Myspace, Haram?????

Marwa17

Assalamu Alikum everyone,
I have a quick question (you might have guessed it from the title...:))...is myspace haram??? My brother has a myspace as well as all of my friends...adn what's really sad is that more of my muslim friends have a myspace but like non muslim friends are like "oh, i don't want to get raped...lol"....(it's probably because muslim people hide more things from their parents than nonmulims, sadly) anyways, let's say you don't do anything with it ie you're not using it to talk to a bf...no one's going to see your profile except friends...you'll only talk to people that you know...would that still be haram???...and also, there's "Muslimspace"...lol...(i started cracking up when I saw it)...is that haram too??? Like I seriously don't see a difference....appreciate any thoughts....I'm thinking even if you don't use it in a haram way, you still shouldn't do it b/c it's a waste of time...i want to tell other muslim girls i know...but they're like oh I don't say or do anything haram (i've seen they're myspaces...they lie sooooooo badly...lol...allah guide them)
Anyways, I just want some thoughts on this...salam

It all goes to what your intentions are, only you and God know that. Personally, I don't choose social websites like those is because it's just a bunch of gossip and a waste of time. The friends I have, I see just about once a week. They have my cell phone number and email.

On the other note I really can't be on those sites because I have a professional job with the government and they do all sorts of background checks. Better safe than sorry.

Take a look at this piece of article....

You might think your profile on Facebook or MySpace is just for fun, but some employers look up the online personas of their job candidates - or do simple name searches on Google - to get a more complete picture. "Many companies that recruit on college campuses have been using search engines like Google and Yahoo to conduct background checks on seniors looking for their first job," reports the New York Times. "But now, college counselors and other experts say, some recruiters are looking up applicants on social networking sites, where college students often post risque or teasing photographs and provocative comments about drinking, recreational drug use and sexual exploits in what some mistakenly believe is relative privacy."

Hope that helps

Salaamalik

samiha

---------
Staff member
:salam2:

hey... ummm just opinion here. i don't know if it's halaal or haraam, but it's definitely an invasion of privacy!

i used to have a xanga... last yr it waz like all my friends were gettin one and stuff, but then it was like i had to watch all i wrote cuz i didn't want them to be like in my private life and all... so it was weird, especially when odd ppl come and comment on things...

besides, like u said, it's so fake, i mean ppl on there are throwing out the person they 'want' to be, even if sometimes it all a lie.

I don't feel it nesessary, what i want others to know, I will tell them, I don't need my whole life sob story written out like a drama on the internet for any old hobo with acess to the internet to get!!

:wasalam:

rope7

Assalamu alaykum Warahmatullah

Some naseeha inshallah, firstly for myself and then for others. The likes of facebook, my space, etc is a waste of precious time, each breath not taken for Allah will be a cause of regret on the Day we stand before Him, let us take our time and strivings into account, A wise man once said: "I know none who has heard of Paradise and Hell, then spends an hour of his life without praying, remembering Allah or doing a good deed." A man said: "I weep so much." He said to him: "To laugh and admit your sins is better than to weep and feel proud of your deeds." The man said: "I need your advice." He said: "Abandon the life of this world to its people as they have abandoned the Hereafter to its people."

Instead of breaking this into a halal/haram issue, the better question is , is this thing im doing going to benefit my hereafter and hence the answer to that should guide ur actions.

Wasalamu Alaykum Warahmatullah

MubarekMuslimah

Salaams

Excellent advice, masha'allah - something we can and should apply to everything - makes me think about the time I spend on internet, TV etc....too much no doubt - its very easy to be too busy for Allah swt but never too busy for Shaytaan...we should safeguard ourselves.

May Allah swt guide us all

Salaams

3assal

Salam Aleikum Sisters,

I had a Myspace account and then I was introduced to MuslimSpace. I think both are a waste of time, and they promote interaction between men and women which can lead to inappropriate comments and behavior. While in Muslimspace I had many "brothers" contacting me asking me if I would like to get to know them. I reported this to the owner who asked me their names, my guess they are banned. So basically after this incident, I said bye bye to Muslimspace and myspace.

