Somali Pirates hijack a Saudi Owned Ship

Salem9022

Today in piracy: Pirates hijack Saudi-owned oil tanker; world crude prices up

967068.bin

Somali pirates have captured a fully laden Saudi supertanker far off east Africa, seizing the biggest vessel ever hijacked with a cargo of oil worth over $100-million in an attack that pushed world crude prices higher.

The U.S. Fifth Fleet said the Sirius Star was being taken to the pirate haven of Eyl, in northern Somalia, on Monday.

The hijacking of the Saudi Aramco-owned vessel on Sunday is certain to add to pressure for concerted international action to tackle the growing threat posed by pirates from anarchic Somalia to one of the world’s busiest shipping routes.

“This is unprecedented. It’s the largest ship that we’ve seen pirated,” said Lieutenant Nathan Christensen, a spokesman for the Fifth Fleet. “It’s three times the size of an aircraft carrier.”

The Sirius Star held as much as two million barrels of oil — more than one quarter of Saudi Arabia’s daily exports. The hijacking helped lift global oil prices over $1 to more than $58 a barrel, although they later lost some gains.

The hijacking on Sunday, 450 nautical miles (830 km) southeast of Mombasa, Kenya, was in an area far beyond the Gulf of Aden, where most of the attacks on shipping have taken place and where foreign navies have begun patrols.

The pirates have been getting bolder. The Sirius Star had been heading for the United States via the Cape of Good Hope at the southern tip of Africa, skirting the continent instead of heading through the Gulf of Aden and then the Suez Canal. The ship, at 318,000 deadweight tons, was the largest ever captured by pirates.

There were no reports of damage, Christensen said. He declined to say if the U.S. navy was considering taking action to rescue the tanker, which had 25 crew from Croatia, Britain, the Philippines, Poland and Saudi Arabia. “We are evaluating the situation,” he said.

Chaos onshore in Somalia, where Islamist forces are fighting a Western-backed government, has spawned a wave of piracy. Shipowners have paid out millions of dollars in ransoms.

Northern Somalia’s breakaway Puntland region, where Eyl is located, was on the lookout for the ship. Authorities there have said they can do little to stop ships being seized.

“It has not entered Puntland’s waters so far,” Abdulqadir Muse Yusuf, the assistant minister for fisheries, told Reuters.

Well over 60 vessels have been hijacked this year, driving up shipping insurance premiums and pushing some vessels to take longer routes between Asia and Europe than passing through the Suez Canal — potentially increasing the cost of traded goods.

Among the vessels seized is one with 33 tanks on board.

British thinktank Chatham House warned in a report last month of the danger a tanker could come under attack.

“As pirates become bolder and use ever more powerful weaponry a tanker could be set on fire, sunk or forced ashore, any of which could result in an environmental catastrophe that would devastate marine and bird life for years to come,” it said.

“The pirates’ aim is to extort ransom payments and to date that has been their main focus; however, the possibility that they could destroy shipping is very real.”
The NATO alliance and the European Union have scrambled to provide patrols in the Gulf of Aden and Indian Ocean waterways off Somalia. The United States and France, which have bases nearby, are also helping, while Russia has sent a warship too.

The Sirius Star is Liberian-flagged, and owned and operated by state oil giant Saudi Aramco’s shipping unit Vela International. The vessel was launched in March.

Incidents in the last week:
*The Sirius Star, with 25 crew from Croatia, Britain, the Philippines, Poland and Saudi Arabia, was attacked 450 nautical miles southeast of Mombasa, Kenya, the U.S. Navy said on Monday. It is the first tanker to have been seized in the area. The vessel can carry up to two million barrels of crude oil.

*A Russian navy patrol boat scared off pirates who tried to capture the Saudi Arabian merchant ship Rabih in the Gulf of Aden on Sunday, the Russian navy told Interfax.

*On Saturday, a Japanese cargo ship was reported seized by pirates off Somalia. It was carrying 23 sailors, including five South Koreans, Yonhap said.

