Halal Food Saves China Muslims

CAIRO — While China is still suffering from a tainted milk scandal, Muslims in the northwest Xinjiang province are feel confident their dairy products are safe, thanks to their halal standards.
"Halal food is traditional," Hui Li Huang, manager of Urumqi Arman halal food store, told the San Francisco Chronicle on Friday, November 7.

"There are few additives to the food during the processing, so it's safer."

China, the world's most populous country, has been hit by its worst tainted milk scandal in modern history.

At least four babies died of kidney failure and 53,000 children fell sick after drinking milk contaminated by industrial chemical melamine, which was added to make the milk appear richer in protein.

The scandal led to massive recalls of Chinese food products containing milk at home and abroad.

But the Muslim-majority Xinjiang province was safe from the contaminated milk because of the halal food standards.

"The dairy industry is regulated by both religious and government institutions," said Wei Sheng Wang, director of the government's Xinjiang trade commission.

In Xinjiang, food products have to be certified by a local Islamic Council which includes imams trained to make sure the products adhere to halal standards.

The council members and government inspectors regularly visit processing factories to ensure the food safety.

"We don't have contamination at the moment," said Wei.

The concept of halal -- meaning permissible in Arabic -- has traditionally been applied to food.

Muslims should only eat meat from livestock slaughtered by a sharp knife from their necks, and the name of Allah, the Arabic word for God, must be mentioned.

Now other goods and services can also be certified as halal, including cosmetics, clothing, pharmaceuticals and financial services.

Flourishing

Most dairy products in Xinjiang are produced in the province to be used by the customers.

"Other provinces lost control of the milk supply because they had to get their product from middlemen," said Dan Feng Zhang, general manager of the province's largest milk company, Gary Dairy.

"Here in Xinjiang, the enterprises themselves own the dairy farms and follow strict standards, customs and habits of local Muslims."

The halal food standards have increased confidence in the Xinjiang food products, earning it the name of "China's New Zealand", a reference to that nation's small area but large food export capacity.

For example, Ihlas candy factory on the outskirts of Urumqi, have increased candies and snack pastries exports to Turkey and is planning to expand its markets to other Muslim countries.

Halal meat companies also export its products to neighboring countries with sizable Muslim populations, such as Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan.

Xinjiang also exports halal products to Mongolia, Japan and Malaysia.

The northwest Xinjiang province has been autonomous since 1955 but continues to be the subject of crackdowns by Chinese authorities.

Beijing views Xinjiang as an invaluable asset because of its crucial strategic location near Central Asia and its large oil and gas reserves.

Source: http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/...97979467&pagename=Zone-English-News/NWELayout

ed209

wow,it seems that the "milk issue" in China becoms an international hot point...

Compassion9

The cutting of the throat of an animal especially when the animal is both conscious and VERY aware of what is happening to it can hardly be described as humane.

I cannot understand any religion which permits the appalling handling and treatment of animals- be these animals in Asia, the Middle East or Europe, Americas or Pacific nations. Allah as with any God in which you may believe is merciful so why arent those people who follow their God's teachings?

Do you really think God, Allah or whomever created this world for us to then abuse the animals he also created and no one can convince me that eating meat is not murder.

If you eat the meat of another animal and we are ALL animals like it or not, you are eating the rotting dying flesh of a creature who feels pain, fear, anxiety, love joy, confusion, resentment sadness, lonliness, the list of emotions goes on and on.

Shame on every person who eats meat.

allahkabandha

Halal food good for all

wow,it seems that the "milk issue" in China becoms an international hot point...

Assalamu alaikum to everybody, I wish this news be an eyeopener for those who make a mockery of Islam and halal foods. May Alah reward you for posting such a good news. Allah hafiz

Mixedup

I would like one of our more knowledgable brothers or sisters to answer this.
My understanding is that ALLAH (swt) provided for us be it animal, vegetable, fish, water etc. We are allowed to eat meat (halal) and it would actually be wrong not to eat what has been provided for us.
A lot of vegetarians eat fish. Do they have no feelings as you put it???
As for the word humane the halal method is much better than the western methods of electrocution etc where the animal does suffer.
Plants are alive also do they feel pain when picked or cut??