I agree with rope7, we should really think of what will be a benefit to us in the hereafter. InshAllah, we will be guided to the right path

w/s

galadari

mashallah........ fantastic advise is being given by rope....
im not in a state to advise ne one about using or not using these sites becos im a user myself.... and i remembr the hadith of prophet (PBUH) 'do not advise things which you don't do yourself' but inshallah i will be trying my best to stop using these sites becos 'we should breath only for sake of allah sobhanatala'
jazak allah........

TheKnowledgeSeeker

A Believer In Heart
assalamu alaykum

I don't know if it is haram or not but i think you as a muslim should decided if something is haram or halal especial if you don't know it. Think it this way haram if bad for you and halal is good for you so you should ask yourself if myspace is good for you or if you should be spending the time you spend in myspace on something that is good for you. Personal i hate those websites they kind of give me the craps i mean if you need to communicate with your friends call tham or email them.

Come2Quran

لا يُؤَاخِذُكُمُ اللَّهُ بِاللَّغْوِ
فِي أَيْمَانِكُمْ وَلَكِنْ يُؤَاخِذُكُمْ بِمَا كَسَبَتْ قُلُوبُكُمْ وَاللَّهُ
غَفُورٌ حَلِيمٌ
Allah will not call you to account for thoughtlessness in your oaths, but for the INTENTION in your hearts; and He is Oft-forgiving, Most Forbearing.
http://pallabi23.com/quran/surah.asp?search=intention&sbutton=Submit

Aliyah206

Assalamu Aliykum
speaking of MYSPACE..yes i've had myspace before and trust me it's filled with fitnaa.. even if your intensions were clear..it won't work beacuse it's like Shaytan's Space..major issues are the addiction to the site and people talking trash and non sense to you and more of shayna stuff..Wallahi it's a place no human with sense wants to be on it..and i feel very sad for our young brothers/sisters who are wasting their preciouse times on it...

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
I have a myspace acct. I use it to post pretty pictures of the wilderness. It's fine no one has approached me and no fitnah is going on at my space thats forsure. So my intention is not to use it for bad but to show the beauty of the west coast, and alhamdulillah Allah (SWT) knows best!

najbc

assalamu alaykum

In my opinion I think myspace is stupid and lame website and is for people that do not have anything to do. I do not know if it is harram but it is bad website.

Saeed O.J

Assalam Alykom

Reagrding myspace, music or any action that we do we must:

memorize the four steps to perfect our religion by the help of Allah (SWT):

1) Al-lahathat(looking towards women or men unlawfully, so lower your gazes,instead look at the creation of Allah (SWT), if this step is left empty without using the eyes on something that pleases Allah (SWT) *!*!*!*!an will eventually guide you to unlawful deeds, NEVER LEAVE IT EMPTY)

2) Al-Khatarat( its like a hungry/thirsty individual who imagine eating drinking water,rice, meat,fruits, and cakes, but he is not eating it neither drinking. Whoever reach this step, and brought it into a routine of imagination in unlawfully towards HARAM, he/she has damaged the dignity of the soul. Pure souls ''AL-motmaiina'' are the souls that dont accept any to imaginary thoughts about unrealistic issues, and everytime he/she reaches this stage avoid everything leading to it. This step can be used for the benefit of this ''Dunya'' to imagine for e.g employment, education perfect my behaviour, getting married. And can be used to benefit himself/herself for their hereafter, remembering Allah (SWT), reading/memorizing Qur'an, Umrah, using the our sight in praising Allah (SWT) for the beautiful creation on this Earth. If this step not used positvely towards your this life , and the Hereafter, believe me it will be used negatively towards this Life and the it will lead towards Hellfire (Wal eyatho Bellah).

