piano

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashah

:salam2:
I am agree with Brother Mabsoot. One should first rectify his belief(Tawheed,Salah, Saum etc) in Allah.

I have read the example of Brother Yousaf Islam that now he is singing. But one should not forget that he spend the 10 years of his life without music after reverting. And after 10 years of deep study of Islam he came to this conclusion.

:wasalam:

prayerbone

hi i agree tawheed salah saum etc..

but if yusaf came to that conclusion after 10 years i'd rather miss out the "middle man" and stay playin lol ater all thats 10 years of pratices ;-)~

Karima

Prayerbone,
You are keeping so much alive with your posts...thank you for your sense of 'reality'...and also for the link to Galloway's video...with the senate...
Keep in mind that we are learning what is best for us in all things related to Islam.
We are fortunate that we can learn from those who have good foundations of Islam to help guide us. Alhamdulillah....
The simple thread about piano has been interesting to read the posts from.

ashah

prayerbone said:
hi i agree tawheed salah saum etc..

but if yusaf came to that conclusion after 10 years i'd rather miss out the "middle man" and stay playin lol ater all thats 10 years of pratices ;-)~

Questions
1-What would you do by playing/singing music? for ur self (soul/"nafs") or to spread the message of Islam

2-Were/are u same famous like Brother Yousaf, Yes or NO? if yes then it would help the muslim community to get wider and to spread the message of Islam. If no then thats mean you are playing for your soul/'nafs'.

3-Why would brother Yousaf like to play music after 10 years? because he says that its hard for him to spread the message of Islam by giving lectures and he decided to use music as tool to spread the message of Islam. And off course people/his fans will listen to him as changed man and that will serve Islam.

I think(its not final) if you can do same things and sing/play music in its limits in Islam then you are allowed to do that.

prayerbone

hi i remember once reading about a reverts of how he came to Islam because he saw the saudi king be buried,it struck him with amazement at how it was like every other muslims funeral..islam is equal it is for all and the same rules rule all, there are no speical cases..its right or its wrong for all!
andy

ashah

prayerbone said:
hi i remember once reading about a reverts of how he came to Islam because he saw the saudi king be buried,it struck him with amazement at how it was like every other muslims funeral..islam is equal it is for all and the same rules rule all, there are no speical cases..its right or its wrong for all!
andy

You are absolutely right that every one is equal in Islam. But when we think who is more closer to Allah in Islam. then the answer is he would be more pious.

And again there are no special cases...its right or it wrong. But how would you determin if that is right or wrong. Then either you need to believe a trusted schollar(as the link given by brother Mabsoot)or you need to study the religion yourself by spending a fair period of your life as Brother Yousaf did.

Allah knows the Best

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
prayerbone said:
andy

assalamu alaykum...

yeaaah, it was an Italian Priest! He saw that even though the King had lived such a rich life, in the end he was buried in a simple shroud. THis is the traditional way to be buried in Islam, without a coffin.

wassalam.

ashah

Mabsoot said:
assalamu alaykum...

yeaaah, it was an Italian Priest! He saw that even though the King had lived such a rich life, in the end he was buried in a simple shroud. THis is the traditional way to be buried in Islam, without a coffin.

wassalam.
Hi would you put some more light on its tradional way to buried in Islam with out coffin.

Abu.Amirah

A/A,

Here in Kenya there are so many churches and whenever you look on tv's and on the roadside when they are preaching you will see alot of people participating.So big crowd that you will wonder if a prophet was sent down there.But always you will find the place to be noisy because of the way they use to attract them to the crowd. They go to those places because they are being attracted by the music and dancing and as I was discussing this issue with few christians they agreed that if there was no music then only few will attend there.
So what do we learn out of this issue?
That when the words of God are spoken through songs people hear them cleary and understand better?
Is God deaf that we need to raise our voice for Him to hear us? Or do we have to jump up and down so that He can see us that we need Him?
If passing the message of God will be better by putting them in songs then we are following their steps.Why should we do that? :astag:
If Allah gave you the gift of good voice then why dont you use it to recite the Quran for people and preaching with it the words of our Lord?
Am afraid that Music makes you end up in Haram why am saying this is by looking for the examples of those who used to sing.Majority of those who were singing in churches found that they have good voice and at last they left and started to sing and became the pop stars.So sheitan will not just come to us direct but he will always look where our weakness is.