You say shame on every person who eats meat. Without wanting to offend why should we feel shame?? ALLAH (swt) provided meat for us how can that be shameful?

shaheeda35

strive4Jannah
:salam2:

"O you who have believed fulfill all contracts.. Lawful for you are the animals of grazing livestock except for that which is recited to you(in the Quran)-Hunting not being permitted while you are in the state if Ihram. Indeed Allah ordains what He intends." Surah Maidah Ayat 1

Allah says we can eat meat as long they are slaughtered in a halal manner. You should not put anyone down because they eat meat, it is not fair its just your opinion. Some of us do eat meat like myself because Allah says we can.

Jazakallahu Khairan for the article Brother HumbleOne, :ma:!

Zafran

Muslim Brother
The cutting of the throat of an animal especially when the animal is both conscious and VERY aware of what is happening to it can hardly be described as humane.

I cannot understand any religion which permits the appalling handling and treatment of animals- be these animals in Asia, the Middle East or Europe, Americas or Pacific nations. Allah as with any God in which you may believe is merciful so why arent those people who follow their God's teachings?

Do you really think God, Allah or whomever created this world for us to then abuse the animals he also created and no one can convince me that eating meat is not murder.

If you eat the meat of another animal and we are ALL animals like it or not, you are eating the rotting dying flesh of a creature who feels pain, fear, anxiety, love joy, confusion, resentment sadness, lonliness, the list of emotions goes on and on.

salaam

Have you been in chicken/ slaughter houses in the UK - they electrocute the animals there. Killing the aninmal with a sharp knife quickly and efficently kills the animal mercifully unlike a bolt of lightning being shot through the animal.

There is nothing wrong with eating meat - one of the reasons animals are here is for our provision but we cant mis use the responsibilty.

By the way Humans are not ONLY animals we are sophistcated beings with reason thanks to Allah swt. Unlike animals.

peace.

soeurette

Ahh vegetarians, its quite an interesting phenomenon really other then religious groups this western idea of vegetarianism and veganism is relatively new. Even in the early
20th century most of the western world was still eating meat. I mean I'm not a huge meat eater its just not appealing to me, but we have become a society that anthropomorphises our animals.
I love animals and hate when I see people mistreating them, but they are not humans, in fact very few animals actually have any form of actual cognitive abilities which is a huge part of being human. There is not awareness of who or what they are.
And as someone mentioned before do you not kill plants in order to eat them, so shame on vegetarians who consume our world source of oxygen production that is creating increases in CO2 levels.
oh and by the way maybe you should spread the message to people on fixed incomes or living in poor nations and i will guarantee you you will be met with looks of disbelief because guess what to live a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle requires money that many people do not have because you are not getting all the nutrients required in your diet. there are 20 amino acids, humans produce i believe 6 of them naturally the other 14 need to be gotten from consumed products.

Salem9022

cutting the animals neck with your hand with a sharp knife quickly is more Merciful, then those slaughter houses in America, Uk, China, India, europe etc. They pack hundreds of animals together and just electricute them or some times put them on machines which goes and just pops their neck off automatically by the hundreds. Think which method is better.

Salaam,

In many instances, the animals are blindfolded so they do not see the sharp knives. How mericful we are. Halal procedures is the most clean, gentle, kind method of killing an animal compared to any other method in the world.

Compassion9

No reason to eat dead flesh

Animals are not food they are animals first and foremost.

Seeing animals as food denegrates both the animal and the person and reduces the animal and their sentience to nothing but food.

I am not interested in arguing as to whether vegetarians eat fish or dont, what is relevant here is that Allah, or God provided animals for us to love - and in turn humans show their absolute disrespect and lack of compassion by eating them.

Further slaughter is not humane no matter how it is done- the taking of a life is the taking of a life no matter how you dress it up. Whether the slaughter is done in a western country or in the ME it is still slaughter and the animal feels anxiety, fear, is frightened, feels pain, and suffers till the end. Is that what Islam is about? Making animals feel pain and fear?

If not then why are the animals trussed up like bags of grain and shoved into the boots of cars in places like Kuwait? Why, in Egypt, do they poke the eyes out in cattle and slash tendons to disable the animal before cutting its throat- meanwhile it thrashes around making a gurgling sound trying to bellow which is their way of showing that they are petrifed. How do they kill a camel or our large Australian cattle for the religious events in Saudi and other countries- it is simply barbaric no matter what you say.

