786...?

Ferrari1981

I noticed some of you people have the number 786 on you name tags, which tells me you have not understood the meaning of the number.

We are meant to understand that '786' stands for 'Bismillahi Rahmaan Raheem'. How did it come about, and who started it?

Assalamu alykum, Bismillahi Rahmaani Raheem.

"786" - Does it stand for 'Bismillahi Rahmaani Raheem'?
We are meant to understand that '786' stands for 'Bismillahi Rahmaani Raheem'. How did it come about, and who started it? The numeral 786 in no way represent ‘Bismillahi Rahmaani Raheem’ and is not the Sunnat way. If one fears abuse of the letter, etc. 'Bismillahi Rahmaani Raheem' should be recited verbally at the beginning of the letter which will suffice for the written script. Refer below.

CAN NUMBER 786 REPLACE THE HOLY NAME OF GOD?
The innovation of writing '786' replacing 'Bismillahi Rahmaani Raheem' has been adopted for a long time and the majority of the Ummah is still indulged in it advertently. Apart from the common folk, the scholars also heed no attention towards it and to avoid disrespect to the Holy Words they use it in their letters and documents. They adopt it as 'correct' and 'better' way to invite Allah's blessings and have also started replacing the Holy Words by this number on their houses, offices, buildings, etc.

Unfortunately, this tendency is gradually gaining momentum. But, do we see this number instead of the Holy Words in the Holy Quran? Or, can we write it there as well? Can we remove 'Bismillahi Rahmaani Raheem' from the top of Surah al-Faatiha and replace it with the number 786? Obviously not. If we study the Quran, we see it carries the holy words in a letter from Prophet Solomon (pbuh) to the Queen of Sheeba - Bilqis - who was an infidel at that time. Even Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) in his letters to different heads of states and governments, used the holy words at the top.
Therefore, whosoever uses ‘786’ with the intention to obtain Allah's blessings, is a misguided person and any attempt to justify it, is ignorance. More astonishing is that fact that '786' is an aggregation of the numbers of Hindu 'Lord Hari Krishna'. H(a)iri Kr(i)shna h-5, r-200, r-10, k-20, r-200, sh-300, n-50, a-1 = Aggregate of 786.

Thus, the aggregate number of these letters (Hari Krishna) equals 786. This is also the case of 'Bismillahi Rahmaani Raheem'. Therefore, it is necessary to avoid using this number to avoid the danger of being indulging in infidelity.
Islam's foundation is laid on the belief in Tawheed (oneness of God). If we associate anyone with Allah's exalted names orally or practically, we would be committing infidelity that is an unpardonable sin.
The Quran warns us, one who finds a rival against Allah, Allah will never allow him to enter paradise, and his abode is the hell. The letters by the Prophet (pbuh) to non-Muslim Kings and chiefs bear the holy words 'Bismillahi Rahmaani Raheem'. This was also the case of his noble companions. Did the Prophet (pbuh) and his companions respect the Holy Words less than we do? Was the verse, 'Today I completed your religion for you', revealed to the Prophet (pbuh) or to the so-called scholars of our age who are all bent to amend the Divine principles.

Now, when it became known that '786' is written in place of Hindu, 'Lord Krishna', and has no significance in the Holy Quran and Sunnah, it is obviously an innovation and goes against the Divine doctrine of 'Obey Allah and His Prophet'. Similarly, some Muslims replace Allah's name by the number '66' and the Prophet's name by '92'. But if one ask, the number '420' is used against somebody's name and he is called '420'. Can he bear such an insult? Calling someone by a nick name is a sin. Allah Ta'ala says, 'Don't call one another by nick names'. If Allah prohibits the use of nicknames for fellow human beings, how can He allow the use of such insulting replacement number for Himself and His Prophet (pbuh). 'Bismillahi Rahmaani Raheem' great significance in the Quran and Muslims are ordered to begin any work but in the names Allah, not in the number of '786' or any other substitution.

Fozail Aqdas Ghazali
The Message
Saudi Gazette, Friday - September 29 1995

Umm Aysha

*Strive for Jannah*
Asalaam

I neva actually read up on dat, its quite interesting. It was in the heat of moment wen i had to pic a name and dat no jus popped in2 my head.
im sowee i wil see if i can change it

W/salaam

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Jazakallaahu Khayr for posting that..There's even a male group of nasheed performers called 786 :astag: but I must admit they are good with what they're doing :ma:

ShaheedU

Extinct
Jazakallaahu Khayr for posting that..There's even a male group of nasheed performers called 786 :astag: but I must admit they are good with what they're doing :ma:

what they are doing cant be good as it is music. they use instruments, loads of them. and we know music is haraam.

i dont mean to rude when writing the above but it needs to be said.

