anyone know??

autumn

Strength in Unity
:salam2:

all the pictures of food look good and even im fasting......do anyone here know how to make a dish called basbusa? i think Sudaneses or Arab dish..i want to know :)

Amtullah

Servant of Allah
As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu Autumn,

They are many recipes (some very different - like with eggs) for making basbousa.

I stick to this recipe now, because I like it.. and it's very easy.

3/4 cup butter - melted
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Combine above ingredients.

2 cups semolina
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda

Combine above three ingredients in a larger bowl.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix.

Pour in greased 11" x 7" pan.
Optional: place almonds on (so one almond lands in the center of one square when you cut it)
Bake at 350F until golden (about 25 mins)
Pour syrup on as soon as it comes out of the oven.

Make syrup while it bakes:
1 cup sugar
1 cup water (or orange juice)
lemon juice (from 1/2 a lemon)

Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 mins. It will thicken a little once cooled.

It may look like a lot of syrup, but it'll all be absorbed.

Cut in squares, and enjoy.

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
Assalamualaikum

:bismillah1:

Yum! I love Basbussa so much. Sometimes it tastes a bit like the Milk Barfi. I dont know, maybe my tastebuds are fooling me. But anyhow, they are both delicious sweets! Cool, Thanks for the recipe, me and my sister tried another one, it was totally mucked up. This one sounds 'normal' as opposed to that one. I think that one had more baking powder and sugar than the actual semolina, and obviously so much sugar goes into the syrup, so it was a bit of a funny recipe, but still all the rose essence and rough texture of the Basbussa are so yummy :D

Jazak Allah Khair for sharing. May Allah reward you.

Assalamualaikum

Amtullah

Servant of Allah
Assalamualaikum

Yum! I love Basbussa so much. Sometimes it tastes a bit like the Milk Barfi. I dont know, maybe my tastebuds are fooling me. But anyhow, they are both delicious sweets! Cool, Thanks for the recipe, me and my sister tried another one, it was totally mucked up. This one sounds 'normal' as opposed to that one. I think that one had more baking powder and sugar than the actual semolina, and obviously so much sugar goes into the syrup, so it was a bit of a funny recipe, but still all the rose essence and rough texture of the Basbussa are so yummy :D

Jazak Allah Khair for sharing. May Allah reward you.

Assalamualaikum

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sister,
Haha.. I've tasted milk barfi, I'm not sure I'll agree they taste the same.. however both are yummy.

Sounds like you and your sister had a fun experience :D
If you try this one, let me know what you think. And you can add the rose essence if you like in either the 'wet ingredients' or the syrup. If you do add it, maybe you don't want to use orange juice in the syrup - I don't know how that would taste.

Take care
Love Farhana

Mahzala

Assalamualaikum

Oh, I meant it tastes like Barfi because of the dodgy recipe that my sister and I were challenged with! And also, I think I was meant to say Moong Barfi not Milk Barfi. :( But trust me with a recipe gone wrong, it tastes like all sorts of things! Anyhow, Jazak Allah Khair for the recipes, May Allah reward you. I am sure the one you cooked was amazingly nice. :)

Fee Amanillah Dear Farhana, Salaamualaikum

allah is with me

Rabana Wa laqal Hamd
i just found this method at net
asbousa/Nammoura

1/4 lb butter (1 stick)

3/4 Cup Sugar

1 Large egg

1/3 Cup Milk

1/3 Cup Plain Yogurt

2 Cups Semolina

1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour

1/4 tsp Baking Powder

Pinch Salt

12-14 blanched, peeled almond halves (optional)

Syrup:

1 Cup Sugar

1/2 Cup Water

1/2 tsp rosewater

1/2 tsp orange blossom water

- Melt the butter in a small sauce pan or in the microwave. Let the butter cool down a little.

- Whisk the egg and sugar together in a bowl. Add in the melted butter, milk and yogurt. Mix till everything is smooth.

- In a separate bowl mix the semolina, flour, baking powder and salt. Add thee liquid mixture to the flour mixture and mix till you get a smooth batter.

- Preheat your oven to 375. Pour the mixture into a well buttered baking dish and let it rest at room temperature while the oven heats up. If you like a thin and crispy on the outside Nammoura, then make sure your batter is about 1/4-1/2 inch thick in the dish. For a more cake-like, gooey Nammoura make it about an inch thick. Either way use a spatula to smooth the top of the batter to an even thickness, then lay the almond halves on their flat side on top spaced about an inch apart. The goal is to get at least one almond per piece.

- Bake in the preheated oven until golden, about one hour

- While the Nammoura is cooking make the syrup. Combine the water and sugar and cook over medium heat till the mixture is syrupy. Add the rosewater and orange blossom water. Take off the heat.

- When the Nammoura is done take it out of the oven and using a knife cut it into 2-inch squares or lozenges. You should have one or two almonds in each piece.

- Pour the syrup all over the still hot Nammoura. Serve warm or at room temperature.
i guess it works

Prosperous

asthagfirullah
:salam2: *ahem*..whats the english name of basboosa?...I think I more or less make that, but I don't call it basboosa, can you please mention english name?..from ingredients it seems to me like the lemon/orange cake I make...or lemon bars???(if you are adding sauce later)

Mahzala

Ah, you hit me hard! This is one of my weaknesses! Basboosa is one of the most delicious desserts known to man :)

If you are ever in Cairo, Egypt, make sure you get a basboosa from a confectionery called "Omar Al-Khayyaam" in Zamaalek district on 26th July avenue. You haven't lived until you've tasted that basboosa ;)

Assalamualaikum Brother Ayman,

Really? Your making me feel like I am locked away in a dark cave. I should definately try that to know the meaning of life ha? Trust me, here in Perth, anyone would feel that way. Its a dead city, really.

Well here in Australia, there are Arab sweet shops and all, but I havent seen Basbusa. I know one shop that is an hour drive from where I live, it was directly opposite my school, it sold it, but I never went, because we got caught crossing the road :( And that was considered serious stuff in high school, it was wagging!! I wouldnt say it was a shop, it was a Bakery that sold many other oriental foods, mostly Arab.

But yum, the thought of it is giving me cravings, I am so hungry for it right now. I am hungry for anything right now to be honest. See what caffiene does to me. A small dose, and I dont feel like myself anymore. :( Anyhow, so off topic.

Fee Amanillah,

Assalamualaikum