Obama hopes to reboot US image among Muslims

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
salam aleikum
Just thought to share this article that I came across on the news ...

Please just don't leave negative feedback :) Let's think positive...

waaleikum salam

Obama hopes to reboot US image among Muslims

WASHINGTON – President-elect Barack Obama says he will try to "reboot America's image" among the world's Muslims and will follow tradition by using his entire name — Barack Hussein Obama — in his swearing-in ceremony.

The U.S. image globally has taken a deep hit during President George W. Bush's two terms in office, primarily because of opposition to the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq, harsh interrogation of prisoners, the indefinite detention of terrorist suspects at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and mistreatment of inmates at the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq.

Obama promised during his campaign that one of his top priorities would be to work to repair America's reputation worldwide, and that one element of that effort would be a speech delivered in a Muslim capital.

He pledged anew to give such a speech, though he declined to say whether it would happen during his first year in office.

"It's something I intend to follow through on," Obama said in an interview published Wednesday in the Chicago Tribune and the Los Angeles Times. "We've got a unique opportunity to reboot America's image around the world and also in the Muslim world in particular. So we need to take advantage of that."

Obama said his message would be twofold: that his administration will be unyielding in stamping out terrorist extremism but also "unrelenting in our desire to create a relationship of mutual respect and partnership with countries."

"I think the world is ready for that message," he said in the interview, conducted Tuesday.

During the campaign, Obama repeatedly faced questions about whether he is a Muslim, particularly in whisper campaigns that noted his middle name, that his father is Kenyan, and that he lived for a time as a child in Indonesia. Obama is a practicing Christian.

Asked if he would drop his middle name during his inauguration on Jan. 20, the president-elect said he would not.

"The tradition is that they use all three names and I will follow the tradition, not trying to make a statement on way or another," he said.

Obama also talked about the spiritual support he sought during his White House bid, particularly since he and his family left Chicago's Trinity United Church of Christ after inflammatory comments by its pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, became a campaign issue.

Obama said he set up a "sort of prayer circle across the country" of pastors who would pray for him every morning on a conference call. Obama said he sometimes joined the call, which involved leaders from various Christian denominations and other religious faiths.

"I'm not even sure that all of them voted for me," Obama said. "But they were willing to pray for me, and that's something that was wonderful."

On other topics:

_Obama would not put a timetable on issues important to organized labor, what he called his promise to "put an end to the kinds of barriers and roadblocks that are in the way of workers legitimately coming together in order to form a union and bargain collectively." Among other things, he has promised support for a card-check system for unions trying to organize a new workplace and for adding labor and environmental protections to the North American Free Trade Agreement. "I don't want to anticipate right now what sequences will be on these issues," Obama said.

_The man about to be the nation's first black president said he will make enforcing civil rights laws and making the criminal justice system color-blind top priorities for his administration. The Justice Department's Civil Rights Division "over the last eight years has had a lot of problems and really declining morale," he said.

_Obama said he, his wife Michelle and their two young daughters will make frequent visits during his presidency back to their home in Chicago, perhaps as often as every six weeks. "My Kennebunkport is on the South Side of Chicago," he said. "Our friends are here. Our family is here. And so we are going to try to come back here as often as possible."​

abuayesha

Wa alaikumussalaam warahmathullaah

Thank you Aisha1114 for the information. It is true we should practice looking into topics like this positively without jumping into conclusions of our own.

We shall wait and see. As Barack Obama is the Preseident-elect of the USA he will be in-charge of affairs in that country. We are aware the country is regarded by others as a super power (Allaah is the One holding everything in His Hand).

Being Muslims we should not undermine everyone who is coming to power. Just because the USA is criticised by Russia and/or Venezuela we should not take them as our friend because we know they too are enemies of Islaam.

Therefore, we will wait and see. Anyhow, the final decision is coming from Allaah.

What we should do is to pray to Allaah to guide them to the Straight Path.

Wassalaam

Searching_soul

:salam2:

hmmm... I find it really Funny, that Barack Hussein Obama (The president Elect) has both the names of the two most wanted men of Bush Administration after 9/11, incorporated in his complete name.

Hussein = Saddam HUSSEIN
Obama = OSAMA bin Laden (well almost) :)

Facts truly are stranger than Fiction. Subhan ALLAH. Who said America is Running the show. ALLAH Is Running the Show all along. Alhamdulillah

:wasalam:

the most positive thing i can say is this........

so many US presidents came and went and all of them liked to talk big(nothing unusual bout the talking part).......

so i have only 1 request from the US *save us the hypocrisy of urs*

that was positive enough i hope

:hearts::hearts:

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

If he carries on with what he claims...then he would be making a very wise move and inshallah he accomplishes it...no matter what...I wish to see peace and compassion wash over the hearts of people and they be clear of hate..even towards enemies..

so like someone on here said...we'll wait and see what he does..and inshallah he'll do what is good for all people (muslim & non-muslim)

Baraka Allaho Feeki for the information

Isra

aka Tree2008
As-Salamo Alaikome....

