how long does it take for allah to answer a servant's prayer ?

PSPdude

I ve been praying and praying for the same dua for two years and its not answered . Why is that ? I once seriuosly cried in tears while praying and asking allah for what I wanted . You say that maybe the dua is bad for me. Well is asking for friends bad for me is asking to be more sociable bad for me ? i dont know . And no pls dont say make friends at your local mosque or talk to people about islam , no .

I know allah will answer my prayer but how long though ?

shaheeda35

strive4Jannah
:salam2:
We should not deny the power of Allah, He does what HE wills. He gives us what He wants when He wants us to have it. Do not question Allah. What are you doing to make yourself a better person? It takes effort on your part to. Allah is so Merciful to us and He is Al-Mujeeb, The Responder, The Answerer.

We have to be very patient also. Patience will get you everywhere inshallah.

MAKE DUAA, DO YOUR BEST, AND LEAVE THE REST TO ALLAH!

sajjuaiah

As-salaam Alaikum,

Conditions of du’aa’ being accepted by Allaah

Question: What are the conditions of du’aa’ so that the du’aa’ will be answered and accepted by Allaah?.

Answer Reference:

Answer :
Praise be to Allaah.

There are many conditions of du’aa’, including the following:

1 – You should call upon no one except Allaah. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If you ask, then ask of Allaah, and if you seek help, then seek the help of Allaah.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2516; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’.

This is what is meant by the verse (interpretation of the meaning):

“And the mosques are for Allaah (Alone), so invoke not anyone along with Allaah”

[al-Jinn 72:18]

This is the most important condition of du’aa’, without which no du’aa’ will be accepted and no good deed taken up. There are some people who make du’aa’ to the dead and regard them as intermediaries between them and Allaah. They claim that these righteous people will bring them closer to Allaah and intercede for them with Him, and they claim that their sins are so great that they have no status before Allaah, and that is why they set up these intermediaries and pray to them instead of Allaah. But Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And when My slaves ask you (O Muhammad) concerning Me, then (answer them), I am indeed near (to them by My Knowledge). I respond to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on Me (without any mediator or intercessor)”
[al-Baqarah 2:186]

2 – You should seek to draw close to Allaah in one of the ways that are prescribed in sharee’ah.

3 – You should avoid seeking a quick response, for this is one of the problems that may prevent the du’aa’ from being accepted. In the hadeeth it says: “One of you may be answered so long as he is not hasty and says, ‘I said du’aa’ but I got no response.’” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 6340; Muslim, 2735.

In Saheeh Muslim (2736) it says: “A man’s (du’aa’s) may be answered so long as it does not involve sin or severing the ties of kinship or hastening.” It was said: “O Messenger of Allaah, what does hastening mean?” He said: “When he says, ‘I made du’aa’ and I made du’aa’ but I did not see any response,’ so he gets discouraged and stops making du’aa’.”

4 – The du’aa’ should not involve sin or severing of the ties of kinship, as stated in the hadeeth quoted above: “A man’s (du’aa’s) may be answered so long as he does not involve sin or severing the ties of kinship …”

5 – You should think positively of Allaah. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah, may He be exalted, says: ‘I am as My slave thinks I am.’” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 7405; Muslim, 4675. According to the hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah: “Make du’aa’ to Allaah when you are certain of a response.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi; classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 245.

Whoever thinks well of his Lord, Allaah will bestow His bounty upon him and give him in abundance.

6 – You should be focused, aware of the greatness of the One upon Whom you are calling. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Know that Allaah does not answer a du’aa from a distracted heart.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 3479; classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 245.

7 – Ensuring that one’s food comes from good (halaal) sources. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, Allaah accepts only from those who are Al-Muttaqoon (the pious)”

[al-Maa’idah 5:27]

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) stated that a response was unlikely for one who eats, drinks and wears haraam things. In the hadeeth it says: [The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)] mentioned the man who undertakes a lengthy journey and is disheveled and covered with dust, and he stretches his hands towards heaven saying, ‘O Lord, O Lord,’ when his food is haraam, his drink is haraam, his clothes are haraam. He is nourished with haraam, so how can he be granted a response?

Narrated by Muslim, 1015.

Ibn al-Qayyim said: Thus eating haraam things saps the strength of the du’aa’ and weakens it.

8 – You should avoid aggression in du’aa’, for Allaah does not like aggression in du’aa’. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Invoke your Lord with humility and in secret. He likes not the aggressors”

[al-A’raaf 7:55]

See also question no. 41017.

