who need to learn (and have learnt) from us. It is Allah the most High and the Prophet :saw: who have taught us these most perfect of manners and way of life.

Here is an important Hadith to do with cleanliness:

the hadeeth of ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) who said: The Messenger of Allaah :)saw:) said: “Ten (actions) are part of the fitrah [natural inclinations of man]: trimming the moustache, letting the beard grow, using the siwaak (tooth-stick), rinsing the nose with water, clipping the nails, washing the finger joints, plucking the armpit hairs, shaving the pubes and washing oneself with water after relieving oneself.”

Zakariyya said: Mus’ab said: And I forgot the tenth but it may have been rinsing the mouth with water.
Narrated by Muslim, 261

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
Assalamualaikum

:bismillah1:

To avoid getting caught with my foot in the sink, and obvioulsy the embarassment, I use the disabled toilets to make Wudhu. They have many advantages as they are much bigger and most importantly there is privacy, so the foot can go into the sink!

But recently at university, complaints have been made to the Muslim Student Association and thus we were advised not to use the toilets here and there. We were told to use the Musallah area. But hey they dont have a place for Istinja!!

Such a cute title, hold your bottle up high! Thats such a funny way to put it. So cute! May you be rewarded for sharing your thoughts with us, Aameen.

Assalamualaikum

mali1

Guys,

In the last Jumma (friday prayers), I heard the priest say that it was not neccesary to wash your feet while doing wudu at public places. He said that one can just rub over the water over the feet (just like the head/hair) and it is okay. Please clarify.

Thanks

jaffarabduraheem

Not afraid of you.
Guys,

In the last Jumma (friday prayers), I heard the priest say that it was not neccesary to wash your feet while doing wudu at public places. He said that one can just rub over the water over the feet (just like the head/hair) and it is okay. Please clarify.

Thanks

What you refer to is mas(h) and from what I gather it is permissible if you put you had wudu when you put your socks on. You may wipe once over the top of your socks or shoes with wet hands. Remember that you must actually wash your feet at least once each day. Some will say that this isn't permissible but there is clear sahih hadith to suggest otherwise.

And Allah knows best.

Also this thread is hilarious and quite necessary at the same time. Jazakum Allah khayrun Al Shabab! That's awesome!

Yusuf1990

al-Inglezi
As-salaamu'alaikum,

Priest?? Imam I'm sure you mean?
To clarify that is not a valid statement, you can wipe over your feet if you have leather socks on which come up above the ankles and have been put on after making wudu, then they can be wiped over for 24 hours (3 days if travelling).
Other socks will not do because water can seep through hence they do not keep your feet clean and also they are held up by elastic, this is not allowed.

Salaam.

hassana elkoussi

Assalamualaikum

:bismillah1:

To avoid getting caught with my foot in the sink, and obvioulsy the embarassment, I use the disabled toilets to make Wudhu. They have many advantages as they are much bigger and most importantly there is privacy, so the foot can go into the sink!

But recently at university, complaints have been made to the Muslim Student Association and thus we were advised not to use the toilets here and there. We were told to use the Musallah area. But hey they dont have a place for Istinja!!

Such a cute title, hold your bottle up high! Thats such a funny way to put it. So cute! May you be rewarded for sharing your thoughts with us, Aameen.

Assalamualaikum

:salam2: brother mesbah, it's a pity that you guys have to go through all this hardship just to perform wudu, i'm sure inshaAllah you get tons of reward for this, as the hadith says you get reward as much as the hardship faced. But i don't think it's allowed to perform wudu in a toilet , as it's a place of najasa(dirt,filth ). I even read once in one of the books of fiqh that even if the toilet is brand new & hasn't ever been used it's makrooh ( not recommended) to use it in wudu , as it was originally designed for najasah. See how clean our deen is! But i think that as long as it;s a common problem, why don't u all seek the fatwa of a reliable sheikh, maybe the scholars could come up with a fatwa to make things easier for you. By the way, i also heard that mas(h) - wiping - the socks can do as long as u wear them after wudu.(ONLY for a certain period of time)
As for me, your site has definitely opened up my eyes to blessings that we've taken for granted & never even thought of ( this issue, being Arabic-speakers,not being subject to public ridicule - we do get some fm other muslims though - not worrying about pork problems & others) ALHAMDULILLAH
:salah::salah::salah:

q8penpals

Assalam aliekum

I think by stating that the poster used the disabled "toilets", the poster was referring to the room, not the actual toilet itself. Here in Kuwait, due to the English translation of the phrase, most of my students wash for prayer "in the toilet" - they mean they wash in the room that the toilet is in, of course.