I do not accept that Allah is cruel and heartless but I do think that the way his word is interpreted by humans for their own benefit has made humans selfish and thoughtless in the extreme. The human interpretation has provided excuse after excuse for the shocking treatment of animals and there is no excuse. Cruelty is cruelty.

Compassion and respect for all creatures should span across all parts of the globe- and there is no need to say that some places are worse than our own so our treatment is okay. Treating animals as mere commodities is just unacceptable no matter what country and shows a complete lack of understanding, respect, love and compassion for not just the animals but for the creations of your Allah.

Compassion9

peddling rubbish..

By the way TheHumbleWun I am unsure how they kill animals on the planet 'Fairyland' where you live but I live in the real world! It has been witnessed in small Muslim enclaves in Spain that sheep are killed by sticking screwdrivers into their necks - how merciful is that?

Dont peddle claptrap to me that halal killing is gentle when I have footage showing animals having their throat slit in full view of other animals, men sawing at the necks of sheep because the blade is blunt, animals screaming before they have a lunatic trying to kill them.

Its your religion!

shammyshahoo

brother....peace be upon u....God has created everything in the earth for humanbeings. this is mentioned in quran.''He it is who created fr u all that is on earth''(chptr2;verse 29). he hs allowed us to eat wht is good and things permitted by him. this is also mentiond in the holy book. inorder to eat the flesh of animals one hs to slaughter according to Allah's teachings. by cutting the wind pipe and the main blood vessel in the neck, the animal doesn't feel pain atall. it is scientifically explained. i believe that u hv learned abt the eco-cycle. God keeps a kind of perfect balance in population of various animals. if every man in the world r srtict vegetarians........wht wl happen to the cattles? the number may increase enormously. so there wl be an imbalance...overpopulation of that animals. u must hav learnd this system in ur high school science. if u check wth that...u can understand the disaster. wht abt these things we routinely doing in our household? mosquitoess..... ants..... snakes... flies....scorpion.... we all kill them. plants also r living things...and they also hv feelings... the thing is that we should be merciful to them even at the time of slaughtering.. God is all knowing.. so he teaches wht is best fr us. other thing...there is no compulsion that we should eat meat. that is the choice of individuals... so u cannot blame or insult who eat meat..

Compassion9

We may be the only animals with the power of reason- so what?

That makes it more important that we SHOW and BEHAVE with respect and compassion. Simply because we should.

But I am of the opinion that animals are far more intelligent, gentle and respectful than we humans will ever be and so Zafran, you can make up all you want to justify cruelty but humans are the lowset form of life on this earth.

Compassion9

research and make your own mind up.

Shammyshahoo - do you people think for yourselves or just believe everything you are told?

What do you think would happen if people stopped eating meat- the animals would die off and if we were smart about it no more would be born. So what??

Then there would be even more food to feed the hungry in the world whereas millions die every month every year because the majority of grain the world uses to feed animals for food could be used to feed humans.

For goodness sake wake up you silly people! Stop believing in fairytales and do some research.

As for an animal not feeling pain. You have been misled if you think that an animal doesnt feel pain, and further there is NO SCIENTIFIC paper which supports that ridiculous claim. Go and get an education in life.

To even suggest an animal doesnt feel pain is not just stupid but incredibly arrogant of you How dare you say that.

You are believing too much rubbish.

Mixedup

Salaam

You are entitled to your opinion as am I
Animals eat animals is that wrong??? Would a lion enjoy a lettuce?
The world is not black and white and ALLAH(swt) gave us free will as well as his teachings. Under Islam halal meat is allowed and that is all that matters to me.

By the way TheHumbleWun I am unsure how they kill animals on the planet 'Fairyland' where you live but I live in the real world! It has been witnessed in small Muslim enclaves in Spain that sheep are killed by sticking screwdrivers into their necks - how merciful is that?

Dont peddle claptrap to me that halal killing is gentle when I have footage showing animals having their throat slit in full view of other animals, men sawing at the necks of sheep because the blade is blunt, animals screaming before they have a lunatic trying to kill them.

Its your religion!

The examples you pointed are relative to you! What you see in Spain or Egypt might be just the bad apples your eyes are focusing on. God's law is clear. Implement it yourself, be a role model and stop ranting. There many people that cut animals properly the halal way. I've seen it with my own eyes. Your focus has a narrow preception. You seem to care more about animal rights than human rights. Why don't you complain to the U.N. & U.S. government why they are killing innocent human beings every day in Afghanistan, Palestine, Iraq, Darfur, Sudan using painful, cowardly, & unethical tactics?

Do you expect during these times of war for people to look for potatoes & lettuce when their families are being killed, homes are bombarded, and there is no food around to keep them alive, be it vegetables or meat? Your arguement is weak. Please shake yourself & open your eyes. Don't be too content with your complacency. Not everyone in the world has a luxurious life like you, who can pick & choose what they want to eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner. In many cases, they don't have a choice better yet a three course meal.

If you are a human being you should first focus on human beings. Bush is almost trying to extinct the human race in the above countries. Animals worry about themselves, their families, babies, their survival and food. You should focus on innocent humans beings killed every day under your government......have you seen the torture pics in Guantanamo?...They are worse than animal killings! They use devilsh war methods for killing innocent people....yet this doesn't seem to concern you....when they kill you, will animals care about you & how they killed you? They'll probably eat you afterwards!

Throw away your pride and open your mind & heart. I pray that God guides you on the right path. The injustice being carried out on human beings should trickle your heart the very least. If you want to be a vegetarian then be but like the respective members stated...you are killing plants that have feelings too...they are useful in that they give us oxygen....they grow...they die..etc....we can argue you about this too but it would be illogical because God has permitted us to eat it, but don't think you're God and can tell other human beings what they can or can't eat.

Jon_Snow

First of all no manner how you want to do it Halal, Kosher or humane animals will feel pain no matter what. As for the argument that plants feel pain, there is one problem with this logic. In order for something to feel pain, it needs to have a nervous system.

Compassion9

open your eyes

Animal rights in Islam
4/10/2004 7:30:00 AM GMT

I killed a Rabbit by shooting it for the purpose of practicing my aim. I buried it afterward. I deeply regret what I did. What is the Islamic ruling on that?

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

Undoubtedly this action that you did is something which is forbidden according to sharee’ah and is not permitted. This is a form of tormenting animals which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade.

1. It was narrated in the hadeeth from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “A woman was punished for a cat which she imprisoned until it died, and she entered Hell because of that. She did not feed it or give it water when she imprisoned it, and she did not leave it free to eat of the vermin of the earth.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 2236; Muslim, 2242). Al-Nawawi said: the apparent meaning of the hadeeth is that she went to Hell only because of this sin.

2. It was narrated from Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) that he entered upon Yahyaa ibn Sa’eed and one of Yahyaa’s sons had tied up a hen and was shooting at it. Ibn ‘Umar walked over to him and untied it, then he brought it and the boy and said, “Do not allow your boys to tie up birds in order to kill them, for I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbidding the tying up of animals or other creatures in order to kill them.”

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5195; Muslim, 1958. The version narrated by Muslim says, “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed those who do that.”)

3. It says in another hadeeth which was narrated from Ibn ‘Abbaas that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Do not use anything in which there is a soul as a target.” (Narrated by Muslim, 1957).

Al-Nawawi said:

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade detaining or tying up animals (for the purpose of killing them); according to another report, ‘Do not take anything in which there is a soul as a target.’ The scholars said that tying up animals means restraining them whilst they are still alive in order to use them as targets and so on. The words ‘Do not take anything in which there is a soul as a target’ means do not use living animals as targets for shooting as targets made of leather and so on are used. This prohibition means that doing this is haraam. Hence the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, according to the report narrated by Ibn ‘Umar which follows this report: “Allaah cursed the one who does that.” And because it is torturing animals, a waste of their [animals’] lives, a waste of money, causing the animal to die without slaughtering it in the proper Islamic manner if it is an animal whose meat may be eaten, and wasting an animal from which benefit may be derived in other ways if it is an animal whose meat may not be eaten.

You must repent sincerely to Allaah from this deed and seek His forgiveness, and do lots of good deeds so that Allaah will forgive your sin.