Here in mombasa our houses are so closed to each other that when one shout or talk loudly then the neighbour can here.So if a sister is listening to a sami yousuf song and you know how they loved him and she follows the song and maybe even dancing in her room then another person next building is sitting and now listening to the lady singing and he is attracted with the voice and might end up whole day sitting there only attracted to that voice but not the words of sami yousuf's song.
If this was the best way then our Prophet(s.a.w) could have used the same example to us.
There is alot of effects in music and we all know its true but we dont want to admit it but you have to remember there are so many things that we have to sacrifice in this world for the sake of Allah and not only Music.

If you are an english man and you go to china and you are in the market places you dont know their language what will you say? they are singing? This same applys to the bird singing.We dont understand what the bird is saying thats is how they were created :subhanallah: but we cant say its singing, Allah knows the best.

Please corect me anywhere am wrong,Allah knows the best!
Allah forgive us and guide us the right way,Amin!
:jazaak: :)

Asma

As Salaam Alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuhu,
I understand how you feel.I had and still have a love for a few things that I am talented in. I can draw and sing very well. I use to do portrait drawings and paintings.I wanted the person when they saw my drawings to feel the realness that I was trying to portray.Also,I had a strong love for reggae music,it was like my gospel(as they say).I discovered that I too could sing.The more I sung the better I got.Then, I met my husband that I'm married to now.My world changed.Alhamdullilah! My husband told me and he showed me,that what I was doing was harram. I had to let go of things I loved.The music was first.He said if I died at that very moment what would be on my mind and heart.I said the music of the reggae group Steel Pulse.Then he said ,it would be better to die with ALLAH on my mind and heart.I wanted him to hear me sing,but he would not listen.He said,if I sing throughout the house,it would only increase my desire to continue.My drawings he also would not look at. Now for the music,I stopped playing and listening to.I started saying ALLAHUAKBAR,more and more. The singing I sometimes still do,but I catch myself and I try hard to control.When I want to fight the urge to sing,I say ALHAMDULLILAH over and over again..I would have to say the drawing was the hardest to accept, but the easiest to get over,once I cut my drawings that I loved to shreds.That was the end of drawing, because I seldom drew the same thing twice.. What I'm saying is,the things that we like or feel we love,can't do for us,what ALLAH can.So my new gospel is "O ye who believe!Remember ALLAH with much remembrance; And glorify Him early and late."
Oh yeah! I discovered I like to write. May ALLAH bless and help us all through our trials and tribulations. Growing to love ALLAH is the GREATEST Love of ALL.

ahmadyaacob

It is not my intention to create any misunderstanding regarding Islam or perhaps to create confusion. Let me first try to elaborate that what are discussing can be considered as a minor subject (furu') which in fact can be debated and we can agree to disagree. This is what we call as "ethic of disagreement in Islam" whereby a scholar might be having his opinion contrast to other scholars. Yes, it is a healthy culture so that muslims do have choices and situations may vary thus in consequent the hukm is varied accordingly. In short, we may disagree as long as it is not involve aqidah, syariah and other major aspects or foundations of Islam.

I wish to refer to brother Mabsoot when he mentioned about "moderation". Yes I agree that Islam does reflect moderation and balance. I am sure that we have to be balance and moderate in terms of giving attention to worldly life as well as youm akhirat (hereafter), thus we read "rabbana aatina fiddunya hasanah wa fil akhirati hasanah wa qina azabban nar".

