Friend wants to convert to Islam

*Sana*

.~.Slave of Allah.~.
Assalamualaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakaatu,

I hope my post reaches you all in the best of health and of course spiritually inclined Insha Allah.

A non-Muslim friend of mine was interested in Islam and so I have given her an English copy of the Holy Quraan. However, she finds that if she starts reading from the beginning till the end of the Holy Quraan that it would be "overwhelming" for her. So I suggested that I will give her some particular chapters to read as starters. She was happy with the idea.

However, I am not experienced with Da'waa and needed some help in what Surah's to ask her to read. Bearing in mind that this is her very first time reading the Quraan. Astaghfirullah, I know i shouldn't be saying this but first impression is the last.

I was initially thinking of getting her to read Surah Rahmaan or Surah Waaqiah, but like I said I am not as well versed as many of the other members on TTI and neither do I have as much experience in Da'waa, therefore I needed some suggestions on what to ask her to read first.

Jazaka Allah Khair in advance and May Allah reward you all for taking out the time to read the post. :)

Wasalaam :)

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
aslam o alikum
i would say Surah Rahmaan, alhumdulilah every single surah is extremely beautiful but this chapter is very touching cuz Allah (swt) tells us about his creations

*Sana*

.~.Slave of Allah.~.

Jazaka Allah Khair for your reply. I totally agree! Every single Surah or every single Verse of the Quraan for that matter has its own illustrious effects. But that was my initial suggestion as well for her to read either Surah Rahmaan and/or Surah Waaqiah.

May Allah reward you for taking out the time to reply :)

noose

Asalamu Aliekum
I believe Def. Alfatihah and Albaqarah verses 1-18. When I read the translation of these verses it hoenstly feels like Allah is speaking directly to me and is describing exactly whats going on now a day and why its going on. The reason I say translation is because I'm not that good at Arabic, but if I was it would probably feel even better in arabic.

Jazaki Allah Kheir

Ashima33

Salaam Alaikum,

Along with the Quran I would highly suggest a book that explains the basics of Islam. I know when I was doing my research before I converted one of the books that helped me the most was Vision of Islam by Sachiko Murata and William C. Chittick. I'm not for sure about Chittick, but Murata is a Japanese convert. This book explained Islam in a way I could relate to at the point I was in my life. It explains things very well in a "big picture" sort of way. So.... that's what I would also reccommend. =)

You can find it used on Amazon

*Sana*

.~.Slave of Allah.~.

Jazaka Allah Khair Brother Noose. I will request her to read Surah Al Fatihah and the first 18 verses of Surah Baqarah Insha Allah.

And yes Sister Ashima33 I have given her some books on the fundamentals of Islam. I have also given her some DVDs which hopefully will help her on her road to Islam. I do not possess a copy of that particular book you suggested but for the time being I have given her a fair bit of material to look at.

May Allah Ta'alah guide her to the right path Insha Allah.

Jazaka Allah Khair for your replies :)

Wasalaam

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
Salaam Alaikum,

Along with the Quran I would highly suggest a book that explains the basics of Islam. I know when I was doing my research before I converted one of the books that helped me the most was Vision of Islam by Sachiko Murata and William C. Chittick. I'm not for sure about Chittick, but Murata is a Japanese convert. This book explained Islam in a way I could relate to at the point I was in my life. It explains things very well in a "big picture" sort of way. So.... that's what I would also reccommend. =)

You can find it used on Amazon

:salam2:
very nice sugguestion by the sister ... it would be really nice to give the person some background information

helpinghumanity

Mashallah its a very good news that your friend is showing interest in Islam. I just want to give you a small and little suggestion.

"When some one is thirsty, give him/her a half glass of water (NOT FULL). If he want to remove his/her trust he will ask you for the other half (give him/her in that case), or he will himself/herself get the rest"

Regarding the chapter of the HOLY QURAN that you want to give, ukti it depends upon the person religion. Therefore it is very important to know the person present or past religion.

Assuming that she is christian then probably you can ask her to read the chapter about HAZRAT MARYAM (RA) OR ABOUT JESUS (AS). This methodology was used in the past when prophet Muhammed (pbuh) sent messenger to different kings of the countries.
You can even find the speech or dialogue between shah-e-najas and the messengers sent my prophit muhammed (pbuh).

However once again its very important that you tell us about the past or present religion of the person.

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.

Allahu Akbar! Allahu Akbar! Allahu Akbar!

If a person directs and helps another for any good deed, s/he will get the same reward as the person who did it by learning or getting it from him or her. So how will it be with a person who helps someone to find the truth from falsehood? Try always to provide that friend little by little. So that it will be easy.

