Quran controdicting

SisterKaneez

:salam2:

I have a friend that says the quran contradicts itself when it comes to having "non Muslim" friends. Can you tell me why one passage says to befriend and the other says not to befriend?
Can someone explain why the passages are different?

BigAk

The word in arabic in the Quran is "Auliya'a", and it does not translate into a "Friend".. Wal'ie is arabic is pretty close to what a "father figure" is ... The one who provides, protects, defends, takes care of, etc... The Quran is warning against taking the people of the book as "Auliya'a" which is a prular of "Wal'ie". It does not mean a friend. But, many missionaries clutch on that wrong translation when they find it and present it to show contradictions etc.. Thank God the arabic language is still alive and spoken by millions of people today.

mhamzah

The word in arabic in the Quran is "Auliya'a", and it does not translate into a "Friend".. Wal'ie is arabic is pretty close to what a "father figure" is ... The one who provides, protects, defends, takes care of, etc... The Quran is warning against taking the people of the book as "Auliya'a" which is a prular of "Wal'ie". It does not mean a friend. But, many missionaries clutch on that wrong translation when they find it and present it to show contradictions etc.. Thank God the arabic language is still alive and spoken by millions of people today.

The verse in question being 5:51

O you who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians as 'Auliya', they are but 'Auliya' to one another. And if any amongst you takes them as 'Auliya' then surely he is one of them. Verily, Allah guides not those people who are the Zalimun (polytheists and wrong-doers and unjust)."

The Word Auliya could mean a protector, helper or an allie.

Tafsir: Abul A'ala Maududi

(5:51) Believers! Do not take the Jews and the Christians for your allies. They are the allies of each other. And among you he who takes them for allies, shall be regarded as one of them. Allah does not guide the wrong-doers. (5:52) Indeed you see those afflicted with the disease of hypocrisy race towards them, saying: 'We fear lest some misfortune overtakes us.84 And it may happen that Allah will either bring you a decisive victory or bring about something else from Himself?85 and then they will feel remorseful at their hypocrisy which they have kept concealed in their breasts -

*84. The outcome of the conflict in Arabia between Islam and unbelief (kufr) had not crystallized. Although Islam had become a formidable force owing to the daring, courage and sacrifices of its followers, the forces opposed to it were also tremendously powerful. To an objective observer it must have seemed that either party had an equal chance of success, and so the hypocrites, apparently an integral part of the Muslim body politic, sought to maintain good relations with the Jews and the. Christians as well. They expected refuge and protection from the Jews in case Islam was defeated. Moreover, the Jews and Christians held the greatest economic power in Arabia insofar as the banking system and the greenest and most fertile regions of Arabia were in their possession. For these reasons the hypocrites were keen to maintain good relations with them: they thought that to regard the conflict between Islam and unbelief as crucially important, and to sever their relations with all those currently in conflict with Islam, would be too great a risk both politically and economically.

*85. They were looking for a conclusive victory, or at least something not far short of it, to inspire confidence that the conflict would end in favour of Islam.

:wasalam:

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
MashAllah, very good explanation brother BigAk, brother Hamzah and brother Ayman.

Surah al-Isra', 17:88

Say: "If the humankind and the jinns were together to produce the like of this Quran, they could not produce the like thereof, even if they helped one another."

Surah Hud, 11:13

Or they say, "He (Prophet Muhammad) forged it (the Quran)." Say: "Bring you then ten forged Surah like unto it, and call whomsoever you can, other than Allah (to your help), if you speak the truth!"

Surah Hud, 11:14

If then they answer you not, know then that the Revelation (this Quran) is sent down with the Knowledge of Allah and that none has the right to be worshipped but He! Will you then be Muslims (those who submit to Islam)?

Surah al-Baqara, 2:23

And if you are in doubt Concerning that Which We have sent down To Our slave, Then produce a chapter like it And call your witnesses besides Allah, If you are truthful.

Surah Al-Hijr, 15:9

Verily We: It is We Who have sent down the Reminder (i.e. the Quran) and surely, We will guard it (from corruption).

Nurain

MashAllah, very good explanation brother BigAk, brother Hamzah and brother Ayman.

Surah al-Isra', 17:88

Say: "If the humankind and the jinns were together to produce the like of this Quran, they could not produce the like thereof, even if they helped one another."

Surah Hud, 11:13

Or they say, "He (Prophet Muhammad) forged it (the Quran)." Say: "Bring you then ten forged Surah like unto it, and call whomsoever you can, other than Allah (to your help), if you speak the truth!"

Surah Hud, 11:14

If then they answer you not, know then that the Revelation (this Quran) is sent down with the Knowledge of Allah and that none has the right to be worshipped but He! Will you then be Muslims (those who submit to Islam)?

Surah al-Baqara, 2:23

And if you are in doubt Concerning that Which We have sent down To Our slave, Then produce a chapter like it And call your witnesses besides Allah, If you are truthful.

Surah Al-Hijr, 15:9

Verily We: It is We Who have sent down the Reminder (i.e. the Quran) and surely, We will guard it (from corruption).

Assalamu alaykum,

JazakAllaah khair brothers for sharing your knowledge, ma sha Allaah. Ive been confused about the word "awliya" since the beginning, but decided to swallow the meaning as a "friend" in and just forget it.:astag:

I came to know that the non-muslim world has made a big hoo-haa over this verse "produce a surah like it" and even have websites (which I shan't state, might give them the ratings) on it to refute; not sure what it contains though never been there.

Alhamdu lillaah Allaah has protected the Qur'an and we are so thankful to Him that in spite of crazy things arising, Islam in the purest sense will in cha Allaah be preserved.

Almeftah

I have a friend that says the quran contradicts itself when it comes to having "non Muslim" friends. Can you tell me why one passage says to befriend and the other says not to befriend?
Can someone explain why the passages are different?

(Al-Mumtahina 60) O you who believe! Take not My enemies and your enemies (i.e. disbelievers and polytheists) as friends, showing affection towards them, while they have disbelieved in what has come to you of the truth (i.e. Islâmic Monotheism, this Qur'ân, and Muhammad SAW), and have driven out the Messenger (Muhammad SAW) and yourselves (from your homeland) because you believe in Allâh your Lord! If you have come forth to strive in My Cause and to seek My Good Pleasure, (then take not these disbelievers and polytheists, as your friends). You show friendship to them in secret, while I am All-Aware of what you conceal and what you reveal. And whosoever of you (Muslims) does that, then indeed he has gone (far) astray, from the Straight Path[]. (1) Should they gain the upper hand over you, they would behave to you as enemies, and stretch forth their hands and their tongues against you with evil, and they desire that you should disbelieve. (2) Neither your relatives nor your children will benefit you on the Day of Resurrection (against Allâh). He will judge between you. And Allâh is the All-Seer of what you do. (3)

(Al-Mumtahina 60) Allâh does not forbid you to deal justly and kindly with those who fought not against you on account of religion nor drove you out of your homes. Verily, Allâh loves those who deal with equity. (8) It is only as regards those who fought against you on account of religion, and have driven you out of your homes, and helped to drive you out, that Allâh forbids you to befriend them. And whosoever will befriend them, then such are the Zâlimûn (wrong-doers those who disobey Allâh). (9)