I would like to take your attention to a famous book written by a most celebrated contemporary Muslim scholar Prof. Dr. Yusuf al-Qardhawi, entitled Al-Halal wa al-Haram fi al-Islam. Dr. Yusuf has mentioned in his book page 290 - 295 regarding the topic of Singing and Music. Here he had made references to several hadith and the opinions of the muslims scholars including Imam al-Ghazali. Dr. Yusuf has stated that Islam has permitted the singing and music on conditions that it does not involve or lead to committing sin.

I would not be able to pass my judgement to brother andy since I did not know his situation, as how far does music influence his life so on so forth. For I am afraid that I might be wrong to give a blanket approval when the situation may be varied. However, let me give some advice here is that you have to be fair to yourself. You may need to have some rest and your soul might need some too. But, ask Allah if your decision to continue to be involved in music and singing is a better approach than busying yourself in reading al-Quran and zikrullah instead. I am sure, some of us have gave their experiences on how they have been able to make a better decision and how far they have succeded.

:astag: may Allah forgives me for my mistakes.

Karima

MUSIC

Asalamualikum,

I have read and re-read all of these discussions. Music within me from Allah is ALIVE, and I am most prayerful when I can play on the piano to my Creator!

In spite of all the 'rules' of Islam, if music dies in me, then I am dead. I am not pushing music on others. This is part of my being. And I have gone without music, no playing on the piano, and I was dying to a beautiful gift that only Allah can supply to me. I could not do this without the natural talent given to me. Many people have 'gifts' of language, mathematics, art, and mine is music. I did not choose this gift.

I choose to remain fully alive and praise my creator with music. I have given this much thought, and I cannot give up this natural talent to praise my creator with music from within.

Sallam

samiha

---------
Staff member
ahmadyaacob said:

I wish to refer to brother Mabsoot when he mentioned about "moderation". Yes I agree that Islam does reflect moderation and balance. I am sure that we have to be balance and moderate in terms of giving attention to worldly life as well as youm akhirat (hereafter), thus we read "rabbana aatina fiddunya hasanah wa fil akhirati hasanah wa qina azabban nar".

I would like to take your attention to a famous book written by a most celebrated contemporary Muslim scholar Prof. Dr. Yusuf al-Qardhawi, entitled Al-Halal wa al-Haram fi al-Islam. Dr. Yusuf has mentioned in his book page 290 - 295 regarding the topic of Singing and Music. Here he had made references to several hadith and the opinions of the muslims scholars including Imam al-Ghazali. Dr. Yusuf has stated that Islam has permitted the singing and music on conditions that it does not involve or lead to committing sin.

I would not be able to pass my judgement to brother andy since I did not know his situation, as how far does music influence his life so on so forth. For I am afraid that I might be wrong to give a blanket approval when the situation may be varied. However, let me give some advice here is that you have to be fair to yourself. You may need to have some rest and your soul might need some too. But, ask Allah if your decision to continue to be involved in music and singing is a better approach than busying yourself in reading al-Quran and zikrullah instead. I am sure, some of us have gave their experiences on how they have been able to make a better decision and how far they have succeded.

:astag: may Allah forgives me for my mistakes.
brother i have this book in the English version and it does say that music might be permitted but I didn't find any hadith that he supported that allowed music except that of the duff. All the other hadith seemed to only pertain to singing, and most scholors see nothing wrong in halal singing.
Also it seems some people have a kind of addiction to music, it should not be said that one cannot live without music as only Allah knows what one can and cannot live without. Music can NEVER be placed on the same level as the Quran as the Quran is the word of Allah. I have heard that music is prohibited because it causes lustful desires and because a heart with music cannot memorize the Quran as well. Remember brothers and sisters in Islam, Allah comes first!

