Researching changing my name

hznaz

assalaamu alaikum

I'm still a few weeks into my new faith but still I am serious about changing my name legally even though some brothers have told me I do not have to do this while others told me it would be good to change my name.

my first name was easy since its meaning is german for Heart and it was never really a name I enjoyed using. But since my mother died a few months before my 14th birthday my first name and last name I took more seriously since she game them to me. I am now 35 and a new revert to Islam.

The reasons I have to desire a new name is because my old life is that of a painter (artist) and some of my past works would not fit well with my life. Artists then to live very public lives through the work they create. I would like to have a fresh start and live my life a new way that is most pleasing to Allah. This is my first reason to change my name the second reason is to see myself in my mind an identity that is more muslim than my christian past.

so my first name is not a problem but I feel that I am struggling with my last name more since this is from my mother and I had a life with my father. I was thinking of keeping it. But I am not sure how makrooh this name would be in the muslim community.

this name is Nazaire (french version of the latin Nazarius meaning Nazareth or from Nazareth the town Jesus lived)

I checked and I found no connection between Nazaire and Nasir or Nazir

most people who know me always called me NAZ since I hardly used my first name. (which is also the name of a Car Rental Company and rhymes with HURTS) :( but since it means heart in German it was okay I guess

I am thinking of taking two muslim names and keeping the last.

so it would be (name one) (name two) Nazaire

I think I already made up my mind on those two names I am just not sure how acceptable Nazaire would be in the muslim community or even if it is right of me to care so much about how others react to it. A blend of both would speak the truth about who I am and it would remind me what Allah's mercy in my life is.

any thoughts from the brothers and sisters would be much appreciated.

in peace

hznaz

Salaams bro

I may have made a mistake in my posting I am not a sister :p

I have my name given to me by my mother that may be what I said wrong above. :)

sorry I hope the same reply still applies as I am male. thank you for taking the time

fada_all

suggestion

salamo allahi 3aliki okhti warahmatoho ta3ala wabarakatoho.

first of all i congratulate u my sister for being our sister in islam insha allah. and second, u r wondering between either to change ur name as i understand . but i think in my point of view u can choose a name that and use it for u in order to put an end to all ur past life and to star a new life with a new name as well.. as our prophet said: islam clear or, in oder words, delete what is happend before.' he said : al islam yajobo , allah will forgive u and all of us .ghafara allaho laki okhti wa lana jami3an insha allah. thanks for all ur sister .fada_all

hznaz

Salaams sister

don't let me into the Sister's Club just yet I am a Brother :p

sorry for my errors I am not able to edit my post it seems

I guess I will keep thinking about my last name I have not found anything yet while searching thanks for the reply

:)

if Naz is a name for a girl? Taj is a boy's name right? hmmm

hznaz

How about Ilyas, Ilyasa, Nashir, Yusya, Khadar, Idris, Ishaq, Syua'ib, Baihaqi, Affan, Laits, Armia, Hizqil, Israfil (name of Malaikat), Dzulkifli.

Assalamu'alaikum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh.

are these to replace nazaire?

I wish to ask if Nazaire is acceptable I wanted to know if it is not. Thanks

what about Shariq?

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
:salam2:

First of all...welcome to the ummah and to the light of Islam brother :)

Second of all...I honestly don't know whether it's right or wrong...

But for the most part...

The Prophet (pbuh) changed the names of reverts if their name had an unislamic meaning such as...Abdushams...which means...servant of the sun (i.e. someone who worships the sun)...but others kept their names as they are...such as Sayidina Omar (ra)...

You sound like you want to rid yourself of any doubts over your name...

If the process of legal name changing is easy for you in Germany...

I say..why not???...do it!!!

Just so you don't worry over the name and it keeps bothering you...go and change it

If you want a list of names or something (especially first names)...I can look for names for you in Arabic...

Also..have you thought of this for a last name???

Some reverts (especially the brothers) might go with a "kunya" type of name (kunya is like a nickname)...

such as (making up a name here)

Abdulrahman Al-Mohtadi

Al-Mohtadi = The Guided

Something like that..do you see what I mean???

So I don't know..it's still up to you of course..but like I said..if it's easy for you..for the sake of your comfort..you should change your name

:wasalam:

abuayesha

Alhamdulillaah!

There will be an impact among your circle - your family, friends, neighborers and colleagues - if you change your name which clearly shows that you are a Muslim, eg: Abdullaah, Muhammed, Haroon, Yahya, Omar, Yousuf, Abdurrahman, Abdurraheem, Abdul Basheer, Abdul Hameed and so on.

Those who are in your circle will start asking why you changed the name and it will open a door into Islamic discussion. There will be opportunities for you to introduce Islaam to them.

Why not... Go ahead choosing a name giving Islaamic meaning. It will protect you Inshaa Allaah from sinning too.

Allaah knows best.

May Allaah bless you and reward you immensely.

Wassalaam

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer
:salam2:

Firstly,
I would like to give you a big fat warm hugg and welcome you to the Islamic Ummah.

Your name does not have to be changed as some of the brothers/sisters mentioned in earlier posts. However, like Sister A_Muslimah86 has sad if it will bother you in the future then go ahead and do it!

I really like the idea of adding 'kunya' as your last name. Plus your name will be in the style of the Sahabas and some later famous Muslims. I think those names sound so cool! Example,

Abu Bakr As Siddique (The truthful one I believe?)
AbdhuRahman At Taqafi (Taqafi means he was from the city of Tayiff, near Medina)

List of names I like.

Salih, Youseff, Shoaib (my name :D), Sayem, Saad, Umar, Ihsan, Azizan, Mas'ud, 'Amr, Khalid,

Almeftah

Prophet Mohammad pbuh told in an authentic Hadith that Allah loves the names Abdul-Lah and Abdur-Rahman.