How would you argue with a non muslim who has said this?

charity

:salam2:

I was explaining to a nonmuslim why we dont celebrate birthdays and this is the answer i got from them. What would you then tell the nonmuslim?

What I said:The Prophet pbuh did not celebrate his birthday when he was alive nor did he celebrate anyone elses birthday for that matter. Plus the fact is that after his death, none of the companions or the followers after the companions celebrated his birthday. If it was something we should do indeed the Prophet would have done it and his followers would have kept up the tradition and done it.

The nonmuslims answer
The prophet didn't drive a car in his life either, or for that matter watch tv, or go to the mall....(the list is endless) does that mean that these things are haraam?

Thanks for your help.

--Charity

Musulmanin

A car, TV, computers are not religeous innovations.

Celebrating Prophet's (saw) birthday is introducing something directly to Islam, to the Deen.

You don't drive a car as an act of praising Allah. But celebrating Muhammad's birthday is mistakenly believed to be an act of something pleasing to Allah. If this would be so, Muhammad (saw) would have told us and celebrated it himself. Since he did not do it and did not tell others to do it, it is worthless.

It's like Christians sing and dance in church thinking it is something God wants them to do, and is pleased with their choirs. But if this would be beneficial, Jesus (pbuh) would have done it himself and taught others a few moves and gave a few music lessons :astag:. But Prophets of Allah did not do it. So people invent things to please themselves and then attribute/dedicate it to God. :astag:

I hope this simple answer helps.

:wasalam:

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

True..Rasulullah didn't drive a car..or use a phone for example...

But...

Is having a birthday party..as VITAL and as IMPORTANT..as having a car to go to school or work???..or carrying a phone for emergencies or to remain in contact with someone?????

Islam has a huge focus on emulating the laws of Allah and the character of His prophet (pbuh) and his successors...the reason why there's a focus on that is...

1. The laws of Allah are divine and infallible...and they fit every generation and every age and are worthy of commitment because you *cannot go wrong* with them...

2. Rasulullah was inspired by Allah in word and action..so again..the source is divine and infallible..and thus..we cannot go wrong..

3. The successors of Rasulullah..were practically "raised" by him (alaihi assalat wassalam)..so they understand the deen better than many of us..and they were men of sound faith and practice!..so we have *further* examples of how one can lead a successful life (and hereafter..with the will of Allah) through the emulation and commitment to Allah's laws and his mesenger!

Besides...in a birthday party..there could be mixing of genders..which is HARAM..in a birthday party..there's music...those who don't fully say it's haram..say it's MAKROOH..those who say it is haram..well..IT'S HARAM!..and essentially..MAKROOH is haram...so yeah..that's a second haram..then think of the expenses made for food..drinks..clothes..cake..etc. which is all going towards something which serves no noble purpose..so if it is not haram..then if you sit down and think about how highly charity is recommended in Islam and how much it is suggested that we avoid unnecessary luxuries..then you got a 3rd reason..why celebrating a birthday..conflicts with a Muslim's way of life

Of course..I can come up with more..but I think giving the basics should be sufficient to make a good argument...

Setting fatwas aside for a second...and looking at it just *logically*

I still DO NOT comprehend the WISDOM..behind celebrating GETTING OLDER!!!..and I don't understand why anybody would organize..nonetheless..attend a celebration of no benefit whatsoever!...it's just one big silly tradition started by a pagan CULT in Persia and The Roman Empire called Mithras!..and I don't know why anybody would purposely pick to be *backward* enough to emulate PAGANS in the 21st century!

mhamzah

Salam Alakum

The argument is flawed because;

If Rasool Allah (pbuh) wanted he could have celebrated his b'day, but he didnt.

However he didnt drive a car or watch tv, because these things didnt exist back than.

So some things were possible back than, but he didn't do others he did or allowed. Others were simply not possible.

Rashadi

I was explaining to a nonmuslim why we dont celebrate birthdays and this is the answer i got from them. What would you then tell the nonmuslim?

What I said:The Prophet pbuh did not celebrate his birthday when he was alive nor did he celebrate anyone elses birthday for that matter. Plus the fact is that after his death, none of the companions or the followers after the companions celebrated his birthday. If it was something we should do indeed the Prophet would have done it and his followers would have kept up the tradition and done it.

The nonmuslims answer
The prophet didn't drive a car in his life either, or for that matter watch tv, or go to the mall....(the list is endless) does that mean that these things are haraam?

Thanks for your help.

--Charity

Salaam Aleykom, tell the person that in the time of the prophet(saaws) people wrote horses, donkeys, camels, etc and the prophet did so too. If there were cars in his time, he would have used them as well. This is a silly arguement but then again this only comes from the mouth of a non-believer. Celebrating birth days existed in the time of the prophet and he did not celebrate it it nor did any of his followers or companions. Celebrating b-days would be an innovation and drivig cars is not the same because it has nothing to do with something like celebrating holidays, festivals that are not sanctioned by God and his messenger.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman

The nonmuslims answer

Thanks for your help.

--Charity

i think not celebrating birthdays is really about that birthday celebrations are kind of like a minor version of comitting shirk against ALLAH SWT. it's like shirk because for that particular day the person is the center of everyone's attention and is receiving special treatment and getting gifts etc. we should be placing ALLAH SWT as the center of attention, we should be praising ALLAH SWT not another human being, especially since that human being didn't give himself life.

as far as what the person said about the Prophet :saw: not driving a car or watching TV. i understand that view for some matters, but as far as bid'a ( innovation in religion ) is a different thing. if we add or substract to islam, then quite frankly it isn't islam anymore.

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother

A car, TV, computers are not religeous innovations.

Celebrating Prophet's (saw) birthday is introducing something directly to Islam, to the Deen.

You don't drive a car as an act of praising Allah. But celebrating Muhammad's birthday is mistakenly believed to be an act of something pleasing to Allah. If this would be so, Muhammad (saw) would have told us and celebrated it himself. Since he did not do it and did not tell others to do it, it is worthless.

It's like Christians sing and dance in church thinking it is something God wants them to do, and is pleased with their choirs. But if this would be beneficial, Jesus (pbuh) would have done it himself and taught others a few moves and gave a few music lessons :astag:. But Prophets of Allah did not do it. So people invent things to please themselves and then attribute/dedicate it to God. :astag:

I hope this simple answer helps.

MashAllah, great answers. The rest also gave equally good and realistic answers.

Ashima33

Salaam Alaikum,

I have a feeling that if Mohammed (pbuh) were here he would probably ride a bike or walk whenever possible and probably drive/fly when absolutely necessary. I mean.... cars ARE bad for the environment, of course. But erm... I dunno. Just a thought.

Wasalaam.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
Is the person saying "Birthday of the Prophet (saw)" Or "Birthdays in general"?? Because to me, the first post seems like it's referring to birthdays in general.

I read a really reasonable argument once somewhere that what is the point of someone celebrating a birthday, and people saying "Happy birthday" to them? What did that person do to be congratulated? After all, its just a milestone meaning that the person is one year closer to the grave. And besides, no one thinks of what the poor mother was going through that day. If anything, this should be a day when the mother is honoured more than any one else. :hearts:

Saidsaad

Salam, I have never made a fuss over my birthday over the years. I think it is just another day like every other in my life, if a year wasn't 12 months but every 3 or 6 months would people still be celebrating them this often?