Abdullah ibn Amr ibn Al-As may Allah bless him reported: The Prophet peace be upon him said, “The one who was devoted to the Quran will be told on the Day of Resurrection: ‘Recite and ascend (in ranks) as you used to recite when you were in the world. Your rank will be at the last Ayah you recite.’” [Abu Dawud and At-Tirmidhi]

Uthman inb Affan may Allah bless him reported that the Messenger of Allah peace be upon him said, “The best amongst you is the one who learns the Quran and teaches it.” [Al-Bukhari]

These hadith don't say that music is any aid to us in this life or hereafter, the Quran is. We should devout ourselves to the Quran. Teaching music won't rise us in ranks in Paradise but the Quran will. As I see it, and of course Allah knows best, I think it is best to abstain from music at all costs. Adhere yourself to the Quran and let there be no tie remain to this temporary dunya.

If I have offended anyone... forgive me, and if I have written anything wrong it is from me and Satan and please correct me.

May Allah save us all from ignorance and help us on the right path. Ameen.

ibnAbdullah87

Evidence that Music and Singing are Haram

Listening to music and singing is a sin and cause for the sickening and weakening of the heart. The majority of the scholars of the Salaf are unanimous that listening to music and singing and using musical instruments is Haram (prohibited).
Evidence that Music and Singing are Haram

1. Allaah said, what translated means, "And of mankind he who purchases idle talks to mislead (people) from the Path of Allaah without knowledge, and takes it (the Path of Allaah) by way of mockery, For such there will be a humiliating torment." [31:6].

Al-Wahidi , along with other scholars of Tafsir (explaining the Qur'aan), said that "Idle Talk" in this Ayah is singing. The following companions gave this Tafsir: Ibn Abbas, Ibn Masud, Mujahid and Ikrimah . Ibn Masud said, "By Allaah, whom there is no God except Him, idle talk is singing."

2. The Prophet said (which means), "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful. And there will be some people who will stay near the side of a mountain and in the evening their shepherd will come to them with their sheep and ask them for something, but they will say to him, 'Return to us tomorrow.' Allaah will destroy them during the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and He will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs and they will remain so till the Day of Resurrection." [Al-Bukhari Volume 7, Book 69, Number 494v].

This Hadeeth states that musical instruments are Haram, and there is no disagreement among the scholars on this. In his book, Ighathat Al-Lahfan, Ibn Al-Qayyim said, "When the Prophet said, 'render as lawful,' he meant that it was unlawful, then the people made it lawful."

3. Abu Hurayrah narrated that the Prophet said, what translated means, group of this nation will be transformed into monkeys and swine." They said, "Do not they testify that there is no god except Allaah and that Muhammed is His Messenger?" He said, "Yes. And also they fast pray and perform Hajj." They said, "Then, what is their problem?" He said, "They use musical instruments, drums and female singers. (One day) they will go to sleep after a night of drinking and having fun, In the morning, they will be transformed (by Allaah) into monkeys and swine." [Iughathat Al-Lahfan].

4. Allaah said, criticizing the Kuffar's worship around the Kaa'bah, what translated means, "Their prayer at the House (Kaa'bah) was nothing but Muka'an and Tasdiyah." [8:35]. Ibn Abbas, Ibn Umar, Atiyyah, Muj ahid, Ad-Dhahh'ak, AlHasan and Qatadah said that Muka'an means whistling, and that Tasdiyah means clapping of hands.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sayings of the Scholars Regarding Music and Singing
Imam IbnTaymiyyah said, "Listening to music and sinful fun are among what strengthens the satanic ways the most. This is exactly what the disbeliever's used to do. Allaah said, And their prayer at the House (of Allaah) was nothing but Muka 'an and Tasdiyah. [8:35]. Ibn Abbas, ibn Umar and others said that Tasdiyah is clapping of hands, and that Muka'an is whistling. This was the Mushrikeen's way of worship. The Prophet and his companions worshipped Allaah , according to His order, in their prayer, reading the Qur'aan and Dhikr (supplication). It never occurred that the Prophet and his companions gathered to listen to singing that is accompanied by clapping or using drums."