If I am wrong, please correct me.

Regarding washing over socks or such....

In the winter, sometimes a person is wearing many layers of clothing to keep warm (or for instance, under my headscarf I wear like a ski-mask to keep warm) - if we are out-and-about (or even in the house with no heater), if we have washed completely, can we just wipe over the top, rather than practically undressing? When I pray at work, I wipe just over the top, because the sinks are slightly outside the bathrooms and are not enclosed - so I would have to remove my scarf in front of whomever to wipe over my hair directly.

If someone can post reasons why (or why not) a person can "wipe-over" rather than directly wiping, please do!

LAna

Abu.Amirah

LOL :lol:

I think this is a funny post but its good also.
I remember once I join a new company and was shifted to another region for training. The whole building had just one muslim lady and I was the second one. so you kno their toilets no water just tissue and water is outside the toilets just for washing hands :p So as a muslim you dont hav to be ashame or shy, I didnt find any bucket nor a bottle to fill it with water to clean myself so what i did was i started pulling the tissue rolls like as if i was surfing pulling the ropes lol. and i soak them with water around maybe 6 bunches or more. Well yea people were suprised to see me doing this but i didnt even care i wanted to be clean :D
Lets be proud of ourselves coz we glitter wen it comes to cleanliness!!

:wasalam:

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
As-salaamu'alaikum,

Priest?? Imam I'm sure you mean?
To clarify that is not a valid statement, you can wipe over your feet if you have leather socks on which come up above the ankles and have been put on after making wudu, then they can be wiped over for 24 hours (3 days if travelling).
Other socks will not do because water can seep through hence they do not keep your feet clean and also they are held up by elastic, this is not allowed.

Salaam.

:wasalam:

Akhi, person can wipe over shoes, socks. Whether the socks are made from Wool or leather, does not matter. Some Muqalidoon Sufiyyah and the Shia rafidah have problems with issues of Massah.

However, the authentic Sunnah and way of Salaf-Salih makes things clear and easy.

------------------------------
What is nature of socks during wipening.? Can a person wipe on any socks or it must be leather. Give the answer in light of Quran and Hadith?

Praise be to Allaah.
It was narrated that al-Mugheerah ibn Shu’bah said: “The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did wudoo’ and wiped over his socks and shoes.” (Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 92; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Sunan al-Tirmidhi, no. 86)

The author of al-Qaamoos said: jawrab (socks) means something that is wrapped around the feet.

Abu Bakr ibn al-‘Arabi said: jawrab means a thin cover for the feet made of wool, worn to keep the feet warm.

It was narrated that Yahyaa al-Bakka’ said: I heard Ibn ‘Umar saying, “Wiping over the socks (jawrabayn) is like wiping over the leather slippers (khuffayn).”​
Al-Musannaf by Ibn Abi Shaybah, 1/173

Ibn Hazm said: wiping over anything that is worn on the feet – of things that are permitted to be worn and which come up above the ankles – is Sunnah, whether they are slippers (khuffayn) made of leather or felt or wood, or socks made of linen, wool, cotton, camel hair or goat hair, whether leather is worn over them or not, or whether they are overshoes or slippers worn over slippers or socks worn over socks.​
Al-Muhalla, 1/321

Some scholars differed as to whether it is permissible to wipe over the slippers (khuffaayn). The correct view as indicated by the evidence is that it is permissible to do that, as stated above.​
And Allaah knows best.

IslamQA

Believer

For others, it is a Public Information Service. Or possibly the solving of a mystery. It is about the empty bottle that stands in the cloakroom at work, or which your Muslim co-worker inexplicably takes with her to the cloakroom. She goes in with it, she comes out with it. Or may just dump the cup in the bin.

haha this is a funny post, yet a serious issue.

"What will they think if they see me filling up the container with water in the cloakrooms,"
I wonder with dread. I usually wait till there is no-one else about before I fill up.

To be honest, I don’t really care what people think when I walk in with a bottle of water into the bathroom – I’d rather be clean and embarrassed in front of them rather than Allah on the Day of Judgment.
Not just the hygiene perspective, but just imagine how bad the "non-washers" (hahaha sorry I couldn’t find an appropriate word for it) would reek *tti needs a puking smiley*

No, Muslims are the cleanest of people ( or at least Islam tells Muslims to be!) . It is a sin to be unhygenic and many of our actions such as prayer and ablution can be invalid if we are not in clean state.

I absolutely agree with you Bro! It reminds me of stories I’ve heard from non-Muslims about cleanliness… shocking I tell you!