Sheesha?? Good or Bad???

IbnAhmad

:salam2:

I just wanted to clear something up rite.......sooo i thought i'l ask my bro's and sis' on TTTI!!!
Here goes.... my mates go bout ince a week to do sheesha or wotever its called and they keep telling me to come and saying its not 'smoking' i wanted to know exactly wot it is and the effects of it plzzzzz
Jazakallah
:wasalam:

amirah80

*Fear Allah*

Shesha is smoking. They use tobacco it is just not in a cigarette they put it in a bong.

Wasalam

Smile

be urself
we call it "smoking shisha" so yeah its smoking ... & on general anything that involves inhaling foreign substances is bad us ... so why risking and try something that you already can live without

IbnAhmad

we call it "smoking shisha" so yeah its smoking ... & on general anything that involves inhaling foreign substances is bad us ... so why risking and try something that you already can live without

True!!!!!!!!! yep ur dead rite!!!!! thanks sis :wasalam:

hasinah

this is an answer i found from Shaykh Muhammd Ibn Adam (hanafi fiqh) on the question of cigarettes etc..

Is smoking cigarettes, cigars and pipe haraam?

In the name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful,
The ruling on smoking cigarettes, cigars, etc..., will defer according to the reason and situation in which one smokes.

1) If one becomes intoxicated due to smoking and the tobacco therein, then it will be unlawful (Haram) to smoke. This is clear and needs no evidence, as intoxications have been explicitly declared unlawful (haram) in Islam.

2) If one smokes due to illness and the remedy is by smoking, then this is permissible, provided, there is no intoxication.

3) If one habitually smokes such an amount, from which serious harm may normally be feared, then it will be unlawful, as Allah says in the Qur’an:

“And make not your own hands contribute to (your) destruction.” (Surah al-Baqarah, V: 195)

4) In the case of normal smoking (meaning, there is no intoxication and not to an amount which normally seriously damages the health of the person who is smoking), as is the case with most smokers in general, the ruling is deferred upon by the contemporary scholars.

The Fuqaha and scholars of Indo/Pak are of the view that, it is permissible, however disliked (makruh Tanzihan), provided one takes care of cleansing the mouth after smoking. They are well aware of the medical evidence, and take it into consideration. This is what we find in their major Fatawa books and this is the Fatwa issued by the famous Dar al-Uloom, Karachi, where this humble student studied.

However, the great scholars from the Arab world, (with whom I also studied) hold smoking to be Haram and sinful. This is because of its great individual and societal harms, which have been prohibited in the Qur’an, as indicated in the verse mentioned earlier .Such Fatwas have been given by scholars from all four Madhhabs.

Now, one may follow one of the two opinions, as both are from the great scholars of the world. However, to abstain and refrain from smoking is always advisable, no matter what the reason may be, as it waists money, health and eventually life.

And Allah Knows Best

Muhammad ibn Adam
Darul Iftaa
Leicester , UK

amirah80

*Fear Allah*

I located a fatwa one specifically for smoking shisha and the 2nd quote contains information that should be beneficial to you as well, inshallah.

I also just wanted to say I know you mentioned your friends are trying to persuade you to engage in smoking shisha with them. The evidences are clear about smoking. Some people will make excuses and excuses to do what pleases them and try to lead others astray. Just be careful and inshallah stay guided.

Before the end of time some people will try to make everything that is not good for us seem permissable or find short cuts around avoiding the obvious. :astag:

I know some shisha contains tobacco and their are probably others that do not as well. But, regardless of the tobacco contents the smoke being inhaled into the body within it self is not good causing some to be asmatic in addition to other that could be subjected to second hand smoke. etc....

My question is regarding the issue of smoking shisha. My son believes it to be halal as he is under the impression that it is not harmful as smoking is. I have read quite a lot around the subject and I have found that there is a lot of confusion around this matter. I would like a clear cut fatwa regarding shisha, whether it is halal or haram (and on what basis?) and whether it falls under the fatwa on smoking cigarettes or tobacco?

Answer
In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Shisha is worse than smoking cigarettes because the amount is more and the duration is longer. Therefore, it is more in effect and deeper in harming. As the majority of scholars nowadays say smoking is forbidden, therefore we should put shisha under the same category. The basis for this prohibition is the absolute harm on one’s body and others, which goes against the hadith of the Prophet :saws: “Harm cannot be inflicted or tolerated.” Another reason for the prohibition is the waste of money, which is forbidden in Islam. Therefore, smoking, whether it in the form of cigarettes and shisha, can be put under the category of abominations.
Allah Almighty knows best.

