Med students out there-USMLE

Mercury

:salam2:
everyone! Hope ur all fine and in the best of health. Im a med student soon to start 4th year in medical school. I'm studying in a pakistani med school where mbbs course is of 5 years. By the end of my 4th year i will be done with all my basic sciences.
Ive got all my USMLE material and I want to start and give it in 2010. But Im mega confused. My seniors have been telling me that 4th year is hard and I wont be getting much spare time while at college. So at the end , I think I'll have about 2 maximum 3 hours per day to spare for the USMLE. Is that enough? Most people out there are graduates and have a 24-hr time commitment. But Ill be attending college too with its tests and exams.
So, I need to know, is there any med student out there whos been through all this? Any graduates who've got advice?
I shall be waiting for a reply. Till then happy USMLE prep to all!!

:wasalam:

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

I am not sure what the study schedule is like for Pakistani medical students. I took my USMLE after completing my second year and had months off for prepp. Basically your time needed depends on your level of understanding. If you are a verys trong student then you should be ready, but if you were an everage student (like myself) then you need a lot of time.

This website http://www.prep4usmle.com/ has a lot of Indo-Pak students who can answer your question more accurately.

Wasalaam

Mercury

:salam2: Congratulations for getting through the USMLE! :) and Jazakallah khair for replying to my post! To know you did this all while being a med student at the same time gives people like me some encouragement! I need to ask you a few Q's and would be extremely grateful for advice
I've just started my USMLE prep for next year in March 2010. I'm a med student now will strt my 4th year. We study patho(special) and comm med in 4th year and there will be clinical rotations. Each day I will have 2-3 hours to spare for the usmle. So I guess I'll manage max 30 pages per day. Is that sufficient? That means I'll finish my 1st read in around 3 months.
I'll follow goljan patho and Hy neuro and for the rest of the subjects kaplan. Is that ok? Or do i need to do BRS physiology?
I shall also be doing first aid and kaplan Qbank in book form. I want to know when should I do the NBMEs and UWorld? Also are the kaplan DVDs worth going over?Ive got them but heard that only beh sciences is a must.
Please do let me know if I missing out something important and do give me ur advice. Thanks in advance :wasalam: