Fast for Gaza

Status
Not open for further replies.
Salaam,

It has come to my attention that many Muslims are fasting Thursday January 15, 2009. Let us take part into this. Let us remember & make dua for our brothers & sisters being killed by the oppressors in Gaza as well as in other parts of the world.
------------------------------------

EDITED, by Admin,

Please do NOT do this, singling out this day to fast for Gaza (or infact any thing that is not from Quran and Sunnah), is not allowed in Islam, please see the last replies below, why this is bid'ah, an innovation. JazakAllahu khayr

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
Salaam,

It has come to my attention that many Muslims are fasting Thursday January 15, 2009. Let us take part into this. Let us remember & make dua for our brothers & sisters being killed by the oppressors in Gaza as well as in other parts of the world.

:salam2:

i was going to do that tomorrow too, insha'allah. fasting is one of the best weapons. i'm also glad that you mentioned that this is not only for the brothers and sister in Gaza, but also for other oppressed muslims throughout the world. i say this because it seems that many of us muslims forget about the other oppressed muslims and only care about Palestine. we can't afford to leave any oppressed muslim groups out of our dua.

may ALLAH SWT make it easy for the peoples of GAZA, SOMALIA, PHILIPPINES, BOSNIA, KOSOVO, DARFUR, CHECHNYA, CHINA, NIGERIA, INDONESIA, BURMA AND WHEREVER OTHER MUSLIMS ARE BEING OPPRESSED. AMEEN
:wasalam:

samiha

---------
Staff member
:salam2:

I'd like to say something here - there's a difference of "Fasting for Gaza" and "Fasting for Sunnah". I dont believe that the former should be adhered to, although the second is a noble cause.

We know that when a person fasts their dua is accepted near Allah until he/she breaks their fast. Thus to fast on thursday and make dua for our brothers and sisters is not something wrong, but in such a case it is a good and blessed act. However, such a person who does this, should make thier intention not to fast not for the people of Gaza, but for Allah and following the Sunnah of fasting on a thursday. The same people who fasted on that day, can also do this on a monday following the same idea.

However, to my knowledge I have not seen in the Seerah anywhere that the Prophet sallahu alayhi wa sallam ever told a people, or his companions to collectively fast on any specific given date in order to bring out the wellbeing of any other people.

There needs to be a clear separation between what we know is good as Ibaadah, and doing it for other that what has been in the Qur'aan and Sunnah. Because as good as our intentions may be, unless it is according to the correct way, there is no khayr, no good in Bid'ah or any other action we do.

That is my opinion

wasalam

samiha

---------
Staff member
The above was actually what I felt, and then discovered that this had been discussed in the forums before and was put down as well. Therefore I would like to re-post what the Admin posted and then close this thread.

Wa alaykum Salam,

No, we do not do this, no matter how "good" it seems. Firstly, as all our acts of worship are done for Allah alone.

Fasting, prayer, all aspects of Islam are only done in accordance with the Quran and Sunnah.Therefore, we do not fast to commemorate any day, people, occassion. Fasting must only be done in the way prescribed.

Anyway, this fasting on special day, for whatever purpose is an innovation, something the blessed Prophet Muhammad :saw: never did.

Infact, this is another way where Muslims are following in the footsteps of the very same enemies who are destroying Islam, i.e. the non-Muslims.

We should not copy what others do, because that does not make it right. Often, if we are to stay on the clear path, practicing Islam according to the purest beliefs we will encounter opposition.[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] But, we must remember, Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) told us in the Qur'aan:
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]"If you were to follow most of them on earth they will lead you away from the way of Allah. They follow nothing but conjecture, they do nothing but lie." (Al-Anam 6:116)[/FONT]

This has always been the case, especially these days. Everywhere people give their opinions and talk about issues without Islamic knowledge. Those who are not fit to be teaching, take up the stage or start making schools, institutions and are speakers at various places, but none of their words are remotely related to actual Islamic knowledge, which is the Quran and Sunnah with the understanding of the early generation of Muslims.

Our Islam is perfect and complete, we should do what is from the Quran and the Sunnah. We should do what is right to help the Muslims.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]"This day I have perfected your religion for you, completed My Favor upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion" (Al-Maidah 5: 3)[/FONT]

The very reason our Ummah is weak and not united, is because Muslims have no idea about halal and haram. This is not just about getting drunk or having a ham sandwich!

It is firstly about our Worship of Allah, to do it properly, to know our Lord in the correct manner, to have correct knowledge of Allah, to follow the Sunnah of the Prophet :saw: and stick to it and not to innovate anything into Islam.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]‘Aisha(Radhiyallahu anha) reported that the Prophet Muhammad:)saw:) said: "Whoever innovates into this affair of ours something that we have not commanded it is to be rejected" (Bukhari and Muslim)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Jaabir (Radhiyallahu anhu) narrated Muhammad:)saw:) said,"To proceed: The best speech is the Book of Allah and the best guidance and example is that of Muhammad, and the worse of all things are the newly invented things (in the religion), for every innovation is a error and a misguidance." (Muslim)[/FONT]

For innovation, is a sin greater than many of the other harams people commit. Some of the pious predecessors would say it was better their son have illegal sexual intercourse, than die having committed innovation!

