what's islam's stance on the NT of bible's apostles?

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2:

i know that there are many biblical prophets mentioned in the quran, but i have never seen the names of the apostles in the new testament like james, peter, paul, thomas to name a few in the quran. what is their status? were they real or myths? why aren't they mentioned in the quran? i have always thought about this but never asked.

i would appreciate your feedback
:wasalam:

Zaynab123

Subhana Allah!
Asalamu alaykum

well, the prophets in the bible and in the quran are the same except the names are prounced differently and spelled differently. for instance YUSUF as JOSEPH, YA"QUB as JACOB, EISA as JESUS, IBRAHIIM as ABRAHAM, etc. about james etc.. i have never seen those names in the quran. they are the ones that wrote the bible. i think they are saints or something. Allahu A'lam(Allah knows)
more from our brothers and sisters insha Allah...:):)

wasalam

muslimah-2k8

Disciples of Christ
----------------------------------------------
Qur'an 3:52-54

When Isa (Jesus) found out that they (most of the
children of Israel) had no faith, he asked: "Who will
help me in the cause of Allah?" The Disciples
replied: "We will help you in the cause of Allah. We
believe in Allah. Be our witness that we are
Muslims."

Then they invoked Allah and said): "Our Rabb! We
believe in what you have revealed and we follow
Your Rasool. Please count us with those who bear
witness."

The unbelievers among the children of Israel plotted
against Isa and Allah also devised a plan to raise
him up, and Allah is the best in planning.

----------------------------
Qur'an 5:114-115

Said Jesus the son of Mary: "O Allah our Lord!
send us from heaven a table set (with viands) that
there may be for us for the first and the last of us a
solemn festival and a sign from Thee; and provide
for our sustenance for Thou art the best Sustainer
(of our needs).

Allah said: "I will send it down unto you: but if any of
you after that resisteth faith I will punish him with a
penalty such as I have not inflicted on anyone
among all the peoples

----------------------------
Qur'an 61:14

O believers! Be the helpers of Allah, just as Isa
(Jesus) the son of Maryam said to his disciples:
"Who will be my helper in the cause of Allah?"
And the disciples responded: "We will be your
helpers in the cause of Allah." Then a group
from the children of Israel believed in him (Isa)
and another group disbelieved. We aided the
believers against their enemies, so they became
victorious.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Prophet Isa (Jesus, peace upon him) served a meal to the Apostles, and when they had eaten it, he himself washed them, and another time he stood up and washed their feet. They said, "It would have been more proper for us to have done this, O Spirit of Allah." Prophet Isa (Jesus, peace upon him) replied, "Verily, it is more fitting for one with knowledge to serve the people. Indeed, I humbled myself only so that you may humble yourselves among the people after me even as I have humbled myself among you."

The conversations of Prophet Isa (Jesus, peace upon him) with the disciples are very interesting. They asked him, "O spirit of Allah, so with whom should we keep company?" Prophet Isa (Jesus, peace upon him) said, "He the sight of whom reminds you of Allah (SWT), his speech increases your knowledge and his action makes you desirous of the other world." And a man asked Prophet Isa (Jesus, peace upon him) the son of Mary, "Which people is the best?" Prophet Isa (Jesus, peace upon him) took two handfuls of earth and said, "Which of these is the best? The people are created from earth, so the most honorable of them is the most God wary.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman

thank you all for your answers, but what i meant is these specific people

paul
james
john
peter

i wanted to know about them in islam because if you really debate christians, the majority of them use quotes from these apostles to validate ISA ( AS ) as their god ( authu billah ).

jaffarabduraheem

Not afraid of you.
While the companions of Isa (alayhi salaam) are never named in the Qur'an, they were real and there were probably 12 main ones. I'll try to remember them as named in the NT. Matthew; John; Peter; Andrew; Thomas; Judas; (I was able to remember 6 before I had to look it up) James; Philip; Bartholomew; Simon; Thaddeus; and James.

