Memorizing Qur'an in English?

Ashima33

Salaam,

So, of course we know there are people who memorize the Qur'an in Arabic... but do people practice to memorize it in English? Or whatever their native language is? Just wondering... I'm thinking I would like to strive to do this.

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
aslam o alikum
sister real Quran is just in Arabic, you can have translations in different language i think almost all the people i have have quran memorized in Arabic but some learn arabic to know the meaning as well

B-R-R

Purifying my soul!
Asalamu alaikum

U see, the Qur'an is in arabic, and the best wording is therefore in arabic. And it is easy to memorize, mostly because Allah wanted it, and because of the rhyming words.

Robab

daughter of Adam
quran learn in arabic language is best

Aslam a alicom.
sister arabic world it is the word of allah suhanah wataalla
so it is most better to learn quran in arabic language.but for understanding we can translate in different languages.ok when we learn quran in its language so we also get blessing of allah.remember that it is a origenal world of allalh.ok:hearts:

Ashima33

Of Course I know the best way to memorize the Qur'an is in Arabic because it is the original and pure form. What got me thinking about memorizing it in english, though is the fact that I'm taking an Arabic class right now... and soon we will move on to reading the Qur'an. We will first read a section in Arabic and then read it in English. While I will still get the meaning this way, I know it will be very tedious.

I guess I'm just trying to say... if I were to strive to just memorize the Qur'an in Arabic... I wouldn't have the same understanding for it if I learned in in English first. This isn't me saying "oh it's better to learn it in someone's native language more than anything" as I understand the benefits of memorizing in arabic.

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Assalamu Alaikum!
BismiAllah:)

I think it's good to memorize it in BOTH, the Quran is OBVIOUSLY in Arababic but some of us just CAN NOT understand Arabic and so it's easier for us to remember the words in our native tongue. I can read Quran in Arabic AlhamduliAllah, but I have hard time remembering some words when I REALLY dont know their meaning. but when I read it In english, I some how think it's EASIER to remember it that way. Allahu A3lam though, but I think what you are saying is that learing it in English to better understand(correct me if I am wrong) and in that case I THINK it's alright because you are trying to understand.
Wasalamu alaikum
allah hafiz NOW and ALWAYS:)

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
When memorized in Arabic (of course with full comprehension of the words)..it is as if you memorized the Qura'an in English as well..

How you may ask?

Well since you are a native English speaker..it will be a breeze for you to think of a verse (that you have memorized) in its original Arabic and translate it immediately in your own words..this can even work for non-native English speakers with very good background in English..when they have a verse or a surah memorized in Arabic..they can translate it quite well into English

With all these different translations of the "meaning" of the Qura'an..it can get quite hectic to memorize one..especially if you find that it's not as good as you thought it was..or you found that is *better*..

Rasulullah (saaws) said (and I do not remember the exact wording of the hadith)..*deeds are not measured by how enormous they are but by how continuous they are*..so though things will be tedious for you initially..inshallah you will be earning the highest of ajer..so strive to earn as much of that as you can to both secure your akhirah and achieve a personal goal :)

:wasalam:

cj986

to be honest... memorizing something without the meaning is useless... It have its ajar... but you are not gonna learn anything. You should memorize it and know the meaning as well so you can shape your life to what Allah SWT have commanded us to.

Umer RA .. In this time, he never let anyone lead the Salah who didn't knew the meanings/translations......
Sahabas were so blessed mashAllah.. not because Prophet Muhammad SAW was there... they have a great rank because they knew what Quran says and use to involve it in every aspect of their life.......

JAK for asking,
hassan