Islamophobia! THER IS NO SUCH THING

elmorro

:salam2:

This is the link where I copied this article from:
http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...1_N30158201_RTRUKOC_0_US-USA-MUSLIMS-FEAR.xml

In U.S., fear and distrust of Muslims runs deep

By Bernd Debusmann, Special Correspondent

WASHINGTON (Reuters)- When radio host Jerry Klein suggested that all Muslims in the United States should be identified with a crescent-shape tattoo or a distinctive arm band, the phone lines jammed instantly.

The first caller to the station in Washington said that Klein must be "off his rocker." The second congratulated him and added: "Not only do you tattoo them in the middle of their forehead but you ship them out of this country ... they are here to kill us."

Another said that tattoos, armbands and other identifying markers such as crescent marks on driver's licenses, passports and birth certificates did not go far enough. "What good is identifying them?" he asked. "You have to set up encampments like during World War Two with the Japanese and Germans."

At the end of the one-hour show, rich with arguments on why visual identification of "the threat in our midst" would alleviate the public's fears, Klein revealed that he had staged a hoax. It drew out reactions that are not uncommon in post-9/11 America.

"I can't believe any of you are sick enough to have agreed for one second with anything I said," he told his audience on the AM station 630 WMAL (http://www.wmal.com/), which covers Washington, Northern Virginia and Maryland

"For me to suggest to tattoo marks on people's bodies, have them wear armbands, put a crescent moon on their driver's license on their passport or birth certificate is disgusting. It's beyond disgusting.

"Because basically what you just did was show me how the German people allowed what happened to the Jews to happen ... We need to separate them, we need to tattoo their arms, we need to make them wear the yellow Star of David, we need to put them in concentration camps, we basically just need to kill them all because they are dangerous."

The show aired on November 26, the Sunday after the Thanksgiving holiday, and Klein said in an interview afterwards he had been surprised by the response.

"The switchboard went from empty to totally jammed within minutes," said Klein. "There were plenty of callers angry with me, but there were plenty who agreed."

POLLS SHOW WIDESPREAD ANTI-MUSLIM SENTIMENT

Those in agreement are not a fringe minority: A Gallup poll this summer of more than 1,000 Americans showed that 39 percent were in favor of requiring Muslims in the United States, including American citizens, to carry special identification.

Roughly a quarter of those polled said they would not want to live next door to a Muslim and a third thought that Muslims in the United States sympathized with al Qaeda, the extremist group behind the September 11, 2001, attacks on New York and Washington.

A poll carried out by the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), an advocacy group, found that for one in three Americans, the word Islam triggers negative connotations such as "war," "hatred" and "terrorist." The war in Iraq has contributed to such perceptions.

Klein's show followed a week of heated discussions on talk radio, including his own, and online forums over an incident on November 22 involving six Muslim clerics. They were handcuffed and taken off a US Airways flight after passengers reported "suspicious behavior" that included praying in the departure gate area.

The clerics, on their way to a meeting of the North American Imams Federation, were detained in a holding cell, questioned by police and FBI agents, and released. Muslim community leaders saw the incident as yet more evidence of anti-Muslim prejudice.

IGNORANCE SEEN AS KEY PROBLEM

Several American Muslims interviewed on the subject of prejudice over the past few weeks said ignorance was at the core of the problem.

The level of knowledge is very, very low," said Mohamed Esa, a U.S. Muslim of Arab descent who teaches a course on Islam at McDaniel College in Maryland. "There are 1.3 billion Muslims in the world and some people think they are all terrorists."

Hossam Ahmed, a retired Air Force Reserve colonel who occasionally leads prayer meetings for the small Muslim congregation at the Pentagon, agreed. "Ignorance is the number one problem. Education is of the essence."

There are no hard figures on how many Muslims have been subject to harassment or prejudice and community leaders say that ugly incidents can prompt spontaneous expressions of support. Such as the e-mail a Minneapolis woman sent to CAIR after the imams were taken off their flight.

"I would like to ... help," the e-mail said. "While I cannot offer plane tickets, I would be happy to drive at least 2 or 3 of them. My car is small, but at least some of our hearts in this land of the free are large."

And optimists saw signs of change in the November 4 election of the first Muslim to the U.S. House of Representatives, which has 435 members.

Democrat Keith Ellison, a 43-year-old African-American lawyer, did not stress his religion during his campaign for a Minnesota seat, but said his victory would "signal to people who are not Muslims that Muslims have a lot to offer to the United States and the improvement of our country."

:wasalam:

marzuki mohamed

i just can't imagine how my muslim bro & sis live their daily life there...
in this kind of situation-scene-enviroment-etc..

if somebody could just turn-up and convince them with such a great and easy way <skill of dakwah>..to understand maybe we can get back to the normal situation as before..

correct me if im wrong my bro n sis..

:salah:

wasalam.