The names of Mark and Luke are alternate names of two of the above (which ones I forget). The most important so called apostle is Paul since most Christians today follow what is known as the Pauline doctrine.

Before Paul was "Christian" he was called Saul of Tarsus and his profession was killing Christians. He claims that on the road to Damascus to kill some Christians he was seized by a blinding light and received a revelation from Jesus (then dead for over 200 years) who changed his name to Paul, deputized him as an apostle and sent him on his new mission.

This mission lead to the parts after the synoptic gospels in the NT (those books being Matthew; Mark; and Luke) not including Acts and the Gospel According to John. The Epistles of Paul detail what Jesus supposedly told him to do and include such puzzling articles as, "For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God."

The reason I say such things are puzzling is that Jesus says, "For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled." This means that Paul is saying Christians don't need to follow the law (the English word for Torah or Tawrah, the law of the Jews) while Jesus is saying they do. Who is right?

As for the quotes of the people who name this or that apostle and say what he says in the Bible, quote the words of Jesus in the Bible. "Not everyone who says to me Lord, Lord will enter the kingdom of heaven. Only through the Father." "Why do you call me good? There is only one who is good and that is the Father." Consider his prayer, "OUR Father who art in heaven." Not MY Father. Not ME as your Father. Our Father.

I'm all tapped out now. :salam2:

Mohsin

abdu'Allah

Brother the reason is very simple. Those whom you mentioned from the OT were either Messengers or Prophets. The mentioning of the companions of the prophets is in the Quran but their specific names are not mentioned.

Take Musa (PBUH) for example, he is mentioned by name in the Quran but his compinions like Joshua were not mentioned by name likewise Isa (PBUH) is mentioned by name but his companions or desciples like James, Peter are not mentioned by name in the Quran.

Mohsin

abdu'Allah
Paul was Munafiq, he was killed by Constantine, because of his hypocrisy. Constantine was the creator of Christianity, so miss Nyerekareem could mention Taddeus, Petrus, James, Barnabas and John but not Paul.
Assalamu'alaikum wa rahmatullaah
Paul was not killed by Constantine as Constantine came long after Paul died. According to the traditions Paul died around the mid 60s C.E., during the reign of Nero and Constantine was born in 280 C.E.

BigAk

While the companions of Isa (alayhi salaam) are never named in the Qur'an, they were real and there were probably 12 main ones. I'll try to remember them as named in the NT. Matthew; John; Peter; Andrew; Thomas; Judas; (I was able to remember 6 before I had to look it up) James; Philip; Bartholomew; Simon; Thaddeus; and James.

The names of Mark and Luke are alternate names of two of the above (which ones I forget). The most important so called apostle is Paul since most Christians today follow what is known as the Pauline doctrine.

Before Paul was "Christian" he was called Saul of Tarsus and his profession was killing Christians. He claims that on the road to Damascus to kill some Christians he was seized by a blinding light and received a revelation from Jesus (then dead for over 200 years) who changed his name to Paul, deputized him as an apostle and sent him on his new mission.

This mission lead to the parts after the synoptic gospels in the NT (those books being Matthew; Mark; and Luke) not including Acts and the Gospel According to John. The Epistles of Paul detail what Jesus supposedly told him to do and include such puzzling articles as, "For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God."

The reason I say such things are puzzling is that Jesus says, "For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled." This means that Paul is saying Christians don't need to follow the law (the English word for Torah or Tawrah, the law of the Jews) while Jesus is saying they do. Who is right?

As for the quotes of the people who name this or that apostle and say what he says in the Bible, quote the words of Jesus in the Bible. "Not everyone who says to me Lord, Lord will enter the kingdom of heaven. Only through the Father." "Why do you call me good? There is only one who is good and that is the Father." Consider his prayer, "OUR Father who art in heaven." Not MY Father. Not ME as your Father. Our Father.

