Important

Um Ibrahim

Alhamdulilah :)
Asalamu Alaykum my dear brothers and sisters

I have two important questions to ask...perhaps someone in here will be able to give me the correct answer.

There is someone who I know that jokes about him being a kafir SubhanaAllah! He said this twice and then said Oh i'm just playing around. I know this specific person does not know or have much knowledge about Islam even though he thinks he knows everything there is to know about Islam. He does not practice the religion at all...so I didn't even know how to take his statement. so my first question is can someone joke about being a disbeliever or a kafir?

My other question is, if someone says he does not believe that it is necessary for a Muslim to follow the sunna, is that person going be considered a Muslim? Basically, if someone rejects some of the hadiths of the Prophet and only believes in the Quran...what is the ruling of a person like that's faith?

palestine

Servant of Allah
Walaykum wasalam wrwb. No, a person, especially a Muslim should not and could not joke about being a kafir. This is not allowed. below are the following fatwas for the first and second question inshaAllah.

During a heated argument he said that he was a kaafir. What is the ruling?

When I was having an argument with one of my relatives, I uttered the words, “I am a kaafir” and I slapped myself on the face. Please note that I regret what happened and I need direction and guidance. What is the religious ruling on this case? Do I have to offer any expiation?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Inna Lillaahi wa inna ilayhi raaji’oon (Verily to Allaah we belong and unto Him is our return). We ask Allaah to keep us safe and sound in this world and in the Hereafter, and we ask Him for a good end and to cause us to die in faith.

You should realize that you have fallen into the worst and most abhorrent of sins, which is the sin of kufr (disbelief) and apostasy, Allaah forbid.

The words which you say that you said are a clear statement of kufr and apostasy. The scholars said: when a person utters the words of kufr, he is judged to be an apostate (if he knew the meaning of the words) and he need not be asked about his intention, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“If you ask them (about this), they declare: ‘We were only talking idly and joking.’ Say: ‘Was it at Allaah, and His Ayaat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) and His Messenger that you were mocking?”

[al-Tawbah 9:65]

Allaah stated that they disbelieved after having believed, even though they said, “We spoke the words without believing them, we were only talking idly and joking.”

Ibn Nujaym said: Whoever speaks the words of kufr, jokingly or otherwise, is a kaafir according to all the scholars, and it doesn’t matter what his real belief is.

End quote.

Al-Bahr al-Raa’iq (5/134). See also Nawaaqid al-Eemaan al-Qawliyyah wa’l-‘Amaliyyah (p. 95).

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:

If he utters words that put him beyond the pale of Islam, such as saying that he is a Jew or a Christian or Magian or that he has nothing to do with Islam, or with the Qur’aan or the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), then he is a kaafir and an apostate, and we take him at his word. End quote.

Al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 6/279

Apostasy is an extremely serious matter. The scholars differed concerning one who apostatizes then repents: will any of the reward for his previous deeds remain, or is it all erased because of his apostasy?

Shaykh al-Fawzaan was asked the following question:

What is the ruling on one who apostatizes from Islam then returns to it? Should he repeat his previous deeds in accordance with the pillars of Islam, such as Hajj, fasting and prayer, or is it sufficient for him to repent and return to Islam?

He replied:

The correct scholarly view is that if the apostate returns to Islam and enters Islam anew, repenting to Allaah, then he does not need to repeat the deeds that he did before apostatizing, because Allaah has stipulated that in order for deeds to be cancelled out by apostasy, the person has to die as an apostate.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And whosoever of you turns back from his religion and dies as a disbeliever, then his deeds will be lost in this life and in the Hereafter, and they will be the dwellers of the Fire. They will abide therein forever”

[al-Baqarah 2:217]

So in order for deeds to be lost, it is stipulated that a person persist in apostasy until he dies in that state. The verse indicates that if a person repents then the deeds that he did before apostatizing are still valid and will be rewarded in sha Allaah. End quote.

Al-Muntaqa min Fataawa al-Fawzaan, 5/429

With regard to slapping the face, this is a deed of Jaahiliyyah which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) warned against. It is narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) disavowed himself of the one who does that, as he said: “He is not one of us who slaps his cheeks, rends his garment and calls out with the cry of the Jaahiliyyah.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari (1294). This indicates that slapping the cheeks is a major sin.

As you regret what you did, we hope that Allaah will accept your repentance. You have to utter the Shahaadatayn (twin declaration of faith) in order to re-enter Islam after going out of it. You have to do good deeds and guard your tongue, for a person may say a word that angers Allaah but he regards it as insignificant, then he will be thrown into the Fire and will continue falling down into it for seventy years.

With regard to expiation, there is no expiation for what you have done apart from repentance, regret and resolve not to do it again.

We ask Allaah to accept your repentance and to enable you to adhere to His religion.

And Allaah knows best.

See also question no. 1079, 5733 and 42505.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

palestine

Servant of Allah
This is similar to the second question. This fatwa below is about rejecting the sunnah, which basically is rejecting the hadeeths and so on. it should help inshaAllah. asalamu alaykum wrwb and i'm sorry if it doesn't clarify anything for you. salam. and i think you really really really really need to advice your friend and point out to him/her mistakes, because if it continues it can lead to something bigger. so to tell them the truth is better than to watch them be led astray.

Claim that the Sunnah cannot be trusted

Some people reject the Sunnah on the basis that there are many weak and fabricated ahaadeeth and that the fabrications of many liars weaken the Sunnah and make it such that it cannot be trusted. What is your opinion about this claim?

Praise be to Allaah.

