Bissara(Moroccan split green peas)

msrebgui

:salam2:

This is a great puree dish to eat with pita bread.

Bissara SUBMITTED BY: Asma Khalfaoui PHOTO BY: OmFurat

"This is one of my treasured recipes, it is wonderful on cold days. This recipe originates from somewhere in North Africa."

RECIPE RATING:

Read Reviews (18)
Review/Rate This Recipe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PREP TIME 10 Min
COOK TIME 1 Hr 10 Min
READY IN 1 Hr 20 Min

SERVINGS (Help)
Servings
US METRIC

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 cloves garlic, crushed
6 cups water
1/3 cup olive oil
3 cups dry green split peas
3 sprigs fresh parsley
1 dried red chile pepper
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
1 pinch salt
1 pinch black pepper
Add to Recipe Box
My folders:

Add to Shopping List
Add a Personal Note

DIRECTIONS
Fry garlic in the vegetable oil in a large pot over low heat until lightly browned. Pour in water and olive oil; stir in split peas, parsley, chili pepper, paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 55 minutes, stirring occasionally so that the peas do not stick to the bottom of the pot. When the peas are tender, mash them with a wooden spoon until smooth; stir in additional water to reach desired consistency.

Sabra

Loved It

Salaam,

I cooked this dish last night, it was so good and tasty. I have a question though, in the pictures it looks like it is yellowish-orange. Mine was kind of like a dull green color like the peas. Is there something you add to make it have that nice rich color. Thanks in advance..........

Salaams Sabra

Prosperous

asthagfirullah
:salam2: but is that oil on top?..i say bro abdalilah. do not add so much oil on food. just use as little as possible not because you would stay slim, but it is healthy.

fada_all

jazaka Allah taala khairan sister , but it's olive oil , it''s not others.
the olive oil is healty sister.

salam alikom

wow u can't imagine how do i like olive oil .not because im from berber but it is healthy as you said and so so deliciouse...........:)

Sabra

Salaams,

Ok, thanks for the reply. In the second picture that looks like fava beans or as in Tunisia, foul. Can they be used with this recipe also? I think if I use the yellow adas, I should get the color in the pictures. Thanks again............

Salaams Sabra