What is a Mahram in Islam?

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Any man with whom a woman has a relationship (of blood or fosterage) that precludes marriage, is considered a Mahram to her.

Women who a man is mahram to, include his mother, grandmother, daughter, granddaughter, sister, aunt, grandaunt, niece, grandniece, his father's wife, his wife's daughter, his mother-in-law, his foster mother (the one who nursed him), foster sisters, and any foster relatives that are similar to the above mentioned blood relatives as the Prophet (SAW) said, "What is forbidden by reason of kindship is forbidden by reason of suckling." (Al-Bukhari)

Men are considered Mahram to these women because Allah (SWT) mentioned them in the Holy Qur'an: "And marry not women whom your fathers married, except what has already passed; indeed it was shameful and most hateful, and an evil way. Forbidden to you (for marriage) are: your mothers, your daughters, your sisters, your father's sisters, your mother's sisters, your brother's daughters, your sister's daughters, your foster mother who gave you suck, your foster milk suckling sisters, your wives' mothers, your step-daughters under your guardianship, born of your wives to whom you have go in - but there is no sin on you if you have not gone in them (to marry their daughters), - the wives of your sons who (spring) from your own loins, and two sisters in wedlock at the same time, except for what has already passed; verily, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (An-Nisa 4:22-23)

All the man's female relatives mentioned in these two verses are considered he is considered Mahram to, because it is unlawful (haram) for him to marry them, except the wife's sister mentioned last, who he is not a Mahram to, because he can marry her if he divorces her sister, or if she dies. Reciprocally, if a woman is a Mahram to a man, such as her brother, her father, her uncle, etc. then he is a Mahram to her. All other relatives he can not be a mahram to and as they fall under the category of strangers to him, except one's wife or husband who are allowed.

Sabra

Assalamu Alaykum,

Would my daughter's husband be considered Mahram? They came for a visit
recently, and I wore my hijab the entire time, because I was not sure about it. Also what about my husband's brother in the family's house if we are planning to visit for a month? Thank You for your reply.

Muslimah99

Bosnian Muslimah
Assalamu Alaykum,

recently, and I wore my hijab the entire time, because I was not sure about it. Also what about my husband's brother in the family's house if we are planning to visit for a month? Thank You for your reply.

your husband's brother is not your mahram

*Sana*

.~.Slave of Allah.~.
Assalamualaikum,

It's such a critical but forgotten and less practised issue in the Islamic society these days. Many of us (inclusive myself - we are all imperfect) don't realise how grave of a sin it is, yet we carry on with premarrital relationships which of course is one of the most obvious cases in which you are interacting with a non-mahram.

And then there comes the less obvious and I guess indirect cases which are "unintentional," like a lady acting inappropriately with her husband's brother. It has become so common these days that it is often overlooked as a sin.

The Western saying "You never know when you are making a memory" should be changed to "You never know when you are committing a sin." Because we are so close to the end of time (the Day of Resurrection), so much fitna has risen and us Muslims are treating it all so normally.

May Allah Ta'allah save us from the turmoils of the Day of Judgement. May Allah Ta'allah guide us all onto the straight path and may He give us better understanding of Islam, its values and morals. May He educate us so that we know the difference between right and wrong. Ameen

Wasalaam.

Muslimah99

Bosnian Muslimah
Assalamualaikum,

It's such a critical but forgotten and less practised issue in the Islamic society these days. Many of us (inclusive myself - we are all imperfect) don't realise how grave of a sin it is, yet we carry on with premarrital relationships which of course is one of the most obvious cases in which you are interacting with a non-mahram.

And then there comes the less obvious and I guess indirect cases which are "unintentional," like a lady acting inappropriately with her husband's brother. It has become so common these days that it is often overlooked as a sin.

The Western saying "You never know when you are making a memory" should be changed to "You never know when you are committing a sin." Because we are so close to the end of time (the Day of Resurrection), so much fitna has risen and us Muslims are treating it all so normally.

May Allah Ta'allah save us from the turmoils of the Day of Judgement. May Allah Ta'allah guide us all onto the straight path and may He give us better understanding of Islam, its values and morals. May He educate us so that we know the difference between right and wrong. Ameen

Wasalaam.

salam sister, EXACTLY, we know what the prophet said about the husband's brother! HE IS DEATH!

Sabra

your husband's brother is not your mahram

Ok, thanks for the info. So if we go for a visit next summer then, I will
definitely wear my hijab in the home. You see my husband's brother lives
at home and we will be staying with them.

Assalamu alaykum warahmatullah

revert2007

Love Fishing
Assalamu Alaykum,

you mean your son-in-law?he is your mahram and you do not need to wear hijab.but if you feel tthat here is something wrong and for safety you may wear hijab.but if you don't wear hijab it is ok and it is not a sin