Numerical Contradiction?

Al-Indunisiy

Ok, so I remember when I read the Qur'an it is in Sura 32 that affairs ascend to Allah in aday which is 1000 years in human reckoning. Yet, I also remember somewhere in the Qur'an, it is 50000 years. Can anyone help me on this?

Nayyararsi

Kashmiri Brother
17. ONE DAY IN THE SIGHT OF ALLAH IS 1,000 OR 50,000 YEARS

Question:
A particular verse of the Qur’an says that one day in the sight of Allah is equal to 1000 years. In another verse of the Qur’an it says that one day is equal to 50,000 years. Isn’t the Qur’an contradicting itself?
Answer:
1. Time of Allah is incomparable to earthly time
The Qur’an says in two verses, (22:47 and 32:5), that the measure of one day in the sight of Allah is equal to 1,000 years of our reckoning. In another verse (70:4) it says that the measure of one day in the sight of Allah is equal to 50,000 years of our reckoning.
These verses generally mean that the time of Allah (swt) is incomparable to the earthly time. The examples given are of one thousand years and fifty thousand years of the earthly time. In other words thousands of years or a very, very long time of the earth a day in the sight of Allah is equal to:
2. Yaum also means Period
The Arabic word used in all these three verses is yaum, which, besides meaning a day also means a long period, or an epoch. If you translate the word yaum correctly as ‘period’ there will be no confusion.
a) The verse from Surah Hajj reads as:
"Yet they ask thee to hasten on the Punishment! but Allah will not fail in His promise. Verily a Day in the sight of thy Lord is like a thousand years of your reckoning". [Al-Qur’an 22:47]
When the unbelievers asked to hasten the punishment the Qur’an says Allah will not fail in His promise. Verily a period in the sight of Allah is like a thousand years of your reckoning.
b) The verse from Surah Al-Sajdah says:
"He rules (all) affairs from the heavens to the earth: in the end will (all affairs) go up? To Him, on a Day, the space whereof will be (as) a thousand years of your reckoning". [Al-Qur’an 32:5]
This verse indicates that a period required for all the affairs to go up to Allah (swt), is a thousand years of our reckoning.
c) A verse from Surah Al-Maarij says:
"The angels and the spirit ascend unto Him in a Day the measure whereof is (as) fifty thousand years". [Al-Qur’an 70:4]
This verse means that the period required for angels and the spirits to ascend unto Allah (swt) is fifty thousand years.
d) The period for two different acts need not be the same. For example the period required for me to travel to destination ‘A’ say Vashi is one hour and the period required for me to travel to destination ‘B’ i.e. Kashmir is 50 hours. This does not indicate that I am making two contradictory statements.
Thus the verses of the Qur’an not only do not contradict each other, they are also in perfect harmony with established modern scientific facts

Raihan

The two Qur'anic verses have two different context. They do not mean the same thing. Please read the verses carefully. That's the quickest possible response on this question!

mhamzah

:salam2:

Just like to add another point; verse 70:4 does not mention 'years of your reckoning'.

The angels and the spirits rise up towards Him during a day that spans fifty thousand years. (70:4)

He rules (all) affairs from the heavens to the earth: in the end will (all affairs) go up to Him, on a Day, the space whereof will be (as) a thousand years of your reckoning. (32:5)

Yet they ask thee to hasten on the Punishment! But God will not fail in His Promise. Verily a Day in the sight of thy Lord is like a thousand years of your reckoning (22:47)

Munawar

Striving for Paradise

Just like to add another point; verse 70:4 does not mention 'years of your reckoning'.

The angels and the spirits rise up towards Him during a day that spans fifty thousand years. (70:4)

He rules (all) affairs from the heavens to the earth: in the end will (all affairs) go up to Him, on a Day, the space whereof will be (as) a thousand years of your reckoning. (32:5)

Yet they ask thee to hasten on the Punishment! But God will not fail in His Promise. Verily a Day in the sight of thy Lord is like a thousand years of your reckoning (22:47)

This shows to the world that Islam was far ahead in presenting the Theory of Relativity than Eienstien was.

According to the Theory of Relativity, the time slows down for an object when it moves. The faster an object moves the slower the time will be. Suppose a spaceship moves very fast, e.g. near the speed of light, then when that spaceship comes back to earth next day i.e. only after 24 hours according to the spaceship time, the time on earth would have moved ahead many hundreds of years.

And Theory of Relativity is not the ultimate theory it just only states that time is also a veriable quantity.
:wasalam:

an indian public speaker answers this very question at this link. please click:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WDNyZ9EdLo

even salafis recognizes that Dr. Zakir Naik is a muslim.

whats up with this nationalistic and racist attitude you have. seems your username is really catching up to you.

A muslim, especially who is addressing the people to understand Islam, should be referred to by the best names.

anyway as to these questions about numbers, Arabic language can't be translated to english word for word. The Arabic has far too many words to describe the same thing. Each having a different state. So when time is mentioned, it depends on the context of the sentence and how it was used. If a person is serious and truely has the desire to know or resolve questions raised, he must learn Arabic. Then he or she will realize even more the greatness of the Quran. I mean if you have a firm beleif without Arabic and you learn Arabic, your heart with melt even more and the tears will start shedding. And you will feel the communication of Allah to mankind greater than otherwise.

just be patient, anytime you get a question about something, just wait it would be cleared up, with Allah willing it.

even salafis recognizes that Dr. Zakir Naik is a muslim.

whats up with this nationalistic and racist attitude you have. seems your username is really catching up to you.

what a disappointing thing to say. i never said this person was a non-muslim. this person himself says he is an indian and he says he is a public speaker. so i just called him by the words he uses to describe himself. i dont see any words i used that were disparaging.

and what does this mean. even salafis recognizes that Dr. Zakir Naik is a muslim. what does even mean? aren't salafis human?

indian public speaker is a very neutral terminology. its not an abusive or hateful word. there is no problem with using words that a person uses to describe himself.

unfortunately it is obvious, out of any gathering of muslims, there are always muslim extremists who like to take things out of context and fight over nothing