Source Islam Online

Regarding the effects of smoking on one's religion, Shaykh ‘Abdur-Rahmaan As-Sa’di stated the following:

· It prevents the person from performing some of acts of worship, especially fasting
· It results in one intermingling with an inferior class of people, and shunning mixing with the righteous
· It causes the youth to stray away from the right path, and leads them to indulge in dispraised behaviour
No sound minded person can doubt that smoking is prohibited after it has been proven that it contains poisonous ingredients and has seriously harmful effects on the body.

One may ask if there is any evidence in the Quran and Sunnah proving that smoking is prohibited. The answer is yes; there are many verses and prophetic narrations proving that it is prohibited to buy, sell, or smoke cigarettes, such as:

1. No one doubts that it is (smoking) one of the Khabaa’ith (i.e., any evil or harmful act) and Allaah forbids all types of Khabaa’ith when He Says (what means): “…And (the Prophet ) makes lawful for them the good things and prohibits for them the evil…” [Quran 7: 157]

2. Smoking destroys the person, and Allaah Says in the chapter Al-Baqarah (what means):
“…And do not throw [yourselves] with your [own] hands into destruction…” [Quran 2: 195]

3. Smoking is a form of extravagant spending, while Allaah Says in the Chapter Al-Israa’ (what means): “Indeed, the wasteful are brothers of the devils, and ever has Satan been to his Lord ungrateful.” [Quran 17: 27]

4. Smoking slowly kills the person, and Allaah Says in the Chapter An-Nisaa’ (what means): “…And do not kill yourselves…” [Quran 4: 26]
Additionally, the Prophet said: “He who consumes poison and thereby kills himself, will have that poison in his hand in Hell, and will consume it therein eternally.” [Al-Bukhaari]

5. Smoking harms others, while Allaah Says in the Chapter Al-Ahzaab (what means): “And those who harm believing men and believing women for [something] other than what they have earned [i.e., deserved] have certainly born upon themselves a slander and manifest sin.” [Quran 33: 58]

6. A smoker publicly commits this sin, while the Prophet :saws: said: “Every one of my followers will be forgiven, except those who expose (openly) their wrongdoings.” [Al-Bukhaari]

7. Smoking wastes one's wealth, whilst the Prophet :saws: said: “Allaah dislikes idle talk, to ask too many questions (for things which will be of no benefit to one), and to waste one's wealth.” [Al-Bukhaari & Muslim]

Shaykh ‘Abdur-Razzaaq ‘Afeefi said: “One should not demand a specific evidence clearly mentioning cigarettes, or smoking, by name, in order for him to be convinced that it is prohibited; otherwise, he is either a short-sighted person, simple minded, or ignorant about Islaam, because evidences in Islaam sometimes come in the general form and are then to be applied to particular cases. Only those who follow their desires and are overwhelmed by Satan would demand such a thing.”

Shaykh Ibn Baaz said: “Smoking is prohibited due to the numerous harmful effects it has.”

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said: “Cigarettes are prohibited to smoke, sell, or buy; it is also prohibited to rent a store to a person who would sell it in that store, because to do so would be to help him in his evil.”

Source Islam Web

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum,

Advise them to good and make them better, otherwise find better friends. What they do is something that is very ignorant and foolish, there is nothing cool about it or relaxing.

We need to spend our time in the rememberance of Allah, gaining knowledge of Islam and helping our brothers and sisters in Islam.

The Middle East has enough Sheesha filled Cafes, where the youth waste their days, we do not need them in other places.

nafesa

muslim gurl
:jazaak:For the fatwa i thought tht it was a’right if it was flavors that had no tabacco in them but now it’s clear :wasalam:

ruki4eva

Muslim Unity...
subhanaAllah jazakallahu khaiyr brother for the post
i was also wondering the same some say its ok its not smoking
and some say its haram lol but i never join my friends when
they go for sheesha May Allah guide us all Ameen
and jazakumullahu khaiyr to all brothers and sisters
for your answers May Allah reward you All
:wasalam:

Believer1985

I dont know that much about it, but my siblings do it and it is just under 1% tobacco, so it doesnt really have much of an effect on you at all! It has different flovours, like Apple, Strawberry etc...but it isn't haram.

