gravestones

al-islam

salam alikum,
i hope that you are all in the best of health inshallah. i have a question regarding if a muslim passes away
i was listening to a tape about death and the sheikh said that writing on the gravestones is forbidden in islam, but im not sure cause my memory is very poor. does anybody know a link that will confirm this... this is urgent plz

Qur'an&Sunnah

Traveler
:salam2:

In this book Beneficial Speech In Establishing The Evidences Of Tawheed by Shaykh Muhammad Bin Abdul-Wahhaab Al-Wasaabee, the Shaykh gives Sahih Ahadith. "From Jaabir bin 'Abdullah (RA) who said that the Messenger of Allah (SAW) prohibited plastering of the graves and sitting upon it."

"From 'Abu Al-Hayaaj Al-Asadiy who said 'Ali Ibn Abi Taalib (RA) said to me, "I am dispatching you upon what the Messenger (saw) dispatched me upon, that, "you do not leave statues except you deface it nor a grave raised except you level it."

Then the author says,

"The following can be taken from these two ahadeeth:

1. Prohibition of building upon graves.
2. Prohibtion of plastering the graves.
3. Prohibition of sitting upon graves.
4. Prohibition of pictures of those things which have a soul." ETC.

These are some of the things that he covered on graves, InshaAllah if it is not sufficient than InshaAllah someone will come and add to it.

Here is something about placing flowers and the sort on the graves, InshaAllah it will benefit you and maybe you can use the site to answer your question if you do not receive it.

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/48958/Writing on graves

Allahu Alam.
:salam2: