Someone who knows english or Arabic grammar ?

Islam!!yay

:salam2:

I read in Surat Al-Hijrah in verse 16 (We have set constellations up in the sky and made it beautiful for all to see....)

Shouldn't it be (and made THEM beautiful for all to see..) considering constellations is plural?

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

Well how I read it is, "We set the constellations in the sky to make it (the sky) beautiful to see."

Islam!!yay

Salaam,

Well how I read it is, "We set the constellations in the sky to make it (the sky) beautiful to see."

That makes sense.....But it wasnt that clear that it was mentioning (The Sky) , well to me it wasnt clear. However I read in another translation , it put THEM , I think that translation was describing the stars.

So confusing lol

pcozzy

the sky is the "it" or it could be the the stars in the sky as one because in Arabic all plural objects(without intelligence) are treated a one female singular.

that is why you see difference in the translations, but in my understanding the verb is referring to the sky and the stars as one whole object, so it should be it.

pcozzy

it is confirmed to be "it" meaning the sky not the stars by looking at the next ayah.

I am surprised the translators didn't consider it.

I have read some of the other translations that use them they are wrong, because the next ayah talks about:

protecting "it" from the devils, it wouldn't make sense to protect the star for in surah al-mulk there is mention of stars being used to protect the heavens.

:wasalam:

fada_all

salam alikom

"We set the constellations in the sky to make it (the sky) beautiful to see."

"it" here refers to the sky so as to make it beautifull to be seen , because allah swt adorned the sky with the stars , and the next ayah give emphacise on the stars which are used to protect it from the devils....allah konws the best..

salam alikom