Marwa17

Salamu alikum,
I think the whole islam phobia thing is a joke. I've lived in america for the past 13 years or so. Yes, you do get the occaissonal comment that makes you want to curse them out (lol...not that I would, since it's not what Allah taught us) but i think as a society, people do understand once they get to know you.
My parents are very strict muslims. I don't know if I would have decided to wear hijab and abaya to school if it had been my choice. But I am proud that they made me do it. Yes, in the beginning I hated it. But now, I feel that it is a part of who I am. I know soo many muslim girls that go to my school that say "oh, I can't. People are going to look at me weird." when you talk to them about hijab. However, I am sad to say this but the people that look at me differently are not the other americans but the muslim sisters themselves. It makes me mad. Like when they look at me, i can hear them thinking, "eww, I feel sorry for her". and they pretend they don't see you...sadly. Like, in the masjid they'll talk to me and everything. but school? never...lol. That's one reason why most of my friends from school are not muslims, sadly. Allah guide us all inshallah.
So, the whole Islam Phobia thing? I don't know if I can honestly say there is one. Maybe someone knows better than me. But, I never feel weird walking around with my hijab. I don't feel like people are scared of me or anything. But of course, I am fortuante that the area that I live in has a masjid, which is right in front of my school (although it is not muslim), and there are often many muslims walking around.
I would think though that areas where there are not that many muslims maybe there is a different reaction to the whole idea of islam. I think it is the media that stresses the idea of Islamphobia with all their nonsense.
Like for me, the first time I saw Islamophobia, to be honest, was in Horizon, the muslim magazine. Before that I never heard anyone, muslim or otherwise,talking of such a thing.
Salam

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
:bismillah:
Call me paranoid, but I'm starting to get afraid by this. I don't think I'll ever have enough money to move out of this so-called "free" country, so I'll be stuck here hearing about this for a LOOONG time.
:wasalam:

Marwa17

lol...yes sister, i feel the same way...although inshallah, i will be moving to canada soon so I hope the situation there is better. I have a question for you though. Do you honestly belive that people you know treat you like they are afraid you will blow them up or something because you are a muslim? I mean, i've heard it soo much from people that have never even lived here...but I myself have never felt that way.

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
lol...yes brother, i feel the same way...although inshallah, i will be moving to canada soon so I hope the situation there is better. I have a question for you though. Do you honestly belive that people you know treat you like they are afraid you will blow them up or something because you are a muslim? I mean, i've heard it soo much from people that have never even lived here...but I myself have never felt that way.

I'm not sure. My brother believes the government is tracking me and that I'm joining some type of terrorist organization, and at school they always joke about me being a terrorist.

Note the change, also :D

Marwa17

oh, my bad...sorry about that...i guess i just assumed, sorry...ya...lol...:shymuslima1:

so, i have a question for you, you converted to islam when you were in high school?
Like, how did you learn about it and stuff?

nasir89ah

i would have to disagree with the person who said there is not islamphobia...........yes it is...in my college muslims are even afraid of coming out and the non-muslims are accepting but still afraid to show the support publicly

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Salamu alikum,
I think the whole islam phobia thing is a joke.

Wa alaykum Salam, I see it everyday, on TV, RADIO, Newspapers, and day to day. From Airports through to getting a job. Some of it is down to pre-existing prejudice and institutionalised racism, but there is a lot of new Anti-Muslim sentiment too.

Wasalam

samiha

---------
Staff member
I think the whole islam phobia thing is a joke.

Assalamu alaykum.

If it were a joke... i'd be laughing. Truthfully it's not a joke. Different places express their fear in different ways... but it's still there.

I mean Alhamdulillah, where i am is very good... we just usually get the silent treatment... that and little children doing the whole 'whoa mommy she scares me' 'or why is she like that' you know innocent stuff with replys of 'it's not nice to stare'

i think abt 1 person came up to my mom to ask abt hijab because her like 5 yr old daughter was wondering.

so yea... its odd, but i like the quiet life who wants too much attention anyway?? But ppl here also are very polite with the whole if-she-smiles-at-me-or-says-hello-i-should-reply.

It's rare that some1 says something to you... scared me just today when we were out grocery shopping, this African American man kept smiling whenever we passed him and bothered to talk to my brothers. (doing the wierd fist thing... )

Then another time an old man talked to me in the store abt... where i was from... how i must have been here a while to have such a good accent... how he had been to Saudi a loooooonnng time ago.....then in the end he said "I just hope you know that we're glad to have you here."

kind of weird no? so yea, people are still afraid, but there's a slight stir in the air of people who are in a way apologetic, trying to say i'm sorry others treat you wierd. and alhamdulillah, May Allah guide these people to the truth.

Wassalam.

shabnum

i was in train was on my way to college, and i had a bag with me and it wasnt a small bag but big,

the person i was sitting next to started talking to me and lol in the middle of the converstaion this person whom i was sitting next to asked me a question what is in your bag ?.....

i repleid well....its my college kit,:redface: this person lol looked superised

so after a while as we kept talking i said you know when you asked me about what was in my bag

she was like yes...i said well you thought i was some terrorist woman with a bomb in my bag didnt you :confused:

she laughed and stayed quite and did not answer me so that gave me the message:frown:

omg its like you cant even do your own thing and people just cant mind their own business:fighta:

wsalaam:SMILY259:

Barbara13

Salaams,

I have been Muslim for about 2yrs, and just started covering about 4mos ago. I have not encountered any hostility thus far. I had a moron at my job make some snide remarks, but for the most part, people seem to be EXTRA nice to me. I have had a fair amount of women at my job ask me questions about the scarf and my religion (most think I converted/cover because of my husband, but I was Muslim before I met him). I think it has opened a lot of dialog potential, and insha Allah, I can say the right things.

I am sure if I lived in a different area (I live in the MD/DC/VA area), that things would be a lot different. I'm originally from PA, and it's a bit different up there in the way of thinking and open-mindedness.

Anyhoo, that's my two cents. Insha Allah, more Muslims will be public about our non acceptance of terrorism, and also...insha Allah more Muslim countries will do more than lip service to help the Palestinians.

Muslimah**

Alhamdulilah, never give up bros and sis, walk proud to be imitating the righteous. Remember that there were men and women who suffered far more severly then us.