New to site from UK

Mixedup

Hi

I am Jo and am looking at converting to Islam.
I am hoping I can gain some insight and support from this site as my life and situation is very complicated at the moment.
I was born into a Christian family but would not call myself a Christian as I am not and never have been practising.
Wishing everyone well
Thanks
Jo

amanwas

Welcome from pakistan

It is great to hear.
we (all muslims) welcome you and i will provide every kind of help.
It is a great decision.
Could you kindly tell me what kind of problem people face there when
converting to islam.

thanks
take care

cmelbouzaidi

:salam2: Peace be upon you Jo. WELCOME TO TTI :) :) :)

You are not alone in this forum of coming from a non-practising Christian family. I was non-practising Catholic (from Ireland) before I became Muslim and have been Muslim now for some 17 years! I was 21 at the time and reverting to Islam, without question, was the best decision I ever made :)

I hope you will enjoy your stay on TTI. I would suggest you take a look at www.quranexplorer.com if you have often access to a computer as you can read Qur'an on line and read the translation for each verse alongside the Arabic. If you have the opportunity of getting to a local Islamic Centre in the UK, I would recommend you get a hard copy of Al Qur'an, The Holy Qur'an with the Yusuf Ali translation, footnotes and index in English. Also, if you can get an introductory book of Hadith (sayings of the Prophet Mohammad, peace be upon him), that might help also. May you find comfort and trust in ALLAH, The Almighty and warmth in the Light of Islam.

There are many knowledgeable sisters and brothers on this site (I am not one of them, lol!) but I am here if you need to send a message to someone who may be able to understand your situation.

Your sister currently in Paris, France :)

catherine iman

:wasalam:

sajjuaiah

Warm welcome to this beautiful community.

May Allah guide you and help you.:tti_sister:

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
Hi

I am Jo and am looking at converting to Islam.
I am hoping I can gain some insight and support from this site as my life and situation is very complicated at the moment.
I was born into a Christian family but would not call myself a Christian as I am not and never have been practising.
Wishing everyone well
Thanks
Jo

Dear Siter Jo,
Assalam-o-alikum (Peace and blessings be upon you),

I saw your posts and I am so proud of you. It is really great to see one or two people every day joining TTI to find the truth and finally they do find the truth.

As you will find, Quran is not like other books where one chapters discusses one matter and the next chapter discusses another matter in sequence. Quran was revealed to Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) in verses, these verses were assembled togather in a way that later verses were inserted according to the instructions of Allah (SWT). They were then divided into chapters according to Allah's instructions. So one chapter may discuss several subjects, therefore it helps if someone explains them and provide some background information about those chapters and verses.

In the following website you can find a very good translation as well as explanation of Quran chapter by chapter:

http://www.tafheem.net/main.html

On the left there is an Index of chapters and on the right there are contents.
If you want to know the background of a chapter then click "Intro" (which is at the top) and read. Some chapters are long so they are divided into pieces e.g. verse [22-41] etc. It is easy.

You can also use this as a quick reference guide to know the background of a verse or its explanation at any time. Hope this will help you.

Note: The name of the chapters did not come from Allah but Prophet Mohammad named them besed on a particular word in that chapter or its content.

Good Luck Sister Jo.

br_rizwan

Slave of Almighty
Welcome to Global Community. Allahamdullilah you been bless by ALLAH that you have some where in your heart have seriousness about religion. And Only religion accept by all mightly is Islam.

Zafran

Muslim Brother
Salaam (peace)

welcome to the site - hope you find this site eductaional

peace.

May Allah guide you to the straight path.

sami2000

aslam alikum warhamto allah wabarakato
welcome brother to TTI and you are one of us may allah show us the straight path
salam alikum
sami2000

