Magic

stiks

Amatur-Rahman
:salam2:

Magic

Real Magic is of only one type – shirk. The other type of magic is fake magic, and this includes modern day tricks and illusions. Both types, however, are haram. We are concerned primarily here with the real type of magic.

The reality of magic is seeking help from the jinn. Jinn are made of smokeless fire. They can take different forms, they are invisible to us, and they are stronger than men on average. They can transform matter and transport it even through walls,

“He said: “O chiefs! Which of you can bring me her throne before they come to me surrendering themselves in obedience?” An Ifrit (strong) from the jinns said: “I will bring it to you before you rise from your place (council). And verily, I am indeed strong, and trustworthy for such work.” One with whom was knowledge of the Scripture said: “I will bring it to you within the twinkling of an eye!” then when [Sulaiman (Solomon)] saw it placed before him, he said: “This is by the Grace of my Lord to test me whether I am grateful or ungrateful! And whoever is grateful, truly, his gratitude is for (the good of) his ownself, and whoever is ungrateful, (he is ungrateful only for the loss of his ownself). Certainly! My Lord is Rich (Free of all wants), Bountiful.”” (27:38-40)

Men have been preferred over jinn by Allah, and this is proven when Allah commanded the jinn to prostrate to Adam. Men have been preferred over jinn due to being given knowledge and intellect. Jinn learn our languages, and follow the religions we follow. Since the time of Adam, the jinn have suffered from an inferiority complex.

Generally speaking the worlds of men and jinn do not cross each other. The only intentional encounter that exists between the two is that of black magic.

The nature of jinns is that they crave attention and adoration. In order for the jinn to work for you, it must be ‘pleased’, i.e. worshipped.

No human being other than Sulaymaan (as) can control jinn. All black magicians worship Shaytaan. Even pious Jews and Christians will not be black magicians. Black magic is literally selling one’s soul to the devil.

“They followed what the Shayatin (devils) gave out (falsely of the magic) in the lifetime of Sulaiman (Solomon). Sulaiman did not disbelieve, but the Shayatin (devils) disbelieved, teaching men magic and such things that came down at Babylon to the two angels, Harut and Marut, but neither of these two (angels) taught anyone (such things) till they had said, “We are only for trial, so disbelieve not (by learning this magic from us).” And from these (angels) people learn that by which they cause separation between man and his wife, but they could not thus harm anyone except by Allah’s Leave. And they learn that which harms them and profits them not. And indeed they knew that the buyers of it (magic) would have no share in the Hereafter. And how bad indeed was that for which they sold their ownselves, if they but knew.” (2:102)

Types of Magic

1. Summon jinns to attack or even kill other people, or take over their bodies.

1. Summon jinns to break marriages, prevent or hinder intercourse. This is the most common type of black magic and is what was mentioned in Surah al-Baqarah.

1. Blow on knots with incantations. This is mentioned in Surah Falaq (“And from the evil of the witchcrafts when they blow in the knots,” (113:4) and happened to the Prophet(saw) but didn’t affect the religion or Quran as the orientalists claim. It just made him forget if he was with one of his wives or not. This also shows virtue in Surah an-Nas and al-Falaq infighting magic.

1. Fighting magic with magic. This is when someone tries to use “white” magic or try to use magic to lift other spells. It is not possible for someone to have control of the jinn after Propphet Sulayman (as). Once “while praying an obligatory prayer, he (saw) clenched his fist (during it), so when he had finished, the people said: ‘O Messenger of Allaah, did something happen during the prayer?’ He said: No, except that the devil wanted to pass in front of me, so I strangled him until I could feel the coldness of his tongue on my hand By Allaah! Had my brother Sulaimaan not beaten me to it (38:35-38), I would have tied him (the devil) to one of the pillars of the mosque so that the children of Madinah could walk round him. (Ahmad)

1. Those whom the jinns whisper to, while pretending to see future; any type of fortune-tellers. The Prophet (saw) said, “They (the Jinn) would pass the information back down until it reaches the lips of a magician fortune-teller. Sometimes a meteor would overtake them before they could pass it on. If they passed it on before being struck, they would add to it a hundred lies.” (Al-Bukhari and Tirmidhi)