Imam Ibn Taymiyyah also said regarding the person, whose habit is to listen to music, "His state of emotions becomes less passionate when he hears the Qur'aan. On the contrary, when he listens to instruments of the devil (music), he dances a lot. If the prayer is established, he either prays while sitting down or performs it as fast as when the roaster picks seeds. He dislikes listening to the Qur'aan and does not find beauty in it while reciting it. He has no taste for the Qur'aan and feels no love for it or pleasure when it is read. Rather, he finds pleasure if he listens to Mukaa' or Tasdiyah. These are satanic pleasures and he is among those whom Allaah mentioned in the Ayah, And whosoever turns away from the remembrance of the Most Beneficent (Allaah), We appoint for him Satan to be a companion for him. [43:36]." [Awliyaa' Ar-Rahman].

Imam Ibn Al-Qayyim said, "Of the tricks of the enemy of Allaah, Satan, that he uses to trap those who do not enjoy much intelligence, knowledge or sincerity in religion, are M ukaa' and Tasdiyah. These people of ignorance listen to and use musical instruments that are prohibited and which lead the hearts to abandoning the Qur'aan. These hearts are indulging in sin and disobedience of Allaah. Music, then, is Satan's Qur'aan and the barrier between one and Allaah. It is the way to sodomy and adultery. With it, the lover finds what he seeks and dreams of sinful love. Satan has trapped the weak hearts in the love of singing and made it beautiful to them. Satan reveals to his agents' fake proofs that they use as evidence to the beauty of singing. These people accept Satan's revelation and, as a consequence, abandon the Qur'aan. When you witness them while listening, you will find them silent in humbleness, sitting idle and their hearts are concentrating and totally enjoying music and singing. Their hearts will feel closer to music, as if they were drunk. They dance and move in a suggestive manner, like faggots and whores. And why not? They are drunk with the pleasure of listening to music and singing and act accordingly. For other than Allaah, and for Satan, there are hearts that are being broken by sin, and fortunes that are being spent for other than Allaah's Pleasure. They spend their lives in joyful fun and make a mockery of their religion. Instruments of the devil are sweeter to their ears than the Qur'aan. If one of them listens to the Qur'aan from beginning to end, it will have little effect or excitement on him. If Satan's Qur'aan is being performed and heard, they feel joy in their hearts and one can see it in their eyes. Their feet dance, their hands clap, their breathing intensifies and the rest of their bodies feel joy. O you who are trapped in this sin, you who have sold your share of Allaah to Satan, what a losing deal! Why not feels this joy when you listen to the Qur'aan? Why not feel pleasure and comfort when the Glorious Qur'aan is recited? But, everyone seeks what he feels is suitable for him, and ends up with what is really suitable for him." [Ighathat Al-Lahfan].

Sheikh Abdulaziz bin Baz was asked about listening to music and songs, "Is it Haram? I only listen to it for pleasure. What about playing the Rababah (a kind of guitar) and old songs? What about using drums in weddings?"

Sheikh Ibn Baz said, "Listening to music is Haram and a sin. It is a matter that leads to weakening the hearts and abandoning the Dhikr of Allaah and the prayer. The scholars said about the Ayah, And of' mankind he who purchases idle talks [31:6], that idle talks means singing. Abdullaah ibn Masud , the Prophet's companion, used to swear by Allaah that it is singing. If singing is accompanied by the Rababah, 'Ud (Arabic guitar), fiddles or drums, it is even more Haram. Any singing with any instrument is Haram and the scholars are unanimous on this. Therefore, Muslims must be aware of it. The Prophet said, "From among my nation there will be those who render as lawful adultery, silk (for men), AI-Khamr (alcohol) and musical instruments." [Al-Bukhari]. I advise you and others to read the Qur'aan and keep remembering Allaah. I advise you to listen to Qur'aanic programs on the radio. This way, one will find pleasure and will keep busy so he can stay away from music and songs. As for weddings, the Daff (tambourine) can be used along with innocent singing that does not call to sin. This can be done at night, only in weddings and only by and for women. These songs are a way of announcing an Islaamic marriage. The Sunnah of the Prophet supports the above. As for the drums, they are Haram all the time. The Daffis permitted in weddings and only for and by women."