9 – You should not let du’aa’ distract you from an obligatory duty such as an obligatory prayer that is now due, and you should not neglect parents’ rights on the basis of du’aa’. This is indicated by the story of Jurayj, when he did not answer his mother’s call and turned instead to his prayer. She prayed against him and Allaah tested him sorely.

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The scholars said: This indicates that what he should have done is to answer her, because he was offering a supererogatory (naafil prayer), continuation of which was voluntary, not obligatory, whereas answering his mother and honouring her was obligatory and disobeying her was haraam.

Saheeh Muslim bi Sharh al-Nawawi, 16/82.

For more information see Kitaab al-Du’aa’ by Muhammad ibn Ibraaheem al-Hamad.

sajjuaiah

Places and times where du’aa’ is answered

Question: What are the times, places and situations where du’aa’ is answered? And what is meant by the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) “Dabr al-salawaat al-maktoobah (following the prescribed prayers)”? Is the prayer of a father for his child answered, or is it a prayer against him that is answered? I hope you can explain all these matters.

Answer Reference:

Answer :
Praise be to Allaah.

There are many times and places where du’aa’ is answered. There follows a summary thereof:

1 – Laylat al-Qadar. It was narrated that ‘Aa’ishah asked the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him):

“If I know what night is Laylat al-Qadar, what should I say during it?” He said: “Say: Allaahumma innaka ‘afuwwan tuhibb ul-‘afwa fa’fu ‘anni (O Allaah, You are forgiving and love forgiveness, so forgive me).”

2 – Du’aa’ in the depths of the night, the time before dawn, the time when Allaah descends to bestow His bounty upon His slaves, to meet their needs and to relieve their distress, when He says: “Who will call upon Me, that I may answer Him? Who will ask of Me, that I may give him? Who will seek My forgiveness, that I may forgive him?” narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1145.

3 – Following the prescribed prayers. According to the hadeeth of Abu Umaamah, it was said: “O Messenger of Allaah, which du’aa’ is heard?” He said:

“In the last third of the night, and following the prescribed prayers.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 3499; classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.

There was some difference of scholarly opinion concerning the phrase dabr al-salawaat al-maktoobah (“following the prescribed prayers”) – does it mean before the salaam or afterwards?

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah and his student Ibn al-Qayyim were of the view that it is before the salaam. Ibn Taymiyah said: “The word dabr refers to something that is part of a thing, like dabr al-haywaan (the hindquarters of an animal).” Zaad al-Ma’aad, 1.305. Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said: “What has been narrated of du’aa’ following the prayer is before the salaam and what has been narrated of dhikr following the prayer is after the salaam, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“When you have finished As-Salaah (the congregational prayer), remember Allaah standing, sitting down, and (lying down) on your sides”

[al-Nisa’ 4:103]

See: Kitaab al-Du’aa’ by Shaykh Muhammad al-Hamad, p. 54

4 – Between the adhaan and the iqaamah. It is narrated in a saheeh report that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “A du’aa’ offered between the adhaan and iqaamah is not rejected.” Narrated by Abu Dawood (521) and al-Tirmidhi (212). See also Saheeh al-Jaami’, 2408.

5 – When the call for the prescribed prayers is given and when the ranks are drawn up for battle, as it says in the marfoo’ hadeeth of Sahl ibn Sa’d: “There are two that will not be rejected, or will rarely be rejected: du’aa’ at the time of the call for prayer and at the time of battle when the fighting begins.” Narrated by Abu Dawood; it is a saheeh report. See Saheeh al-Jaami’, 3079.

6 – When rain falls, as it said in the hadeeth of Sahl ibn Sa’d that is attributed to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “There are two which will not be rejected: du’aa’ at the time of the call (to prayer) and when it is raining.” Narrated by Abu Dawood and classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’ (3078).

7 – At a certain time of the night, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “During the night there is a time when the Muslim does not ask for the good of this world and the Hereafter but it will be given to him, and that happens every night.” Narrated by Muslim, 757.

8 – A certain time on Friday. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) mentioned Friday and said: “During it there is a time when a Muslim slave does not stand and pray and ask Allaah for something, but He will give it to him,” and he gestured with his hand to indicate how short that time is. Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 935; Muslim, 852. See also question no. 21748.

9 – When drinking Zamzam water. It was narrated from Jaabir (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Zamzam water is for that for which it is drunk.” Narrated by Ahmad and classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 5502.