1. Looking at the stars to predict the future.

We can see from the ayah in Surah al-Baqarah that practicing magic is kufr. The Prophet (saw) also said, “Whoever ties a knot and blows into it has practiced sorcery, and whosoever practiced sorcery has associated partners with Allaah. Whoever wears anything for protection (i.e. talismans, pendants etc.) will be left in its care.” (An-Nasaa’ee)

“Keep away from the seven destructive sins!” They said, “What are they, O Messenger of Allaah?” He answered, “Associating partners with Allaah; Practicing Sorcery; taking a life, which Allaah has made forbidden except for a just cause (according to Islaamic Law); eating Riba (usury) eating up an orphan’s wealth; fleeing from the battle field at the time of fighting (with the unbelievers); and accusing chaste women, who never think of anything that can touch their chastity and who are good believers, of fornication.” (Al-Bukhari & Muslim)

The penalty for practicing magic is death.

“Capital punishment for the sorcerer has been authentically reported from three companions of the Prophet. It is reported from Umar that he wrote, “Kill every sorcerer and sorceress.” Bujaalah (a sub-narrator) said, “Then we killed three sorceresses.” It is also authentically reported from Hafsah that she ordered a maid of hers to be killed because she did sorcery on her.” Jundub bin Kaab was also authentically reported that he beheaded a magician who was playing his magic in front of Waleed and said, “Let him use his magic for his own benefit now.” (Al-Imaam Ahmad)

Astrology vs. Astronomy

Astronomy: Physical science which maps the movement of stars.

Astrology: Paranormal, metaphysical craft which pretends to predict the future. Zodiacal signs come under this category.

“Allah created these stars for three reasons: (i) To adorn the heaven, (ii) as missiles against the devils and (ii) as signs by which (the traveller) may be guided; and so whoever claims more than this for them has is erroneous and has lost his reward (on the Day of Resurrection) and taken upon himself that of which he has no knowledge.” (Al-Bukhari)

“We have adorned the lowest heaven with lamps (stars), and We have made them the means of driving away shayaateen.” (Al-Mulk, 67:5)

“…as well as the stars; to be used for navigation” (An-Nahl, 16:16)

Fortune telling is the least form of black magic.

Ibn Abbaas reported that the Prophet (saw) said, “Whoever learns a part of astrology, has learnt a part of magic. Those who learn more accumulate more.” (Abu Dawud)

“Whoever visits a soothsayer and believes in what he says has disbelieved in what was revealed to Muhammad.” (Related by Abu Dawood and Al-Haakim in his Mustadrak)

“Whoever went to a fortune-teller and asked him about some matter (i.e. of the unseen), will have his prayer rejected for forty days.” (Muslim)

This hadith does not mention believing the fortune-teller, its simply asking them, even if for fun.

To believe anything from them is kufr and just going is sin. If you believe what they have said, then you have given them an Attribute of Allah.

To combat black magic is by turning to Allah. The jinn cannot bear to hear the Quran, so if someone cannot bear to hear the Quran, then this is a sign of black magic.

stiks

Amatur-Rahman
Going to Astrologers and Believing Them

There are many ahaadeeth which state that this is haraam, such as the hadeeth narrated from Safiyah bint Abi ‘Ubayd from one of the wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), who narrated that he said: “Whoever goes to a soothsayer and asks him about something and believes him, his prayer will not be accepted for forty days.” (Narrated by Muslim in his Saheeh). Qusaybah ibn al-Mukhaariq said: “I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: ‘Al-‘ayaafah, al-tiyarah and al-turuq [kinds of augury] are all part of al-jabt [witchcraft or idolatry].’” This was narrated by Abu Dawood with a saheeh isnaad. Abu Dawood said: Al-‘ayaafah, al-khatt and al-turuq are all kinds of augury, whereby a bird is released and is watched to see whether it flies to the right or to the left. If it flies to the right it is taken as a good omen and if it flies to the left it is taken as a bad omen. Al-Jawhari said: al-jabt is a word which may be applied to idols, soothsayers, magicians, astrologers etc.

It was narrated that Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever seeks knowledge from the stars is seeking one of the branches of witchcraft…” Narrated by Abu Dawood with a saheeh isnaad.

It was narrated that Mu’aawiyah ibn al-Hakam said: “I said, ‘O Messenger of Allaah, I am still close to the time of Jaahiliyyah [i.e., I am new in Islam]. Allaah has brought Islam to us, but there are among us men who go to soothsayers (fortune tellers).’ He said, ‘Do not go to them.’ I said, ‘And there are men among us who practise augury [watch birds for omens].’ He said, ‘That is something which they make up. Do not believe them.’” (Narrated by Muslim).

It was narrated from Abu Mas’ood al-Badri that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade the price of a dog, the fee of a prostitute and the payment of a soothsayer. (Narrated by al-Bukhaari and Muslim).

It was reported that ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: “Some people asked the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) about soothsayers. He said, ‘They are nothing.’ They said, ‘O Messenger of Allaah, sometimes they say something and it comes true.’ The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘That is a word of truth that the jinn snatches and whispers into the ear of his familiar, but they mix a hundred lies with it.’” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari and Muslim).

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever comes to a soothsayer and believes what he says, or has intercourse with a woman in her back passage, has nothing to do with that which has been revealed to Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).” (Narrated by Abu Dawood).

… The scholars have stated that it is haraam to deal with such matters or to go to find out about them or to believe in them. It is haraam to pay them money, and anyone who is suffering from any of these things must hasten to repent from it. And Allaah knows best.

stiks

Amatur-Rahman
Repentance After Visiting a Fortuneteller

The ahaadeeth of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) clearly state that it is forbidden to go to soothsayers and fortunetellers.But not everyone who goes to a fortuneteller or a soothsayer is a mushrik in the sense of major shirk that puts one beyond the pale of Islam. Rather going to a fortuneteller or soothsayer falls into different categories. It may be major shirk, or it may be a sin, or it may be permissible.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:

Those who go to fortunetellers fall into three categories:

1 - The one who goes to a fortuneteller and asks him things without believing in what he says. This is haraam, and the punishment of the one who does that is that his prayers are not accepted for forty days, as it is narrated in Saheeh Muslim (2230), that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever goes to a fortuneteller and asks him about something, his prayer will not be accepted for forty days.”

2 - When a person goes to a fortuneteller and asks him about something and believes what he says. This is disbelief in Allaah (kufr), because he is believing the fortuneteller’s claim to have knowledge of the unseen, and believing a human’s being claim to have knowledge of the unseen constitutes disbelief in the verse in which Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say: None in the heavens and the earth knows the Ghayb (Unseen) except Allaah”

[al-Naml 27:65].

Hence it says in the saheeh hadeeth: “Whoever goes to a fortuneteller and believes what he says has disbelieved in that which was revealed to Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).”

3 - When he goes to a fortuneteller and asks him questions so that he can explain to the people what he is really doing, which is deceiving people and leading them astray. There is nothing wrong with this. The evidence for that is the fact that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) went to Ibn Sayyaad. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) though of something to himself. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) asked him what he was thinking of and he said, “Al-dukh” meaning al-dukhaan (smoke). End quote.

Majmoo’ Fataawa wa Rasaa’il al-Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 2/184

Based on this, whoever goes to a fortuneteller or soothsayer and believes what he says and believes that he has knowledge of the unseen has committed major kufr which puts him beyond the pale of Islam. But if he does not believe what he says then he has not committed kufr.

Whatever the case, the door of repentance is open, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah will accept the repentance of His slave so long as the death rattle has not reached his throat.” (3537)

I.e., so long as the soul has not reached the throat. Every sin from which a man repents, Allaah will accept his repentance. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say: O ‘Ibaadi (My slaves) who have transgressed against themselves (by committing evil deeds and sins)! Despair not of the Mercy of Allaah, verily, Allaah forgives all sins. Truly, He is Oft?Forgiving, Most Merciful”

[al-Zumar 39:53]

Whatever sin a person falls into, if he repents from it, his repentance will be accepted - even shirk.

The basic principle is that the kaafir - and also the apostate from Islam - is required to utter the Shahaadatayn in order to enter Islam. If your going to the fortuneteller falls under the third category mentioned above, then you must utter the Shahaadatayn. As you have repented and started to live aright, you must have repeated the Shahaadatayn many times, so now you do not have to do anything. But you must resolve never to go back to such things again.