Many Muslims today render music as permissible. This is due to their ignorance or outright defiance of the religion. We ask Allaah that we are among those who listen to the speech and follow the best of what it contains. These are the ones whom Allaah has guided and granted them the bounty of sanity and comprehending minds.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Karima

Asalamualikum,

This forum was not about music for drunks. It was about music and piano. It is easy to elaborate on the use of music which 'takes away' from thinking of Allah. When I listen to music, I think of Allah....no matter what form it is from...either strings, flutes, harps, etc.

Sallam

Kayote

Asalamualikum,

This forum was not about music for drunks. It was about music and piano. It is easy to elaborate on the use of music which 'takes away' from thinking of Allah. When I listen to music, I think of Allah....no matter what form it is from...either strings, flutes, harps, etc.

Sallam

Karima,

While Im with you that I very much enjoy my music (I mainly listen to soundtracks - slow, thoughtful & sweeping music) but I have to say from personal experience, that music doesnt attract me towards prayers as often as it should (if it is meant to at all!).

There is no doubt in my mind that music attracts shaitan (I only say this from my personal experience) yet I find it very hard to stay away from. It maybe because when Im in a thoughtful mood, soundtracks really help me think about this world & its principles etc.

Here is somehting to ponder on. Granted that you love music but shouldnt you have love for Quran. How often do you read & understand (read translation etc) of the Quran compared to music. If you are anything like me, the proportion of music (we listen to) to recitation of the Quran will be shameful. Is that not because the Shaitan wants us to feel we are remembering Allah through music when there is clearly a FAR FAR superior way to remember our Creator?

I do find ibnAbdullah87's views very strict & focused & sometimes she doesnt give the view of other scholars or the other half of the debate. I do want to find out more about the music & what Islam has to say about this but I honestly believe, if you think about it deeply & sincerely, you will find music to not lead you towards Allah.

Here is my personal story: Most of the days, I work from 8-6pm a day. Because my company being in Media industry, staff is a very lively bunch of people. I tend to put on music (headphones) & listen to music on avg. 5-6 hours a day so I can concentrate & get on with my reports without the distraction of fun & laughter in the background. During Ramadan, Ive vowed to not listen to music & while I am still finding it very hard (its already 9 days into the month) to not listen to music, I do believe my concentration n prayers & remembering Allah has increased many folds (okok, partly to do with you guys as well, I envy you guys for being such good muslims!!!) because I donot have a tune in my head constantly.

May Allah forgive us & guide us.

ibnAbdullah87

Abu Hurayrah narrated that the Prophet said, what translated means, group of this nation will be transformed into monkeys and swine." They said, "Do not they testify that there is no god except Allaah and that Muhammed is His Messenger?" He said, "Yes. And also they fast pray and perform Hajj." They said, "Then, what is their problem?" He said, "They use musical instruments, drums and female singers. (One day) they will go to sleep after a night of drinking and having fun, In the morning, they will be transformed (by Allaah) into monkeys and swine." [Iughathat Al-Lahfan].

The above hadeeth has nothing to do with drunken music. The Prophet said they us speaking of musical instrument and drum and female singers and take into account that these people are people that fufil the obligations but Allah will punish them in this world because of music. And for those who say they listen to music because they enjoy it and remeber Allah and feel that it will get them closer to Allah then know anything done to get oneself closer to Allah is an act of worship and Allah acts of worship are haraam except the acts that are legslated by Allah or his messenger or approved of by Allah and his Messenger and anything else is an innovation.

And if you do not take the above hadeeth as a warning or a condeming of the listen and part taking in music then we atleased have to agree that it is a doubtful matter and if we agree upon that then take into account the next hadeeth.
On the authority of Abu Abdullah an-Nu'man, the son of Bashir who said: I heard the messenger of Allah :saw: saying: Verily that which is lawful is plain and that which is unlawful is plain and between the two of them are doubtful matters about which many people do not know. Thus he who avoids doubtful matters clears himself in regard to his religion and his honour, but he who falls into doubtful matters falls into that which is unlawful, like the shepherd who pasturs around a sanctuary, may be he gaze therein. Truly every king has a sanctuary, and truly Allah's sanctuary is his prohibitions. Verily in the body there is a morsal of flesh which, if it be right, all the body is right and which, if it be diseased, all of it is diseased. Truly it is the heart.