This is the view of some heretics and misguided people, both in the past and nowadays. In modern times, those who expressed this view include Saalih Abu Bakr in his book al-Adwaa’ al-Qur’aaniyyah; Husayn Ahmad Ameen in Daleel al-Muslim al-Hazeen; Ahmad Ameen in Fajr al-Islam; ‘Abd-Allaah al-Na’eem in Nahwa Tatweer al-Tashree’ al-Islaami; Sa’eed al-‘Ashmaawi in Haqqeeqat al-Hijaab; Saalih al-Wardaani in his misleading book Rihlati min al-Sunnah ila al-Shee’ah; ‘Abd al-Jawaad Yaaseen in al-Sultah fi’l-Islam; Nasr Abu Zayd in Imaam al-Shaafa'i; Zakariya ‘Abbaas Dawood in Ta’ammulaat fi’l-Hadeeth; Hawlat Nahr in Diraasaat Muhammadiyyah; Maurice Bucaille in Diraasat al-Kutub al-Muqaddisah; Murtada al-‘Askar in Khamsoon wa Mi’ah Sahaabi Mukhtalaq; Dr. Mustafa Mahmood in Maqaalaat ‘an al-Shafaa’ah.

We say: it is true that there were fabricators and liars who made up words and attributed them to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), but the matter is not quite so simple as imagined by those doubters who also spread doubts among others. They are unaware of the facts about how the Muslims took care of the Sunnah. Alongside the fabricators, there were great numbers of narrators who were trustworthy and highly skilled, and a large number of scholars who surrounded the hadeeths of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) with a strong barrier which was difficult for the liars to penetrate. By means of their vast knowledge and deep insight, these muhaddithoon (scholars of hadeeth) were able to spot the liars and understand their intentions and motives, and they were able to detect everything that was falsely attributed to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). These fabricators were not given free rein to do as they wished with the ahaadeeth of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and they were given no room to penetrate the ranks of trustworthy narrators of ahaadeeth without being detected.

Who else exposed the lies of these kaafirs, heretics and extreme innovators?

Who were the ones who gave us the definition of what is fabricated, the reasons for fabrication, different types of fabrications and the signs by which a fabricated report may be recognized? Who wrote so many books on this issue?

They are the guardians of Islam, the vicegerents and troops of Allaah on His earth. They are the brilliant scholars of whom Haaroon al-Rasheed spoke when he arrested a heretic and ordered that he be executed. The heretic said, “Why are you executing me?” Haaroon al-Rasheed said, “To rid the people of you.” The heretic said: “O Ameer al-Mu’mineen, what will you do about the thousand ahaadeeth – according to one report, four thousand ahaadeeth – which I have fabricated and spread among you, in which I made what is halaal haraam and what is haraam halaal, of which the Prophet uttered not one letter?” Haaroon al-Rasheed said to him: “What will you do, O enemy of Allaah, about Abu Ishaaq al-Fazaari and ‘Abd-Allaah ibn al-Mubaarak? They will go through them and sift them letter by letter.” (Tadhkirat al-Huffaaz by al-Dhahabi, 1/273; Taareekh al-Khulafaa’ by al-Suyooti, p. 174).

Professor Muhammad Asad said: “The existence of fabricated ahaadeeth cannot be taken to prove that the entire system of hadeeth is not to be trusted, because these fabricated ahaadeeth never deceived the muhadditheen as some European critics claimed, oversimplifying the matter, and as was echoed by some who claim to be Muslims.” (al-Islam ‘ala Muftaraq al-Tareeq, p. 96)

We will end this discussion by quoting what was said by Imaam Ibn al-Qayyim al-Jawziyyah: Imaam Abu’l-Muzaffar al-Sam’aani said: “If they say: there are too many reports in the hands of the people and they have become confused, we say: no one is confused except those who are ignorant. Those who have knowledge of them (the reports) check them as stringently as those who deal with money check dirhams and dinars. So they single out (and discard) the false reports and keep the good reports. If there happens to be a narrator who made a mistake, this will not go unnoticed by the brilliant scholars of hadeeth. These scholars listed the mistakes made in both the isnaad (chain of narrators) and matn (texts) of reports; so you can see that for each narrator they made a list of the mistakes that he had made and the letters that he had mispronounced. If the mistakes of the narrators – in both the isnaad and the matn – did not go unchecked, then how could the fabricated ahaadeeth manufactured by the heretics have slipped past those brilliant scholars? How could people have narrated ahaadeeth from heretics without the scholars noticing? That is the view of some heretics, but no one would say such a thing except one who is ignorant, misguided, an innovator and a liar who wants to undermine the saheeh ahaadeeth and true reports of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and confuse ignorant people by means of this lie. There is no evidence for rejecting the reports of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) that is weaker or more impossible than this. The one who voices this view deserves to be silenced and expelled from the Muslim lands.

Mukhtasar al-Sawaaiq al-Mursalah, 2/561 ,Al-Bayaan magazine, issue #153, p. 26

Um Ibrahim

Alhamdulilah :)
Walaykum Salam and JazakaAllah khair Palestine for replying so quickly. I have read what you wrote and I understand completely the danger of what this particular person is under because of his believe and the things he says. I'm trying everyday to help him because he is close to me and I try to make him understand that his way of thinking is completely wrong but he is hard headed and does not even try to understand or listen to what I'm saying. He calls me confused and an "Islamist" that is brainwashed. sometimes I get so fraustrated that I don't even want to make any dua for him...but then I remeber that Allah(sw) said to us to never give up our hopes in his mercy. Maybe one day Allah will guide him, but sometimes I just get so terrified for him. I really don't know what to do. May Allah guide us all...Amin.

clear sea

Subhana ALLAh Prophet Mohamed -pbuh- said in hadith means that if He had gave us two things if we follow them we will not astray these two things are the Holley Qora'an and the Sunna(sayings of prophet Muhamed)