However, being a non-smoker myself, I would never do it!

mhamzah

And spend of your substance in the cause of God, and make not your own hands contribute to (your) destruction; but do good; for God loveth those who do good. (2:195)

Before thee, also, the apostles We sent were but men, to whom We granted inspiration: If ye realise this not, ask of those who possess the Message (21:7)

Health risks

It's a myth that hookah (Shisha) smoking is safer than smoking cigarettes. The tobacco is no less toxic. Hookah smokers actually inhale more tobacco smoke than do cigarette smokers because of the massive volume of smoke they inhale. Although many believe that the water in the hookah filters out all the "bad stuff" in the tobacco smoke, this isn't true. According to a World Health Organization advisory, a typical one-hour session of hookah smoking exposes the user to 100 to 200 times the volume of smoke inhaled from a single cigarette. Even after passing through water, tobacco smoke still contains high levels of toxic compounds, including carbon monoxide, heavy metals and cancer-causing chemicals (carcinogens). Hookah smoking also delivers significant levels of nicotine — the addictive substance in tobacco.[24][25][26].

In 2005, the experts of the World Health Organization published an important report against the use of water pipes. One year later, this document was criticised in the Journal of Negative Results in Biomedicine for serious errors and misinterpretations regarding: -biomedical aspects (chemistry of smoke, health effects); -sociological (women and children use); - anthropological (Asia, Africa, use in a real environment, types of smoking mixtures and pipes, and the consequences on modelling a complex social and human situation); - historical (about the origins of the device since the first two sentences of the WHO report are inaccurate in this respect).

It should be noted that the WHO report is not a study per se but only a summary of studies selected by its authors for the purpose of issuing recommendations aiming at supporting national bans on smoking. Notably, the report was criticized for having dismissed (this error is called "publication bias") important studies whose conclusions were not in agreement with the above recommendations.

Each hookah session typically lasts more than 40 minutes, and consists of 50–200 puffs which range from 0.15–0.50 litre per puff.[27][28]

Research shows that a single 45-minute session of hookah tobacco smoking (tobacco molasses) delivers slightly less tar and carbon monoxide (around 3-6%) than smoking a cigar.[29]

Some hookah tobaccos claim to contain 0.0% Tar, but this is misleading because tar is a by-product of plant combustion. Tar may not be added to the shisha before smoking, but burning plant material always produces tar. Hookahs are designed to heat rather than burn tobacco, but for smoke to be produced some combustion must take place- although possibly at a slower rate than burning with direct flame.

The first aetiologic study on hookah smoking and cancer ever carried out was published in May 2008. The authors conclude to various levels of carcinogenicity. Reference: Sajid KM, Chaouachi K, Mahmood R. Hookah smoking and cancer. Carcinoembryonic Antigen (CEA) levels in exclusive/ever hookah smokers. Harm Reduction Journal 2008 24 May;5(19)

Hookahs can also be smoked with tobacco-free flavors. There have been few studies to show the impact of smoking herbal flavors in Shisha pipes.

It should be noted that health laws in the UK require that importers and manufacturers must supply the Health Authorities with data on the contents of tobacco products for approval. At this time no Shisha products have been submitted for approval and therefore all those containing tobacco are illegal for sale in the UK

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hookah#Tobacco

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.world-federation.org/Health/Articles/CHB_News_Flash_What_Shisha_Does_to_your_Lungs.htm

Water pipes (hookahs) are the first new tobacco trends of the 21st century, giving new popularity to an old form of tobacco use. Hookah use continues to grow among teenagers; however, misconceptions about the safety of hookah use are widespread and need to be addressed.

BACKGROUND/ HISTORY OF WATERPIPE TOBACCO USE:

The water pipe is used to smoke specially made tobacco by indirectly heating the tobacco with burning embers or charcoal which then filters the smoke through a bowl of water. The smoke is then drawn through a rubber hose to a mouthpiece, where it is inhaled by the user.

Hookah smoking originated in ancient Persia and India, and spread throughout the Middle East and Asia during the 15th Century. In the late 20th century, sweeter additives and more flavors were developed to make the hookah more appealing. As people emigrated to Europe and the United States from the Middle East and Africa, Hookah cafes began appearing in European cities and are now growing in popularity in the United States as well. Hookahs have become popular among the urban youth, young professionals, and college students.

HEALTH EFFECTS OF HOOKAH SMOKING:

The existing evidence on hookah use indicates that smoking through a hookah carries the same or similar health risks as cigarette smoking. These adverse health effects include increased risk of lung, oral and bladder cancer and heart disease.

While studies of mainstream smoke from hookahs found that it contains similar amounts of nicotine, tar and heavy metals as other Tobacco products, some experts believe that hookah smoking increases exposure to toxic substances over other products. This is due in part to the way hookah smoking occurs in contrast to cigarette smoking. Hookah smokers use a water pipe over a much longer period of time, often 40-45 minutes, rather than the 5-10 minutes it takes to smoke cigarette.
Because the inhalation and exposure to smoke occurs over a longer and more sustained period of time, a hookah smoker could potentially inhale as much smoke in a single session as consuming 100 or more cigarettes.

Another problem with hookah smoking is the commonly used heat sources that are applied to burn the tobacco, such as wood cinders or charcoal. These substances, when burned, release high levels of potentially dangerous chemicals including carbon monoxide and metals. Some research suggests that hookah smoke is therefore more dangerous, as it contains smoke from the tobacco itself as well as smoke from the heat source used to burn the tobacco.

Although more research needs to be done to determine long term health effects of hookah smoking, available research strongly indicates that it presents many of the same risks as cigarette smoking, and should not be viewed as a safe alternative to smoking.

PERCEPTION AND AWARENESS:

Hookahs are often considered more pleasant for smokers, because the smell, taste and smoothness of the sweetened tobacco provide much less irritating smoking experience than traditional cigarette smoking. Experienced Smokers sometimes add other liquids, such as fruit juice, to change the taste and effect of the smoke. Hookah smoking also offers a more affordable method of smoking than cigarette smoking, which creates incentive for its use.

Shisha is 100 times worse than cigarettes:

“An advisory note from the WHO says that smoking a hookah may expose the smoker to more smoke over a longer period of time than occurs when smoking cigarettes.”

“Because smoking a hookah may take up to 80 minutes, the report suggests that the smoker is subjecting himself to as much smoke as somebody dragging on 100 cigarettes.”

CONCLUSION:

Whoever is thinking that they are safe with hookahs as opposed to cigarettes are only fooling themselves. It is especially sad to see this trend catching on fire in the Muslim world.

Let’s do whatever it takes to halt this phenomenon, especially in preventing our youths from indulging in this harmful habit. Spread the word

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other sources:

http://cancer.about.com/od/smokingandcancer/a/hookah.htm

q8penpals

I dont know that much about it, but my siblings do it and it is just under 1% tobacco, so it doesnt really have much of an effect on you at all! It has different flovours, like Apple, Strawberry etc...but it isn't haram.

However, being a non-smoker myself, I would never do it!

Assalam aliekum

Living in the middle east, I have heard the controversy over and over. The scholars agree that it is bad for you, the scientists agree that it is bad for you, the doctors agree it is bad for you (and by the way, everyone around you that is inhaling the smoke). I believe in Oman (maybe if there is someone from Oman here), it is not allowed in public (although i hear it does happen in public, it is just supposed to be illegal).

Think of it this way - tobacco or not, you are inhaling a hot foreign substance, filled with micro-particles into your lungs. Sheesha is actually worse than cigarettes in this manner, because there is no filter on the majority of sheesha pipes (water, despite the claims, doesn't filter the chemicals). So even if it is not altering your mind, it is clogging your lung alveoli full of hot microparticles - over time, this will result in diminished breathing due to the alveoli being burned (destroyed) or filled with particles.

Do you want to slowly suffer? Do you want to make others suffer around you (forcing them to inhale lung-clogging smoke particles)? If the answer is NO, then you have answered your own questions about smoking.

And just FYI - the majority of people who die in fires, die from smoke inhalation - and there are people who purposely inhale smoke?? Where is the logic??

IbnAhmad

Assalamu Alykum. :)

Jazakallahu Khair for everyones advice. Much Appreciated. Alhamdulilah I never have and never will go near that 'thing' InshaAllah. > :p

Wassalam