3) Al-lafathat Basically it means speaking. Avoiding speaking unless it will benefit us in our religion. So if an individual decided to speak, look closely to what we are about to say, is there a benefit or not? if there isnt any benefit dont say a word. But there were a benefit ''guiding people toward Allah (SWT), or any words that pleases Allah (SWT) ''Kalematol Al-Haq'', dont waste it say it immediatly. Again Shiytan can use this step to misguide many and many people. We can easily fall into a sin, in a matter of one minute over 50 sins can be committted, and we can gain over 200 rewards be saying ''Alhamdullah '20' repeated ten times you got yourself 200 rewards from Allah (SWT). SO you can use this step to remember Allah (SWT) or something that benefit you, or remain silent and save yourself from the evil of tongue which shiytan can use it into his next step. Anas AL-Marfoua'a said '' You will not reach highest imaan unless your heart is pure and dedicated to Allah (SWT), and you will not have pure heart unless you have pure tongue that is dedicated to Allah (SWT). If this step not used to please Allah (SWT), shiytan again will use this step to misguide you. You either benefit you life and hereafter and get rewards from Al-Rahman or it will fall into major sins.

4) Al-Khatawat (Steps) this is the shiytan final step to guide you to the sin. SO use this step what pleases Allah (SWT) only for e.g, going to mosque, lecture, employment, holiday with the family, shopping, visiting the ill person,ect... Shiytan can use this step to misguide you into HARAM by bringing step 1,2,3, if you couldnt use those steps to please Allah (SWT), your more likley to committ a sin which step 4. For example, going to the bar on my lunch time with my university mates to play snooker, I dont drink but they do. This way I have failed step 1 (I came to a place that doesnt pleases Allah (SWT), failed step 2 (your friends are sinners, and you are more like to be influnced by them, at least you will imagine drinking and having fun no matter how long it will take..), failed step 3 (hanging around with people who drink alcohol obviously they will not remain silent but they will say words that doesnt please Allah (SWT) and if you avoid saying words, you are still lost somehow because ''silent can be a sin'' and you suppose to guide your friends not to say words that doesnt pleases Allah (SWT). You will eventually look weird to them ''doesnt drink, doesnt say a bad word, remind them that what they are talking about is a sin''.. Shaytan will push you to step 4 to avoid being weird around your mates, and defently will committ a sin, if not drinking, then saying words that doesnt pleases Allah (SWT)..

We must memorize this four steps in each and every deeds,words,thoughts till it becomes a habit to question ourselves ''How many sins did I committ today and which step have I failed and why''. It might seem to be hard work, but it will lead us to Jannah Inshallah.

Secondly, We must ask ourselves whether we are using each part of our organ in something that pleases Allah (SWT). To avoid sinning, remain busy with something that pleases Allah (SWT) if left empty it will be used against you by shiytan.

So where is myspace in this?.... Absouletly useless, by looking into the female or the male picture more than once, you have failed shiytans step number one. Regarding music ''Nancy Ajram', you would have failed step number 2, immediatly without even starting at step 1. This shows with music it is easy for shiytan to make us skip steps so fast till we committ a sin.

Wassalam Alykom...

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

I lost track of the times I sit there and try to ask about the benefits of myspace and facebook from people who have accounts on there.

It's just ridiculous..you get on there and you see someone who'd typed *hi girl..call me after class* to his/her friend when they've seen each other like 2 hours earlier..and they have each other's numbers and stuff..and people just *ache* to find a computer with internet access so they'd check their wall or whatever..it's like an addiction!

I asked my friend to show me what facebook is all about once (I didn't want to judge it before seeing it myself)..and I looked at the pictures..comments..and messages..and I just sat there with a confused look on my face..and just thought...are you serious? what is this?

and whatever people do..they take pictures of it...and post it on there..

I had to *sternly* ask a group of friends to stop trying to take pictures of me the last time we hung out..because I knew they were gonna end up on facebook a couple of hours later..and I don't my pictures on there at all

and they were looking at me like I was a complete creep or something..

La Hawla Wala Qowta Illa Billah!

but anyway..May Allah guide them and fill their time with love and worship for Him (swt)..Inshallah