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Thanks for emphasizing on that brother. What I meant was they can perform well although what they're doing is haraam.

Durriyyah

Forever Student
my first time seeing or hearing that ...........wow 786..............so does 666 really stand for shaytan

:salam2:

I heard that 666 came from the idea that shaytan was the sixth brother of the sixth brother of the sixth brother or something... it really doesn't mean anything. Just like people in the US think that 420 stands for the police code for marijuana and some other number is homicide or whatever. They are all things that someone made up at some time and people just went with it.

The only number > word meaning I know that has any reality is 731 - seven letters, three words, one meaning: I love you :hijabi: But that is just because I think it is cute. :hijabi:

:wasalam:

ifrah26

hi this is a new sister

:salam2: i always thought that as the nasheed group who :astag: shoulden't even use music only daff is aloud jaza khala khair for the infor:wasalam:

nasir89ah

:salam2:

I heard that 666 came from the idea that shaytan was the sixth brother of the sixth brother of the sixth brother or something... it really doesn't mean anything. Just like people in the US think that 420 stands for the police code for marijuana and some other number is homicide or whatever. They are all things that someone made up at some time and people just went with it.

The only number > word meaning I know that has any reality is 731 - seven letters, three words, one meaning: I love you :hijabi: But that is just because I think it is cute. :hijabi:

:wasalam:

731 awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww:SMILY252: :SMILY252: :SMILY252: :SMILY252: :SMILY252: :SMILY252: :SMILY252: :wavyarms: :wavyarms: :wavyarms: :wavyarms: :wavyarms: :wavyarms: :wavyarms: :wavyarms: :wavyarms: :wavyarms: awwwwwwwwwww thaat is so cute seven letters 3 words....1 meaning ...i luv u tooo

ShaheedU

Extinct
hate to be the bearer of bad news but "i love you" has 8 letters in it. so it would be 831.

sorry for bursting ur bubble.
salam

Globalpeace

Banned
Use of 786

Asslamo Allaikum,

As someone who grew up in Pakistan I read up the ABJD (Alif Ba Jeem Daal) system as this was the predominant counting system during the Islamic empire, Indian Civil Service (ICS) under the British-rule and earlier on in Pakistan government. This system is based on Persian which was the language of upper-class.

As a matter of fact the Pakistani National Identity Card Form for children (to be filled out when you have a baby) is still called “Baa Form” in Urdu as is various sections of Pakistani penal system and Marriage certificate (Nikah-Nama). It is an effective counting system for administrative work and was widely used; although it is now almost extinct as Pakistan now uses Urdu and not many people use Persian as a medium.

Children in India/Pakistan are still told that letters should always be started with “786” instead of “Bismillah…”…Books in India/Pakistan still start with “786” so if the letter is thrown away or the page is discarded etc. the name of Allah (SWT) is not disrespected…

A fine logical reason till you consider the following:

1) I have copies of the letters of Rasul-ullah (Sallaho Alaihe Wassallam) written to Non-Muslims inviting them to Islam beginning with “Bismillah…” as dictated by Rasul-ullah (Sallaho Alaihe Wassallam) himself…If I get around to it I will gladly scan & upload it for all to see…

After examining the evidence from Rasul-ullah (Sallaho Alaihe Wassallam) I stopped using this system as there is nothing that remains to be examined or proven or done…

When I teach Asian children there are many who use “786” so I tell them to start reading the Qur’aan when they start with “Bismillah…” I say STOP! Why didn’t you start with “786”? They say that they have to start the Qur’aan with “Bismillah…” so I argue that I thought you said that “786” is “Bismillah…” then they say not really (& so on) so I tell them to stop using it & the penny drops!

talibulislam

deen is not math

we dont belive in horoscops or mathamatic figurs,its superstition,don't see any alim saying some thing or never heard any reference by any alim about 786,would love to know if any but to me bismillah cnnot b replace by numbers,other wise future quran might change into book of math.
allah knows the best
jazakallah khair

Marwa17

Jazakallahu khairan brother...i'm probably the one that was least aware...lol...i thought it was a music group...lol

3assal

thank you for that post. My friend asked me about 786, i will forward this link to her. Jazak Allah khair.