And strive to acquire knowledge so that you may worship Allaah with understanding.

We ask Allaah to help you to do that which He loves and is pleased with.

(Islam Q&A)

Muslimah-S

Seek The Almighty
:salam2: sister Stiks,
JazzakAllahu khair for sharing a beneficial article.
Black magic is an evil act and may Allah protect us from learning or practicing such thing and protect us from the evil thereof. Ameen.

A request sister can you please reduce the font size of the article it makes it easier to read, shukran. :)

stiks

Amatur-Rahman
What If What the Fortuneteller Said Is True?

It is not permissible to go to soothsayers and fortune tellers, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever goes to a fortune-teller and asks him about something, his prayer will not be accepted for forty nights.” Narrated by Muslim (2230).And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever has intercourse with a menstruating woman or with a woman in her back passage, or goes to a fortune teller and believes what he says, has disbelieved in that which Allaah revealed to Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).” Narrated by Abu Dawood (3904), al-Tirmidhi (3904) and Ibn Majaah (936); classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Ibn Maajah.

The kufr mentioned in the hadeeth is to be understood in the sense of minor or lesser kufr, according to many scholars, unless he believes that the witch or soothsayer has knowledge of the unseen or he believes his claims to have knowledge of the unseen.

The one who has fallen into any of these matters must repent to Allaah, by regretting what he has done and resolving not to do it again.

Secondly:

As for what the fortune teller told him coming true day after day, this doesn’t matter, and it does not affect the shar’i ruling in such cases at all. This may be due to one of two things:

1 - That the fortune teller used general words and phrases that reflect things that happen to all people, such as saying “you will go through some trials, then you will find relief” or “you will be blessed with some wealth” or “you will get married” and so on, and the person thinks that the fortune teller is telling the truth because of that.

2 - The fortune teller told him of something true that would happen in the future, then it happened as he said it would. This is something that the shaytaan snatched for him from the heavens, then passed it on to the fortune teller, who added lies and false things to it. If the incident that he spoke of happens, people believe everything he said. This is what the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) pointed out when he explained this matter. Al-Bukhaari (6213) and Muslim (2228) narrated that ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: Some people asked the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) about soothsayers. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to them: “They are nothing.” They said: O Messenger of Allaah, sometimes they tell us something that turns out to be true. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “That is a word from the jinn that the jinni snatches, and he cackles it into the ear of his familiar as a hen cackles, but they mix more than a hundred lies with it.”

al-Bukhaari (4701) narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When Allaah decrees a matter in heaven, the angels beat their wings in submission to His words, making a sound like a chain striking a rock. When the fear is banished from their hearts, they say, What is it that your Lord has said? They say: The truth, and He is the Most High, the Most Great. Then the one who is listening out hears that, and those who are listening out are standing one above the other” - Sufyaan [one of the narrators] demonstrated with his hand, holding it vertically with the fingers outspread. - “So he hears what is said and passes it on to the one below him, and that one passes it to the one who is below him, and so on until it reaches the lips of the soothsayer or fortune-teller. Maybe the meteor will hit him before he can pass anything on, or maybe he will pass it on before he is hit. He tells a hundred lies alongside it, but it will be said, Did he not tell us that on such and such a day, such and such would happen? So they believe him because of the one thing which was heard from heaven.” i.e., he is believed because of the one true word that was heard from heaven and passed on to the fortune teller.

If we assume that the fortune teller told him something that did actually happen, such as if he told him about where a lost item was to be found, or some such, and this is what happened, if the questioner did not know it, then it is not “unseen” in absolute terms, rather it was “unseen” to the one who did not see it or know it. The fortune teller is able to see such things, either by himself or with the help of his helpers among the devils of mankind and the jinn, as is well known.

To sum up: So long as your friend has repented to Allaah, then he should not pay any attention to what the fortune-teller said or be afraid of what he said. Some of the things he mentioned may happen, or they may not. Usually they do not happen, because the ratio of truth - if the fortune teller receives information from the jinn - is no more than 1%.

(Islam Q&A)

Amina 1

:salam2:

Jazak Allah Khayrun

Thank you for this information. I have a question I used to be a clown and did a silly magic show for the children. This is Haram??