CNN's HAJJ 2008 COVERAGE

reversion

Dear sisters and brothers,
I just saw that a reporter by the name of ARWA DAMON has been reporting this year's Hajj from Mecca for CNN. I think that she is not a Muslim but I don't know.
Her mother is Syrian and her father is American. She is a graduate of Robert College in Istanbul, Turkey. By the looks of her
I remember reading in the Quran that non-Muslims shouldn't be allowed in Mecca. If this CNN reporter has lied to the Saudi Government in order to grant her entry to Mecca, what a shame! I heard that Saudi Government cannot issue visas to everyone during Hajj season due to high demand. It seems to me that this lady has stolen the right to pilgrimage from a believing Muslim and CNN should be held accountable along with her.
I have seen this question on other web sites and everybody seems to be confused. She appears to be a bit out of place among the pilgrims especially with the way she just throws the hijab over her head and complains about the clothing requirement at some point in one specific video.
I just sent an e-mail to CNN, I hope they can provide me with an explanation.
Does anyone know anything about this issue?
Thanks and salam :)

abdellah007

salam alayum

I know that non muslims are not allowed to enter mecca, as her mother is surian so she has an islamic roots, anyway May allah makes this experience a good impact in her life and turn herself to Islam IF she is not at the moment.

reversion

i think one of her crew members (the cameraman i think) isn't muslim either... and at some point they talk about not having eaten anything for lunch.

i don't know what to think of this but i have been doing some research about this lady. it looks like she has been trying to create sensationalist stories in order to make a name for herself and has a shady track record.

it's true, we should hope that she learned something from her trip to mecca.

soeurette

I'm a little shocked, I usually watch coverage on Hajj every year, this was probably the worst I've ever seen, I don't know about the rest of it, but it doesn't look like they really want to be there and are just there bc they happen to fit the muslim criteria to go
As for the cameraman we don't know that, bc just his name isn't muslim doesn't mean he isn't muslim per se.

ed209

i once read the description of a German writer. He said when he was in Mecca,he was not a muslim. But after seeing the hajj, he converted into Islam. I think non-muslims r not enter into Mecca is 100% no problem, but if it's a chance for anyone to embrace the Truth, it's not a bad thing. Allah knows best, may He protect us and guide anyone who is seeking the Truth. Ameen.

reversion

whether they are "muslim" or not, i just think they look disrespectful or something... i don't mean to be judgmental though.

BinDre

Bored
Let's not jump into bad conclusion, maybe they are non practising muslim. We do not know what inside their heart.

reversion

i e-mailed cnn about the issue not to jump to conclusions, i haven't received an answer yet. i will let you guys know if i ever hear from them...

just a thought:
perhaps more ppl should write to them about how they feel and ask cnn+the reporter to clarify the situation. perhaps they would give an answer if there are more of us e-mailing them.

Abu Abdillah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Perhaps She is a non-practising Muslim but she has to be one in order to enter Makkah.

As she covered hajj 2008 for CNN, she either is a Muslim or she has lied to the Saudi Government (forged documents, etc.) in order to have permission to enter Makkah.

If she did lie, that's very disrespectful, both on her side and that off CNN's part.

Also, due to high demand the Saudi Government cannot grant visas to everyone who wants to perform Hajj.

If she lied to report from Makkah this means she also stole the right of Hajj from a real Muslim who actually wants to be there for the right reasons.

So, Insha Allah we hope she is a Muslim. Make dua Allah Guides her Insha Allah to the true understanding of Islam. And hope she benfitted from the Khutbah of Shaykh Aal-Ashaykh.. As he gave some excellent piece of advise to Muslim news reporters and Muslim media and their obligations to Islam.

abuayesha

Perhaps She is a non-practising Muslim but she has to be one in order to enter Makkah.

As she covered hajj 2008 for CNN, she either is a Muslim or she has lied to the Saudi Government (forged documents, etc.) in order to have permission to enter Makkah.

If she did lie, that's very disrespectful, both on her side and that off CNN's part.

Also, due to high demand the Saudi Government cannot grant visas to everyone who wants to perform Hajj.

If she lied to report from Makkah this means she also stole the right of Hajj from a real Muslim who actually wants to be there for the right reasons.

So, Insha Allah we hope she is a Muslim. Make dua Allah Guides her Insha Allah to the true understanding of Islam. And hope she benfitted from the Khutbah of Shaykh Aal-Ashaykh.. As he gave some excellent piece of advise to Muslim news reporters and Muslim media and their obligations to Islam.

:wasalam:

Aameen!

Wassalaam

Amir_of_spain

Asalam wailkium

Stop getting all paranoid. Non muslims are prevented from entering for security purposes this is a general rule.

Amir

Salaam,

Covering Hajj on CNN!?...hey I see that as an opportunity for dawah. Hajj is the biggest gathering in the world with people from every country. Why not share this beautiful gathering with the rest of the world. It's better than covering gay parades (which CNN usually shows). The diverse people & everyone praying in one direction, dressed in all white, all symbolizes unity. It's the power of Islam.

reversion

michael wolfe covered hajj for another network before and it is the BEST hajj coverage i have ever seen (not that i've seen many)
u can look it up on youtube, they had the whole thing divided into 3 parts i think.
there is also a national geographic documentary following 3 different ppl from different countries throughout their pilgrimage (1 from south africa, 1 from texas, 1 from either malaysia or indonesia-not sure). that is definitely worth seeing but there are 2 versions of it. i recommend the uncut version; i think they had taken out some of the best parts in the editing room.
cnn's coverage in the previous years were made by reporters like zain verjee who have an understanding of islam. forget the muslim/non-muslim debate; it is just sad that they picked someone who is not qualified for the job. to me it seems like she doesnt display any enthusiasm whatsoever for being there...

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2:

the SAUDI GOVERNMENT would never allow a non-muslim into Makkah for hajj or hajj reporting. they have so many logistics as to monitor who is in that city. yes, there are a few people that sneak in without hajj or umrah visas, but even still they're muslim.

when michael wolf did his reporting, he was a muslim and so were his camera crew. had he not been muslim the report could never have been done. this woman reporter, she could very well be a muslim. maybe a not practicing muslim. keep in mind that it's not a sin for a non-muslim to be in makkah. it's a visa issue and the govt of the KSA doesn't want al masjid al haram or makkah to be an exotic tourist attraction.
:wasalam:

reversion

michael wolfe even has a book published on his hajj and it was his 2nd time around when he covered it for tv. as i said on my previous post, i think he did a great job. he is a good ambassador of islam in the states, no doubt about it.

i wish cnn had taken the task seriously and worked with someone like him. i saw ms. damon's reports and they don't look very enthusiastic to me.