Brother helpinghumanity has provided very good information regarding that. All the verses of Quran is meaningful and important. However, it will always be better to provide his/her life related verses when we start.

wassalam

-brother IbnAdam-

muslims.helper

is a Bro, NOT a Sis
Asalamo Aleikum Sana,

May Allah reward you for your effort and great deeds. May Allah give you the strength and show you the righteous path to help your friend Inshaa Allah.

I am not experienced in Da'waa but I have a little story to share with you, I hope it could be useful for you. When the Muslims where tortured badly in Makka by Kufar, and the Prophet s.a.s asked them to migrate to Habasha (Ethiopia now). He taught them Surat Maryam as Ethiopians were Christians.

When Muslims arrived there and met the king (called Nagashy), He asked them about their religion and asked them to tell him something from their book. So the read him Surat Mariam. When he heard it and found out that we believe in Jesus, Maryam and Christianity as he did and that we respect his religion, he knew these Muslims came with "something good and right".

So he accepted the Muslims in his country, treated them well, didn't agree to give them back when Kufar came to ask to have them back (although the Kufa messenger was one of his close friends), and protect them when Ethiopia was under attacked (place them in a ship and asked them to leave INCASE they lost the battle as he didn't want harm for them).

This story have lots of nice events and lesson but I don't want to get into much details and divert from the main topic. I think if your friend believes in Jesus and Mariam I would think (with my little knowledge and mind) you could follow Prophet path and ask her to read Surat Mariam. You can talk to your Mosque Iman also if he is familiar with Dawaa.

My applogies for the long email. I hope i didn't bore anybody here.

May Allah make you a reason for your friend to follow the righteous path, reward you with lots of great deed in this life and hereafter and reward you higher level in Heaven Inshaa Allah.

*Sana*

.~.Slave of Allah.~.

First of all Jazaka Allah Khayr for all you replies and your intelligent suggestions.

As per your question Brother HelpingHumanity, she grew up as a Methodist and then go married in a Roman Catholic Church but before her father passed away he became a Sufi!!! I explained to her that they are a deviated sect and she was alright with that.

Jazaka Allah Khayr Brother Ayman1, Brother IbnAdam77 and Brother Muslims.Helper. Indeed, it seems a sound suggestion to ask her to read Surah Maryam as part of her first readings.

Jazaka Allah Khayr for all the duas and May Allah Ta'alah reward you all with the highest place in Jannah Insha Allah.

yameenahmed

salam sister thus really great sister no one will be experience in dawah until and unless he/she try and talk with some non muslims sister i suggest you to give some basic fundamental books and some dvds of any scholars and if you want i can give you some websites address and books on islam

Jazakarallah Khair

Salaam,

It all depends. If your friend is curious or has a question about a certain aspect of Islam then you should provide her with surahs, reading materials, Youtube videos etc regarding that issue. If your friends is curious about the teachings of Islam in general then I think starting from the first surah would be good even though she thinks it's "overwhelming."

She does not have to finish the whole Quran in one day, nor is it required. If she becomes overwhelmed then she should take a break from it. I doubt in my heart of hearts that a person that is curious about the deen of Islam will stop reading it or become overwhelmed.

The Quran dives into the psyche of men & women with deep focus & interest that nourishes the soul and capture the hearts & minds of every human being.

massi

Sister!
my Advice is to let her watch the videos of the scholar
Yusef estes
He has a good way to introduce Islam and teach us a lot of things
It'll be more influence on her than reading books specially in nowdays
why did yusuf estes embrace islam?

from here

:lol: :lol: :lol:​

ummsami89

Salam alaikum. Massi, you read my mind.! I was going to suggest Sheikh Yusuf Estes too.

Also, if she is christian, there is a book out there called, The Bible Led me to Islam. It is written by a Episcopalian minister. I started going to sisters' haleqas at our local mesjid when I was learning about Islam. She can take her time with the quran. Inshallah she will read it with an open mind. Coming to this website has helped me too. Alhumduillah I have been a muslim now for 10 years, as of last Saturday. Cant imagine any other way of life. Subhanallah.

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
just wondering...

I hope you are in best health/iman
If someone is not a Muslim( by name) but believes in Allah, muhamed SalaAllahu Alehi Wasalaam as a massenger and Isa Alahis salam as a prophet of Allah. She did not say the shahada yet can they be called Muslim? if she dies will she considered a believer? I really would like to know bothers and sisters.
:wasalam::hearts: