Myths, Tales or Truth

arnold

ASSALAMU ALIKUM

My Dear Muslim bros and sis,

I hear often hear some myths in Islam which am not sure is true or tales !
Like i heard people saying :

1) v cannot place slippers at the entrance of the door step...
2)Males should not cut hair on Saturday...
3)Must not sweep floor after before Magrib and before jumma prayers...
4)One should not cut finger nails before Magrib...

Do these have any base or have u guys heard and or following them ??

Jakallah

palestine

Servant of Allah
i have never ever heard of the above mentioned. do not believe anything that is not from the quran and sunnah. i will look for a fatwa inshaAllah and get back to you. asalamu alaykum wrwb

samsam005

asalamaa laykum actually i never hear that b4 and idon think so it is true but you can make sure to ask the omaah

gr8badhshah

Shirk!!

Asslamu Alikum Arnold,

This is Badhshah from India. Me too I have not heard at my home.

But, I once heard that some Muslims in India, who still have the Hindu culture mixed in them have this notions that your actions should be done based on certain time or day, due to auspiciousness. This is Shirk!

Jazak Allah,
Badhshah

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.
Asslamu Alikum Arnold,

But, I once heard that some Muslims in India, who still have the Hindu culture mixed in them have this notions that your actions should be done based on certain time or day, due to auspiciousness. This is Shirk!

Jazak Allah,
Badhshah

:salam2: brother...

Shirk (Arabic: شرك‎) refers to worshipping other than Allah, associating partners with him, giving HIS characteristics to other than him, or not believing in his characteristics.

There are two types of Shirk. That is Major Shirk and Minor Shirk. I am sure this is not a major Shirk. So brother if its a minor Shirk, can you please tell us why?

Thank you so much.

wassalam

-brother IbnAdam-

cmelbouzaidi

:salam2: i have heard (but did not pay much attention to) that there are certain days when one should not cut fingernails and toenails? also, i have heard it is best not to leave the house between asr and maghreb? i am a revert and mostly i put these things down to superstition or culture and not religion but you raise an interesting topic. there are other things, like if a woman is pregnant and craves something to eat and doesn't eat it that it may present a birthmark on the baby but i have since learned that this is believed in hispanic culture too so it cannot come from islam! is there someone who can separate truth from error on these issues on the forum.
Jazak Allahu Khair.
:wasalam:

gr8badhshah

Why it is a shirk?

Assalamu Alaikum,

Let us take the rights of Allah, when he is with us we are happy. We will definitely feel guilty, uncomfortable or unhappy when he is not with us. That is, by this we say that all trust is put upon Allah that only Allah has control of any happening.

As per the post, lets take now, I want to trim my hairs, but I cant do it on Saturday (scientifically it is absurd!). So, I am comfortable on any other day to trim my hair. If I did trim my hair on Saturday, because of the society surrounding me, the knowledge imposed make me feel uncomfortable of what I did, which I am not supposed to do. That is I feel unhappy/uncomfortable if I did on a particular time. That is indirectly you are having all your faith and all your trust in TIME/DAY, replacing Allah.

This applies to things like feeling happy/uplifted with new clothes, happy only if you are with an ipod, etc...

Note: But acts which have sensible/medical reasons can be followed, as that is followed to maintain our body gifted by Allah, indirectly you do it to lease Allah. Example, the first point by Arnold, it makes sense in places like Asia, where you rarely find clean roads, thereby you cant take that slipper inside your home, unless you want to get hit by your mom for cleaning it :)

So the Hispanic culture if it has a confirmed medical reason, then the point given by cmelbouzaidi can also be followed in life. Good principles/habits are like updates for your software, but sometimes patches too are required to fix any hole like shirk or bidah.

Allahu Alam (God knows better!)

Jazak Allah,
Badhshah

Please one can have a look at this, a beautiful lecture by Abdur Raheem Green, he makes us understand how we ignore shirks which are seen in common.
http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=tyoVRBXSxJM

boymuh

Hajj please..
Asslamu Alikum Arnold,

Jazak Allah,
Badhshah

assalaamu'alaikum,

it's the same/similiar here in indonesia too, back to our ancestors' cultures, believes & religions (animism, hinduism, etc.).

here in indonesia, the people (muslim & other religion as well), with their lack of knowledge, usually connect those act as mentioned above with the future, rizki/fortune, death, etc. for example, if you cut your nails in the night, then your parents will die soon, or if you eat at the entrance of the door step, you will not get married any soon. funny & unlogical isn't? and that's what make those believes are syirik/shirk.

wallahu'alam bishowab.
boymuh

nizar83

aselemu aleikum

im a 100% sure that all of the above is nonsens..just erase it my brother and make place for some true facts inshallah

Tru3m0sl3m

Brother in ISLAM
:salam2: i have heard (but did not pay much attention to) that there are certain days when one should not cut fingernails and toenails? also, i have heard it is best not to leave the house between asr and maghreb? i am a revert and mostly i put these things down to superstition or culture and not religion but you raise an interesting topic. there are other things, like if a woman is pregnant and craves something to eat and doesn't eat it that it may present a birthmark on the baby but i have since learned that this is believed in hispanic culture too so it cannot come from islam! is there someone who can separate truth from error on these issues on the forum.
Jazak Allahu Khair.
:wasalam:

Assalamoalaikum i don't know about other things.. But i've read the hadith (i'll try to quote the source later) where the childrens are told not to go out after magreb as shaitaan hunt for prey at that time the most.
:salam2:

Tru3m0sl3m

Brother in ISLAM
assalaamu'alaikum,

it's the same/similiar here in indonesia too, back to our ancestors' cultures, believes & religions (animism, hinduism, etc.).

here in indonesia, the people (muslim & other religion as well), with their lack of knowledge, usually connect those act as mentioned above with the future, rizki/fortune, death, etc. for example, if you cut your nails in the night, then your parents will die soon, or if you eat at the entrance of the door step, you will not get married any soon. funny & unlogical isn't? and that's what make those believes are syirik/shirk.

wallahu'alam bishowab.
boymuh

LOL same here.. whenever i hear these kinds of stuff i ask them (mostly my relatives)
to give me evidence on that. they are like ... "you can't go out looking everything in hadeeth".. these "new" people are coming and destroying our deen........... our ancestors were waliallah... Subhanallah.
anyways nice topic. Any ideas how to debate with the ahlul-bidaah??

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.
Assalamoalaikum i don't know about other things.. But i've read the hadith (i'll try to quote the source later) where the childrens are told not to go out after magreb as shaitaan hunt for prey at that time the most.
:salam2: Yes thats true. But I also don't know the exact hadith.

wassalam

-brother IbnAdam-

three17ent

That is true. IF it has no basis in Quran and Sunnah then reject it and stay away from it. When I hear different things that people say it is part of Islam one of the first things I do is ask where it is from, if it is from ahadith I ask from which narration and so on..

No doubt there is a lot of superstitions people are mixed up in and say it is part of religion, I myself was somewhat raised from background where people say and do weird things and think it is part of religion. But Alhamdulilah things are getting better nowadays...

But keep your heart, brain and eyes open for the truth and Insha allah Allah 'azzawajal will guide you!