*A Chinese fishing boat was reported seized off the Kenyan coast late on Thursday. The crew included 15 Chinese, one Taiwanese, one Japanese, three Filipinos and four Vietnamese.

*The Karagol, a Turkish ship with 14 crew, was hijacked off Yemen. It was transporting chemicals to the port of Bombay.

Scale of piracy:
*Intelligence sources say three suspicious trawlers now in the Gulf of Aden are believed to be pirate mother vessels.

*The International Maritime Bureau said a total of 199 incidents of piracy or attempted piracy were reported worldwide between January and September, of which 63 were in the Gulf of Aden and off the Somali coast.

*Recent attacks have brought the anti-terrorist Combined Task Force 150 into action. The multinational unit, part of Washington’s Operation Enduring Freedom, is based in Djibouti and has come to the aid of many ships attacked.

Impact:
*Major operators of the world’s merchant shipping — carrying some 90% of the world’s traded goods by volume — are considering by-passing the Gulf of Aden and Suez Canal altogether.

*Industry experts say the alternative trade route, round South Africa’s Cape of Good Hope, would add some three weeks or more to a typical journey, pushing up costs for goods.

Traffic:
*Exports from the Gulf and Asia to the West cross the region on the way to Suez Canal. Nearly 20,000 ships pass through the Gulf of Aden each year.

*7% of world oil consumption passed through the Gulf of Aden in 2007, according to Lloyd’s Marine Intelligence Unit, including around 30% of Europe’s consumption.

*The area is also the main trade route for dry commodities and manufactured goods between Asia, Europe and the Americas.

© Thomson Reuters 2008

Photo: Saudi-owned crude oil supertanker Sirius Star is seen in this photograph taken in Rotterdam on October 17, 2008. Pirates who hijacked the Sirius Star off the east coast of Africa are taking the vessel towards a Somali port. (Adri Schouten/Reuters)

Salem9022

what is the Punishment of those who strive to make mischief and disorder in the world?

5:33 The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger, and strive with might and main for mischief through the land is: execution, or crucifixion, or the cutting off of hands and feet from opposite sides, or exile from the land: that is their disgrace in this world, and a heavy punishment is theirs in the Hereafter;

5:34 Except for those who repent before they fall into your power: in that case, know that Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.

5:38 As to the thief, Male or female, cut off his or her hands: a punishment by way of example, from Allah, for their crime: and Allah is Exalted in power.

5:But if the thief repents after his crime, and amends his conduct, Allah turneth to him in forgiveness; for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.

AlQurtubi

Banned
What I think is that a ground is being prepared for a war in africa now. Its very similar to what was done in afghanistan.

We need to dig down deep before we claim every thing on PIRATES

Salaam,

Everytime I read about these 'pirate' stories, it just makes me laugh. It reminds me of Peter Pan and the Pirates of the Carribean LOL.

Here you have these poor Somalians with low-budget artillary weapons, capturing & taking huge ships, such as the Sirius Star. I think it's a lesson to rich countries & their leaders who have abundant resources & wealth but does not share them with the rest of the world nor care about their brothers & sisters in other parts of the world.

Like "terrorists," I just hope "pirates" are not used by Western tyrants to go to Africa & start a war there.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
Salaam,

Everytime I read about these 'pirate' stories, it just makes me laugh. It reminds me of Peter Pan and the Pirates of the Carribean LOL.

Here you have these poor Somalians with low-budget artillary weapons, capturing & taking huge ships, such as the Sirius Star. I think it's a lesson to rich countries & their leaders who have abundant resources & wealth but does not share them with the rest of the world nor care about their brothers & sisters in other parts of the world.

Like "terrorists," I just hope "pirates" are not used by Western tyrants to go to Africa & start a war there.

As-salaamu `alaykum.