I just wanted to state my opinion which is that during the 2 terms Mr George Bush was president I have never in my life been more embarrassed to be called an American. This clown has really made a shambles of everything in my opinion. He has done nothing better than drag the United States through mud and made all of us as Americans look like the fools of the world. If Mr Obama can fix this mess that Mr Bush made I am all for it.....whatever he needs to do please just DO it and stop all the talk because really talk is cheap......lets see some action in a positive way.

May Allah forgive me if Im wrong for thinking this way :tti_sister:

cmelbouzaidi

:salam2: I would like to see Obama choose a practising Muslim amongst his advisory group (which contains practising Jews and Hindus even).... To the best of my knowledge, there are no Muslims in his inner circle.... Anyway, the proof will be in the pudding, as my mother used to say..... I don't want to argue about all of this again, I just want our brothers and sisters in Palestine, Afghanistan, Iraq and all people that suffer due to extreme poverty, illness and war in this world, Muslim or non-Muslim to have a better chance here. Every few seconds someone in Africa dies of malaria, AIDS or starvation.... this is outrageous and really sickens me. To think that America could get rid of these problems in Africa but chooses to send Israel $10 - $15 million A DAY and engage in brutal wars, is a despicable crime. Proud sponser of one.org :) :)

catherine iman

petrisornicusor

salam aleykum! First of all USA must stop this campaign against exterminating muslims world wide. And against slandering islam world wide, and calling muslims terrorists. And it must see to it`s own Sheitan business such as *!*!*!*!ography and child abuse, and instigating to murder, it`s something american and christian. And my words may sound harsh, but these are just words of my rage, while i say this , how many children are murdered in the Gaza Strip by Israel? And we know very well USA is a big suporter of Israel.

ALLAHU AKBAR!

Spare Change?

:salam2: I would like to see Obama choose a practising Muslim amongst his advisory group (which contains practising Jews and Hindus even).... To the best of my knowledge, there are no Muslims in his inner circle.... Anyway, the proof will be in the pudding, as my mother used to say..... I don't want to argue about all of this again, I just want our brothers and sisters in Palestine, Afghanistan, Iraq and all people that suffer due to extreme poverty, illness and war in this world, Muslim or non-Muslim to have a better chance here. Every few seconds someone in Africa dies of malaria, AIDS or starvation.... this is outrageous and really sickens me. To think that America could get rid of these problems in Africa but chooses to send Israel $10 - $15 million A DAY and engage in brutal wars, is a despicable crime. Proud sponser of one.org :) :)

catherine iman

Salaam,

He will never pick a practicing Muslim because that would contradict U.S. foreign policy. The American empire has made it clear that it will continue to support absurd & hienous wars with Obama's war-monger transition team. Their records fall nothing short of it. The Federal Reserve remains intact and we're gradually witnessing the dollar collapse.

With regards to AIDS - physicians, doctors, and scientists are fully awar of the cause of this disease and how it spreads, yet they do not come out honestly to say: "do not have illegitamate sex and stop homosexuality." Instead, they are preaching "safe sex." They feel necessary for 6th graders, aged 9 to 10, to be shown cartoon movies to give them an understanding of the human body, about how to have sexual intercourse, about the sexual organs and the use of condom - as if our generation and the generation before us were ignorant of the sexual organs and how to have sex. There is no doubt that it is the innate knowledge of all living creatures, humankind, animals and even ants and flies. The Western society has declined to a point where homosexuality & lesbianism, premarital & post marital sex are now considered natural, if not legal. More than 6 million have died of this disease we know as AIDS and it is increasing at alarming rate because these doctors are lying so they can pocket more & more $$.

TheKnowledgeSeeker

A Believer In Heart
The guy is a joke. He should start to reboot his own image among the Muslims communities in the USA. Its funny how all the Muslims backed up him.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman

if Obama wants to help create a better image of the US to the muslim world, i think that we should be supportive of that. when or who was the last president that cared about how the muslim world viewed america? keep in mind that he is the president of a country with millions of different people and backgrounds; which makes it impossible to please every group of people. the man isn't even in office yet, so try to give him a chance.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

if Obama wants to help create a better image of the US to the muslim world, i think that we should be supportive of that. when or who was the last president that cared about how the muslim world viewed america? keep in mind that he is the president of a country with millions of different people and backgrounds; which makes it impossible to please every group of people. the man isn't even in office yet, so try to give him a chance.

Baraka Allaho Feek Brother...

That's exactly what I had in mind