I'm all tapped out now. :salam2:

Excellent answer... I will be using your knowledge... Jazak Allah khair... :D

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman

Brother the reason is very simple. Those whom you mentioned from the OT were either Messengers or Prophets. The mentioning of the companions of the prophets is in the Quran but their specific names are not mentioned.

Take Musa (PBUH) for example, he is mentioned by name in the Quran but his compinions like Joshua were not mentioned by name likewise Isa (PBUH) is mentioned by name but his companions or desciples like James, Peter are not mentioned by name in the Quran.

i understand what you are saying, but do we see these people of having once existed?

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
They are not 12. The 12 was derived from the zodiac in the belief of Sabian, because Almasihu 'Isa ibnu Maryam religion changed them from Pagan to Sabian. So, that was what happen said ibn Taimiyah in Jawab Ash Shahih, thou could open the search to find the thread.

They are Petrus , James the Yeshua's ('Isa) brother (akhi), Andreas, Tomas, Taddeus, barnabas, Nathanael bar Thalmai, Martha, Zacchaeus, Mathias, Jude, Simon.

Offcourse they existed if not , man Hawariyyuna fil Qur'ani?

Assalamu'alaikum wa rahmatullaah

let me clarify what i meant. for some reason i'm having a hard time doing that.

when dealing in debates with christians, the majority of the biblical text that they use to legitimize the lordship of Jesus ( audhu billah ) is from the writings of peter and paul. since they aren't specifically mentioned in the quran, they say that we muslims intentionally kicked them out to hide the truth about Jesus ( AS )

Mohsin

abdu'Allah

i understand what you are saying, but do we see these people of having once existed?
Yes brother it is the same about the desciples of both the Prophets, Musa (PBUH) and Isa (PBUH). You have to read tafsir for more information. They surely existed, Quran is a proof.

http://www.tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=5&tid=13621

http://www.tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=3&tid=8317

http://www.tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=5&tid=14930

http://www.tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=61&tid=53726

http://www.tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=36&tid=43411

Mohsin

abdu'Allah

let me clarify what i meant. for some reason i'm having a hard time doing that.

when dealing in debates with christians, the majority of the biblical text that they use to legitimize the lordship of Jesus ( audhu billah ) is from the writings of peter and paul. since they aren't specifically mentioned in the quran, they say that we muslims intentionally kicked them out to hide the truth about Jesus ( AS )
Paul never met Jesus is a well known fact. Brother its not just us Muslims who say that Paul was a hypocrit but you can find many Christian writers who wrote extensivly on the issue of Paul and his negative role. There were many Jewish writers as well who did this. I can even refer you the books by Hyam McCoby, a Jewish writer on this issue where he clearly proves how Paul differed from the real desciples of Jesus. You can take a look at books like The Mythmaker: Paul and the Invention of Christianity, and Revolution in Judaea: Jesus and the Jewish Resistance by the author.

I quote some words from the Catholic Encyclopedia to show that how even the Catholics feel that Paul had a problem.
St. Paul decides that it is by faith, and says: "Therefore they that are of faith shall be justified with faithful Abraham". It is clear that this language, taken by itself, and apart from the absolute necessity of good works upheld by St. Paul, is liable to mislead and actually has misled many in the history of the Church. Hence, in order to appreciate to the full the Catholic doctrine of faith, we must supplement St. Paul by St. James. In ii, 17-22, of the Catholic Epistle we read: "So faith also, if it have not works, is dead in itself. But some man will say: Thou hast faith, and I have works, show me thy faith without works, and I will show thee by works my faith. Thou believest that there is one God. Thou dost well; the devils also believe and tremble. But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? Was not Abraham our father justified by works, and by works faith was made perfect?"

Source
Its not we who have kicked him out on the contrary it is they who have to keep Paul because it was only him, the self righteous, self appointed apostle of Jesus sent to the gentiles. His begining as an apostle is a proof of his differring from Jesus as Jesus told his desciples not to go to anyone else except Jews. His disputes with Jesus' real desciples are even there in the NT for everyone to see.