It sounds so funny, I know. I saw one newspaper article titled "Pirates of the Indian Ocean" was written in the style of the logo for "Pirates of the Carribean". As funny as it seems, a gang of Somalians on small wooden fisherman boats, hijacking big tankers(!), there are more serious concerns, which have been mentioned in the thread already; using this as a grounds for war in Africa as well as the actions of these Somalians...

abuayesha

What I think is that a ground is being prepared for a war in africa now. Its very similar to what was done in afghanistan.

We need to dig down deep before we claim every thing on PIRATES

Assalaamu Alaikum warahmathullaahi wabarakaathuhu

Very soon, our people will say that these pirates are not terrorists, they are Mujaahideen. They will also declare JIHAAD against ......

These terrorists should be handled severely. All peace loving states should come together to get rid of enemies of humanity.

Wassalaam

Mohsin

abdu'Allah
:salam2:

An Update

Somali Islamists 'hunt pirates'
Somali Islamist insurgents have begun searching for the pirates who hijacked a giant Saudi-owned oil tanker last Saturday, reports say.
A spokesman for the al-Shabab group, Abdelghafar Musa, said hijacking a Muslim-owned ship was a major crime and they would pursue those responsible.
The pirates are thought to be trying to obtain a multi-million dollar ransom.
The ship, the Sirius Star, is believed to be be anchored off the Somali port of Haradheere.
It has an international crew of 25 people and is carrying $100m (£67m) worth of crude oil.

'Show of force'
"We are really sorry to hear that the Saudi ship has been held in Somalia," Mr Musa told the Associated Press.
"We will fight them."
Reports said Islamist fighters had descended on Haradheere in an apparent show of force, saying they were looking for the pirates.
"The Islamists arrived searching for the pirates and the whereabouts of the Saudi ship," an unnamed elder in the port told Reuters news agency.
"I saw four cars full of Islamists driving in the town from corner to corner. The Islamists say they will attack the pirates for hijacking a Muslim ship."
Another report suggested local militia and Shebab fighters had arrived in Harardhere in a move to position themselves for a share of any spoils. "There are many militiamen who have arrived in the town and they want to get a share from the pirates if the ransom is paid," Ahmed Abdullahi, a local elder, was quoted by AFP news agency as saying. Meanwhile, Kenya reported on Friday that Somali pirates had been paid more than $150m (£101m) in ransoms in the past 12 months.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7743204.stm

q8penpals

Assalam aliekum

Living in the Middle East, I see frequent reports of pirates hijacking boats, yachts, ships, etc. Mostly, the pirates rob the boats and leave them, or demand money (ransom) in order to release the people. The only reason this one made big news is because it was an oil tanker. Unfortunately, like many other crimes, these attacks on basic boats (about a year ago, an couple in their 60s was traveling around the world in their boat and was held hostage by pirates in the red sea) go un noticed to the larger world population.

I don't think that we should take any crimes lightly and laugh about them.

Lana

Muslim18

Blessed Muslimah
Asalamu alaykum

I just have to say one thing why is it the media always has to mention the race of the criminals and then the blame and shame then falls on the rest of the somali people its disgraceful that people's crimes are also a target on race and ethnicity. What the somali "pirates" did was totally wrong subhanallah have these people become soo desperate they rob from their brothers of islam subhanallah i just hope they get caught escpecially now its effecting everyone else (oil prices) :angryred:

wa salam :hijabi:

mahdi

salaam

For long time the world has neglected the situation in somalia. suddenly things have changed, not because people were killed but because of piracy. for long time no one cared about the monarchy in somalia, but now it has become a problem for the whole world. I don't really favor the pirates, but what they have done recently has made the world wonder about the future of Somalia. And now i am again hopeful that the world would do something about the unrest in somalia.

Muslim18

Blessed Muslimah
For long time the world has neglected the situation in somalia. suddenly things have changed, not because people were killed but because of piracy. for long time no one cared about the monarchy in somalia, but now it has become a problem for the whole world. I don't really favor the pirates, but what they have done recently has made the world wonder about the future of Somalia. And now i am again hopeful that the world would do something about the unrest in somalia.

The world may have noticed somalia but as for them helping thats a far reach from the truth, i too hope peace will come in my land but the only people we can trust to make a real difference is ourselves as Allah has said he will not change the condition of the people untill they change inside themselves first.
So inshallah i hope their can rise up a fair and rightious leader that can help us, we can not depend on the rest of the world to help us if we dont help ourselves!

:wasalam:

abuayesha

An Update

Somali Islamist insurgents have begun searching for the pirates who hijacked a giant Saudi-owned oil tanker last Saturday, reports say.

Emphasis is from my side!

See how the western media brain-wash our brothers and sisters. Brother Mohsin too uses "Somali Islamist insurgents".

Islaam has nothing to do with insurgency. Our beloved Prophet sallallaahu alaihi wasallam instructed to his (sallallaahu alaihi wasallam) soldiers not to kill women, children, preachers of other religions, unarmed etc..etc..

We should, dear brothers and sisters, very careful when we are reproducing other's stories. Without any feeling, we tent to make mistakes when we cut and paste. Please do not take this offensive, take this as an advice. Unless we safeguard our interests no one will bother.

Wassalaam

Mohsin

abdu'Allah

Emphasis is from my side!

See how the western media brain-wash our brothers and sisters. Brother Mohsin too uses "Somali Islamist insurgents".

Islaam has nothing to do with insurgency. Our beloved Prophet sallallaahu alaihi wasallam instructed to his (sallallaahu alaihi wasallam) soldiers not to kill women, children, preachers of other religions, unarmed etc..etc..

We should, dear brothers and sisters, very careful when we are reproducing other's stories. Without any feeling, we tent to make mistakes when we cut and paste. Please do not take this offensive, take this as an advice. Unless we safeguard our interests no one will bother.

Wassalaam
I take your advice positively brother but just want to clear my part that I copied word to word from BBC as I dont want to be unjust with copy pasting. You said I used such words when you know that those were not my words. :astag: I don't understand how copy pasting makes me a western media brain-washed ?

Muslim18

Blessed Muslimah

Brothers make peace you both probably misunderstood eachother maybe brother mohsin wanted to post an unedited news report so we could discuss this issue and brother abuayesha must have misunderstood it for him typing it hope you both dont fall our over this you both are brothers in islam so love eachother:hearts:

abuayesha

An Update

A spokesman for the al-Shabab group, Abdelghafar Musa, said hijacking a Muslim-owned ship was a major crime and they would pursue those responsible.
The pirates are thought to be trying to obtain a multi-million dollar ransom.
The ship, the Sirius Star, is believed to be be anchored off the Somali port of Haradheere.
It has an international crew of 25 people and is carrying $100m (£67m) worth of crude oil.

'Show of force'
"We are really sorry to hear that the Saudi ship has been held in Somalia," Mr Musa told the Associated Press.
"We will fight them."
Reports said Islamist fighters had descended on Haradheere in an apparent show of force, saying they were looking for the pirates.
"The Islamists arrived searching for the pirates and the whereabouts of the Saudi ship," an unnamed elder in the port told Reuters news agency.
"I saw four cars full of Islamists driving in the town from corner to corner. The Islamists say they will attack the pirates for hijacking a Muslim ship."
Another report suggested local militia and Shebab fighters had arrived in Harardhere in a move to position themselves for a share of any spoils. "There are many militiamen who have arrived in the town and they want to get a share from the pirates if the ransom is paid," Ahmed Abdullahi, a local elder, was quoted by AFP news agency as saying. Meanwhile, Kenya reported on Friday that Somali pirates had been paid more than $150m (£101m) in ransoms in the past 12 months.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7743204.stm

Brother Mohsin, you know what misled me to have my post entered, that in your post you did not mention a word "QUOTE" and at the end "UNQUOTE".

Now it is clear you did not mean it. Alhamdulillaah. I apologize if my wording offended you. Please forgive for the sake of Allaah.

Wassalaam

Mohsin

abdu'Allah

Brother Mohsin, you know what misled me to have my post entered, that in your post you did not mention a word "QUOTE" and at the end "UNQUOTE".

Now it is clear you did not mean it. Alhamdulillaah. I apologize if my wording offended you. Please forgive for the sake of Allaah.

Wassalaam
:wasalam: Brother,

Misunderstanding is now gone my brother. I too apologise for taking it a little too seriously, forgive me too for the sake of Allah. :shake:

Reconciliation between believers is a mean of mercy from Allah.

Hannan89

Today pirates, tommorow..?

salam,

I agree that it is rather amusing to hear all this talk about pirates in the news these days. Just a correction there is no monarchy in Somalia, the country is run by the TGF a so called transitional government consiting of warlords that is funded and backed by the United States and Ethiopia, Somalia's long time rival. The situation in Somalia is quite depressing and has been for nearly two decades. The US and other international powers have not been neglecting the situation, rather they have been meddling in Somalia's business for countless years breaking down any intiatives to peace. The most recent example is the 2006-2007 war (that is still ongoing) against the UIC, or "islamic insurgents" as they are often labelled.

The situation right now in Somalia is not one that is very different from Afghanistan right now or Lebanon in the summer of '06. Its important as muslims that we educate ourselves and not be fooled into buying into labels that have been created and maintained for very specific reasons.

Anyway my point is that the Somali coast line has not been protected for many many years and many coutries have taken advantage of this. What has resulted is a type of free for all. Everything form exploiting fisheries to dumping nuclear wastes in Somali waters. Also there are a great deal of arms that come in through the Gulf of Aden into Somalia and other East African nations. The so called pirates attempts to stop any of these types of activies are basically ignored in popular media and all you hear of are cruise ships and what not being captured. These people are in a sense taking the law in to their own hands, because at the end of the day no body else is looking after the Somali people's best interests.

So please, understand the issue in its entirety before making assumptions and being so quick to pass judgement

