Muslim smokers worse than cows: Malaysia cleric

maden.nur

Malaysia's top Muslim cleric slams at smokers
Muslim smokers worse than cows: Malaysia cleric

KUALA LUMPUR (AlArabiya, Reuters)

Muslims who smoke and try to portray themselves as religious are worse than cows that defecate in the street, a top Malaysian Muslim cleric and politician said on Friday, pointing out that smoking was banned in Islam because the habit was hazardous to health.

"For example, a cow which defecates in the middle of the road, (we) cannot take legal action against it because it has no brain and cannot think," said Nik Aziz who is the spiritual leader of the country's Pan-Islamic Party (PAS).

" But human beings, who have brains, for them to do something which is wrong in religion ... can be regarded as being more despicable than cows "
Nik Aziz

"But human beings, who have brains, for them to do something which is wrong in religion ... when they are in an attire which symbolizes Islam [hijab or skull cap], they can be regarded as being more despicable than cows," he said in his weekly religious speech, according to Malaysia's state news agency Bernama.

Recently, Indonesia's top Islamic body passed a fatwa or ruling banning smoking. Malaysia's top Islamic body has also banned smoking.

Despite the ban in Malaysia, where over half the population of 27 million is Muslim, 50 percent of the male population smokes according to World Health Organization (WHO) data.

PAS is one of the three parties in Malaysia's opposition alliance led by former deputy prime minister Anwar Ibrahim.

IslamIsTheFuture

알라후 아크바르-Allah Akbar
The article was put in a good way 4 the smokers.. thanx 4 sharing it :) They should ban smoking in all Islamic countries.. I hate second hand smoke.. I usually get second hand smoke and its wrost then thoes who smoke.. annoys me a lot.. BAN SMOKING!!

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
All praise and thanks to Allah, The Lord of the Worlds.

Nik Abdul Aziz is the current chief minister of Kelantan, one of the 14 states situated north-east of peninsular Malaysia. He also a religious teacher and Malaysia'a no.1 ulama. Some of his comment will draw strong responds from muslim and non-muslim but at the end of the day he will stand by his whatever statement he makes even if someone threaten to sue him if he refused to apologise. He speaks plain truth. He is the only chief minister that gives Friday's sermon and also regularly conduct religious talk at masjid without failed.

When he first ruled the state of Kelantan, he took a giant step by instructing state finance officer to close all conventional bank accounts and transfer the funds into Islamic bank account. That time Malaysia has only one Islamic bank so some bankers approached him and advised Tok Guru (teacher) Nik Aziz "you should not keep all eggs in one basket" to which Tok Guru informed the bankers that he is aware of the risk but he had no choice but to obey Allah. He has been the chief minister since 1990 undefeated in every elections and up to know Kelantan state is still stable financially. Most of Kelantanese have very good Islamic background and most of famous Islamic schools and scholars are usually from the state of Kelantan.

Though a politician, but he seldom talk about politic in his talk but more on Islam and daawa. Nowadays I see non-muslim also started to respect him so much because he voiced out openly if any of non-muslim rights being denied by the authorities.

Alhamdulillah, for Allah to send us such a leader. Pls make dua for us to have more leaders like him in Malaysia.

fmpts

Interesting... I smoked in High School but felt I was disrespecting God as he gave me this body and it works best when I don't put bad things into it. I wonder/hope if this will stop people from smoking and polluting their bodies.

colleen.eha

Smoking is horrible.
As a convert, I gave up alcohol and pork.
I was also a smoker, gave up that, too.

Allah gave us the blessing of life - why make it shorter than it needs to be?