The Prophet Muhammad :saw: said:[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]"Verily I shall proceed you to the Fountain (Al-Kawthar). Whosoever will pass by me shall drink (from it) and never get thirsty. People whom I know and who will know me will certainly come to me for drink but there will be a barrier between them and me. Then I will say, "Verily they are of me.’ It will be said, ‘You certainly do not know what bid’ah (innovation) they made after you.’ Then I shall say, "Be off those who made bid’ah after me.’
(Bukhari and Muslim)
[/FONT]

Abdullah Ibn Masud, Radhiyallahu anhu, was an esteemed companion of the Prophet Muhammad :saw: . He was the first to openly recite the Qur'aan infront of the pagans. May Allah's peace and blessings be upon them him.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Abdullah Ibn Masood narrated, "The Messenger of Allah :)saw:) drew a line for us and then said, ‘This is Allah’s Straight Path.’ Then he drew lines to its right and left, then he said, ‘These are paths, upon every one of them there is a devil calling towards it.’ (Ahmad)
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Then he (Muhammad :)saw:)) recited (from the Qur’an (what means)):[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]"Verily this is My Straight path, so follow it and follow not (other) paths, they will separate you away from His path. This He has ordained for you that you may become pious." (Al-Anam 6:153)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Amr ibn Yahya narrated his father told him, "We used to sit at Abdullah Ibn Masood’s house before Fajr prayer. If he exited we would follow him to the musjid. Abu Musa Al-Ash’ari then came to us and asked us, ‘Did Abu Abur-Rahman (Abdullah Ibn Masood) come out yet?’ We said, ‘No’, so he sat with us till he emerged. We all stood up when he exited.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
He (Abu Musa Al-Ash’ari) said, ‘O Abu Adur-Rahman, I just saw something which I did not recognize, and I did not see, all thanks to Allah, but good.’ He (Ibn Masood) said, ‘What is it?’ He (Abu Musa) said, ‘If you live you will see it. I saw in the musjid people sitting in circles waiting for the prayer. In each circle there is a leader, and they have stones in their hands. He (the leader) would say, ‘Say Takbir (Allahu Akbar) 100 times’, so they say Takbir 100 times. He (the leader) would then say, ‘Say Tahil (La Ilaha Illa Allah) 100 times’, so they say Tahil 100 times. He (the leader) would then say, ‘Say Tasbih (Subhana Allah) 100 times’, so they say Tasbih 100 times.
[/FONT]
Ibn Masood said, ‘Did you not order them to count their evil deeds, and guarantee them that none of their good deeds will be lost?’ Then he and us left till we reached one of the circles. Then he (Ibn Masood) stood next to the circle and said, ‘What are you doing?’ They said, ‘O Abu Abdur-Rahamn, (these are) stones that we count our Takbir, Tahil, tasbih, and Tah’mid (Alhumdu’lillah).’
[/FONT]
Ibn Masood said, ‘Count your evil deeds, for I guarantee that none of your good deeds will be lost. What is the matter with you, O nation of Muhammad? How soon you come to your destruction! The companions (of Muhammad) are still many, these are his clothes still not worn out and his cookware did not break yet. By whom my soul is in His Hands, you are either following a religion better than Muhammad’s or followers of a way of evil.’
[/FONT]
They said, ‘By Allah, O Abu Abdur-Rahman, we sought only what is good.’ Ibn Masood said, ‘Many people seek good, but they do not reach it. The Messenger told us some people who read the Qur’an will not have the Qur’an leave their throats (to their hearts). By Allah I do not know if most of you are from them.’ Then he left them. Amr Ibn Salamah said, ‘We saw most of those people fighting against us, in the battle of Nahrawan with the Khawarij.’" (Tirmidhi)
[/FONT]

On a side note, I often wonder, where our brothers and sisters are, when it comes to other crimes committed against Muslims and also non-Muslims? This is a time to reflect upon ourselves, how far we, as an Ummah are from actually sticking to Islam properly. If so, we would care about everyone, from our family and friends to the people who suffer in Africa - Darfur, Somalia etc, in Palestine, Chechnya, Iraq, Afghanistan, Burma and so forth. People are starving to death in some parts of the world, you know? It especially shows the wickedness of those who use these situations for their own personal political gains.

We need to be aware of that, and focus on ourselves, improve ourselves and at same time to do what we can to help our brothers and sisters wherever they may need help.

Just as the word is being spread FOR this act, we should spread AGAINST it! Because as stated before, even if you, I, or anyone thinks they are doing any good - it has no benefit when it is not correct. Rather it backfires against us, and will actually be recorded and a sin, and bid'ah is no small sin at that.

Thread Closed

wasalam

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
assalamu alaykum, it makes me sad that people do not realise that this is a Bid'ah

EVeryone has duty, to tell people Not to single this day out, and do this innovation!!! especially those who are going around getting people to partake in this -

Another issue, even the date, 15th of January, this is not even an Islamic date! It is based upon the Christian /Polytheist Calendar, It is a calendar of Shirk, that we should avoid.. or use due to it being the unfortunate necessity due to our daily work for those in the West etc

This is one sign of many around us, that show just how weak our Ummah is. Just how much work we need to get closer to Allah and the sunnah of RasulAllah, Muhammad :saw:

We are Muslims, We have our Hijrah calendar, we have our own Islamic dates, we have our Quran and Sunnah and this suffices!

The day when everyone uses the Islamic calendar, when someone asks you what day it is, and you reply, it is 18th of Muharram 1430, is the day when the Ummah is closer to being triumphant and certainly, when the Muslims are upon Quran and sunnah with understanding of the Salaf Salih. For none of them would ever settle for anything, except Muslims clinging patiently to the true teachings of Islam and fighting against every evil.

wasalam

Status
Not open for further replies.