Wassalam

AhmedT

Ethiopia's policy towards Somalia

Ethiopia's policy towards Somalia
a) Historical background of relations
The relation between Ethiopia and Somalia has not been a healthy one. In the recent historical period, one major and one lesser war were fought between the two countries. The empty dream of the so-called "Greater Somalia", an expansionist policy, had brought to Somalia nothing but hostility and conflicts with all its neighbors, especially Ethiopia. Moreover, Somalia had always allied with all groups and countries it believed were anti-Ethiopian and had disturbed Ethiopia's peace. On the other hand, Ethiopian Somalis had resisted the oppressive system in Ethiopia. Related to this, Somalia had succeeded in mobilizing a large number of Ethiopian Somalis as allays in its attempt to execute its expansionist policy. In this regard Ethiopia has been exposed to threats emanating from Somalia and other quarters.
Ethiopia, for its part, rather than responding to the threat by respecting the right of Ethiopian Somalis and by fostering brotherhood between the peoples of Ethiopia, so Ethiopian Somalis could live in voluntary unity with their other fellow Ethiopians, resorted to dismantling Somalia to the extent possible. The policy was to respond to Somali aggression by taking the war to Somalia and, along the way, aggravating the contradiction between the Somali clans.
The situation has now fundamentally changed. The "Greater Somalia" ideology has been discredited. It is now over ten years since Somalia has become stateless. On the other hand, in Ethiopia, a constitution in which peoples' rights are guaranteed is being implemented. Ethiopian Somalis are living in brotherhood and voluntary unity with other Ethiopians in a newly defined, inclusive Ethiopian identity. Together with other Ethiopians, Ethio-Somalis are, in the spirit of equality, democracy, development and an Ethiopian identity, resting on strong foundations and contributing to the building of the country. Ethiopia's vulnerability to the "Greater Somalia" ideology has been greatly diminished.
On the other hand, the disintegration of Somalia has in itself brought ever-growing danger. The crisis in Somalia has allowed religious extremism to take hold. Somalia has become a haven and conduit for terrorists and extremists. Anti-peace elements are using the country as a base and place of transit in order to threaten Ethiopia's peace. Somalia's disintegration has brought danger to the peace in our country.
b) Significance of the relations
There is no condition whereby Somalia could contribute as a source of investment and financial development or as a significant market for Ethiopia. After a process of some length, followed by peace and stability in Somalia, there is the chance that it could become a significant market, but this is difficult to imagine in the short and medium term. Regarding natural resources, all the big rivers in Somalia flow from Ethiopia. The irrigation schemes in Somalia which effectively served the people are in a poor state. On the other hand, as our country steps up its development, we will have to dam the rivers for irrigation purposes. The harnessing of rivers in Ethiopia can help Somalia resist floods, and so the benefit would be mutual. But on the other hand, these rivers could be used in Ethiopia - mainly in the Somali region - for development purposes. This could create a minor conflict but the problem can be tackled by the principle of give and take in a way that takes into account the national interests of the two countries.
As can be understood from the above, in the short and medium terms, Somalia does not have a positive or negative influence of note in the development of our country. And yet, in Somalia there are numerous ports that can provide services to Ethiopia. Starting from the port of Zeila which gave services to Ethiopia during its long history, all the way to Kismayo, there are no less than seven ports in Somalia that can be used by different parts of our country. These possibilities could significantly contribute to our development, but due to the "Greater Somalia"-driven conflict and national oppression in Ethiopia, they were never seriously considered (not to forget that Ethiopia had ports of its own). The current collapse of the state in Somalia makes it unrealistic to think of using the ports at the present time.
Even if the chances to use the ports were to arise, and though that would increase Somalia's relevance to our development, one cannot see a positive role that Somalia can play at this time. On the negative side, it is worth noting that the disintegration of Somalia has posed dangers for peace and stability in Ethiopia. This situation has spoilt the image of our sub-region, and the Horn is now perceived as an area of conflict. Our chances to attract investment have been reduced and the "Somalia effect" has contributed to the uncertainty about regional peace and the lack of economic linkages between the two countries.
c) Policy Direction
Our proximity to Somalia would be beneficial to our development if there were peace and stability in Somalia. Peace can come to our region if a government committed to fighting disorder, terrorism and extremism in cooperation with its neighbours is established in Somalia. Some circles say that the establishment of such a government in Somalia would once again resuscitate the ideology of "Greater Somalia" and that peace, democracy and development in Somalia would, in that case, not benefit Ethiopia. This view is fundamentally wrong and dangerous. First, of all, from now onwards, our country safeguards the unity of its peoples not by denying them options but by helping them recognise and confirm in practice, the option based on equality, mutual development and democracy.
As a result of this, we have created the condition whereby Ethiopian Somalis, no matter whether the ideology of "Greater Somalia" is revived or not, would choose to live in equality and unity with their other Ethiopian brothers and sisters. As our development and democratisation process gains momentum, our vulnerability to the effects of this and other similar slogans will be much reduced. Furthermore, it should be underscored that, since it has been the cause of much suffering first and foremost to the people of Somalia, this slogan of "Greater Somalia" has been discredited and its chances of revival are indeed very slim. In light of the encouraging political and economic situation in Ethiopia, the fact that Somalis live in both countries would actually ensure that they serve as a bridge that creates strong connections between the two countries, rather than as a factor of suspicion.