Mixedup

For Amanwas and to all who have given me kind welcomes

You asked what problems we have in Uk when converting to Islam. I can only speak of my own experiences and I know some people have it quite easy (ie lots of support and acceptance) especially if they live in a Muslim community/area.
For me I have experienced verbal abuse from people I dont know, I am stared at and am told how stupid I am for been involved with Muslims. I have also had to endure people thinking they have the right to judge me because I am in a relationship with a Muslim man and have a son who we raise as a Muslim. (he is 8).
Its difficult on both sides for me because the asian community do not accept me properly I am the guri !! and the white community are funny with us because they assume my partner will be either a terrorist or wife beater. They are so ignorant. I even know that my friend who has converted and is white and has gone to mosque was ridiculed and abused by her muslim sisters as she in their eyes would never make a good muslim. Its difficult but as my partner says ALLAH tests us and our faith. You should not be put off by other peoples opinions or sins as the only person you answer to is ALLAH. This is true but living that life day in day out is indeed a test.
I am just so blessed that my partner and son are soooooo patient with me

Jo

D.Ahmed

Believer
For Amanwas and to all who have given me kind welcomes

You asked what problems we have in Uk when converting to Islam. I can only speak of my own experiences and I know some people have it quite easy (ie lots of support and acceptance) especially if they live in a Muslim community/area.
For me I have experienced verbal abuse from people I dont know, I am stared at and am told how stupid I am for been involved with Muslims. I have also had to endure people thinking they have the right to judge me because I am in a relationship with a Muslim man and have a son who we raise as a Muslim. (he is 8).
Its difficult on both sides for me because the asian community do not accept me properly I am the guri !! and the white community are funny with us because they assume my partner will be either a terrorist or wife beater. They are so ignorant. I even know that my friend who has converted and is white and has gone to mosque was ridiculed and abused by her Muslim sisters as she in their eyes would never make a good Muslim. Its difficult but as my partner says ALLAH tests us and our faith. You should not be put off by other peoples opinions or sins as the only person you answer to is ALLAH. This is true but living that life day in day out is indeed a test.
I am just so blessed that my partner and son are soooooo patient with me

Jo

Salaam Sister.

Really sorry to hear about your situation and your treatment by some Muslims and also Non muslims, Yes i'm afraid there are alot of Asian people who have this way of thinking which is very wrong but please try not to pay too much attention to them and their ignorance, Anyway it seems like you have a very loving husband who will stand by you Alhamdulillah so I pray that Allah swt makes it easier for you and your family Insha-Allah.

showaib

Let me tell you

:bismillah1:
Salam sis
Let me tell you one hadith to the nearest meaning
Prophet SWT said that in the last times keeping emaan is like keeping a burning coal in the hand. (so just imagine)

so dont worry about attitudes of the others

keep doing dua

wasalam

AZAM_SIDDIQUI

DEAR SISTER JO.. if i read right you are loojking at converting to islam.
first thing you are/were not a christian so you are innocent of 'son of god 'blasphemy.
you dont have to leave anything.you just got to accept what you are to yourself .a muslim.
secondly one thing might ease the strain of it all - ask yourself how would you want your innocent son to grow up -with the kind of clutter that the people who stare at you grew up with or as a respectful person ,who loves Allah ,is obedient to His parents ..invites others to the way of islam and humbly says i AM ONE OF THE MUSLIMS..

MAYbe what i am saying will help you put your priorities in order.secondly i faced the same problem and a little bit of attitude,a little bit of pride and confidence help a lot.it is enough to cast terror into the empty hearts of the living dead.and more than just a little bit of pride is allowed when preparing for war.which is what you are doing .this going to be the greatest war and it would be won with prayers more than anything else.
OUR FRIEND IS ALLAH THE ALMIGHTY AND THE MUSHRIKIN AND KAFIRS HAVE NO REAL FRIENDS.just illusions and a feeling of superiority by belittling others.afterall all their grand scheme of things is based on 'theory of evolution' whichg is sob sob ..a theory.
for this atleast you can check..
www.harunyahya.com
go to presentations or articles or movies download and watch.
lastly for matters of islam keep coming here though the sight i say is good for scientific stuff and demolishing the mental structure of western philosophies of life.
ALLAH HAFIZ

AZAM_SIDDIQUI

LASTLY IN A WAR ITS IMPORTANT TO TAKE SIDES..........SO CHOOSE THE TRUTH AND PEACE....BECAUSE AS I LIKE TO SAY IF YOU DONT TAKE SIDES YOU WILL BE SHOT BY BOTH AND TRULY THERE IS NO REFUGE ANYWHERE IN THE UNIVERSE EXCEPT ALLAH.