Beauty/Looks are important?

are looks important

• Total voters

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
cutting nails is must for a human being as it is sunnah .. ya ! mostly Mongolians dont cut thier nails....i dont know anything about Singapore , i feel Singapore is a nice country , but , dont know ..never been to Singapore

Posts like the one above should be avoided, lets not make baseless accusations against any particular race inshaAllaah.

And just for the ref, I've seen many pictures of Singapore from friends who visited the country and automatically, the first thing that comes to mind about the environment is just how clean it is.

When I visited my home country I had to hold my abayah six inches off the ground in a lot of areas!

I get the feeling my post is off topic.

Wasalam!

q8penpals

Salam

I think the topic has gone off-course. :)

that said, I think that there is a problem asking about beauty in a person. As i saw mentioned at least once in the thread, beauty is a personal thing. Think of parents - if a mother gives birth to a baby with a birth defect, that baby still is beautiful to the mother and father; they will see their loving child as beautiful their whole lives. And what is beautiful in one culture may not be in another (for instance, I am pasty white, and when I am home in America, most people pity me for being so pale and white; when I am in kuwait, I get so many compliments on my white skin - so, is my white skin beautiful or not?). And what is beautiful at one point in time may not be considered beautiful a few years later (in the past, many times having a large-fat wife was considered beautiful and a sign of the prosperity of the husband; nowadays, if you are fat, people think you are a lazy slob).

I think that yes, you have to be attracted to the person that you will marry, but seriously, I have a friend who married a guy that she cannot say enough about (for his looks) and I wouldn't have given him a second glance. Every single person interprets beauty differently; the size and shape of nose, the color of skin, height and weight, body shape/build - all completely subjective, so the answers are too arbitrary anyway. Also, let's say you married THE most handsome man or most beautiful lady, and after a few years of marriage, after you loved the person a whole bunch, they got in a terrible car accident and their face was disfigured...if beauty is so important, would you leave your spouse because they are now no longer considered beautiful by society?

I voted NO that beauty isn't important to me - but my husband is the most handsome man in the world anyway, mashaAllah, so I don't have to worry! ;-) :hearts:

slave_of_Allah

Looks fade away with time. The only beauty that remains is the beauty of the heart. We should all try to perfect ourselves from the inside, and our outer appreance will shine by the grace of Allah.

Allah looks not at how we look, rather what is in your heart.

It's about the ideas we carry, our beliefs, whether we implement what we preach to others. Why do looks matter, when they fade away so quickly.

Looks destroy a person - they get to your head. Your only worry should be about beautifying your character - for that is what is going to get you jannah, by the grace of Allah.

lostlilly07

striving 4 Firadous
No, not for me, I am more of a personality person. but I will admit that i need someone I am attracted to but personality is my thing.

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....
In essence, looks are not important in the sense that beauty is only skin deep. However, take a look at the world around us and how physical perceptions of beauty influence so much around us. In that sense, yes - beauty is important (to the majority of people anyway) otherwise it would not be having the impact that is.

q8penpals

Salam

I think a better question would be, "would you marry a person you were not attracted to physically?" is better than just asking about beauty. Obviously, physical attraction should not be the only consideration, neither should beauty.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Salam

I think a better question would be, "would you marry a person you were not attracted to physically?" is better than just asking about beauty. Obviously, physical attraction should not be the only consideration, neither should beauty.

Assalamu Allaicomu sister

I think the thread was not about marriege,neither was question about who to marry,and less about some attraction!!!

It was generaly about beauty.

May Allah bless you

:wasalam:

allah is with me

Rabana Wa laqal Hamd
"oh ! well, bro , come on ...i did not compare Mongolians of this forum .. but i compared cheap Mongolians , you know, Christians ... are many idiotic religions .plz ! i will never compare Mongolians related to this forum ...sorry Mongolians of this forum if you saw my thread .. i promise i never said it to you....plz AlQurtubi dont misunderstand me .. if you misunderstand me , then whole forum members will misunderstand me , thinking that i am wrong ... i am so sorry AlQurtubi if i said something wrong .... i am so mad , that, i myself dont know what i say sometimes ... i am sorry ..plz correct me if i am wrong "

"niqabi ? which girl is that ...and 31 ? hey ! come on ! who is that girl ... and you never invited me to your marriage (just kidding).. sorry if i said something wrong .. plz dont mind my words, i am like this ... gota change "

Lol sister. mashALLAH you are such a joy. Mongolians of this forum..lol .. Are there any mongols? i dont think so. But i like moongolians for their fierce attack in history. They were brave. And I didnt take you wrong sister and I am sure no one has.

I was just joking regarding Singaporeans. There must be pious muslims there who are clean and like "muslims".

i feel the same . like no mongolians here in this forum .... but,your right....

AyeshaL

Looks will fade!!

Are looks important?

As a 'hijaabi' sister I am hoping that the brothers out there value other things more highly than looks! When we put on our hijaabs and choose not to wear tight clothes we also hope not to be judged alongside non-Muslim women in this way!

Fair enough - I do think it's important to see your future / spouse as good looking but that is right at the bottom of my list of priorities. I would rather my husband feared Allah, treated me the way he should, practised his deen and encouraged me to do the same, and that we journed together through life learning more about Allah and Islam. LOOKS WILL FADE! And also, the more you get to know someone the more beautiful / ugly they can become!!!

Jaunty

:salam2:

Bismillah.

Are people who say looks aren't important lying?

I think yes, a big fat lie to avoid sounding shallow. People say no but the first thing most looks at is the looks and then every thing else.

It generally depends on the situation and in what sense you're considering looks to be important. Are you thinking in the sense of choosing a soul mate? Or in everyday life etc.

Looks don't matter much in practical life. People who are useful for others. Who can get work done when needed are generally accepted whether or not they're good looking. Looks count to some extent as they improve your personality but not as much important when it comes to professional life.

revert2007

Love Fishing
the looks depend on individual..a girl might look ugly in the eye of the society but she might look very beautiful in the eye who has her heart(the person who wanna marry her)...so we cant just conclude that she is ugly in our eye and she will be ugly in others eyes as well..

i personally think there is no such thing as ugly...every cretion of Allah is beautiful....it is about compatibility that makes someone "ugly" or not "ugly"...

it is about two hearts get attracted to each other for the sake of Allah...

so it depends on each individual..if a man marry a beautiful woman..that is not his fault...if a man marry an "ugly" woman,that is not his fault as well..the two hearts are compatible so they got married...do not judge or conclude base on what we see unless that guy himself admitted that

"i dont like ugly girls,i only care beautiful girls and i marry her coz of her beauty"

arzafar

well i read somewhere that Allah is beautiful and He loves beauty. so i dont know how can somebody dislike beauty.

However, what we can say is that beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. What someone finds beautiful, others may not find very beautiful at all.

and beauty can be of many types (man made, natural, outward, inward).
i like all forms of natural beauty :SMILY139:

rightpath_357

i think that everyone sometimes DOES care about how they look, it's a human habit, or a weakness. but we should stop it before it takes away all sense of modesty.

Lookingforlight

Slave of Allah
Yes looks would definitely be an important factor if someone were choosing a partner- but far more important is strength of character.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
:salam2:

This is a no brainer really the way I see it.

Beauty is one of the 4 qualities that we should look in a potential spouse. So why not ?

So I would say "yes, beauty is important".

Then again if the question is "Only solely based on beauty ? (without taking into account piety)" , then the answer should be No.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
well i read somewhere that Allah is beautiful and He loves beauty. so i dont know how can somebody dislike beauty.

This hadeeth is often quoted out of context to justify a lot of things. One should really try and understand the context in which in needs to be understood. :)