On the contrary, if Somalia enjoys peace and democracy, we will have the opportunity to use the Somali ports extensively and continuously and this would contribute to our development significantly. Such a situation would make it possible, in alliance with the new government, to stamp out anti-peace activities originating from Somalia. Both countries can work together to jointly develop river utilization plans. The way would also be clear to promote strong educational and cultural ties and interdependence in light of the educational and other related activities that are carried out in the Somali language within the Somali Region of our country. By creating strong relations between the two countries regarding the use of ports and rivers, commerce, culture and so on, and seeing to it that the two peoples are benefiting from this, one could be sure that the peoples would resist activities designed to harm the relations that are proving to be so beneficial to them. Ethiopia would also gain direct economic advantages from this situation; in addition, when Ethiopia's eastern border ceases to be a source of threat, overall economic development would be enhanced. That is why, at this time, our major objective in Somalia is to see the establishment of peace and democracy, and based on that, the development of strong economic, cultural and political ties between the two countries.
This may be our wish and policy, but peace and democracy cannot be realised through our efforts only. Although we will do all in our power to contribute to the peace and stability of Somalia, as it is in our interest to do so, the responsibility to establish peace in that country principally rests on the Somali people and the political forces there. In addition to this, those external forces which can influence events should see to it that they use their authority to contribute to bringing about peace and democracy in Somalia.
The events of the last ten years in Somalia have not been encouraging, but we should not give up hope that peace and democracy will eventually come to Somalia. The country has disintegrated into different areas, and while some are comparatively, calm others are in continuous turmoil. Those who reap benefits from the absence of authority - a number of Somali groups, some traders, religious extremists, and their foreign friends - are bent on sabotaging in one way or another any effort aimed at bringing about peace in Somalia. Although the Somali people long for peace, they have not been able to break out of the web of obstruction put in place by those who oppose peace and change. Although the international community wishes to bring about peace in Somalia, it is evidently not ready to exert all its efforts to realise this. Thus, it appears to us that the condition of instability in Somalia is likely to persist for some time. Therefore, our policy should not be limited to contributing to the emergence of peace and democracy only and, based on that, to forging strong ties; rather, it should also address what we should do if instability and turmoil persist.
Our fundamental policy remains to persistently work towards the birth of a peaceful and democratic Somalia. But in light of the continuing instability, the policy we pursue should essentially be a damage-limitation policy to ensure that the instability does not further harm our country, the region and the people of Somalia. If the instability is not stopped, the only option left is to limit the damage that may be caused. There are three main options to limit the damage.
First, we have to try to help those regions which are comparatively stable and do not shelter extremists and terrorists in order that the relative peace they enjoy is maintained and even strengthened. Those that can be mentioned in this regard are the regions known as Somaliland and Puntland. In the spirit of damage limitation and to assist these regions maintain their stability, it is necessary that the links be strengthened in such areas as trade, transport and the like in the interest of our country and the people inhabiting the region. The question could be raised regarding the recognition of Somaliland as an independent state. Taking this initiative is not preferable to Ethiopia because it would create negative feelings on the part of Somalis living in the rest of Somalia and others would be suspicious of our intent. Therefore, our cooperation with these regions should not include recognizing the regional administrations as independent states. But we should continue to assist these regions in maintaining peace and stability, as it is to our advantage and the benefit of the peoples living in the area.
Secondly, we shall certainly continue to be exposed to various dangers as long as peace and stability elude Somalia as a whole. In recognition of this, we must create the capability to defend ourselves and foil any attack by forces of extremism, terrorism and other anti-peace elements originating in Somalia. In this regard we must always be vigilant.
Thirdly, we have to work in cooperation with the Somali people in the region, and the international community as a whole, to weaken and neutralize those forces coming from any part of Somalia to perpetrate attacks against our country. Obviously, the solution to all of this is the prevalence of democracy, and everything must be done to assist in reaching this solution. At the same time, however, we need to receive the understanding and support of the people of Somalia and the international community regarding what we are facing. While maintaining the principle of non-interference in the internal affairs of Somalia, we have to ensure our right to safeguard our peace and defend ourselves.

Hannan89

Terrorists?

Salam,

Brother, there are countless points in your argument that I would like to address, but to understand where youre comming from I will ask you a few questions. Who are these so called terrorist organizations and groups that you are referring to? the UIC? Who has set labelled them a terrorist organization?

You spoke of the importance of establishing peace and democracy in Somalia. So does that mean the TFG's rule is a democratic? Or that they have the support of the Somali people behind them?