10 – When prostrating. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The closest that a person is to his Lord is when he is prostrating, so say a great deal of du’aa’ then.” Narrated by Muslim, 482.

11 – When hearing the crowing of a rooster, because of the hadeeth: “When you hear the crowing of a rooster, ask Allaah of His bounty, for he has seen an angel.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 2304; Muslim, 2729.

12 – When saying the du’aa’, “Laa ilaaha illa anta, subhaanaka, inni kuntu min al-zaalimeen ([none has the right to be worshipped but You (O Allaah)], Glorified (and Exalted) be You [above all that (evil) they associate with You]! Truly, I have been of the wrongdoers – cf al-Anbiya’ 21:87]).” It was narrated in a saheeh hadeeth that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The prayer of Dhu’l-Noon (Yoonus) which he said when he was in the belly of the whale: ‘Laa ilaaha illa anta, subhaanaka, inni kuntu min al-zaalimeen ([none has the right to be worshipped but You (O Allaah)], Glorified (and Exalted) be You [above all that (evil) they associate with You]! Truly, I have been of the wrongdoers.’ No Muslim recites this du’aa’ concerning any matter but Allaah will answer him.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi and classed as saheeh in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 3383.

In his commentary on the passage (interpretation of the meaning):

“And (remember) Dhun‑Noon (Jonah), when he went off in anger, and imagined that We shall not punish him (i.e. the calamities which had befallen him)! But he cried through the darkness (saying): Laa ilaaha illa Anta [none has the right to be worshipped but You (O Allaah)], Glorified (and Exalted) be You [above all that (evil) they associate with You]! Truly, I have been of the wrongdoers.”

88. So We answered his call, and delivered him from the distress. And thus We do deliver the believers (who believe in the Oneness of Allaah, abstain from evil and work righteousness)”

[al-Anbiya’ 21:87-88]

Al-Qurtubi said: In this verse, Allaah stipulates that whoever calls upon Him, He will answer him as He answered and saved Dhu’l-Noon (Yoonus). This is what is meant by the words “And thus We do deliver the believers”.

Al-Jaami’ li Ahkaam il-Qur’aan, 11/334.

13 – If a calamity befalls him and he says, Inna Lillaahi wa inna ilayhi raaji’oon, Allaahumma ujurni fi museebati w'ukhluf li khayran minha (Truly, to Allaah we belong and truly, to Him we shall return; O Allaah, reward me in this calamity and compensate me with something better than it). It was narrated by Muslim in his Saheeh (918) that Umm Salamah said:

I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “There is no calamity that befalls one of the Muslims and he responds by saying ‘Innaa Lillaahi wa innaa ilahi raaji'oon, Allaahumma ujurni fi museebati w'ukhluf li khayran minha (Truly, to Allaah we belong and truly, to Him we shall return; O Allaah, reward me in this calamity and compensate me with something better than it),’ but Allaah will compensate him with something better than it.”

14 – The prayer of people after the soul of the deceased has been taken. According to the hadeeth, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) entered upon Abu Salamah (after he had died) and his eyes were open. He closed them and said: “When the soul is taken, the gaze follows it.” Some of his family got upset and he said: “Do not pray for anything but good for yourselves, for the angels say Ameen to whatever you say.” Narrated by Muslim. 2732.

15 – Du’aa’ for one who is sick. Muslim (919) narrated that Umm Salamah said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When you visit a sick person, say good things, for the angels say Ameen to whatever you say…” When Abu Salamah died, I came to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said: “Abu Salamah has died.” He said: “Say: O Allaah, forgive me and him, and compensate me well.” She said: I said: And Allaah compensated me with one who was better for me than him: Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

16 – The prayer of the one who has been wronged. In the hadeeth it says: “Fear the prayer of the one who has been wronged, for there is no barrier between it and Allaah.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 469; Muslim, 19. And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The prayer of the one who has been wronged will be answered, even if he is an evildoer, for his evildoing is only against himself.” Narrated by Ahmad. See Saheeh al-Jaami’, 3382.

17 – The du’aa’ of a father for his child – i.e., for his benefit – and the du’aa’ of a fasting person during the day of his fast, and the prayer of the traveller. It was narrated in a saheeh report that our Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There are three prayers that are not rejected: the prayer of a father for his child, the prayer of the fasting person and the prayer of the traveller.” Narrated by al-Bayhaqi; see Saheeh al-Jaami’, 2032; al-Saheehah, 1797.

18 – The prayer of a father against his child – i.e., to harm him. According to a saheeh hadeeth: ‘There are three prayers that will be answered: the prayer of one who has been wronged, the prayer of a traveller, and the prayer of a father against his child.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1905. See Saheeh al-Adab al-Mufrad, 372.

19 – The du’aa’ of a righteous person for his parents, as stated in the hadeeth narrated by Muslim (1631): “When the son of Adam dies, all his good deeds come to an end except three: ongoing charity, a righteous son who will pray for him, or beneficial knowledge.”

20 – Du’aa’ after the sun has passed its zenith and before Zuhr. It was narrated from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn al-Saa’ib (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to pray four rak'ahs after the sun had passed its zenith and before Zuhr, and he said: “This is a time when the gates of heaven are opened and I want a good deed of mine to ascend during this time.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi and its isnaad is saheeh. See Takhreej al-Mishkaat, 1/337.

21 – Du’aa’ when going to bed at night, and saying the du’aa’ that was narrated for that time. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever goes to bed at night and says Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah wa Allaahu akbar wa laa hawla wa laa quwwata illa Billaah (There is no god but Allaah and Allaah is Most Great and there is no power and no strength except with Allaah), then he says: Allaahumma ighfir li (O Allaah, forgive me), or he makes du’aa’, his prayer will be answered, and if he does wudoo’ and prays, his prayer will be accepted.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1154.

And Allah Knows Best

Almeftah

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

Dear PSPdude,

For Allah knows best, He may answer at once, After a while, or maybe never.. You are asking for something you need otherwise you wouldnt be asking for it.. But this thing may not be for your own good.
Many people asked Allah for things, and after getting them it made them more miserable and caused nothing but trouble, Or just made them change into worse.

(Al-Baqara 2) and it may be that you dislike a thing which is good for you and that you like a thing which is bad for you. Allâh knows but you do not know. (216)

Maryam Sayyidina

Beside all the references that valid from Quran, maybe this one will make you think that Allah ALWAYS full fill our wish.
Allah Answers prays in 3 ways:
He Says “YES” and give what you want
He Says “NO” & give you something better
He Says “WAIT” & give you the best in His own time

Issa92

I ve been praying and praying for the same dua for two years and its not answered . Why is that ? I once seriuosly cried in tears while praying and asking allah for what I wanted . You say that maybe the dua is bad for me. Well is asking for friends bad for me is asking to be more sociable bad for me ? i dont know . And no pls dont say make friends at your local mosque or talk to people about islam , no .

I know allah will answer my prayer but how long though ?

Allah said, that his servants should pray for him. Because Allah will answer ALL of them. The real question is wether your du'a will be answered in your life or after your death....But it is one of the promises of Allah. He will answer all his true believers once.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
Beside all the references that valid from Quran, maybe this one will make you think that Allah ALWAYS full fill our wish.
Allah Answers prays in 3 ways:
He Says “YES” and give what you want
He Says “NO” & give you something better
He Says “WAIT” & give you the best in His own time

very well said. that's the absolute best way to look at it.
:wasalam:

PSPdude

Allah said, that his servants should pray for him. Because Allah will answer ALL of them. The real question is wether your du'a will be answered in your life or after your death....But it is one of the promises of Allah. He will answer all his true believers once.

If thats the case , then why do we make dua . Mights why just pray everyday and no need to make dua .

nizar83

aselemu aleikum

also the du3aa from a muslim who has cut off contact with any member of his family will not be answered.

be it his mother..or his aunt he has only seen once in the last 8 years!

PSPdude

aselemu aleikum

also the du3aa from a muslim who has cut off contact with any member of his family will not be answered.

be it his mother..or his aunt he has only seen once in the last 8 years!

Well al hamdulilah I am in good contact with all my family members , so I know thats not the reason why :)

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
If thats the case , then why do we make dua . Mights why just pray everyday and no need to make dua .

:salam2: Brother,
When a believer makes a Valid dua, then one out of three things happen:

1. The dua is answered and you get what you wanted.
2. Allah gives you something equal to your dua (he substitute it with something equal in value).
3. Your dua is kept (unanswered) but you get a much better reward on the Day of Judgement. According to our Prophet :saw: when people will see what kinds of rewards Allah (SWT) will be handing out for their unanswered prayers they would wish that none of their duas ever got answered in this world.

So making dua would mean you are automatically increasing your blessings, one way or another.
Hope you understand it now.
:wasalam:

nasiruyola

SALAM YOUR DU'A IS ANSWERED SOLONG AS ....

PSPdude; said:
Well al hamdulilah I am in good contact with all my family members , so I know thats not the reason why :)

SALAM
MY very good brother pls first of all I ASK Allah to forgive you and us and protect us from satan. My very good brother, By Allah one can withstand the hardship of this world as for sure they will end but that of the hereafter cant be withstand even for a second remember the hadith of the man who lived a luxurious life but after being thrown into the hell once he forgot all the so-called enjoymetns of this life.
If your intension as you outlined is good, for sure, that intension did not equate the zeal which the holy prophet shows in ensuring that his beloved uncle Abudalib accept islam? but ALLAH does as HE wish subhanaHU WATA'ALA and abudalib did not accept islam.

Also remember the history of khidr in surah kahf especially the history of that boy that was slaughtered by khidr. for sure this was a calamity to his parents but they will be happier when they meet ALLAH and found out how ALLAH saved them from disbelief by taking their son.
my very good brother can you remember how many times you and i COMMIT SINS YET ALLAH did not take our soul but gives us respite to repent? if HE (SWT) had SO WISHED, WE WOULD HAVE DIED COMMITTING THAT SIN AND PROCEED TO GIVE A COMPLETE ACCOUNT OF OUR DEEDS.
REMEMBER WHAT ALLAH (SWT) SAID IN SURAH YUNUS VERSE 11 AND 12 BELOW(INTERPRETATION OF YUSUF ALI)

11. If Allah were to hasten for men the ill (they have earned) as they would fain hasten on the good,- then would their respite be settled at once. But We leave those who rest not their hope on their meeting with Us, in their trespasses, wandering in distraction to and fro.

12. When trouble toucheth a man, He crieth unto Us (in all postures)- lying down on his side, or sitting, or standing. But when We have solved his trouble, he passeth on his way as if he had never cried to Us for a trouble that touched him! thus do the deeds of transgressors seem fair in their eyes!

MY VERY GOOD BROTHER YOUR DU'A IS ANSWERED SO LONG AS YOU HAVE NOT SHOWN IMPATIENCE AS THE HOLY PROPHET SAID IN THE HADITH BELOW:

ABU HURAIRA NARRATED ALLAH'S APOSTLE SAID '' THE INVOCATION OF ANY ONE OF YOU IS GRANTED IF HE DOES NOT SHOW IMPATIENCE (BY SAYING ) '' I INVOKED ALLAH BUT MY REQUEST HAS NOT BEEN GRANTED''.BUKHARI BOOK 75 HADITH 352

MY VERY GOOD BROTHER WE SHOULD SEEK ALLAH'S FORGIVENESS AND NOTE THAT DU'A ITSELF IS AN IBADA AND WHOEVER FAILED TO MAKE DU'A COULD BE A SIGN OF BEING SELF-SATISFIED!!! NAUZUBILLAH
MAY ALLAH PROTECT YOU AND US ALL FROM SATAN. PLS READ MORE IN THE QURAN, SAHIL AL-BUKHARI OR ANY OTHER AUTHENTIC SOURCE FOR FURTHER DETAILS.

Issa92

After your death. In front of your Lord. When you're about to be judged. When you are having the most terrible and fearing experience. When your mind boils over trying to think what it's body did in the life, of good and bad. Won't then the du'a you made be a positive weight on your good deeds. I promise you if you were patient enough, you would understand that your du'as benefit you much much better infront of your Lord after death, then in this life...

If you pray to Allah, to have some friends, to be more social. That is very important and very useful in muslim eyes. But if Allah waits with the answer till your death and he gives you the positive news there, that you'll be social and with plenty of friends in Jannah. Wich of them would you prefer?

Anyway Allah knows best, and what he thinks is the best for you he won't hold on it!

:salam2: brother .it depends on Allah when to answer a prayer. he will answer to your prayer but sometimes what we ask for may not be right for us. Take it this way u pray you or your friend becomes very rich. Well there is nothing wrong in becoming rich but Allah knows maybe you might do wrong deed once you become rich. Which will take you to hell fire. so he delays that dua that you become rich. You say Allah is not answering your prayers but maybe he is protecting you from something worse. You should do istikhara first that is this good for me and if you feel it is pray with a clean heart and he will answer you.