10 die in Alabama shootings spree

Raihan

10 die in Alabama shootings spree

No mention of TERRORISM! :SMILY149:

No mention of RELIGION!:SMILY288:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/south_alabama_shootings

SAMSON, Ala. – Nine people were gunned down in a terrifying rampage across two Alabama counties by a lone shooter who authorities said burned down his mother's home with her inside, killed his own relatives on their porch and shot apparent strangers and police before killing himself.

Tuesday's shootings in a mostly rural area near the Florida border were believed to be the work of Michael McLendon, who lived with his mother and had once worked at a local metal plant.

The bloodshed began when McLendon burned down his mother's house in Kinston, according to Coffee County Coroner Robert Preachers. Authorities found Lisa McLendon's body inside, but they had not determined how she died or whether she was a 10th victim of her son's spree.

McLendon then drove a dozen miles southeast to Samson, in Geneva County, where he took down nine victims, including four members of his family. The rampage ended another 12 miles farther east in Geneva at the metals plant where McLendon had once worked. After a shootout with police, McLendon killed himself.

Investigators declined to comment on a motive for the shootings, in which at least four other people were injured, including a child. The victims' names have not been released.

"He cleaned his family out," Preachers said. "We don't know what triggered it."

After McLendon burned down his mother's home, he shot and killed five people on one porch and a 74-year-old woman next door in Samson, said Kirke Adams, district attorney for Geneva and Dale counties. Four of the six killed were members of McLendon's family.

Preachers had said McLendon's victims included his grandparents. But Adams said the 74-year-old victim might have been McLendon's great aunt.

The two unrelated victims were the wife and 18-month-old child of a Geneva County sheriff's deputy. They had stopped by the home to visit.

McLendon then drove around Samson, shooting out his car window, killing three more people seemingly at random.

"He sprayed bullets through the town," Adams said.

One woman was struck down as she walked out of a gas station. Another man was driving. Another man was shot as he tried to run away.

"In a cowardly act, he shot him in the back," Adams said.

McLendon fired several shots at a Wal-Mart store in Geneva. No one was killed, but it was unclear if anyone was injured.

"There's a lot of people who had close calls," Adams said.

Samson contractor Greg McCullough said he was pumping fuel at the gas station when the gunman roared into the parking lot and slammed on his brakes.

"I first thought it was somebody playing," McCullough said. Then he saw the rifle.

McLendon opened fire, killing the woman who walked outside and wounding McCullough with bullet fragments that struck his truck and the pump. At one point the rifle appeared to jam, then McLendon fired more shots before driving off.

"I'm just in awe that something like this could take place. That someone could do such a thing. It's just shocking," McCullough said.

Police pursued McLendon to Geneva's Reliable Metal Products, where he got out of his car and fired at police with his automatic weapon, wounding Geneva Police Chief Frankie Lindsey. He then walked inside and killed himself.

"He had plenty of ammo in his car and other weapons and he appeared to be going to do some damage there," Adams said.

There had recently been layoffs at the plant, but it was not immediately known if McLendon was among those losing their jobs. A person who answered the phone at the plant said no one could talk about the shooting.

Samson Mayor Clay King said he knew the gunman and the victims.

"What I'm focusing on is people here in the town, making sure they feel comfortable," said King, who added the town of about opened a crisis center at the First Baptist Church with counselors available. "I've lived here 44 years and never, never dreamed of this happening."

State Rep. Warren Beck, a Republican whose office is near the Wal-Mart, said his secretary heard gunfire everywhere.

"This is one of the most tragic events ever in Geneva County," he said.

Among others injured was a state trooper injured by broken glass after McLendon shot his cruiser seven times. A child of unknown age was taken to Wiregrass Medical Center in Geneva before being flown to another hospital, hospital administrator John Rainey said.

The hospital's staff was ready to treat more injured victims, but their hopes were dashed as death reports trickled in.

"Unfortunately, we were getting the same bad reports as everyone else: Most people were untreatable," Rainey said. "It's something you'd expect in Atlanta or your bigger cities, but in a little town it puts a lot of people in stress. Our nursing staff broke down in tears hearing what was going on and realizing they weren't going to be able to help them."

One of the spots sprayed with bullets was a hardware store in Samson. Yellow tape was strung across glass windows shattered by at least five bullets. A "closed" sign was on the ground outside atop glass shards.

Tommy Boyles, a 76-year-old security guard who works at the same plant where McLendon killed himself, said he and his wife were on the street nearby.

"We could have been caught up in it just as well as anyone else," he said. "That's what scares you: to be an innocent bystander and some nut walks up with a gun."
___
Associated Press Writers Garry Mitchell in Mobile, Bob Johnson in Montgomery and Anna Varela in Atlanta contributed to this report.

sajjuaiah

As-salaam alaikum,

Very true, they will never mention the relegion if he is christian/jew/hindu.
But if they were muslim it will come on front page.

"MUSLIM STUDENT KILLED SEVERAL DOZENS IN GERMANY SHOOTING"
"MUSLIM STUDENT KILLED AS MANY AS POSSIBLE IN ALABAMA"

Story goes on till everyone hate islam....

If i can still remember what happend in lodon about tv serial owner killed his wife.

They made lot of propaganda on "MUSLIM BRUTUALLY KILLED HIS WIFE"

I dont know, when this christians will open their eyes.

Media is playing big role to destroy the name of Islam.

IslamIsTheFuture

알라후 아크바르-Allah Akbar
Salam Alekum
Such a sad news to hear from Alabama 10 ppl dead and Germany 15 ppl dead.. :( SubhanAllah this is one of the small signs of judgement day is near... So many killings happening..

B-R-R

Purifying my soul!
Salam alaikum wa rahmatulah!

A priest wondered why Allah would let this happen. Too bad, that man doesn't undestand that Allah does everything according to his own will. He is the best of all planners.

We need to be patient, this was a warzone, I tell you. This is due to all violent films, video games, wars and hatred that people has for each other (lack of peace and tranquility). These massacres are calamity for the people in it but for us believers, this is a test. We need to be affraid of our Creater, we must value ourselves and start to think about Islam and us in a bigger picture.

-Why do we Love Islam?
-Why am I here?
-What/How can I contribute to the community?
-What do I need to do to ensure Jennah.

I think this is all sad, the thing that hurts me the most is that these children (maybe) never had a chance to learn and embrace Islam to enter Jennah. this is a test brothers and sisters, lets learn from it.

Inshallah, Allah (subhana wa ta a'la) will guide us to Jennah. Ameen

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
As-salaam alaikum,

Very true, they will never mention the relegion if he is christian/jew/hindu.
But if they were muslim it will come on front page.

"MUSLIM STUDENT KILLED SEVERAL DOZENS IN GERMANY SHOOTING"
"MUSLIM STUDENT KILLED AS MANY AS POSSIBLE IN ALABAMA"

Story goes on till everyone hate islam....

If i can still remember what happend in lodon about tv serial owner killed his wife.

They made lot of propaganda on "MUSLIM BRUTUALLY KILLED HIS WIFE"

I dont know, when this christians will open their eyes.

Media is playing big role to destroy the name of Islam.

Very true, very true. Or you may hear them saying:

"MILITANTS TRAINED BY IRAN AND SYRIA TERRORISED GERMANY AND US, TOTAL OF 28 INNOCENTS LIFE WERE KILLED"

especially if Bush is still in office....sure he will manipulate this and ask his not so intelligence services to spread the propaganda.

Khalil2u

welcome to America
now they will have tv shows on how could this happen
was this guy mentally ill
did his family treat him bad
they will turn this into a circus trying to understand y
the one thing we will never know is
he was a christian
he was a monster
he was a terrorist
they will run this story over and over and he will b a star
as far as the muslim guy who killed his wife
we heard muslim beheading
women r killed by their husbands every day and it never makes the news
but the muslim beheading made front page
thats how it works here
the media is here to hypnotize the ppl
u hear only bad things about muslims
how we the ppl need to pay billions or it will b the end of the world
how the army is running out of room so if u jobless hurry up n join
and where brittney and paris flashed their crotch
this is what americans r fed so they cant see the wrong their government does
they say we Muslims create fear and terror
but is is the us government who creates fear and terror
the ppl here are waiting every day for the Muslim bombs scared out of their minds but they never come. because the muslims r not the one with the bombs we are

mali1

What happened was sad and something that shud not have happened. However, I was watching "Lou Dobbs" last night and realized that he spoke about some "'islamist" terrorist with links to AlQaeda" and his next sentence was about the killings in Alabama. I know its useless to point it out to him (or anyone for that matter) - but here is the feedback that I posted on his website today:

QUOTE "I watched your show yesterday and it was funny to note that u mentioned the "islamic" terrorist who made some statement (adding "with links to AlQaeda) but failed to mention the religion of the boy who killed 11 in Alabama shooting. Why these double standards? You did the same with the 'muslim' guy who killed his wife but no mention of the religion of the german kid who killed 15 in school shoot-out. Ideally you shud have followed your pattern and said something like "the cathloic cristian boy with links to vatican killed 10 innocent people" UNQUOTE

Lets see if they will even mention this (which I am sure they won't) :))

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2:

i don't think that you'll ever hear these acts being called terrorist acts because it would mean that the profilers would have to begin profiling themselves.
:wasalam:

sazk

Banned
as salamo 3laikum,

God has a sense of humor. The stupidest nation on the planet is the one that acts like the world's policeman