It was related by al-Bukhari and muslim

it can also be found in an-Nawawi's Forty Hadith. It is hadith #6 the title is Lawful and Unlawful Things are Cleared

and all the scholar of the sunnah from what I know agree upon that music is unlawful.

My advice is to you is to clear yourself from doubtful matters and stay away from music even if you feel it does not harm you and if I come off as being harsh then I am sorry that is not what I intend I am just your brother in Islam trying to advice you.

ibnAbdullah87

Asalamualikum,

I have read and re-read all of these discussions. Music within me from Allah is ALIVE, and I am most prayerful when I can play on the piano to my Creator!

I choose to remain fully alive and praise my creator with music. I have given this much thought, and I cannot give up this natural talent to praise my creator with music from within.

Sallam

Your Creator has not legslated that you pray to him with music or praise him with music and any kind of worship not legslated by our lord or messenger is an innovation (bid'ah) and is not an except worship by Allah and Allah knows best, you are not earning the pleasure of Allah but his anger and we seek refuge from his anger. If you feel this is your talent then no problem if you leave it Allah will replace it with something better. Maybe Allah will give you and different and fare better and more praiseworthy talent. You should not feel that you can not live without music
So this is the fruit of patience and this is the result of having taqwaa, as Allaah says: “And whoever has Taqwaa of Allaah, He will make a way out for him (from hardship), and He will provide for Him from places He never imagined.” [Surah At-Talaaq: 2-3]

Karima

Musical discussion

Asalamualikum,

The discussion has been about music. I agree that music is not as important as God...and that I never put music on the same level as God/Allah. I would never put music even close to the level of God...because God is Almighty.....music is sounds of beauty.....God is Powerful....music is soft....God is All knowing.....music does not know one thing....however,...it is the end product of one's soul focused on God, while the fingers play the keys on the piano, to praise the one true God/Allah...Maker of Heaven and of Earth...

Has anyone of you ever had an ability to do something very naturally well, and in other things have to work hard at it? I cannot understand how I can play the piano with notes that paint a picture, each time....with my thoughts of God. But I can do this, which I did not learn in school.

I agree that music can 'distract' one from the pure thoughts of prayer to Allah, when it's a country western song about 'relationships'....or other songs about 'love' and 'romance'....etc....this is all a 'no brainer' that it is haram.

So if I put emphasis on music, it is because it one of the few things that I have been able to do 'naturally' when others have had to struggle to play the piano....I have to give the credit to God for this, and to no one else. I could not make all A's in math or science or history, no matter how hard I studied. In music and in art, I made A's. Music is as natural for me as speaking foreign language is to another...

I never put music as a god.....it is God who chose me to be an instrument of music, I believe, instead of being a surgeon, or scientist or mathemetician....I feel this, know it, and it is there...because it is automatic for me to play the piano, and transpose, and not even have to look at the keys. I say this not to brag, but to make a simple point that playing the piano is like walking. You don't have to think about taking each step when you walk...you just walk.

Here is somehting to ponder on. Granted that you love music but shouldnt you have love for Quran. How often do you read & understand (read translation etc) of the Quran compared to music.

Reading the Qur'an is very important. I love reading it!!!! It comes 'naturally' for me to understand what I read.....and it takes a lot of concentration to fully get the message which Allah provided for Muhammad for all of us.

The Qur'an is highly important....and I spend time reading it, which I love to do! I love to eat food, I love to drive a car, I love animals, I love to laugh, I love to pray, I love to play the piano......and NONE of these things are more important than reading the Qur'an, and most of all, Allah is the one true God that I worship! I do not worship music...never did that!

Sallam

Status
Not open for further replies.