DId Jesus had Long hair?

Yahya1819

I read the book "JESUS A PROPHET OF ISLAM BY MUHAMMAD Ataur-Rahim and it says in the books that "Lentulus, a Roman Official, describes Jesus with Long Hair and reddish face. However Muslims tradition say he didn't have LONG HAIR.

CAN SOMEONE MAKE IT MORE CLEAR..I have some friends and I have to discuss this with them. Please Help!

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum Yahya1819,

The following is a saying of the Prophet [peace be upon him]. I'll post it in Arabic first, then its translation into English. I have underlined that part that describes the length of Jesus' [peace be upon him] hair.

ذكر رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم يومان بين ظهراني الناس ، المسيح الدجال . فقال " إن الله تبارك وتعالى ليس بأعور . ألا أن المسيح الدجال أعور عين اليمنى . كأن عينه عنبة طافية " قال : وقال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم " أراني الليلة في المنام عند الكعبة . فإذا رجل آدم كأحسن ما ترى من أدم الرجال . تضرب لمته بين منكبيه . رجل الشعر . يقطر رأسه ماء . واضعا يديه على منكبي رجلين . وهو بينهما يطوف بالبيت . فقلت : من هذا ؟ فقالوا : المسيح بن مريم . ورأيت وراءه رجلا جعدا قططا . أعور عين اليمنى . كأشبه من رأيت من الناس بابن قطن . واضعا يديه على منكبي رجلين . يطوف بالبيت . فقلت : من هذا ؟ قالوا : هذا المسيح الدجال"

It is narrated on the authority of 'Abdulldh b. Umar that one day the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) mentioned in the presence of people about al-Masih al-Dajjal. He said: Verily Allah (hallowed be He and High) is not blind of one eye. Behold, but the Masih al-Dajjal is blind of right eye as if his eye is like a swollen grape, and the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: I was shown in a dream in the night that near the Ka'bah there was a man fair-complexioned, fine amongst the white-complexioned men that you ever saw, his locks of hair were falling on his shoulders. He was a man whose hair were neither too curly nor too straight, and water trickled down from his head. He was placing his bands on the shoulders of two persons and amidst them was making a circuit around the Ka'bah. I said: Who is he? They replied: Al-Masih son of Mary. And I saw behind him a man with intensely curly hair, blind of right eye. Amongst the persons I have ever seen Ibn Qatan has the greatest resemblance with him. He was making a circuit around the Ka'bah by placing both his hands on the shoulders of two persons. I said: Who is he? They said; It is al-Masih al-Dajjal. [The Arabic name of the Anti-Christ]

[Collected by Muslim, Book 001, Number 0324, translated by Abdul Hamid Siddiqui. I added the words between the brackets [ ] in the end.]

There are also other sayings that describe Jesus Christ [peace be upon him] as having a reddish face, like the following one. Again, I underlined the relevant phrase.

ليلة أسري بي : رأيت موسى ، وإذا هو رجل ضرب رجل ، كأنه من رجال شنوءة ، ورأيت عيسى ، فإذا هو رجل ربعة أحمر ، كأنما خرج من ديماس ، وأنا أشبه ولد إبراهيم به ، ثم أتيت بإناءين : في أحدهما لبن وفي الآخر خمر ، فقال : اشرب أيهما شئت ، فأخذت اللبن فشربته ، فقيل : أخذت الفطرة ، أما إنك لو أخذت الخمر غوت أمتك

Allah's Apostle said, "On the night of my Ascension to Heaven, I saw (the prophet) Moses who was a thin person with lank hair, looking like one of the men of the tribe of Shanua; and I saw Jesus who was of average height with red face as if he had just come out of a bathroom. And I resemble prophet Abraham more than any of his offspring does. Then I was given two cups, one containing milk and the other wine. ***Gabriel*** said, 'Drink whichever you like.' I took the milk and drank it. ***Gabriel*** said, 'You have accepted what is natural, (True Religion i.e. Islam) and if you had taken the wine, your followers would have gone astray.' "

[Collected by Al-Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 55, Number 607, translated by M. Muhsin Khan]. I'm not sure if the translation of the phrases I highlighted [in bold type], so if anyone out there has an explanation of Sahih Al Bukhari [such as Fath al Baari by Ibn Hajar Al-Asqalaani], I would appreciate it if he could verify the translation. The word "Gabriel" which I put between astrix signs *** was written by the translator Khan but not found in the Arabic original.

Regards,

Bluegazer

Wassalamu Alaikum

Believe2Succeed

AOA WRWB
Yahya:
what Blue glazer wrote is correct. The narrations of Prophet SAW show he would have had long hair.

I don't where they got that islam believe the opposite. Even the complexion of Essa maseeh AS is considered true...

Wallau Alam

Globalpeace

Banned
Jesus: Prophet of Islam (Muhammad'Ata Ur Rahim)

Asslamo Allaikum,

It appears that some Muslims have reviewed this book and found it to an excellent source of evolution of Christianity as it stands today and well researched. However there are some reservations when Ahadeeth are quoted as they may not be rigorously authenticated.

I have personally not read the book but based on the reviews there may be an explanation as to why the contradiction with Saheeh Ahadeeth; considering the later? May be?

http://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Prophet-MuhammadAta-Ur-Rahim/dp/1879402114

Ayep

:salam2:

Firstly good job for spotting that out Yahya1819.
I've read the book some time ago and just checked it again after reading this post. The Muslim tradition mentioned on page 20:
describes Jesus "He was a ruddy man inclined to white. He did not have long hair...".

The problem with this is that it is not followed by which Hadith it was taken from as compared to the other traditions compared the others mention in the book. It could be an error from where he got the source from(fabricated Hadeeth maybe?).

So I rather stick to the Saheeh Hadith by Imam Muslim and Bukhari posted by Bluegazer.

The book was printed in 1980 and on the whole a very good all round coverage of the history of Christianity. A must read for one wants to know whole picture of how present day Christianity came about.

Allah knows best